Answered

Volume levels too high after 15.2 update

Show first post

170 replies

That’s definitely odd. I’d probably want to power cycle the speakers first, to force them to reload, and if it continues, I’d call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 1

After a half hour of chat support, we have a fix! Remove your Apple Music account from your system. Reset the Sonos Controller App, then re-add your Apple Music to the services and the volumes seem fixed…….for now.

Hope this helps everyone else that lands on this thread!

• GrandpaTrike Thank you for this!! This has fix the same issue I was having with Amazon Music (after updating to 15.2) - issue was occurring from the changing audio quality for each song, that you can’t control/set. HD & Ultra HD fine but soon as Dolby track came on... BAM!! Getting shouted at by speakers and the partner 😑.  

Issue has returned after 24 hours and the above fix now no longer works.

This would have to be done track by track?  I’ve not had this issue until recently.  Any ideas why there may have been a change?  I’ve not changed my music library recently beyond moving some files to a different folder.

Userlevel 2

I have the same issue with Apple Music. The solution, to remove the Apple Music Account and re-add doesn't fix anything for me. ;(

This would have to be done track by track?  I’ve not had this issue until recently.  Any ideas why there may have been a change?  I’ve not changed my music library recently beyond moving some files to a different folder.

With software such as MP3Tag the library tracks can be batch-updated to any/every track selected in its interface - so it’s not necessary to do it track by track - personally I don’t use any normalisation and just play the tracks as intended, but I appreciate that others prefer to use this feature.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still not fixed in update 15.6. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Maybe the only solution is to all of us move away from Apple Music to Spotify ? Like all of you I cannot work anymore with volume set to 1 in the whole house (using 12 Sonos products). Another solution might be to sell Sonos products and to buy newer and better equipment from other sound manufacturers. The only sure thing is that staying as is = not the solution. I will evaluate my options and decide what I will remove to solve this key issue.

Just curious, as the Wife and I use Apple Music too (amongst other MSP’s, like Deezer and Amazon Music, aswell as Spotify free version), but do you find this 1% volume-level troubling on all your Sonos products?

We have a Ray, two Era 100s and Sub in our Kitchen/Diner area (as an example) which is about 14’ square in size and the Wife and I would struggle to hear the Apple audio in that room at that low level of 1% even with the surrounds set to ‘Full’ rather than ‘Ambient’.. So I’m just wondering if you find it occurs on just some Sonos products?

In fact there’s not that much of a huge difference between each of the services at 1% volume - nothing that I would be too concerned about at least, to even think to mention it. I guess though that the Wife and I are approx. 6 feet away from each of the speakers (give or take) when we sit around the breakfast bar.

Our Fridge would drown out the sound completely at that 1% volume level, quite easily, I would say.

The issue is apparent on all of my Sonos devices.

2x Play 1’s, Era 100, Play 3, Roam and the latest gen Five. 

It’s entirely possible that this isn’t a Sonos issue to ‘fix’, since it’s not equally affecting all services. It may be that Sonos has passed on the information to Apple, who needs to make an adjustment on their servers, and Sonos can’t force them into assigning an engineer to do so. 

@Tom_69,

Really? …Taking my two Roams, just as one example here, I would really struggle to hear those at 1% volume level. That’s even if they were grouped, or stereo paired and positioned right next to me.

I wonder why different Sonos users are hearing such a huge difference🤔?

I recently did a routine hearing test (result attached) and that was passed with quite a good result. At least I’m not (yet) a candidate for a hearing aid, it seems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This wasn’t a problem in the previous 4-5 years and I don’t use Apple Music. Live TV, Spotify, Audacy, Amazon Music, Pandora and Xbox are all too loud.  

This is 1% at 10’ away. 

Which speaker is this on? I’ve been doing more testing since the last update and I’ve found an added variable which was not present previously. Interesting to see if it’s just me. 

It’s liable to be a fix that Apple needs to do. Sonos uses the same API/player for all music, for one streaming company to have an issue, but not all of them leads to the thought that it’s the source providing a different level to the Sonos for playback. Sonos, of course, doesn’t have control over Apple’s engineering priorities. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

First big question here is which music service or source are you using.

All my Sonos, 6 kinds, all have nearly inaudible audio at setting 1. Using Amazon or the Music Library.

Also having the same problem unfortunately. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @maynard 

I understand. All I can really do is pass along your feedback, which I will.

I can only emphasize this once again: the problem isn’t Apple Music new algorithm, we all understand that new codecs require new code to handle them and sometimes it just isn’t possible to do it the old way.

The PROBLEM is that we couldn’t play our favorite music silently enough, there just isn’t enough notches in Sonos interface..  zero notch is silence, first notch is WAY WAY to loud for some of us. 

Maybe we should rename this thread to “Bug in volume control / volume limit”?

Volume limit from Sonos settings looks like it was created to solve our problem, but it is bugged (by accident or by purpose)

Volume Limit 100% - notches are: 0% -1% -2% - 3%, etc
Volume Limit 050% - notches are: 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 (instead 0 - 0.5 - 1 - 1.5)
Volume Limit 025% - notches are: 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 (instead 0 - 0.25 - 0.50 - 0.75 - 1.00)

Could you please at least clarify that it is expected behavior or there is something wrong in “Volume / Volume Limit” settings?

I really liked my Sonos, but since this problem started, I switched to Homepod and rarely turn on my Sonos anymore..

Update 15.3 has just been released with ‘bug fixes’. Unfortunately it doesn’t fix the volume issue, Apple Music playback is still way too loud. 

Sonos support have also completely stopped responding to me still and closed my ticket (even though I continually asked them not to as it’s still a problem) so I have no idea what the progress is. They literally don’t care about their customer’s experience, it’s shocking.  

Sonos is like “LOL, who invited these outcasts to the party? La la la *skips off*”

:(

Or perhaps the fix wasn’t ready, and there wasn’t time to test it for this release, which may have been ‘locked in’ long before they started looking at the issue? 

@Corry P : it would be great hearing back from you on this matter. Anything that you can share? Even if the implementation needs time it would be great to hear that the issue was at least acknowledged and is being worked on.

Not sure if you’ve missed it, but @Corry P has already commented on this topic here:

Our Play 1s have has this problem for months. Our upstairs Beam- separate from the Play 1s - has the opposite problem. There’s no volume limit on the TV. 

Userlevel 2

Same problem here with me, the playlist (hosted on Apple Music) that i use as a alarm clock on is on volume 1 since years but out of nowhere is WAY to loud whereas The radio station that i use at volume level 1 is fine 

The ‘fix’ needs to occur on Apple’s side. Sonos engineers don’t have the ability to make changes on Apple’s servers.