Question

Will Sonos work with google home?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

It is about time sonos made an announcement about google home, then we could confidently tell people to wait till end of 2017 and that it will follow Echo integration, which iam sure it will, but we can only speculate about what is in the upcoming private beta.

You keep telling people you are sure it is coming, but you have zero facts or information to back up that opinion. I thought you were going to stop with these misleading posts? The fact is, at this time, there is no reason to believe Sonos will support Google Home, never mind a reason to be "sure it will".
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It is about time sonos made an announcement about google home, then we could confidently tell people to wait till end of 2017 and that it will follow Echo integration, which iam sure it will, but we can only speculate about what is in the upcoming private beta.
I've been posting here for years, and depending on the agenda of the poster, I've heard that Sonos is in bed with Apple or Google, Apple Music or Google Play Music, iOS or Android, etc., etc. The fact is, Sonos integrates with any company who wishes to integrate with them. Key word being "wishes".

And I too find the effort to sign up for a support forum just to say you are returning something to be either childish taunting, or returner's remorse. Either impetus is rather sad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you go on the Amazon echo board and complainthere for Google support too :D

Sorry I just find it amusing when people come on here to complain that a product doesn't fit their needs Sonos does know they don't fit the needs of every person.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
it is what it is. The gifts you got centered on amazon echo and you want Google. So be it but whyncome on here and complain. The echo and sound bar are going to be supported.
Was given a playbar and echo for Christmas, but I'm a google guy with home and pixel already. Searching web about sonos-google integration and ended up here. Looks like I will be returning the playbar and echo gifts for an audio setup more compatible with my needs. I initially thought about adding a sonos sub purchase to the gift too, so lack of integration just cost sonos 1200+ in sales related to me. I knew it was trouble as soon as I read sonos was the "Apple of audio."
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Ok, Thanks. I guess I will go with dots then. I have been waiting for the integration.

Kris 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Work well with home automation using Smartthings, hue bulbs and harmony hubs I can voice control most everything in house.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have 7 dots and they work great. They hear me very well. The microphones pickup great.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have one original echo. But since then have purchased nothing but Dots. Dots are great for having across whole home to make Alexa a whole home system like Sonos. Once Alexa gets full Sonos control the original echo with speaker won't be particularly needed at all.

Are you having any problems with your dot? How do you like it? I am interested in it for the integration with sonos but I have been reading mixed reviews. I have been reading the dot doesn't always hear you. Reviews coming from people who have both and one of the tech magazines (don't remember which site) and the consensus is the echo is better.

Kris:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have one original echo. But since then have purchased nothing but Dots. Dots are great for having across whole home to make Alexa a whole home system like Sonos. Once Alexa gets full Sonos control the original echo with speaker won't be particularly needed at all.
I would say the Dot is the most logical, it's more cost effective and the speaker on the Echo is rather redundant if used with Sonos.
Badge
If that is your tipping point, your decision is made.

Thank you jgatie for the feedback. I see your point.

Do Sonos users go for the Echo or the Dot? I assume the Dot since the Echo has a better speaker but is maybe rendered redundant The price makes the Dot a low-risk investment. Maybe this isn't appropriate conversation for a Google Home titled thread.

It would be superb if Sonos would allow you to use your Echo as a zone. Somehow I don't see that happening. But, I won't complain much.
If that is your tipping point, your decision is made. Sonos is definitely going to integrate with Echo in the coming year, it would not have announced a partnership if it were not. There is currently no indication whether they are (or are not) going to integrate with Google Home. So if you are looking for a voice control assistant that works with Sonos, your only choice at this time is Echo. As to announcements, even after large splashy press releases (Apple Music, Spotify Direct Control, Echo), Sonos tends to go silent during the internal/private testing phase. Then *poof*, a public beta is announced. With no inside knowledge, I imagine the quiet at this time is probably due to this.
Badge
You got me. I wasn't clear. I meant announcement that they were going to have the feature just as the holidays rolled in so the Echo or Google Home could be a hot item to gift. I'm just being picky. I'm using Sonos integration (non-beta) as the tipping point for trying out AmazonEcho/GoogleHome.

