Worst most complicated piece you'll ever buy. Avoid at ALL costs

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Unfortunately people don't research what they are buying and blame the product for not doing what they had intentions for vs buying the proper product or device. Or not knowing how to properly use what they bought or educate how.
Yeh I know, just venting my frustration. It's not like it's not easy to research these things nowadays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Unfortunately people don't research what they are buying and blame the product for not doing what they had intentions for vs buying the proper product or device. Or not knowing how to properly use what they bought or educate how.
Bbc changed the rules not sonos
Mine works fine☺
I am amazed. I am a Sonos retailer in Leicester and I have seen most of the issues below and come across many types of customer but have resolved all issues and never had a dissatisfied customer. Sonos is incredible but often people need help integrating it in to their life. That is where we and most independent retailers will be happy to help. Briefly, Sonos Play bar does have digital in, it's the only Sonos product which does. If you have more than one digital source, use an optical switch to allow more than one source in to the bar. If you what better streamed music add a network player such as a AVA media Rip'n'play. This plays better than most CD quality. As for the guy who wanted to play of his iPhone with a 3.5mm jack, the Sonos will play same quality but with out a jack. Stunningly easy. Remember, if you buy from a 'no help' re seller you will get no help. After 2 minutes of face to face questions (forget the internet) with your local retailer, you will know if they will be able to help you. We don't do distance selling but if you are in Leicester come and find us. Around Sound, Stoneygate.
After reading the whole thread I get the impression that the complainers here have bought the wrong system for their needs. Simple research would have confirmed the lack of headphone support. As for connecting a CD player, I assume you have an amplifier. Add a Connect and you can stream CDs across your Sonos system. If the only stations you listen too are BBC, buy a radio. Alternatively stream radio via Sky to Sonos. My system consists of one Playbar, one Connect, one Play3, one Play1 and a Bridge. These are spread over three floors. Apart from following Sonos instructions for setting up I have not needed to do anything else for the system to work. I find Sonos convenient and easy to use. Having the controller on my smart phone and tablet is great. I always have one or the other with me and that saves the need for a separate controller in every location i have Sonos. Freinds who also have Sonos think it is great. I recently recommended to another friend and she found it simplicity itself to set up and she certainly isn't the most technically minded person. I will be adding more and will continue to add more. It is a shame that some of the posters on this discussion have found Sonos not to fit their requirements, but that is why there is a large number of alternatives to choose from. After all one size does not fit all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You are correct Kevin ... not that Sonos is completely blameless (slow speed of development for wish list items) ... but many people complain because they did not understand the system they purchased.  It doesn't fit everyones needs and many people buy Sonos that don't have an interest in the things that Sonos does better then any other multi-room networked wireless speaker.  But a Bluetooth or Airplay it is not ... and wasn't conceived to be.  But give me a reliable networked player with rock solid mesh network and no server software required to play local library ... that is what I purchased and got.
Worked for about 1 month direct from an iphone (only way I have got it to work recently) - now that has stopped too.

Credit to Sonos for keeping this thread open and letting people hear real life experience of how rubbish their product is - or maybe they just don't care?

I guess if you spend enough on marketing it drowns out poor product to some extent.

Have you actually tried to do anything to fix the issue, like raise a support call? The fact is the overwhelming majority of Sonos systems work without any trouble at all, it's a very GOOD product, the best one out there. you probably have a very simple problem that will would fix your issues if it can be identified but if you won't engage in that process then nobody can help you. It's entirely up to you.
Bishoptonbubble,

I had an experience that, while a bit uncomfortable for me, speaks for customer satisfaction.

While walking through a train station near rush hour, carrying an unwrapped SONOS box, a total stranger recognized the package and stopped me, bubbling with enthusiasm, to tell me how much I would enjoy the product.
Userlevel 1
How much do you want for your system?
I am new to the Sonos world but before I shelled out the bucks for a 1, 3 & 5, I researched it thoroughly. I've spent big bucks on Bluetooth devices that sounded like crap. We had an iHome wireless speaker that we never could get to connect. The Sonos system has been trouble-free, the streaming services are top-notch. The line in on the Play 5 is useful, though with all the other choices we have, we rarely tap our CD collection anymore. I wonder how many of the trolls who resort to profanity to slander others in community boards such as this are actually misguided employees from competitor companies? I just shake my head and move on....

