Answered

Sonos one - Nest Hello integration questions

• 20 April 2019
  • 34 replies

Does Sonos one integrate with Nest Hello? As in, does the Sonos One speaker sound a chime when someone presses the smart doorbell at home? Searched around, could not find anything conclusive. This should absolutely be a supported api/feature of the integration and I am looking to get more clarity ASAP on planning some smart home purchases.

Any advise is appreciated!
icon

Best answer by eztoril 28 December 2020, 22:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I'm not aware that there's any official integration with Nest, supported by Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Me neither. As Nest is part of Google maybe something will come after Google Home Integration is released.
Ah, an excellent thought, bockersjv. We'll have to see.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Once Google assistant is available for Sonos I'm sure Nest Hello will work Just fine. Nest Hello's rings all my Google Home products (1 Google Home, 2 Google Minis and 1 Google Home Hub) I will probably not enable it on my Sonos speakers as I already have enough "ringers".
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Yes it does.

I have my nest hello announced on my Play:One “X is at the Front Door”.
It’s pretty cool!

Now I have only managed to set it up for the Sonos One and Beam. Not for my other speakers (playbar, play 5, etc...)

Does anyone know how to make the same thing work on the Playbar/Play:5?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I wouldn't think it would work on speakers that do not have Google assistant built in to it. I could be wrong though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I just checked, something. Since my One's serve as surrounds, GA is disabled and only my beam gives Nest Hello alerts.
Yes it does.

I have my nest hello announced on my Play:One “X is at the Front Door”.
It’s pretty cool!

Now I have only managed to set it up for the Sonos One and Beam. Not for my other speakers (playbar, play 5, etc...)

Does anyone know how to make the same thing work on the Playbar/Play:5?

Hi, this is so cool!

How did you manage it?
Hi, Nest said this should work, can some one from Sonos confirm this? I can't get my Beam to play a sound when the doorbell is pressed. I have Google Home as my assistant running on my Beam.

How did the others get this working?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
It most definitely works. My Beam announces when the door bell is rang.
Make sure it is enabled by:
  1. Open sonos app
  2. Settings
  3. Services
  4. Google Assistant under Voice
  5. Choose Beam (or Whatever the name of your Beam is)
  6. Next Choose Google Assistant Settings, (this opens up in the Google Home App)
  7. There are several things here. Make sure Notifications are turned on. The same has to be done for Google Home Speakers as well to hear the doorbell.
Hope this helps and works out for you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
One of the best features with the integration IMO. Works like a charm!
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
One of the best features with the integration IMO. Works like a charm!
I really like this too but I ended disabling it on my Bean, I have several Google Home speakers and the Nest Secure Alarm (which also announces it) and they all go off one by one causing a repeated echo though the whole house. Something happens when I broadcast a message.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should just disable it on one of the Google Home speakers and re-enable it on the Beam.
It most definitely works. My Beam announces when the door bell is rang.
Make sure it is enabled by:
  1. Open sonos app
  2. Settings
  3. Services
  4. Google Assistant under Voice
  5. Choose Beam (or Whatever the name of your Beam is)
  6. Next Choose Google Assistant Settings, (this opens up in the Google Home App)
  7. There are several things here. Make sure Notifications are turned on. The same has to be done for Google Home Speakers as well to hear the doorbell.
Hope this helps and works out for you.

Hi - Where about are the notifications settings with the Google Home App?
Doesn't matter, I've sorted it now 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Doesn't matter, I've sorted it now :)
You're all set? Got it working now?

I followed Ravica3 directions but I am still unable to hear the doorbell chime. I verified that my notifications for google home app and google assistant app are turned on as well. 

Are there any other suggestions or something I may be missing?

Hi .

that was a good question as i tried to connect as still no luck , I followed the exact steps above but couldn’t hear chime on my sonos 1 and Sonos base .. is there something i missed ? 
thanks for hel

One key item that Ravica3 left off is to open your Nest app, click on settings for your camera in top right corner, click visitor announcements, and enable visitor announcements. I did this after following all of Ravica3’s directions, and now my doorbell rings via my Sonos beam. Hope this helps

Here is what I have discovered. The Nest Hello Doorbell kinda works with Sonos but works inconsistently and doesn’t offer the full features that it is cable of. (i.e. it’s sort of half-assed). It took a long time to get a good answer but initially both Google/Nest and Sonos pointed the finger at the other company which left me feeling stuck.

However, I had a long and good conversation with the manager of the support group at Sonos. And he told me that:  

"Our team would love to see this integration happen but we do not have the resources to make it happen at this time. We're hoping as we continue to work with Google that we can make this integration happen in the future."

Some of the problems I have experienced include:
  1. Nest no longer support IFTTT so the only way to get this to work is by enabling Google Assistant in Sonos for the speakers that have google assistant. 
  2. If you press the Nest door bell button a second time
    1.  Within a short period of time, a minute or so, it does not announce again on the sonos speaker. (I suspect this may have to do with the IP port not being open and closed properly between the doorbell and Sonos).
    2. Sometimes the doorbell will never announce a call despite waiting a long time between the next door bell press.
  3. I haven’t been able to get the announcement to come out of multiple speakers. 
  Since Sonos is such a customer driven company and cares about customer satisfaction, the more people who post here saying that they would like the nest doorbell to work with Sonos and google assistant the more likely Sonos will do that. So, I ask anyone who is interested (in particular those who have already posted) to post a simple message asking Sonos to complete this integration.

Any idea which ports might have been blocked that I need to open for this to work?

I don’t actually know if it is a port problem. I was guessing it was just that they weren’t being opened and closed properly, not that the ports were closed. Sorry I can’t help. 

Anyone know if this issue would be resolved in the new S2 software? 

Hey Sonos!  We need to get this sorted. Please prioritize.

Sounds like a new major update is coming soon. I’d like to request Sonos put this into that release.

I have been telling others that Ring is the way to go because it has this functionality.

Sonos, please complete this integration.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Ok... I've been away from the community for a while and just now seeing this. I will double check all my settings and once I'm off work today I test my Nest again.

I'm surprised people are still having issues while I'm not.

I'll post soon with a follow-up.