Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Badge
I don't see why anyone would want to 'pair' a Play:1 with the Sonos One. They look totally different. This for me would be a no (perhaps many others as well). If wanting to add the new feature, just get an Amazon Dot. That would be a lot less expensive.
Userlevel 2
How is it the same as play:5 2nd gen exactly? Your entire point is based on them upgrading the speaker... Really dont think the speaker has been upgraded at all, otherwise that would have been marketed as well. As far as I can see its a play:1 with added Alexa support.
Userlevel 2
Why do you keep using the word conspiracy? Never did I say it was a secret plan by Sonos to do something unlawful or harmful.

Just ripping off customers. Not cool.

If it has a significant increase in SQ (like the play:5) then I'll stand corrected, otherwise I stand by my point.

Ps I realise the above sounds a bit abrupt, please dont take it that way, not intentional. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a seperate option in sonosequencr
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Alternately, you could purchase another PLAY:1 to make the stereo pair, and pick up a Amazon Echo Dot for $45 to control them. No need to replace all equipment at all.

But the voice control via an Echo device isn't quite as good as it is with a Play One is it, as you have to add the room name after every command, for example, "Alexa, play Radiohead in the kitchen", also, it gets confusing when pausing and resuming music, as any playlist on your Echo device will rather than your Sonos speaker.

So in my case, I can start a TuneIn station playing using the Sonos app, and I can then say "Alexa, stop" and the radio will stop, but if I then say "Alexa, play" it will resume music via the Echo Dot.

This is confusing, and creates fragmentation in the user experience, I appreciate it's still early days and the integration is complex, but even if there could be a default output device set on the Echo that would be a big help.

I'd like to be able to set my Sonos speakers in my Kitchen as my default output, so all audio output is via the Sonos speakers, no matter how I phrase my commands to Alexa.
Badge
Count me as another vote for pairing compatibility between the One and the Play1. I'm new to Sonos and just now planning expansion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I purchased a new Sonos one speaker just about 30 minutes ago on Amazon. Then I saw a comment on a Youtube review that this doesn't work with the existing Sonos one. That led me to do a Google search. A Google search for "using sonos one with play one" brought me to this thread. Long story short: I've cancelled the order.

A couple things:
- "Sonos One" and "Sonos Play 1" - the naming is confusing. Call it something entirely different. It's a different product and isn't backwards compatible, at least not yet. It's misleading because it makes it sound like I'm getting a better version of the existing product when in fact they're $200 non-compatible speakers.

- When you send this product to reviewers, have them explicitly call out it's not backwards compatible with existing Sonos one speaker. Also, call that out in your marketing videos on Youtube. MAKE IT OBVIOUS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. DO NOT MISLEAD THEM. Staying quiet about it is just as bad as if you lied to me and said it's backwards compatible. This isn't rocket science, folks.

The fact that you guys withhold that information means as a customer, you have lost my trust. I have one Sonos speaker that I was gifted recently. I liked it alot and was considering purchasing a play 5, one additional sonos one, and a sub. This was going to be over a $1K investment in your products. Because you're not transparent, now I don't trust you guys.

Customer lost. Have a great day.

It is compatible, as are all Sonos devices since the start of time. It just can’t be stereo paired with a PLAY:1, because they are different speakers. If Sonos had made them physically more different, there would be no complaints.
I won't be buying a 'smart' Sonos speaker until I can stereo pair it with my old one. If they don't fix this issue I'll just sell my old one and get out of the Sonos ecosystem altogether. What a joke.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So for those who question the appearance... think back to when Sonos offered the Play:1 Tone... a Play:1 speaker in all black or all white, not unlike the Sonos One.

This picture has a Sonos One and a Play:1 Tone in it. Can you tell which is which? :)

I will concede that there are differences in the speaker elements (a version of this picture that I took with flash made that a bit more evident, especially in the tweeter), and thus the audio output could be different. However, I would be surprised if the difference were significant enough for most people to notice. I've had my Sonos One and Play:1 grouped together in the same room and couldn't tell that there was any major difference in the audio between the two speakers. I would be more than happy to have a stereo pair of these two speakers.
Badge
Oh how i wish i had seen this thread before i stumped up £199 on the Play One! Hoped to add it to my Playbase surround system in the lounge. As it wont pair with the 1 I can't use them as the surround speakers! I have a Play 3 and 1's throughout the house but want the One in the lounge to use Alexa. So frustrating.
So the real complaint here is not that you can't do it, it's that you can't do it through Sonos? Sorry, but I find that quite daft, not to mention self-defeating. Sonos has a policy that you cannot pair unlike models. The Play:1 and One are unlike models, for despite some cosmetic similarities, they share very little parts between them and are different sonically. Another app allows you to circumvent this policy, and Sonos lets them do it. So what exactly is the problem?

And if it is the money, PM me your Paypal info, I'll give you the 2 bucks. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t reasonably expect to completely differently named speakers with different internals to pair. Sonos has stated they are different speakers and don’t recommend pairing. Sonosequencr makes it possible to do it anyhow. End of story.
Userlevel 1
Hardly believable this is a hardware issue. The syncing process of the pair is done at software level.
I have a 5.1 set (Playbar + 2 Play:1 and one Sub) and I wanted to swap a Play:1 with a Sonos One and use the other Play:1 in the kitchen/bedroom. Now I'm avoiding Sonos One, as I'm disappointed with this marketing trick.

