Question

Will Sonos work with google home?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
That's a shame, I know how you feel, I use both.
Sonos is way slicker, less power leads for GCA, always on and waiting for that button press on top.
With GCA i have to power the amp on, power GCA on, power tablet up (if the battery hasn't run out). Get iplayer playing radio, then press cast button and hope it works. It usually does.
Chromecast is being renamed google home next few days, with renamed apps.
For whatever it's worth -- I have 3 Play 5s and 3 play 1s and would likely buy more for the house throughout 2017 but instead I'm selling all of them on Craigslist and moving to Chromecast audio and a bunch of active bookshelf speakers. This is literally because Sonos are not being public and definitive about their commitment to Google Home. I shouldn't have to wait around guessing for this integration: either they are committed to it or they aren't, and if they aren't I don't want to be using a closed proprietary system anyway. If they are, I would expect this as a software update when Google Home starts shipping in Nov.

Yes, I know I can use Chromecast audio with my Play 5 but I'm just moving on past Sonos as this point and I know many of my friends are saying similar things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
That verge article is the only reference i'vs seen to google home & sonos, so either they know something no one does, and have let it out the bag, or they have taken a big flyer.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was debating canceling my order for more dots but decided they would work well for me and to stick with echo.
It all depends on real world performance. Google has struggled a bit lately with the Nest/Dropcam unit so it will be interesting to see how Google Home fares once it gets out of the lab and into the peoples homes.
One thing is for sure, Alexa they have announced and it will be here 1st quarter 2017, so google home is good year way at best, my guess......
You could always sell Alexa in a years time ;O)

Should be much sooner. First, according to the Verge Google says Sonos integration with Google Home is "supposedly coming soon", which suggests 1st quarter 2017. [http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/4/13097164/google-home-assistant-speaker-device-announced-vs-amazon-echo] Secondly, Google is more experienced with third party integration (historically open platforms) and I would expect them to integrate much quicker than Amazon has with Sonos.

The real question is the level of voice support - simple pause/play functionality on one end of the spectrum, and full Sonos control on the other. Whichever is more robust with the better user voice interface (UVI?) will be the more compelling choice. At the moment, the Google Assistant software is a much deeper, conversational algorithm and might offer more control. Alexa is mostly a one-trick-at-a-time girl at the moment.

FWIW, I have one Echo and four Echo Dots, so I'm not rooting for Google here, just projecting ahead a bit based on the Amazon/Google platforms and histories. As applied specifically to Sonos integration, Amazon may be first but I'd be surprised if Google isn't the better choice soon.
I know you are asking about direct support but a Chromecast Audio is only $30-35 and can be used as an input on Play 5 today (I use this already). Therefore, Google Home control is easy to add, assuming your setup includes a Play 5 . Plus, Sonos already supports casting directly from Android devices. It seems like Google Home might be able to exploit this capability as an avenue to provide support pretty soon, if not immediately.

I ordered Google Home because I believe their device will be much smarter than the Amazon version. I also use the Google applications already, so that is a big plus too.

Ahh, great idea. Thank you.
I already have two PC's going into Play 5's line in. Good idea to add a Chromecast Audio.
I know you are asking about direct support but a Chromecast Audio is only $30-35 and can be used as an input on Play 5 today (I use this already). Therefore, Google Home control is easy to add, assuming your setup includes a Play 5 . Plus, Sonos already supports casting directly from Android devices. It seems like Google Home might be able to exploit this capability as an avenue to provide support pretty soon, if not immediately.

I ordered Google Home because I believe their device will be much smarter than the Amazon version. I also use the Google applications already, so that is a big plus too.
Looks like I just may have to purchase both. ;)
Although I do hope for Google Home support soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
One thing is for sure, Alexa they have announced and it will be here 1st quarter 2017, so google home is good year way at best, my guess......
You could always sell Alexa in a years time ;O)
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi sdraizin, welcome to the Sonos community. We have nothing to announce at this time regarding Google Home. We'll be sure to keep everyone informed if this changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Unknown at this time. I certainly think we will see Echo support first. A lot of unknowns right now regarding Google Home.