Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Question: Is the Sonos 1 just the same interior to the Sonos 1 Play albeit with Alexa capabilities.

No, the hardware inside is completely different. The only shared components are the base and the power cord connector.

Do we expect any kind of discount bearing in mind its Christmas and lots of agitated Sonos Play owners who cannot now upgrade their systems to Alexa without buying the Play? What about 25% off if you buy 2? that would be reasonable and provide some slight reprieve for us consumers.

The Play:1 is already discounted for the holidays. The Sonos One is the Alexa enabled Sonos speaker, and it is not necessary to buy the Sonos One to "upgrade their systems to Alexa". You can buy any lelxa device, like the $29.99 Echo Dot, and your entire Sonos system can be controlled by that device.
Sonos has officially stated they are different hardware except where I noted, and I've personally seen through the grills of both and it is quite obvious the drivers are different. There are also several articles stating there is a sonic difference. Not a huge difference, but different.
I think you guys are being unreasonable. What other piece of technology can you use from 2004 with full functionality in 2017? Sonos have never allowed the pairing of different models. The Sonos One is a different model, even if it looks the same. I would love it if they would allow it, but why not allow the Play 5 and Play 3 to also create stereo pairs with the Sonos One in that case? I think we are targeting a company that has demonstrated a remarkable and unique desire to extend the life of 10+ year old products. Apple makes similarly sized form factor iPhones and they don't even allow the next gen software (iOS 11) to run on a 5 year old device. And yet no one insists that the iPhone needs to change to a be a less similar form factor.

I've spent over $6000 in Sonos equipment, and I have several Play 1s, Play 3s, and even a Play 5. I would personally love if they'd allow a Sonos One to pair, but the tone of some of these 'requests'; "Attention: Sonos. You just lost a potential sale because something I WANT, (hat has never been promised to me) I DID NOT GET. And if don't get exactly what I WANT, I'm going to boycott your product." Who talks like that? Has anyone is the history of their job ever been talked to like that and thought "Gee, I really want to go above and beyond my job responsibilities to help that person get their demand met?"

Here's a thought. Go buy those other products then. If those companies have demonstrated a dedication to updating 13 year old hardware with new functionality, works as reliably as Sonos, and satisfies your demands in a superior way, support those companies. But don't come here into a forum, spend the time to sign-up and post, and whine about something you feel entitled to, from a company that's doing it better (not perfect, but better) that every single tech company out there. The ZP100 came out 3 years before the first iPhone, 4 years before the first Zune was even developed, and 4 years before Spotify. I'm going to go listen to ARIZONA on my ZP100 linked to my Sonos SUB (a device that didn't even exist) via Spotify Connect now. I can't even use an old iPhone 3Gs, made 6 years later after my ZP100 to even open Spotify. Yeah, Sonos is the problem.

And to Sonos, I just purchased (5) Sonos Ones, a PlayBase and a PlayBar w bracket for my dad. Great addition to add voice control.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Yes some of the tone used is unreasonable, but I do think Sonos missed a not unreasonable expectation from users. It makes sense to think that to voice enable a room, you only really need one voice enabled speaker, and that if you accept that logic, it also makes sense to think you could add a One to an existing setup for better integration, if you have a Play:1 already in a room, that plus a One could mean a stereo upgrade.

It's been pointed out that the hardware is not the same, and that there may be small sonic differences, but I think Sonos wouldn't do themselves much harm if they enable pairing of One's and 1's, or adding a One into existing surround setups, if that already includes a Play:1. (No point adding a One to a system made up of 3's or 5's)

Then they need to perhaps re-assess any plans they have for voice enabled versions of their other speakers to make sure you can pair voice and non-voice enabled versions. I don't think it makes sense for surround setups especially to have to replace all speakers for voice, or to buy 5 new speakers with voice capability when you probably only need one.

I think the voice tech is still quite new and it's not clear if there are any benefits to lots of voice enabled devices in the same room improving speech recognition and therefore it doesn't make much sense to most to buy more than is needed. For example, if you were using Echo Dots you wouldn't buy one per speaker, you'd buy one per room.

If Sonos took that on board, then I think they'd satisfy most people. Of course there will still be some who will complain that the One and Play:1 look/sound different, but you can't please absolutely everyone..
There were as many people who ranted endlessly about not being able to pair a 1st and 2nd gen Play:5 and they looked nothing alike. My faith in the reasonable and rational analysis of those who complain about such things is not really strong.
Badge
Definitely eager for Sonos to bring this functionality - it would be an elegant solution to adding voice control to my living room without adding a redundant speaker or dot. Can't really justify buying 2 Sonos ones to replace the pair and only need a spare play 1 for the spare bedroom.
I am also disappointed. I had never attempted to pair a Play 1 with a 3 or 5 as that would not make much sense. My house is organized such that the kitchen and living room are separated by a stairwell with a short walkway spanning its width that connects the kitchen to the living room. I have a 5.1 system in the living room with two Play 1's as the surrounds. My intent with buying the new Sonos One was to replace the Play 1 that was mounted to the wall at that little walkway, thereby allowing voice control using Alexa via that one speaker from both rooms. I had never thought there would be an issue of swapping out that Play 1 with the new Sonos One as I'd never read about any issues or suspected it would be a problem. I bought a new Flexson mount for the Sonos One from Crutchfield and swapped out all the hardware. Went to set up the surrounds and stumbled upon this odd lack of functionality.

