Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Badge +2
Is the work around really a work around? I mean I pair left and right sonos speakers not because I want the same sound but because I want to listen to right and left channel that is in so much music. Does the app everyone talks about do that? Thanks everyone Has anyone investigated CES announcements this year. https://www.wisaassociation.org/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is the work around really a work around? I mean I pair left and right sonos speakers not because I want the same sound but because I want to listen to right and left channel that is in so much music. Does the app everyone talks about do that?
Yes, it sets up left & right stereo-paired speakers that appear as one 'room' in the Sonos apps. Features like AirPlay 2 work perfectly with a single Sonos One as part of the pair.

Thanks everyone. Has anyone investigated CES announcements this year. https://www.wisaassociation.org/

We'll have to see how much traction this new standard gets. Right now it's mostly aspirational in terms of products actually delivered, and it's hardly without competition from existing solutions.
Badge +2
This gotta have better seperation http://www.enclaveaudio.com/wireless-home-theater.html
Badge
I don't see why anyone would want to 'pair' a Play:1 with the Sonos One. maybe because we already own a bunch of Play:1 speakers and don't think it should be necessary to buy a One to pair with another One? That said, I understand how it could be a circuitry/hardware/firmware issue but still prefer backward compatibility
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
No chance of this working to add a Sonos One (along with a Play:1) into a 5.1 setup?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You manage that Marcus and I can see a lot more £1.99’s hitting your bank account ?
No chance of this working to add a Sonos One (along with a Play:1) into a 5.1 setup?

Not yet but i just made a quick test and i was able to configure a Sonos One and a Play:1 as surround speakers to my Playbar. I just think about how to make this available in my app...

Please figure out a way. I'd buy the app in a heartbeat if it could do that
I will also wait for stereo pairing with Play1 before buying
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not yet but i just made a quick test and i was able to configure a Sonos One and a Play:1 as surround speakers to my Playbar. I just think about how to make this available in my app...

Hi Markus - any further progress on this yet ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I would like an honest answer from Sonos about this whole deal soon. The CEO (who is awesome and responsive) has said to "stay tuned" regarding pairing a Sonos One with a Play:1. I'm tuned. But I did buy three Ones, in addition to all the Play:1s I own...not to mention a playbar, sub, and play 5s. And so I have one of the Ones languishing for the possibility of being mated as a stereo pair to a Play:1.

I see a Sonos rep by the name of Keith saying these two products are "very different". Sure, I get that. But they are also sonically very similar.

What I want is, in the time frame of which I can actually return the 3rd Play One, can you let me know definitively if they are going to be pairable? If not, I need to return that 3rd Play One. Its totally ok by me if its not going to happen. I mean, I'm not happy about it because I would rather not return the product. I love the speakers. But I need to know if I should "stay tuned" or should I return and "tune out".

Thanks! And I would like the answer from Sonos, not from some fan. I'm a fan myself, just not of this particular situation.

Is it a stereo pair you’re wanting to make, or bond it with a surround sound setup? I only ask as if you’re looking to make a stereo pair with another Play 1, it’s possible to do this with the app mentioned earlier in the post.

I’m just waiting to see if the app can be made to make it possible to bond it with a 5.1 setup with a Play 1.
Hi ChrisC29...yeah I was just looking for a stereo pair, not as part of surround sound. I did pay the $2.99 for the iOS app SonoSeqencr and it did work to make the One and the Play:1 a stereo pair.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Oh well, good to see you got sorted out. Not ideal to have to use 3rd party apps for something Sonos should really support but at least it’s working for you. Hopefully something can be sorted to allow it to be bonded to a surround setup.
I don’t know if this is the same topic or different one, but here goes. I have a stereo pair of play:1s. I want to add a third, because the room that they are in is very elongated. I want the third play:1 to play only the left channel. can I do that?
This is so shocking, and beyond disappointing. Returning the new Sonos one, what a joke.
But I think the main question of whether granting the ability to pair them or not comes down to two things:
1. is the sound quality that much different
2. Does sonos want to make us buy new units

I sure hope it’s 1), since that would make some sense. I would’t want to pair the two for stereo if the SQ is messed with.
I understand Sonos would want to be improving things to remain competitive so I get why the internals of the two may differ, however, IMO it’s a bit of a shame since who needs two Alexas in the same room just to have stereo?
I guess I need to do a bunch more experimenting to decide if I want to stick with Sonos. Wouldn’t want to buy a pair of Ones only to find later I want out. S6
I have purchased both in the last week. I now realise they cannot be played in stereo as they are not alike. Although they are alike. Size and look suggested that the Sonos One basically is a Play 1 with Alexa on top. Why would you want 2 Alexa devices in the same room to access stereo. It makes no sense? It also makes my purchase totally redundant.