Well then I guess it's a good thing it was last August, rather than last October that Amazon and Sonos announced full Echo/Sonos integration is coming in 2017.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Why would you say Alexa cannot do things like that? It has access to both your schedule and traffic conditions. As to the "smartness" of Alexa, Alexa's "smarts" are in the cloud, not the device, so its "smartness" is not limited to the device, only to the ability of the cloud.

Have you ever played a song in Alexa? then in the middle of the song ask her how to pronounce the name of this artist, you will see her answer! she can not answer that!

Do you mean that Alexa is unable to pronounce it or gets the pronunciation wrong? Or doesn't even try as there are many ways to pronounce names?
Is your name Ant-toe-knee or Anth-o-knee?
Is part of my name Blam or Bal-ham or Bal-um
Well then I guess it's a good thing it was last August, rather than last October that Amazon and Sonos announced full Echo/Sonos integration is coming in 2017.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Badge
I've read through most of this and have been patiently waited for Echo/GoogleHome to support Sonos.

Today, I'm beginning to wonder what speaker quality the Echo/GoogleHome units have. I mean, I just read an article that talked about Google Home having multi-room music control. I didn't dig too deep. But, it got me to wondering.

Don't get me wrong. For me, my Sonos1 in stereo (bedroom), Sonos 3 (small family room), and Sonos 5 (larger living room) sound tremendous. However, I can't help but want something like Echo/GoogleHome to tie in and work seamlessly with what I have. Yes, the Sonos mobile app is great. Adding Spotify app control of Sonos is cool. I probably won't use it unless I accidently launch the Spotify app and I'm curious. The Sonos app is pretty darn good. However, I did just upgrade to Spotify Family and may have more Spotify users with self-curated playlists that may want to use the Spotify native app on Sonos. We'll see.

My point is, I don't want to trade my Sonos for a bunch of Echo/GoogleHome's in each room.

It's too bad Sonos/AmazonEcho/GoogleHome couldn't reach some announcement back in Oct/Nov. Before the holidays. I suppose Amazon doesn't mind too much since their Echo is sold out until early January. Ha.
Searching the jobs postings usually gives some general hints about direction. Search for API, several hits talking about the new gen of "direct control", accessible via lan or web. That's the term they used for the new Spotify wizardry, not "Spotify Connect", so I'll make the leap and conclude that they're building their own API that Spotify, Google, Apple, etc are all welcome to use. It will no doubt allow control of Sonos features not included in the Chromecast API.

Have you ever played a song in Alexa? then in the middle of the song ask her how to pronounce the name of this artist, you will see her answer! she can not answer that!

There is no hardware based deficiency which prevents Alexa from doing this. As I said, all the smarts are in the cloud, so the capability is there if one wants to enable it. So I'm not going to get in a X-Box/Playstation battle over what voice control method does what. They are usually based on emotional loyalty rather that any facts anyway.
Why would you say Alexa cannot do things like that? It has access to both your schedule and traffic conditions. As to the "smartness" of Alexa, Alexa's "smarts" are in the cloud, not the device, so its "smartness" is not limited to the device, only to the ability of the cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Google home is coming, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!........... I can feel it ;O)
My guess would be this time next year in UK, after Alexa, just a case of how long after.......
I have Google Home, Sonos Connect and Chromecast. Any way to connect these so that I can control my home speakers which are connected to Sonos Connect as aneeded audio source through voice commands to Google Home?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Not sure this will ever happen.
Sonos would just become another casting speaker like sony, LG, etc, loose their ecosystem status, loose sales of connect & connect amp.
Google may well release other speakers themselves later on as Home develops.
So far Alexa is only partnering with sonos and denon Heos, that I know of. This will drive sales for all partners, sonos users will buy Alexa, and Alexa users might want better speakers.

The integration is also the only thing that has made me reconsider my stance on NOT purchasing any more from Sonos. Without voice activation it's 100% certain that I will purchase no more. The sound quality is great for sure, however, the world has moved on from when I started collecting Sonos. Now that voice activation looks possible through Echo, I will buy dots - good for Amazon, and assuming I'm happy with how the voice activation works, continue to expand my Sonos system.
I was thinking about picking a SONO's speaker up for xmas, but will hold off until they get Google Home integration. They look like descent speakers, dang.