Skip to main content
Answered

Yet another solid orange light defective Roam that won't turn on

Has anyone figured out a way to get these things working or am I just screwed for being a loyal customer and early adopter with a first gen roam thats out of warranty?

75 replies

Same with me. I have 2 Roams that BOTH died at the same time. Makes absolutely no sense at all. After waiting well over an hour on the phone and explaining all the troubleshooting steps I had taken they offered/agreed to replace both units.

honestly, I can’t understand how they could both die at the same time. They said it might just be a coincidence but not a chance. 

Perhaps another app upgrade issue? 

Same problem here, apparently this is a significant issue. 

Same issue here with orange led lighting up but everything else dead….

This is a very frustrating issue!
Bought 2 sonos Roam for my sons and after automatic update it just died!
My other boxes stopped showing up around the same time in the new updated Sonos APP as well!

I guess it is finally time to try other brands….

Same problem.  Roam with a 20w charger for several hours in the USB-C.  Only orange light.  Tried the 20 seconds power button, play button and every other combination I’ve read.  Unplug the usb-c and the orange light goes off.  Don’t get any sound or any other lights.  Tired of playing with this thing.  I own 16 Sonos speakers all throughout the house and outside.  Frustrating that the roam dies in less than 2 years and nothing to support it other than a few bucks off a brand new one.  I’m thousands and thousands of dollars in on the sonos brand and no support.

That fix my Sonos!! I press power button 30 seconds and than plug-in power cable. I also let the battery charge for a while before trying the trick. Before problem was the orange light only burned all the time. Now works! 

After almost tossing my 2 year old dead Roam in the trash several times, I finally broke down and ordered a compatible battery pack on Amazon as suggested by several on this thread.  I’m glad I did.  It wasn’t an easy tear down and reassembly, but the replacement battery works great and I have my Roam back.  Hopefully, this one will last a while. 

Same problem.  Roam with a 20w charger for several hours in the USB-C.  Only orange light.  Tried the 20 seconds power button, play button and every other combination I’ve read.  Unplug the usb-c and the orange light goes off.  Don’t get any sound or any other lights.  Tired of playing with this thing.  I own 16 Sonos speakers all throughout the house and outside.  Frustrating that the roam dies in less than 2 years and nothing to support it other than a few bucks off a brand new one.  I’m thousands and thousands of dollars in on the sonos brand and no support.

Same with me.  I’m done with the Roam’s.  I have two on my system, and have thankfully had both of them replaced TWICE for the orange light death.  But two days ago, one of them died.  Worst product that Sonos makes.  

After almost tossing my 2 year old dead Roam in the trash several times, I finally broke down and ordered a compatible battery pack on Amazon as suggested by several on this thread.  I’m glad I did.  It wasn’t an easy tear down and reassembly, but the replacement battery works great and I have my Roam back.  Hopefully, this one will last a while. 

same here, orange light, no response to factory reset attempt.

Same here. 25 months old. Just one month since the warranty expired.

Update to previous message. Sonos replaced both my Roam speakers at no charge. 

Update to previous message. Sonos replaced both my Roam speakers at no charge. 

Did they send gen1 or gen2?

A week after they replaced one of my roams, my other one had the same issue.  Apparently they’re sending me a roam 2 instead of a roam gen 1.  But we’ll see.  This is the 2nd and 3rd time I’ve had to get them replaced.  I even asked the agent if they would just give me a refurbished One SL instead of another roam.  I’m not optimistic about ANOTHER replacement. 

A week after they replaced one of my roams, my other one had the same issue.  Apparently they’re sending me a roam 2 instead of a roam gen 1.  But we’ll see.  This is the 2nd and 3rd time I’ve had to get them replaced.  I even asked the agent if they would just give me a refurbished One SL instead of another roam.  I’m not optimistic about ANOTHER replacement. 

It would be good if they send a gen 2. I mean I wouldn’t be optimistic either but at least with a gen2  there’s a chance they fixed the battery/power issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I preordered the Roam when it first came out.  After 14 months I got the solid orange death light.  After many emails they agree to do a warranty replacement.  The replacement lasted about 18 months and is now also dead.  I have had a Move for likely 8 years and it still works great.  They may say 12 month warranty is standard but they should just say it will last a little over 12 months and if it doesn’t we will replace it.  I have over 20 Sonos speakers in my house and all but the Roam have been great.  I love the form factor but they missed something on the 1st generation Roam and should offer an exchange for anyone that has one died for at least 4 years since that is not an unreasonable expectation for a product to last.  And don’t get me started on the new App.  If I was just getting started with Sonos that App would keep me from adding more.  They should go back to the prior version.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have this problem. My Roam worked totally fine until I went away on vacation for a week. Came back and the battery was dead (obviously) but now it won’t charge, no matter what adapter I’ve used, up to 65W. Any recent suggestions to try? I’m out of warranty, it’s just over 2 years old.