I also wonder if many of the problems some have is related more to their cable providers, wifi routers, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, thanks for all the great words of support and encouragement here for the product. As with anything there can be problems and we're here to help. The majority of problems tends to be related to something environmental or on the network that can be resolved with a bit of troubleshooting and diagnostics.

If you do come to this thread because you've had problems or are running into any issue with your Sonos system please let us know. We want to help you fix it. Our support team is available here on the community, and you can also reach us via email or call us on the phone. Our support line information is posted here for your region: http://www.sonos.com/contact We can help.

I had an experience that, while a bit uncomfortable for me, speaks for customer satisfaction.

While walking through a train station near rush hour, carrying an unwrapped SONOS box, a total stranger recognized the package and stopped me, bubbling with enthusiasm, to tell me how much I would enjoy the product.

This is a great story Buzz! Thanks for sharing. I love hearing this sort of story. I live in the city where Sonos was founded, and it's always amazing seeing how many stores are using Sonos for their music system. I can't help asking them how they like it and that always turned into a great discussion.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Mine works fine☺
The reviews, both professional and amateur, decidedly disagree.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Mine works great!  Everyone who uses it says it is the best and easiest system they have ever used.
Userlevel 3
Love mine and works great. 🙂 Perhaps if you're having issues you could elaborate further and the forum can help you resolve the problem. Graham
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes ... simple things like you can set the speaker so you don't have to use controller and 3.5mm input will autoconnect.
My suggestion: Get a teenager!! They I purchased Play5 and bridge yesterday. It took my 15 year old daughter less than 15 minutes to take it out of the box, download onto her IPod and my laptop, and connect with our Pandora account. And that's with miserably slow DSL internet in our rural area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great one PJ - the next Sonos promo - coupon in box to borrow a teenager for 15 minutes to setup.  Better make that 30 minutes so they have 15 more minutes to show how it works.
yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
I don't think so, he is right i liked the sonos and i have them all around the house but now i consider to trow them away it's becomming crap.

1. if you pickup a sonos controler he needs at least 10sec before he finds the network and can play music (was never the case)

2. HD audio becomes mainstream users ask for it sonos say s NOT PLANNED ???? why the hell not if streaming becomes the standard, and mobile phone providers are the main sponsors from streaming music services and prices pro mb are going down  then the want to sell more mb's if you can hear the differents or not.

3. if the prices from the harddisk drops and storage will become cheaper and cheaper more people have huge music collections Sonos says 65000 numbers is more than enough. why ??

4. everything becomes wireless the demant for ip adresses will increase in every home your windows sees all those products why can't we give then names instead of ip numer only (i'have about 20 sonos devices ) and let me give them a ip number so i can make a dedecated for them.

5. i can go on and on but i made my statement

No if i see the massive product campaing (in nederland) and if i see the way the developement in the products are all mainstream low end, lets be honest the speaker from sonos sounds like crap take a connect-amp with piezo speakers and it sounds 10 times better for less money 

i think the people who created the sonos with there passion for quallity sound have now there passion in money and i think that within 2 to 3 years the company goes to the stock exchange and management cash in or the sell the company to another major brand. one way or the other its the end of sonos 

and i hope that the get a lot of money but for the users of sonos it's a shame
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
As an fyi. Each sonos unit gets an IP address. You can find the ip address for each under help... About my sonos system. Then you can go into router and make them static addresses.
Read it, understood it.  My comment stands.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Like I said... is this a necessary step? Not at all. I do it because I want more control over my network. My Sonos equipment worked just fine before I went that far.
Since yours is the only thread calling it crap, I suggest the number of them being used as doorstops is infinitely small.  In addition, Sonos products are ranked among the best consumer electronics products on Amazon.com (earning 4.5 stars out of 5 from over 2000 reviews), and the Play:1 is the #1 best selling bookshelf speaker.  You don't get those rankings by selling "crap".   If they were really crap, word would get out and Sonos would fold like the many competitors before them (i.e. Squeeze, Linksys, etc.).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a neighbor who's high dollar installer added Airplay to his Crestron system and it wouldn't even play a song all the way through.  I helped him remove the airplay and add in Sonos.

He never has a problem.

And he never comes on this board because he "never has a problem"

Millions of buyers - I don't see millions of people with problems.
I personally never have to wait several seconds for any of my controllers to connect.  They are instantly usable.  There is obviously something wrong with your network, because latency between controller and Sonos devices is not a universal problem.
Userlevel 2
The biggest problem I ever had was try to use all this with the crapbag Comcast Arris modem/router combo. Once I bought a real router things have been flawless.