Sonos really that bad?

• 12 August 2021
  • 57 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Finally, a 5 pair + Sub, with the sound levels equalised as suggested, is more of an apples to apples comparison with the Sonus Faber set up, and may leave the differences heard to be very small indeed. Provided you do the test with eyes closed. 

Maybe, but his system sounds unbelivable. Granted, it is around 7 times more expensive than my beloved Sonos. My biggest reason for Sonos is I do like the casual wireless sound experience. 

Thank you

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Frankly, if he thinks less of you because your not an ‘audiophile’, then id suggest he isn’t much of a friend. 

No, he does not think that way at all. He gave me a friendly advice.

Neven

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Personally I buy gear that pleases me and I couldn’t give a damn what others think of it. 

Some ‘audiophiles’ go out of their way to convince themselves that the massive amounts they’ve spent on their gear is far better than other systems. The people aren’t worth knowing in my opinion.

I used to have a ‘proper’ 5.1 system and ‘proper’ hi-fi system but I got rid of them and only have Sonos gear now because it’s so much more convenient to use and sounds good enough for me. A lot of the music I like to listen to sounded awful on ‘proper’ hi-fi and I’m not prepared to change what I listen to just to make my system sound better!

If you’re happy with your system then that is all that matters. 

Edit - one more thing. A lot of these audiophiles seem to descend into listening to the performance of their gear rather than listening to and enjoying the music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I also echo the comments above. My Sonos setup isn’t as good as my Linn system was; nor is it anywhere near as expensive. For my, the multi-room feature is a big plus, and I’m quite content with the sound quality - my ears aren’t as good as they were 30+ years ago! Go with what pleases you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Going against expectations, I’d say Sonos produce an acceptable sound, you say that you thought the sound produced when watching films was good, surely you trust your own judgement? You can always buy better speakers but if you are happy with what you have why bother?

First, trust your ears. Second, do any comparative tests of how things compare ONLY once the sound levels from both sets of equipment are as close to the same - strictly speaking, this needs instruments to determine this, but this isn't essential to prove the point.

Which is that while the more expensive equipment will probably sound better - how much better will be a lot less when sound levels are equalised, and that is the correct way to assess how much better.

Finally, a 5 pair + Sub, with the sound levels equalised as suggested, is more of an apples to apples comparison with the Sonus Faber set up, and may leave the differences heard to be very small indeed. Provided you do the test with eyes closed. 

I know Sonus Faber speakers by the way. A lot of wood and leather is used in the construction of the cabinets, handmade in Italy. That drives up the costs without any sound quality benefit other than psychological. They certainly look very classy, but the benefit of that to sound quality disappears in a blind test.

No, I don’t think so. But audio is in the ears of the beholder. If it’s fine for you, as it is for me, then I wouldn’t worry about if. 

If instead you want to measure the quality of the sound by the money invested, as it appears many audiophiles do, then by all means, it’s a valid choice. I’d encourage you to trade in your car as well, in order to purchase a better car, and you’ll probably want to move homes to be in a better ‘environment’ for listening. 

Yes, I’m being overly dramatic. But if you’re happy with your Sonos, why does it matter if your friend thinks less of you because you didn’t spend a small fortune on your audio equipment? Frankly, if he thinks less of you because your not an ‘audiophile’, then id suggest he isn’t much of a friend. 

Be happy with yourself.