Answered

Volume levels too high after 15.2 update

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

170 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The ‘fix’ needs to occur on Apple’s side. Sonos engineers don’t have the ability to make changes on Apple’s servers. 

It’s irrelevant where the fault lies. Sonos is our service provider and they’ve broken their service and not fixed it for 3 months and counting. 

Hi Ken,

Each speaker had been setup individually with the same track and max volume set to 35%.

It would appear that when grouping airplay and non airplay speakers together the app (Sonos) adds the 35% max volume of each speaker together and then increases the max volume to 70%.

To test that I grouped the two airplay speakers I have, One SL and Play 5 gen 2s, together and the volume stayed the same.

I can’t imagine this ongoing issue is that obvious, but the phrase “the biggest problems often have the simplest solutions.” does sound rather apt at this time

Same issue here specifically Apple Music

I’m not sure if this is related, but the symptoms are similar.  I’m using QNAP and streaming my own music and using the Sonos folders options with MOVE.  About one week ago, I started having the issues outlined above on Sonos MOVE, but for my own music library and not a service.  Is this related and is there a fix?

Hi Ken,

Each speaker had been setup individually with the same track and max volume set to 35%.

It would appear that when grouping airplay and non airplay speakers together the app (Sonos) adds the 35% max volume of each speaker together and then increases the max volume to 70%.

To test that I grouped the two airplay speakers I have, One SL and Play 5 gen 2s, together and the volume stayed the same.

I can’t imagine this ongoing issue is that obvious, but the phrase “the biggest problems often have the simplest solutions.” does sound rather apt at this time

I’ve not seen the issue reported before here in the community and sadly I can’t test it myself (as mentioned earlier). It maybe best to take up the matter with Sonos Support Staff, that’s if you’ve not done so already. I’m not even sure if they are aware of the issue as this thread is a different issue, I believe. Anyhow here’s the link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I paid a lot of money for my Era 300, and I can’t use it in the bedroom at night because volume 0 is silent and volume 1 is far too loud. I don’t understand how anyone would make this intentional behavior. 

I’ll likely get rid of this speaker and get a HomePod now, because Sonos lacks the most basic function of a speaker: volume control. 

Thats also my fact! I am using Sonos for years now and build up a great music system in my household for lot of money. Now i am using Apple Music which addIn is provided by Sonos - thats a buying argument - and i noticed, that if i am using a source like TuneIN, i am able to fall asleep while i am playing some sleep tracks from there on Sonos Volume Level up to 4! If i do so on Apple Music, i am not able to fall asleep on Sonos Volume Level 1!! So if that is not a bug, maybe the fact that Sonos has no available Normalize Option is a fact for a bug!? So i would also appreciate if Sonos would be able to “fix” that bug as soon as possible as we are already having this bug since 18 Month now! This is not a appropriate reaction time for this level of company! Thanks.

Hi all, funny thing! I just updated to 15.3 yesterday and the volume of the sub has lowered! Before I had a great sounds with +1 volume level for the sub. Now I have to adjust it to +10 voor same sound quality. one SL are louder then before. Before they were at 0 level now I have to set them to -2. Spoke with Sonos about it, the don’t see a problem……

sounds was great before the update 😣

Right. Sonos surely controls Apple’s engineering efforts, or has access to making code changes on Apple’s servers. Got it. 

I’m not sure if this is related, but the symptoms are similar.  I’m using QNAP and streaming my own music and using the Sonos folders options with MOVE.  About one week ago, I started having the issues outlined above on Sonos MOVE, but for my own music library and not a service.  Is this related and is there a fix?

It’s probably not related - what is the issue exactly?

I have 14 sonos units - but now they are too loud on level one - I’m going crazy - Please fix

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m new to Sonos but am now having problems with my Era 300 pair.  Whether I use Apple or Amazon Music I have volume problems, too low and then increases by itself?  This is through Sonos App.  Also AirPlay erratic for both services with one speaker seemingly becoming disconnected according to message in App.  Elsewhere it reports an excellent connection?  Very odd and not good at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Still isn’t fixed in update 15.4. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Some thoughts… maybe the App volume-level curve is global and therefore a ‘balancing act’ across all the music services/audio sources that Sonos presently support (and across all their different hardware products too) and that’s why these things are perhaps presently ‘by design’🤔?

