Question

Playbar and two Play.1 surround sound not working while watching tv

• 2 December 2014
  • 82 replies

Playbar and two Play.1 surround sound not working while watching tv

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello Sadgoth, thanks for posting to the Sonos Community. It appears the diagnostic is reporting some minor wireless interference that could be causing issues with bonding the PLAY:1's as surrounds. To troubleshoot wireless interference follow the steps here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3650

Once the PLAY:1's are connected and set up as surround speakers make sure the PLAYBAR is receiving a surround sound audio signal. Not all TV channels are broadcast in surround sound and may not provide audio to the surround speakers. More details in our FAQ here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3833

Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Any help from the Sonos team? see above for issue and Diagnostic test number...
Userlevel 2
I have a similar problem, I have Playbar, Sub and now two 1s...
I have been trying to add the two 1s so I have surround sound

I have tried multiple times to set the Surround sound up, and get various issues with one of the 1s
Issues all seem to relate to one of my 1s, it either
- Refuses to connect to the surround sound (have tried swapping them around, chaning channel, resetting wifi, resetting the sonos 1s etc)
- Connects initially but then wont pair with the first 1 prior to final set up
- Does connect, but then wont play any tv sound (it is fine playing music, grouping etc)

I have noted that the button on top of the problematic 1 has a dull white light, whilst the fully functioning 1 has a much brighter white light

TV is a Samsung, connected via PCM, Playbar, Sub are all great and work fine, TV is hardwire connected to an Amazon Fire

Hoping you can provide a solution, my Diagnostic test number is 7780223, thank you guys, been a customer for 5 years, brilliant products (if a little frustrating at times)
yea the program i was watching was no surround the surround is working after i watched Movie and the rear speakers are fckin awesome now thnx for your reply my neighbours cant sleep now 😃
Badge
I got playbar- sub - and 2x play 5- when playing music rear speakers are soft. And when watching TV rear speakers dont work... i dont understand helpppppp

Hey Halit, welcome to the Community. For soft music out of the rear speakers, I would recommend changing the surround settings from "Ambient" to "Full Stereo". Here's how:

Quiet sound or no audio from surround speakers

This article also explains the most common reasons you won't hear audio from the surrounds while watching TV. Do you know if your TV is sending out Dolby Digital audio, and are you watching something that would have surround sound in it?
I got playbar- sub - and 2x play 5- when playing music rear speakers are soft. And when watching TV rear speakers dont work... i dont understand helpppppp
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here.

Had a playbase for a week. Played music earlier in day through subs, not tv. Now sibs are no longer having any sound as surrounds. Joke . They were working fine unutl today for a week. It is D5.1. Pathetic

Hi rubberduck,

It sounds to me like there may be some wireless interference causing communication issues between your PLAYBASE and SUB. To be sure I'd like to see a diagnostic report from your system. Please send in a report then reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Also tried disconnecting and reconnecting surrounds. Not working. Pathetic
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Same issue here.

Had a playbase for a week. Played music earlier in day through subs, not tv. Now sibs are no longer having any sound as surrounds. Joke . They were working fine unutl today for a week. It is D5.1. Pathetic
Sorry to hear that. Have you checked the two standard things?

1) Make sure that the TV is set to pass through Dolby Digital

2) Make sure that the source is also sending a Dolby Digital signal?
I´ve got Playbar with 2 Play1 as surround and today I get no sound from my Play1 speakers
May I suggest you go with Dolby Digital, which will give you true 5.1? If I recall correctly, PCM is a stereo signal, which the Playbar is decoding into a "fake" (although pretty good) 5.1 signal. Just be sure you're doing only Dolby Digital, and not any extra like Dolby Digital Plus, which the Playbar can't deal with.

And yes, I share your frustration with TVs that reset their sound settings when they're off for a period of time. This is one of those suggestions that I post frequently as a potential solution, due to what you're saying. And no, I've no idea how it happens, but it seems to occur fairly frequently. I've had the same issue recently, when I moved, and lost the settings on my TV. I was pretty frustrated for 10 or 15 minutes, until I pulled up the TV's audio menu, and then started cursing (someone....maybe myself?) as it had changed.