As mentioned, I understand that it would be odd to pair different sized models (i.e. a 1 with a 3 or 5), but these two are sooooooo similar to each other that if someone pointed out that they aren't aesthetic equals then you should probably kick them out of your house right then and there. The acoustics are going to be so similar that your average person is not going to pick up on the difference, and I am certainly not as discerning as the conductor of the Boston Pops.

I just don't understand why in the Sonos even gives a hoot. They aren't like Steve Jobs -- designing everything purposely to limit integration with other products as they have gone out of their way to allow you to link old speakers, sync with Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, etc. To me this is an unnecessary sticking point.

Better yet, it's a place they might lose money. People might upgrade a speaker for added functionality, but they might draw the line at two. I'm considering taking mine back because it's caused me to now waste an extra $50 for the mount plus the added expense over a Play 1.

Needs a patch soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Second play:1 and an echo dot purchase still less money then a Sonos One.
Very disappointed that you can't pair One and Player:1. Bought the One to be able to control music with our baby in the living room without staring at our phones. Now, we have to group speakers manually anyway because we can't pair our bar, sub, One and Player:1 as a room downstairs. Would have to take our Player:1 from our master bedroom upstairs, downstairs and move the One upstairs and buy an Amazon Dot or Echo to still have voice control downstairs. Totally defeats the reason I bought the One in the first place. With such good engineering you'd think they could find a work around and make them pairable. Please fix this Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do agree having both with Alexa is redundant but Alexa picks up one believes can hear you best.

Really they don’t match the play:1 looks wise as the grills are not grey The Sonos One though does look identical to the limited edition Play:1 Tone from about a year or so ago (of which I have the black version which would look nice with a Sonos One)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It works great... I've used it to create a Sonos One/Play:1 stereo pair in my bedroom. The small price of the SonoSequencr app is worth it to get around this unfortunate limitation Sonos seems to not want to remove.
Badge +1
Such a shame that i cant pair a play 1 with a Sonos 1. Sonos just missed out on £400 from me for this reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I’ve just got the Sonosequencr app but can’t see how you can pair a One with a Play:One; the Sterio Pair section says that it will only pair speakers that are designed to be paired

Choose the ‘create stereo pair’ command and, despite the explanation, you can choose any 2 unmatched speakers you like !
Why do you have to force pair anything, it's insane to think you spend £180 on a speaker that cant connect with other devices related to the same brand that are pretty much identical technology...someone simply releases an app to force it, it should be right out of the box
Please also add me to the list of dissapointed users because of this reason. Thanks.
This is really poor. I brought my BF a One for Xmas, as we are moving in together and I already have a 1 and a Playbar. We were so disappointed to discover we can not pair the units for surround sound. If it’s a sales strategy then you’ve lost my vote. I love my Sonos gear and I can’t believe that this simple function has not been enabled. This really needs attention quickly.

Yep, agree totally. I have so much faith in the SONOS brand so this is really disappointing
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Why do people keep complaining when it can be done - just use the Sonosequencer app. It's not that big a deal.

Because I personally don't feel I should need to buy an app (/apply a hack) - however cheap - to get functionality this basic. Great that it exists, but it's also entirely possible that Sonos will find a way to kill this down the line, meaning you've bought an app that's useless and you're no better off. To put it another way, I'd prefer official support.

Also, without having researched in depth, is there any other drawback to using the app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No one has mentioned that pairing via the Sonosequencer app behaves any different then if Sonos app did it. Sonosequencer has a lot of cool things you can do.

Sonos may allow the pairing in the future - but I wouldn't wait being its a legitimate work around.

People are going out and spending £180 on a speaker that can't sync with its own speakers out of the box. Thats what SONOS is all about or was all about at least Its ridiculous. It's like shipping an Apple Mac without a mouse and keyboard

Once again . . . THE SONOS ONE ABSOLUTELY, 100%, WITHOUT QUESTION, IS ABLE TO SYNC WITH ALL OTHER SONOS SPEAKERS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!!!

The thing people are complaining about is that it cannot be used as a stereo pair with the Play:1, a similar looking, but internally different model from the Sonos One. This is no different than any other Sonos speaker; there are no other models that can be stereo paired with anything but the same model.

You have misrepresented this issue before, and have been corrected. If you need it explained in more detail, feel free to ask. However, please refrain from stating it is impossible to sync the Sonos One with other Sonos speakers, for it is simply untrue.
Is their an Android equivalent of Sonosequencer, so that l can test pairing between a One and a 1?
At this time, you still cannot pair the two and it looks to be that way in the future. The SonoSequencer app will pair the two, and is available for iOS. This is not an officially supported app, but it does work.
SonoSequencer can create a stereo pair, but it cannot create a 5.1 setup (PlayBar+Play:1+One or PlayBase+Play:1+One). So, it has no use for me. this feature was promised a month or two ago, but never released.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos never promised any such thing.

Sonos said they are sonically different but they would check to see if engineers thought it would be good idea. That is all they said. I expect their engineers had reasons for not thinking it was a good idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t know that there has been an new sequence release. I had another item he said he is going to try and get out in future app. I think he is a one man show - may take a while.
Userlevel 1
I'd also like this feature.