Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen:2 will not connect to WiFi

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Hi, same issue here and hoping to get a quick analytics feedback to reach out the SONOS support with a qualified request. Diagnostics number is 1853344718.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Same problem. Quick call with Sonos help desk and they figured out is was a hardware issue and have sent a replacement. Great customer service 

Apparently I had not done it. Now my system is working fine again! Thanks

@Claudia1991 

Did you follow Sonos’ recommendations to connect to a new router?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. The play 5 gen 2 was working fine, then we changed the router system and it could never connect again via wifi. Same happened to our Symfonisk model.

I ran a diagnostics with # 970988790.

Please help

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @yoshter, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community. We appreciate bringing this concern to us and for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the report, I see that your Sonos Play 5 is experiencing a hardware failure. It’s a WiFi card related issue. This is why your Sonos Play 5 only connects to your system if it’s wired to your router.

At this point, we recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care to further assist you on this or possible product replacement. Our phone support team is closed on weekends. You can reach on weekdays, 9 am - 5 pm GMT, Monday - Friday. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

My Play 5 stopped working over wifi but still works wired. Perhaps wifi card issue?

Diagnostic ID 1957193714

Dead WiFi card.

Sonos support replaced it for a new unit out of warranty 

Same problem. It won’t connect to the WiFi or even start its own WiFi when trying to connect. SONOS Play:5 Gen 2.

Diagnostics: 618762070

I now have the same problem

Play5 had been working on WiFi fine for two years

Halfway through playback it crashed and would not connect back to WiFi. Settings reset and all usual troubleshooting steps taken. It works over Ethernet but still refuses to connect to WiFi (that had no changes made)

diag 1503335533

Thanks @jaycone. Unfortunately it’s working on my Play 5. I’ve tried all channels but no luck. I suspect there’s something wrong with the WiFi module. I will contact the Sonos phone support.

Sorry, it’s not working...

Thanks @jaycone. Unfortunately it’s working on my Play 5. I’ve tried all channels but no luck. I suspect there’s something wrong with the WiFi module. I will contact the Sonos phone support.

@ericcsng I went into the settings for the Sonos and the netgear admin panel and changed both so that the 2.4ghz was broadcasting on the same channel...you might need to click around to find that in each but I think it’s pretty straight forward. Let me know if you can’t find those settings and I can go back and check and send screenshots. Hope this works for you...

@Airgetlam my point was that an additional device is required for the Sonos to work in a wifi network. The Boost doesn’t fix wifi issues, it fixes Sonos issues…

Obviously you can hardwire it to a router via ethernet...which is what I’ve been doing. That’s not why I bought a “wireless” speaker. The Orbi mesh or any other mesh system is the latest home wireless network technology that is designed to work..in homes! With consumer devices, like Sonos...my other point is...no other device has any issue working instantly on my Orbi mesh network without any “tinkering”...from the newest/latest gadgets to the 5 plus year old devices.

Sonos made the same claim that somehow their devices are much more complex or complicated and therefor don’t readily work on any home network...I think that’s BS...and if it is the case, it’s a poorly designed product. The fact that it only works on 2.4ghz for one, is lame. I don’t even have any satellites set up for my mesh network and am in a small apartment…

I’m not sure about your explanation as to why Sonos is different in how it behaves on a network versus any other device. “it talks to all points of installation”  I have one Speaker... “versus a single point outside your network”... I have one wireless access point that is broadcasting on 2.4 and 5...period...A device connects via whatever channel is best… most basic devices can connect to 2.4 or 5...and or a/b/g/n...it’s pretty standard for any network device. If Sonos are indeed designed specifically as network devices, they don’t work very well.

By the way, I was able to get it to work on my Orbi mesh network...but not from what Sonos told me. They were supportive/helpful on their chat support. Phone support was terrible. Neither was able to find a solution.