Good post!
To all the people on this forum who've experienced the mysterious phenomenon of the LS and RS surrounds suddenly stop working, check your TV settings! I combed through these forums and was convinced there was something wrong with the Playbar pairing, so I reset the entire system multiple times, I verified that the red light was coming out of the optical cable, I confirmed in the Sonos app that the Playbar showed it was receiving a Dolby input signal while I was watching TV, all to no avail.

I was about ready to call it quits when I read a post on AV Forums that mentioned that newer TV's are capable of outputting different types of audio. Sure enough, I checked my Samsung F8000 smart tv while I had a tv show playing and tried accessing the MENU > AUDIO > ADDITIONAL SETTINGS > AUDIO FORMAT section and changing it between DTS and Dolby Digital to PCM.... and PCM worked! The rear Play 1 speakers were finally working again.

I'm not sure how the audio format changed itself on my TV, maybe I reset it after unplugging it, but hopefully this will be useful for other people to try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So I have had the Sonos for a year and get nothing but sporadic blips out of the surrounds when regular tv is on. I have 4 play, a soundbar, bass unit and connect. Yah.....LOTS of investment for what amounts to high tech and completely useless gear.

It is really annoying. The surrounds disconnected completely at this point and now I cannot connect them. Well....let me rephrase that....I can connect them easily. It says so on my phone. They do not test nor doesa any sound come out of them.

I see a LOT of people having the same issue and a LOT of Sonos 'experts' asking for diagnostics but no solution. Everyone....keep sending in those diagnostics, that way you actually feel like you are doing something constructive to fix a problem that can't be fixed.

After shelling out thousands of dollars for crap Sonos that will not work I know what the answer is...get rid of them and buy something that actually works.

Sonos has been nothing but a disappointing and costly experience. Completely useless. Throwing them in the canal if I can't find someone who absolutely loves these pieces of crap.

My Playbar, Sub and 2 x Play 1s as surrounds are awesome. Been watching the Olypics with them and sometimes is like I'm in the arena with the athletes.

But guess what? If I only feed them Stereo I get virtually nothing from the surrounds - I expect that is what you are doing - Either your TV isn't passing the DD 5.1 signal or your source isn't supplying DD 5.1.

Here's a good idea for your future tech purchases:-

- As soon as you find out they don't do what you thought they did bury your head in the sand, wait until the warranty period is up and then start whining like a baby. It worked with this problem didn't it?
So I have had the Sonos for a year and get nothing but sporadic blips out of the surrounds when regular tv is on. I have 4 play, a soundbar, bass unit and connect. Yah.....LOTS of investment for what amounts to high tech and completely useless gear.

It is really annoying. The surrounds disconnected completely at this point and now I cannot connect them. Well....let me rephrase that....I can connect them easily. It says so on my phone. They do not test nor doesa any sound come out of them.

I see a LOT of people having the same issue and a LOT of Sonos 'experts' asking for diagnostics but no solution. Everyone....keep sending in those diagnostics, that way you actually feel like you are doing something constructive to fix a problem that can't be fixed.

After shelling out thousands of dollars for crap Sonos that will not work I know what the answer is...get rid of them and buy something that actually works.

Sonos has been nothing but a disappointing and costly experience. Completely useless. Throwing them in the canal if I can't find someone who absolutely loves these pieces of crap.
Badge
No difference, adjusting that volume increases the volume on my playbar only
Badge
No difference
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
6448191, thanks Max
The diagnostics looks fine, try adjusting the volume of the surround speakers. Since we are receiving 5.1 DD on the PLAYBAR, the surrounds will only produce effect sounds when receiving such a signal.
Badge
6448191, thanks Max
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Having the same problem and submitted a diagnostic. can anyone explain the issue and what was done to fix it?
Hi, we'd be happy to have a look. Can you reply with the diagnostic number?
Badge
Having the same problem and submitted a diagnostic. can anyone explain the issue and what was done to fix it?
Ive got my Soundbar hooked up to my boost with the cable going into the tv. Play 1's as surround with a sub. Get great sound out of playbar and sub only. Played with audio, tried changing channels and turning off autoplay tv....still notta.
Same here 6304738 is mine. Two play 1s no sound on movies or tv.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

What are the issues you're experiencing?