Even if you’re out of warranty.  Reach out to them.  I’ve had 2 roams replaced 3 times!  It’s exhausting.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Even if you’re out of warranty.  Reach out to them.  I’ve had 2 roams replaced 3 times!  It’s exhausting.  

I used the online support chat and they say they’re going to send me a replacement unit, so I dropped the defective one in the mail today.

That fix my Sonos!! I press power button 30 seconds and than plug-in power cable. I also let the battery charge for a while before trying the trick. Before problem was the orange light only burned all the time. Now works! 

This worked for one of my Roams. It was however not showing any orange light when plugged in, just totally dead. But it worked!!!

Badge +1

Another Roam dead!! Grrr. I have already had one replaced under warranty, and now the other one has the dreaded solid orange light of doom. It's dead, and no longer under warranty. I have a lot of SONOS gear, and everything else is great and reliable EXCEPT these ROAMS. 

Dear SONOS - convince me why I should spend even more money on the ROAM product, because so far the experience is not a good one ☹️.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wasn’t planning on replacing mine with another Roam if my problem wasn’t resolved. I wonder if the ones they’re shipping out now still have the same problem.

My battery did always drain really quickly on standby, but I assumed that was a software issue. Maybe there was something wrong with the battery itself.

I wasn’t planning on replacing mine with another Roam if my problem wasn’t resolved. I wonder if the ones they’re shipping out now still have the same problem.

My battery did always drain really quickly on standby, but I assumed that was a software issue. Maybe there was something wrong with the battery itself.

Did you enable the ‘Battery Saver’ and ‘WiFi Power Save’ features? See link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/battery-settings-for-portable-sonos-products

Yep - unfortunately my Roam is bricked even when I use correct adapter and USB-C. Orange indicator light stays on as if it’s charging but thing happens. The second I remove power it is a brick. While on power (constant orange indicator), no interaction with buttons. 

Great my Roam is now a brick also!😡

I have successfully repaired multiple Roams that seemed dead (like the title here says).   The typical symptom is no signs of life, but when plugged in to a USB-C power supply, the charge light would come on…. but no matter how long left like that it was dead when the power cable was removed.

The issue is bad lithium-ion cells.  Unlike some devices, Roam devices will not work even when plugged in to a beefy power supply, if the battery is defective.  They simply will not run from wired power supply without a working battery.

To repair this requires replacing the two lithium-ion cells inside.  It’s not an easy repair.  Just getting the device opened without damaging it is difficult.  First step is to remove the end caps (they are glued down well - use a spudger around the perimeter of each cap).  After that, there’s 4 screws (2 under each endcap) to remove the grille.  Then 6 to remove the speaker assembly (one connection to the charge/power circuit board).  Then 4 screws to remove the logic board (one wifi cable that is very well glued down and two ribbon cables to remove).  Then 4 more screws to remove the battery assembly (one connection to the charge/power circuit board).  The batteries then need to be carefully removed from the assembly, and new cells need to be installed.  Lithium-Ion cells have inherent risk and can self-ignite if not handled properly.  The cells are not soldered -- they are spot welded to nickel strips, making this step beyond many DIY toolkits.  When put back together, it should work.  Be careful re-gluing the end-caps so that the buttons (on the top) and Qi charger (on the bottom) don’t get covered in glue.

I don’t know what causes bad cells in what often seems like a short time (eg under 2 years).  It may be poor quality cells, or maybe it’s related to constant charging or physical environment (eg heat).

Of note, Sonos sells replacement battery packs for the Move speakers, and those are end-user installable.  There is no such option available for Roam speakers, making them disposable once the batteries die.

I wish there was a way for Sonos Roam users to file a Class Action Law Suit. Clearly Sonos has a highly defective product and raked in profits while leaving the consumers with defective Roam products. Any attorney available to weigh in?

Userlevel 5

I have a bricked first-gen Roam and after jumping through all these hoops, Sonos support still wanted me to do it all over again, including charging it overnight (again). Worse, they were snooty about it. I know in advance it’ll still be a brick when I contact them again this time tomorrow.

Fortunately I am in Australia so fixed warranty periods are overridden by consumer rights, but I am still this close >< to filing a complaint.

Once again we get a taste for why Sonos’s brand is in the dumpster.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I got the new one and it seems to be working perfectly. Obviously there’s an issue with the original Roam, but kudos to them for fixing the issue for me.