Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh, and to remove the one doubt I had... the pairing did survive a reboot. I pulled the plug on both players, plugged them back in, and the pair came back as a pair.

I'm happy now. :)

Obviously I'd still like this to be official... but in lieu of that, this is a great unofficial solution to the issue of creating a stereo pair with the Play:1 and Sonos One.
I am surprised can't pair Sonos One with Play:1... Sonos always seems to be ahead of the curve and not let down on expectations... first time for me. Hope this is resolved soon.
Pairing the two speakers rather than grouping. I've recently purchased the Sonos One, two speaker deal thinking that they would pair with any other Sonos speaker to find they don't. WHY, OH WHY, would I wish to pair two Alexa capable speakers together rather than have them in separate rooms. I have several Play One speakers which I would like to pair with the Sonos One's allowing stero in different rooms.

SONOS SORT THIS OUT - I'm very cross about this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It is merely a trade off. Sonos could have made the ONE audio quality the same as the PLAY:1, which would have enabled stereo pairing. Instead they chose to improve (I hope) the audio quality on the ONE to keep it competitive. Because the speaker variants are now acoustically different, stereo pairing does not make sense.

It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just Sonos improving its products. You could have made the same complaint about the PLAY:5 generations, but we got a much better second generation product.
Recently purchased 2 Play Bars, a Sub, and 6 PLAY1's to run as stereo pairs. Now find out if I want Alexa through the speaker I now need to buy 6 new Sonos 1's???? As a loyal Sonos customer I'm very disappointed at this approach. Perhaps Sonos would be prepared to offer a buy back scheme for customers with PLAY1's now being forced to buy again if they want the feature?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I haven’t tested one vs the other. But as stated. Internally and by name they are two different speakers. They even lookk different on exterior which should be my biggest issue stereo pairing them. (They actually match the play:1 TONE model)

If you want to though there is workaround. But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.

Ps. Work around works for a play:5 gen 1 paired with play:5 gen 2. Not again that makes much sense.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It's hard not to have some sympathy for this request to be honest.

If you'd bought a 5.1 Sonos system using Play:1's for example then making it voice compatible by swapping one of the Play:1's for the voice enabled Sonos One would be very attractive. Personally, I think Sonos have missed a huge opportunity here. Even if you just had a simple stereo pair of Play:1's you might be more tempted to buy a Sonos One over an Echo Dot if you could replace one of the Play:1's. This might even encourage people to use the spare speaker to expand their system further.

Instead I think a lot of people are feeling a bit disappointed that you can't do this, and this instead makes you less likely to dive in. Especially with the standard price of an Echo Dot, the discount voucher, and the very early stage of the integration currently on offer. I'm not sure I'd even want a stereo pair of Sonos One's in the same room. It's just going to be confusing for Alexa, especially with Alexa's lack of ability to know what room it's in. If Amazon add this (let's hope they do) then how confused is that going to get with two Alexa devices in close proximity, let alone 5 in a surround setup.

The latter is more of an Amazon problem, but I'm not sure that Sonos have thought through properly what happens if/when Amazon do add room support properly to Alexa. If they allowed the new speaker to pair with Play:1's then they'd open up a pattern for the 3 & 5 speakers too, where they could release a voice enabled Sonos Three and Five for example to integrate into existing systems.

To be fair to Sonos, the whole voice assistant thing is very embryonic right now, and a lot of the problems they have are down to this, but there is some serious work required to make this properly usable in all but the simplest single room Sonos systems...
Userlevel 3
Disappointed to discover that, too. Like lots of people, I have two Play:1 behind my sofa paired for surround. I wouldn't have hesitated to exchange the Play:1 closer to the center of the living room for a Sonos One... But I need instead to buy a pair of them?! Silly! My second Play:1 being in the corner of the room, it would never be the one picking the vocal command anyway! My other option is as silly: to buy a One and add it on the top of my already Sonos-saturated living room (2 Play:1, 1 Sub, 1 PlayBar and 1 Play:5!). As a result: no Sonos One for me! :? 😞
Just to add my voice as 'another' disappointed Sonos owner, bought a Sonos One with the expectation of pairing it with one of my Play 1s and moving my Amazon dot to another room with a Sonos setup. No ability to pair with a Play 1 is hugely disappointing, As pointed out endlessly elsewhere why would you want two Alexa enabled speakers in the same room? Sonos One now gathering dust waiting for Sonos to catch up to their customer expectations. I would say in general the Alexa experience, certainly though the dot, is pretty poor on Sonos with the TuneIn radio service being hopeless on BBC streams and no ability to choose another radio service, lack of Apple music service, no ability to play from your own library and a pretty hit or miss ability for the dot to actually make the chosen room play even though it verbally acknowledges the command correctly. Feels pretty 'beta' still to me at the moment and more of a gimmick that of any real world use.
Userlevel 1
I was wondering: does Sonos officially has a statement on this issue?
Badge +3
I don't see why anyone would want to 'pair' a Play:1 with the Sonos One. They look totally different. This for me would be a no (perhaps many others as well). If wanting to add the new feature, just get an Amazon Dot. That would be a lot less expensive.