Some music services undoubtedly output the various audio sources in different quality and so maybe slightly quieter than others …and adjusting the App volume curve is perhaps a much bigger task than we perhaps realise. It might mean there’s a ‘potential fix’, but the engineering costs to do it, may not justify the work involved, particularly for a minority of users that seem to experience this issue with Apple Music on their particular model/combination of Sonos speakers. A case of.. ‘You can’t please all the people, all of the time’. 

As I outlined earlier in this thread, I do not notice the issue on a Beam HT setup in our main bedroom and the Wife and I subscribe to Apple Music, Amazon Music and use many other music services too via the Sonos App …and Apple Music is not significantly louder than the other services at 1% volume-level. That said, we don’t sit within a couple of feet of the HT speakers anyway to be concerned by the volume at that 1% low level.

If a fix is forthcoming maybe it needs to come from the Apple side of things to reduce the potential cost of re-engineering the Sonos software/hardware controls too.

All speculation of course, but my other thought is if Sonos do change this in response to the acknowledged "feature request”  - then the Staff who frequent this user-community will likely announce it in this thread anyway, proximate to any Sonos firmware/app update.

I’d recommend that call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1

I finally solved my problem after all months with too loud on level one. I had to get one speaker that managed AirPlay because Play1 and my playbar is too old. Then I start the music from my iPad (you can use any Appleproduct) in the Music-app with AirPlay to that speaker and after that I can manage all speakers with the Sonos app and with Sonobit on my Applewatch. Now level 14 is my normal and 6 is very very low level on the music.

How do you log a fault, or do you mean contact their support?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How do you log a fault, or do you mean contact their support?

Yep, contact support with the issue 👍🏻

I just updated the iOS app (it had to be done manually) and also had a firmware update and I’m experiencing the opposite. I now have to crank it to 100% to not even get the volume I had at 50% before the update watching TV. It’s pathetic.

To be clear, I’m just watching TV on a soundbar with Sonos 1 surrounds and the woofer. No Apple Music even connected to the account

Userlevel 1

Do we have to email Apple for a fix or it's Sonos that can fix it. Thanks.

It’s really unusual, I’m not experiencing this at all. 

Maybe the only solution is to all of us move away from Apple Music to Spotify ? Like all of you I cannot work anymore with volume set to 1 in the whole house (using 12 Sonos products). Another solution might be to sell Sonos products and to buy newer and better equipment from other sound manufacturers. The only sure thing is that staying as is = not the solution. I will evaluate my options and decide what I will remove to solve this key issue.

In the last few days, my Move plays some songs that I’m streaming from my QNAP at low levels and others at high levels, even though the set volume is the same.  I’ve not changed the settings or the music being streamed.

Maybe the only solution is to all of us move away from Apple Music to Spotify ? Like all of you I cannot work anymore with volume set to 1 in the whole house (using 12 Sonos products). Another solution might be to sell Sonos products and to buy newer and better equipment from other sound manufacturers. The only sure thing is that staying as is = not the solution. I will evaluate my options and decide what I will remove to solve this key issue.

Just curious, as the Wife and I use Apple Music too (amongst other MSP’s, like Deezer and Amazon Music, aswell as Spotify free version), but do you find this 1% volume-level troubling on all your Sonos products?

We have a Ray, two Era 100s and Sub in our Kitchen/Diner area (as an example) which is about 14’ square in size and the Wife and I would struggle to hear the Apple audio in that room at that low level of 1% even with the surrounds set to ‘Full’ rather than ‘Ambient’.. So I’m just wondering if you find it occurs on just some Sonos products?

In fact there’s not that much of a huge difference between each of the services at 1% volume - nothing that I would be too concerned about at least, to even think to mention it. I guess though that the Wife and I are approx. 6 feet away from each of the speakers (give or take) when we sit around the breakfast bar.

Our Fridge would drown out the sound completely at that 1% volume level, quite easily, I would say.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t feel this is just an Apple Music issue. While it is consistently too loud with Apple Music, I’ve also noticed some strange volume issues with Spotify that I never noticed before. It may just be the playlists I’ve listened to, but some Spotify songs seem to be  “normal” (pre-update) volume, and other songs are way too loud.

This wasn’t a problem in the previous 4-5 years and I don’t use Apple Music. Live TV, Spotify, Audacy, Amazon Music, Pandora and Xbox are all too loud.  

This is 1% at 10’ away.