Sonos hear me: I'll never buy two Sonos One for my 5.1 configuration (and I was very excited about Sonos One).
Agreed, and that's what I did with Trueplay. I just wondered if that was one of the reasons people were so stubbornly ignoring the solution that's right in front of them.

In the years I've been here, I have found there is a significant portion of users who are far more prone to complaining about a problem than they are to solving a problem. Case in point, the person who complained about Sonos promising to deliver Spotify for Alexa "by" a certain date instead of "on" a certain date, as if delivering it early (which it was) is a bad thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was about to order the new One speaker but having read that it won't pair with my wife's existing Play:1, I'm going to buy her something else instead (no, not Play:1 neither).

Your logic escapes me. You do understand what ‘pair’ means, right?

It's called a context. Make an effort and try to grasp it.

Ok, I’ll play: explain your logic.

Still waiting, @lwol. I'm ready to make an effort to grasp your thinking: "no, not Play:1 neither".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
pwt, a futile effort.
By pairing I meant stereo pairing of Play:1 and One. I'm not happy with Sonos' business decision that doesn't allow it. That's all. I'm just glad I checked the forums before buying the new speaker. Peace and have a nice weekend!

Peace and likewise have a good w/e. I hope you buy your wife something nice. Thanks for the follow-up.
I’m really looking forward to linking those two some way...feels odd replacing a Play:1 for a One if I already have one mic in each room...
so disappointing.
I own a Play:1 and with the ability to pair it with a Sonos One it wouldn't only improve sound quality but would also add the additional feature of voice control. So, it would make an existing product better. This isn't the case when pairing two Sonos One.
So, the priority should be on making it possible to pair Sonos One and Play: 1. that this was not done for "aesthetic" reasons makes me doubt the quality of the decision-making processes in that company.
If you believe it or not. This (and Spotify support) feature would make be buy that speaker. Otherwise, I'll stick with the old play: 1.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi, it is a real stereopair. One speaker is no more visible in the Sonos App after pairing. Its like you pair two Play:1. It is shown as L+R in Sonos room settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
But Mike did the different aesthetics detract from the sound? :D
No. 🙂 But remember, I have a Play:1 Tone and Sonos One, and those aesthetics are a lot more similar than a regular Play:1/Sonos One. (and yes, I realize the point of the question here, just pointing out that some setups may not have the drastic aesthetic difference in the first place)

Now need to find a way to add a play 1/one combo to a 5.1 setup. This pairing via a 3rd party app has confirmed however that it is not (on the surface at least) a technical issue but a commercial one.
Yeah, that's one thing I noticed that the app didn't do... surround sound/5.1 (aside from the basic settings available in the Sonos controller). Because I have a Playbar with two Play:1's, and setting up a macro to unbond the Play:1's from the Playbar and set them as a stereo pair could be helpful at times. Plus, adding the unmatched Play:1/Sonos One pair as surround speakers.

Very interesting/useful. But it would be also good to know any downsides. Is there any chance of bricking Sonos kit this way?
I would be surprised if it did. While the Sonos controller only sees one room after this pairing is done, the SonoSequencr app still clearly identifies the devices separately (while it only identifies my existing bonded surround sound setup strictly as "Playbar")... and like I mentioned, I would be surprised if this pairing lasted through a reboot. Trueplay might get a bit confused in this situation, as it tries to tune the audio of two different speakers... I didn't try to go that far at this point, since it is certainly unsupported.
I would like an honest answer from Sonos about this whole deal soon. The CEO (who is awesome and responsive) has said to "stay tuned" regarding pairing a Sonos One with a Play:1. I'm tuned. But I did buy three Ones, in addition to all the Play:1s I own...not to mention a playbar, sub, and play 5s. And so I have one of the Ones languishing for the possibility of being mated as a stereo pair to a Play:1.

I see a Sonos rep by the name of Keith saying these two products are "very different". Sure, I get that. But they are also sonically very similar.

What I want is, in the time frame of which I can actually return the 3rd Play One, can you let me know definitively if they are going to be pairable? If not, I need to return that 3rd Play One. Its totally ok by me if its not going to happen. I mean, I'm not happy about it because I would rather not return the product. I love the speakers. But I need to know if I should "stay tuned" or should I return and "tune out".

Thanks! And I would like the answer from Sonos, not from some fan. I'm a fan myself, just not of this particular situation.
Badge
No, at least not yet, this is a reply to the same question by Ryan. 'S
"The Sonos One will only pair with another Sonos One, for the purposes of creating a stereo pair or a surround sound setup. You can use a Sonos One in a household with any and all Sonos players. The Sonos One can issue commands to them all, and control what's playing. But if you're looking to made a stereo pair or surround sound setup, you'll need two Sonos Ones.

I'll make sure to pass on to the team that you're interested in seeing this at some point in the future, but there aren't any plans to share at this time that this might happen."

+1 for wanting to pair a One with a Play:1
You can use the app called SonoSequencr to pair a One with a 1. Works perfectly.
I also thought (wrongly) that these two devices would support stereo pairing, It is a shame as the stereo sounds fantastic through two play ones....

They do not look totally different they have exactly the same form and dimensions. They are slightly different.
They should pair together. Period.

Looks can be deceiving. They are completely different hardware-wise, except for two components - the base and the power cord attachment. Bottom line, they are two different models, and Sonos has never allowed the pairing of two different models. Nothing new here, and if they did allow pairing, it would be an anomaly.