Answered

Volume levels too high after 15.2 update

Show first post

170 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Absolutely ridiculous that this isn’t fixed yet. Still can’t use my speakers properly due to this issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Bump. Still no fix and Sonos support won’t provide an update. This has massively dented my faith in Sonos having been a customer for over 10 years - they’re leaving so many people unable to use their systems with this issue. 

I can’t believe this isn’t fixed yet. 
To be honest, even before this “update” level 1 was a bit too loud for bedroom before going to sleep listening, now it’s just ridiculous, we don’t really use our bedroom Sonos any more.

Please fix this, I really don’t want to change our home speaker system again.

I’m having the same issue. I use Sonos 1 speakers for background music at my office. The lowest level is now so loud that I’ve had to turn them off. Removing and re-adding the apple music app did not help.

Same problem here on all Sonos speakers with Apple Music as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still not fixed in update 15.7.

What on earth are Sonos playing at!?

I paid a lot of money for my Era 300, and I can’t use it in the bedroom at night because volume 0 is silent and volume 1 is far too loud. I don’t understand how anyone would make this intentional behavior. 

I’ll likely get rid of this speaker and get a HomePod now, because Sonos lacks the most basic function of a speaker: volume control. 

Badge

Hi @Tom_69 

As explained in my previous post, the current behaviour is by design, so we are not attempting to “fix” anything.

Feature requests can take a long time to actualise, and as this one goes against the intended behaviour, there is no guarantee any changes will be made at all.

if you’re not going to “fix” this what can I do to get lower volume out of my system? If this is by design it is ridiculous. I’ve had Sonos for years and use it for background music when working. It’s now too loud. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Surprised at how bad Sonos support is on this. They keep emailing me saying they’re going to close my ticket and if I still have an issue to get in touch with them. 

I’ve reminded them that this is a fundamental

and major issue with their latest system update for anyone with Apple Music and I’ve requested another update on the fix. 

Badge

Thanks for the reply Corry.

Not all my Sonos gear is directly AirPlayable - I’ve been in the ecosystem for more than 15 years. 

In any case I don’t want to airplay as I want the background music to remain on when I go out for others to enjoy. Recently my wife has been asking if I could turn down the music to which I’ve replied it’s all the way down. Ended up having to turn it off. It’s all very annoying to have this happen when previously it was working perfectly. 

I don’t want to ditch Apple Music which I get with my Apple One subscription.

This really needs to be rectified. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @maynard 

I understand. All I can really do is pass along your feedback, which I will.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Update 15.11 has still not fixed the Apple Music playback volume issue. I also haven’t received any further response from the CEO correspondence. 

It’s now 9 months since Sonos introduced this issue and still no sign that they want to fix it. 

Badge

Thank god I’m not only 1. 
this is driving me crazy. 
For a system that SHOUKD BE AMAZING. . 
I’m more often frustrated. 
now too loud on No 1. . . 
I want background music for working at home and nighttime sounds quiet. Now impossible. ! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Tom_69 

its one of the reasons why I ditched Apple Music, the gain is set way to high to get decent quality sound even at higher volume levels.

switched to Qobuz and am happier now with the volume control and the quality, I lose atmos and voice control but not bothered by that.

hope this is resolved for you sooner than later 

Have you tried a reboot of your speakers (power cycle?). 

I’ve also updated a bunch of PLAY:1s and PLAY:3s to 15.2, and have not experienced any change whatsoever in volume, thankfully. 

However, you may want to submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

Userlevel 2

Still having this issue as well. However, I have noticed that files coded as MPEG or .mp3 are the culprits of being too loud. Apple Music and iTunes purchases (AAC, m4a) files have consistent volume when played via AM through the Sonos App. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still not fixed in 15.5. It’s been 3 months now. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I believe that it shouldn’t be that difficult to change the scale of the volume bar so that the volume level 1 would become 10 (or something) or they might add volume level 0,25 0,5 and 0,75 (or something like that). That would fix the problem very easily. No need to thing about some complex solutions... 

It is just ridiculous that there is no fix from Sonos in sight for this topic. The volume level is completely unusable at the moment. When I start playing music let’s say on level 20 it is sometimes very quiet (probably because I used AirPlay or a different music service before, like @Grubble just mentioned). As soon as I move the volume slider it reset to this awful behavior, where level 20 is unbearable loud.

I also tried the volume limit feature. Now when I set the volume to 4 it is too loud. Setting it to level 3 the music is completely muted. Come on, that can not be the intended behavior.

Please Sonos fix this. Before 15.2 everything was just fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Glad it’s not just me then. I’m testing it right now on another speaker and Apple Music is definitely the issue. 

If you can, please log a fault with Sonos as this is the sort of thing only they can fix, and it’s driving me mad! 

same problem over here. I use Apple Music. At night I have pouring rain that plays; I set an alarm in Sonos to start playing it at bedtime. Good lord, it scared the crap out of me when it started playing a couple nights ago--it was like I was caught in a goddamned typhoon it was so loud!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem for me. I have a speaker set up right behind where people sit at a table. For years volume level 4-6 was enough for some nice background music. Suddenly since the most recent update even volume level 1 is WAY too loud!  

Userlevel 2
Badge

How has this not been fixed yet?  It’s been a month and I’m still having the same issue.  My Sonos speakers that I’ve always used for background music when I have friends over are all but worthless now.  Volume at level 1 is still WAY too high on many songs, but is just fine on others.  Absolutely ridiculous that this has gone on as long as it has for a system that I’ve spend multiple thousands of dollars building.  Starting to think about jumping ship and going with another system entirely.  

Userlevel 2

Still not fixed after 15.5 update……..

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This issue is still not fixed in update 15.10, no updates from the CEO’s senior advisors either.