Sonos really that bad?

• 12 August 2021
  • 57 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Finally, a 5 pair + Sub, with the sound levels equalised as suggested, is more of an apples to apples comparison with the Sonus Faber set up, and may leave the differences heard to be very small indeed. Provided you do the test with eyes closed. 

Maybe, but his system sounds unbelivable. Granted, it is around 7 times more expensive than my beloved Sonos. My biggest reason for Sonos is I do like the casual wireless sound experience. 

Thank you

Neven

Yes Sonos is that bad! Not because of the sound quality but because, if you get a multi-room system, you’ll discover it never works and no one can offer a long-term fix. Just have a look at Sonos’ reviews on Trust Pilot…

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Going against expectations, I’d say Sonos produce an acceptable sound, you say that you thought the sound produced when watching films was good, surely you trust your own judgement? You can always buy better speakers but if you are happy with what you have why bother?

Yes, i would say it sounds pretty good. Considering the fact it is “only” DD 5.1, sometimes converted from DTS i am pleased.

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

my ears aren’t as good as they were 30+ years ago! Go with what pleases you. 

I am slightly over 40 now. I hope to own a few Sonos speakers by the time I reach 50 :-) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Personally I buy gear that pleases me and I couldn’t give a damn what others think of it. 

Some ‘audiophiles’ go out of their way to convince themselves that the massive amounts they’ve spent on their gear is far better than other systems. The people aren’t worth knowing in my opinion.

I used to have a ‘proper’ 5.1 system and ‘proper’ hi-fi system but I got rid of them and only have Sonos gear now because it’s so much more convenient to use and sounds good enough for me. A lot of the music I like to listen to sounded awful on ‘proper’ hi-fi and I’m not prepared to change what I listen to just to make my system sound better!

If you’re happy with your system then that is all that matters. 

Edit - one more thing. A lot of these audiophiles seem to descend into listening to the performance of their gear rather than listening to and enjoying the music.

You could be right. But us Sonos fans also fall in to the same trap. I myself plan to swap Playbar for Arc and expect better sound… 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thank you for helping sorting my thoughts out. It seems to me I only need one more Sonos unit. This forum warned me long ago, the GAS will happen. 

Neven

If you’re happy with the sound from your Sonos kit, surely that’s all that matters.

I’ve always found, though, that - all other issues like volume matching and blind testing aside - it’s usually easier to hear differences if you go from a ‘good’ system to a ‘less good’ system. Going up the quality scale often doesn’t sound very different - better, but not hugely different. Once you’re used to the better quality kit, though, going back to a lower quality system is immediately apparent. This may well be why he’s having such  a swift and decisive reaction.