Question

Playbar and two Play.1 surround sound not working while watching tv

• 2 December 2014
  • 82 replies

Playbar and two Play.1 surround sound not working while watching tv

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To me that means the playbar isn't sending any surround info to the Play:1's for what you are watching. 
So your TV isnt passing 5.1. What model is it?
To me that means the playbar isn't sending any surround info to the Play:1's for what you are watching. 
It's a Samsung un60h6350
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Same problem here. Bought 2 Play 1's and a Bridge today. I already had the Play Bar.
All has been connected following the instructions. Sound of TV (Bar) goes up and down when I press the volume buttons on both Play 1's. There is just no sound coming out of them.
Diagnostic number: 4410355

Do you get the white noise when playing anything, including music? Or only when playing TV audio? 
Any ideas?
Same problem here. Bought 2 Play 1's and a Bridge today. I already had the Play Bar.
All has been connected following the instructions. Sound of TV (Bar) goes up and down when I press the volume buttons on both Play 1's. There is just no sound coming out of them.

TV is a very recent Sony.
It didn't seem to help when I plugged into CB, but I did get 5.1 when I plugged into apple TV. So any thoughts on how to get the CB, the Apple TV and the BR into the playbar?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Can you check in the "About my Sonos" option in the Settings menu and see what audio format your TV is passing through? There is a chance that your TV is not passing through 5.1 sound.

It's a KDL-50W815B and is supposed to be passing 5.1 automatically.
I discovered the 2 Play 1's are working when using the DVD player. Just not when it's TV only. I'm using a Sky box.

Thanks Dave ! That's what it was. As simple as that.
I've changed the Digital Audio Output - HDMI to "DOLBY D" and I've got now sound coming out of the Play 1's.
Thanks again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

That's great news Erik, enjoy 🙂
Seems like I am having a similar issue as others. Music- sound bar and 2 x Play1 and sub sounds great. Tv seems like sound bat only. Diagnostic number 4450202. Thanks Chuck
Hi Lesli, I'm having the same problem: TV is Samsung, Playbar, 2 x Play:1. I submitted a support Diagnostics # 4575590
I have same issue: when playing music, Play:1 is working fine. It's only when using Play:1 with TV. I already submitted to you diagnostic 4575590
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi there. It looks like you were playing music when you submitted the diagnostic. Can you do me a favor, and send us another diagnostic number taken while you are playing sound from the television? It will help us see what is going on with your surround settings. Thanks.
hi lesli my name is John i have the same problem got a playbar and two
play ones and have no stereo as i got a new tv i was told i dont need the bridge as sonos has updated the playbar ?? i had stereo but no more i handed the bridge back got a refund but not a happy chappie as the system is no good as i got this for the great stereo that the system is known for please get back to a frustrated customer
cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
John - are you saying you had it working and then returned bridge and don't know how to get it working now?
Badge
This is happening to me too diagnostic number 52 3745 7
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
This is happening to me too diagnostic number 52 3745 7
Hi, is your system still experiencing the same problem? Depending on the source of the audio it's possible the rear surround speakers will not play or will play time to time.
If you are watching TV and the audio source is in stereo the Sonos will do it's best to up mix the audio so all the speakers are used.
But after reviewing the diagnostic, I see you have wireless extenders. Wireless extenders may give issues as the Sonos system may be trying to connect to them.

Due to the issue, the best would be to contact our customer care team by phone. A Sonos agent will be able to offer you live troubleshooting and remotely connect to your system.
You can find our contact information here: www.sonos.com/contact
Badge
Hi, no I've sorted it. It was a sound setting on my sky box. Thanks
Hi, I have a playbar and one Play:1. I want them to play together all the time. The playbar works great! When I first started with the play:1 I had music from both, now I can't get the music thru the play:1. How can I get tv and/or music to play at the same time? Thanks.
Group the Play:1 with the Playbar by bringing up the Rooms screen and hitting the Group button on the Playbar entry. Check the Play:1 and hit Done.
Group the Play:1 with the Playbar by bringing up the Rooms screen and hitting the Group button on the Playbar entry. Check the Play:1 and hit Done.

I can't get there on my controller. IPone 5. I can't get back to groups at all, which I think is the problem.

I can't get there on my controller. IPone 5. I can't get back to groups at all, which I think is the problem.

To get to the Rooms screen, tap the Room name at the top of the Now Playing screen.

To get to the Rooms screen, tap the Room name at the top of the Now Playing screen.

That turned off the play bar with the tv on. Then, if I go to music both play. Can I delete a room and just put both speakers in one group so that I can hear the tv thru both speakers?
BTW - Thank you for helping.