I’m also using Orbi and the Play 5 can’t connect to the WiFi network (two Play 1 are working fine), can you please share your resolution? Thanks

@Airgetlam my point was that an additional device is required for the Sonos to work in a wifi network. The Boost doesn’t fix wifi issues, it fixes Sonos issues…

Obviously you can hardwire it to a router via ethernet...which is what I’ve been doing. That’s not why I bought a “wireless” speaker. The Orbi mesh or any other mesh system is the latest home wireless network technology that is designed to work..in homes! With consumer devices, like Sonos...my other point is...no other device has any issue working instantly on my Orbi mesh network without any “tinkering”...from the newest/latest gadgets to the 5 plus year old devices.

Sonos made the same claim that somehow their devices are much more complex or complicated and therefor don’t readily work on any home network...I think that’s BS...and if it is the case, it’s a poorly designed product. The fact that it only works on 2.4ghz for one, is lame. I don’t even have any satellites set up for my mesh network and am in a small apartment…

I’m not sure about your explanation as to why Sonos is different in how it behaves on a network versus any other device. “it talks to all points of installation”  I have one Speaker... “versus a single point outside your network”... I have one wireless access point that is broadcasting on 2.4 and 5...period...A device connects via whatever channel is best… most basic devices can connect to 2.4 or 5...and or a/b/g/n...it’s pretty standard for any network device. If Sonos are indeed designed specifically as network devices, they don’t work very well.

By the way, I was able to get it to work on my Orbi mesh network...but not from what Sonos told me. They were supportive/helpful on their chat support. Phone support was terrible. Neither was able to find a solution.

I have the same problem with one of my PLAY:5 (Gen2). Only ethernet works. Please help. Diagnostics number 735469934

It’s not required, you could wire a speaker and achieve the same result, but you were saying that wasn’t possible, so I provided the designed alternative. 

But the BOOST isn’t a silver bullet that fixes all Wi-Fi issues, it is just a device that might help some issues, and remove the bandwidth from your own Wi-Fi. But it’s still a radio network, and subject to all the cases of wifi interference that any Wi-Fi signal is subject to. And particularly on some mesh systems, which by default use different channels for each pod, and some that don’t allow you access to set your own channel that is used. Sonos needs all devices to be on the same channel because they talk to each other at all times in order to stay in sync, they tend to have substantial issues if they’re on differing channels for each pod that they’re connected to. 

Since Sonos is a networked system, is does rely on that solid backbone in order to work. And since it talks to all points of installation across your network, it’s unlike most, if not all, other Devices youtpr network, which just connect to a single point outside your network. If there are challenges for the Sonos to communicate with the other speakers on your network, it has difficulty, as you’ve discovered.

I hope you’re able to resolve the issues your system is experiencing. 

although i wish I knew the BOOST was required to make the system work...I get it if you have 18 sonos devices… I have one...so another $100 to make it work...not ideal.

I haven’t looked at the Boost...will check it out...thanks

That’s why Sonos makes the BOOST, for people like you and me who don’t have a speaker close enough to our router that we can wire an Ethernet cable to. Since I started using the BOOST, and assigned reserved IP addresses to my system, I’ve not had any issues, either with playback or with updating my 18 Sonos devices. 

That’s how I currently have it set up...but (for me) the whole point is to have the flexibility to place the speaker where I want without having to be tethered by an ethernet cable...as in wireless...if it doesn’t work on a wifi network, what’s the point? Otherwise I would have purchased a bluetooth speaker...

But a wired system still works fine, if you connect the Sonos to the root device on your mesh network, so the Sonos relies on their own network, rather than your mesh network. 

latest update. After long chat session was told to call phone/tech support. The tech support told me after 2 minutes that Sonos was not compatible with netgear/Orbi or any mesh wifi networks...no solution. Pretty weak response...

Same as everyone else here. Sonos 5 Gen 2...wish I had searched here first...I’ve spent too many hours scouring the settings on my router, restarting everything...etc...here’s my diagnostics report number: 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @daniel.bessler,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report. 

It does look like your Play: 5 has a hardware issue that we will need to resolve with you directly. 

I will be happy to follow up with you through direct-messaging or you can reach directly out to our support team via email to resolve this.