They do not look totally different they have exactly the same form and dimensions. They are slightly different.
They should pair together. Period.
I’ve recently made the leap to Sonos and bought the Sonos One, combining the sound quality of Sonos and the functionality of Alexa voice control.
I was so impressed with the sound quality and having read that the One is pretty much a Play 1 with Alexa, I decided only this week to spend another £150 on a Play 1 to pair and introduce stereo sound to my lounge.
Needless to say I had no reason to believe that these two couldn’t be paired and am now very dissapointed and frustrated having read all of these comments that there is no official fix. Who in their right mind would think that you need two voice activated speakers in the same room to get them to pair?
Why aren’t Sonos listening to all of these requests. If it can be done with a third party app, how difficult can it be for the manufacturer to sort it out themselves.
Please listen and sort this out soon
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos says that sonically they are not exactly alike a didn't want to promote them as a stereo pair.

They did acknowledge that they are pretty close and are thinking of allowing. Maybe they will in an upcoming firmware.
Disappointed with Sonos on the subject of not being able to pair a Sonos One with a Play:1.
My wife and I treated ourselves to a Sonos One for Christmas with the primary intention of creating a stero pair with our existing Play:1.
Having the Amazon assistant was secondary.
After unsuccessfully trying to pair them I found out on the internet forums, to my dismay that it couldn’t be done.
The Sonos One was returned for a refund this morning.
Own goal Sonos! 😠
Nope, no conspiracy theory or "tricks" coming from me. The point im making is that isnt totally obvious that the two speakers wont allow the same functionality, they look very similar and the name is undoubtedly similar. So its no wonder that Im not the only person that had been mistaken. And yes it is my mistake before you all jump on that too. I came on here to express my opinion that the lack of stereo paring functionality is disappointing....thats literally all.....
By trick i ment that not many people would want two alexa enabled devices in one room, so im sure allot of people, as well as myself have bought under the impression "they look the same so will do the same" easy mistake.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Undisappoint yourself. Pair with sonosequencer. It is a perfectly fine work around
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes. I've actually created two actions within the app, one for creating the pair, one for unpairing. It makes it quick and easy, in the event I have an issue and Sonos wants me to undo the pair and see if the problem persists.
Seriously annoyed by this. As it looks like a 1 and plays similarly this should be stated very clearly in all copy and on the box. Major fail Sonos.
Seems SONOS is taking some much crap over this release, talk about getting things wrong. They need to buck up their ideas. After such a successful set of hardware, i've lost quite a bit of trust in SONOS 😞
This is really poor. I brought my BF a One for Xmas, as we are moving in together and I already have a 1 and a Playbar. We were so disappointed to discover we can not pair the units for surround sound. If it’s a sales strategy then you’ve lost my vote. I love my Sonos gear and I can’t believe that this simple function has not been enabled. This really needs attention quickly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It groups just fine with all Sonos speakers. People can be stubborn about it but if you want to Stereo Pair it you can just do it with Sonosequencer vs. waiting.

It pairs just fine with other Sonos One speakers. Sonos One is a Play:1 Gen2 with Alexa. Just like you can't Pair a Play:5 gen1 and Play:5 gen2 (of course you can with Sonosequencer as well).

Stereo pairing has always been for like speakers because they are the only 2 that sound alike.. Just because the Sonos One looks like a Play:1 Tone (it actually doesn't look like the standard Play:1 in my eyes). never meant you could pair the 2 as a stereo pair.

They do not have the same internals as a Play:1. They aren't meant to be paired. They do not sound exactly the same (but yes some may say close enough). I personally wouldn't pair them for those reasons and the fact they don't look the same (actually I do have a Play:1 TONE so it would look correct paired to that speaker only).

Except the fact and if you need to pair for some reason then use Sonosequencer. Its your choice. Acting as though this is a flaw is far fetched.
Add me to the list of Sonos punters who would like to stereo pair a Sonos 1 with a Play 1. I’ve grouped them instead and I don’t notice any obvious sonic difference so would it would be nice to create a stereo pair. Not the end of the world but more convenient.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would not wait on it being officially allowed. You can do it with sonosequencr very easily so I would recommend you do that and not plan on it being officially implemented. Sonosequencr method works fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe he was looking for someone with a Playbase to help test the 5.1 functionality as he only has a Playbar. I don't know if he ever found someone willing to help test. And as Chris said, I also think he's a one man show. This is likely a side project for him.
I'm sorry but I can't get over people asking the same question a hundred times and disregarding the answer or solution to their problem. Maybe paying a $1.99 for an application to solve their problem of pairing their different model Sonos speakers is asking too much. If a person reads this whole post they could have downloaded the app. and paired their speakers instead of the non stop complaining.