Answered

Roam keeps turning itself on.

• 21 April 2021
  • 79 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

79 replies

Userlevel 7

@James L. 

Thanks for your Best answer! 🙂

So what is my point? Create a feature where you can enable / disable the auto power on feature when you open the SONOS app. Allow your customers to chose its intention as primary or complimentary. 

Isn’t that option already there for the user, who can either leave the Roam in standby mode, or power off the device completely. The fact the speaker wakes-up for 3 minutes when the Sonos App is opened is really neither here, nor there, when it comes to overall Battery drain - its network adapter in low power mode listening out for the WOL packet for long periods is what is draining the Battery.

The only worthwhile way to stop that Battery drain is to power-off the device completely and the power-button option is there to do that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Same issue here and is very annoying. Fully charged the Roam night before and next day it’s 35%. Yes it turns in anytime you use another Sonos speaker, even changing songs or pausing them. This is ridiculous. Love the sound and functionality of the Sonos products but this seems to be a miss. Should have the ability to fully keep it off and function as designed for a moveable speaker. Defeats the purpose of having it in a ready state to take with you when you have to find an outlet to charge it within an hour or so. Needs to be fixed with an update if possible or going to return and get another brand. Never had an issue with my Boom speakers. Sonos sounds amazing, wish the function was the same. 

You can completely power it off by long pressing the power button for around 5 seconds… I did that when it’s fully charged on Sunday and put it on again yesterday (that is over 48 hours later), and the battery level was 99%.

Userlevel 1

ooomygoooood this is so, SO annoying!!

WHYYYYY would you design the product this way???

It would be SO not a big deal to turn the Roam on from inside the app right before you want to use it with your other speakers. The “delay” would be like two seconds. Instead, the Roam goes on when you don’t want it to, drains the entire battery, and then when you actually want to use it, it’s dead 😠

Every other bluetooth speaker I’ve had will turn off automatically after you don’t use it for awhile. This. 

I’m super bummed out by the this. Is there any way to change this in the future via a software update????

I guess mine is broken and needs to go back because it has never turned itself back off unless the battery is dead.

In that case, I would submit a diagnostic report and post it’s reference back here and then speak/chat with Sonos Support (during opening hours) to see if they can assist. You can contact them via this LINK. Hope you get it sorted soon.👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @sjw 

@Corry P, Sonos claim a battery life of upto 10 days when in sleep mode for the Roam.  Is that in a scenario where it is in a location with other Sonos speakers but neither they nor the App are never used?  As the drain while in proximity to an activated Sonos App appears to be far in excess of 10% a day, what is the environment the Roam would need to be in in order to get this Standby life?  If it's not near other speakers, users may as well fully power off instead and get much less drain?

The important point here is “up to”. The actual battery life (each charge, not the total lifespan) depends on a lot of factors, but one of the most important is battery temperature. Another is - yes - app and other speaker activity. Even the IP address lease time set on your router has an effect. Much like the quoted fuel efficiency of a car or the battery life of a laptop, the figure quoted is an upper limit - you will not see it go beyond the quoted figure, and the quoted figures generally rely on ideal conditions. 

I don’t currently know the specific conditions under which the “10 days” figure was reached, but I can reach out and try to find out.

If you power off your Roam, the battery’s charge will last a lot longer, but it will not react to the app and needs physical interaction to turn on (button press or charger connected). Therefore sleep mode is for when you want to be able to play music to the Roam without touching it, but there is a power price to pay for this functionality - how can it react to the app without a functioning WiFi connection and CPU usage?

Personally, I would suggest the following:

• If you’re not near a power supply (and therefore probably not near WiFi either), you should turn your Roam off when not using it - there’s no advantage to having it sleeping in this situation, other than how quickly you can get it playing again.
  • If you are near a power supply, (and therefore possibly connected to WiFi), you may as well charge it so you have maximum playing time for later, when there is no power. There is no direct connection from the USB socket or the Qi induction coil to the battery - the charging is controlled by software and you will not damage your Roam or it’s battery by leaving it on charge.
  • When you’re out and about, and are stopping playback and putting your Roam in your bag, for example, but plan on using the Roam again soon, put it to sleep so the buttons don’t get pressed by objects in your bag and so you don’t need to wait for it to boot up again when you bring it back out. As it’s a short time, the power usage difference between sleep and off will be negligible, compared to the convenience of being able to get it playing again in a few seconds.

Can you address the issue of the Roam waking from sleep mode when using the app?  It seems like this is causing unnecessary battery drain in sleep mode (yes it could be powered off- but there are disadvantages to that).   

it seems there should be a way to use the app for my many other Sonos products, and not wake the Roam.   Will Sonos make this software change?  Give users a choice as to whether to wake Roam or not via the app (when in sleep mode)?  And let’s assume for this conversation that sleep mode (NOT power off)- is desired.   

Badge +17

Can you address the issue of the Roam waking from sleep mode when using the app?  It seems like this is causing unnecessary battery drain in sleep mode (yes it could be powered off- but there are disadvantages to that).   

it seems there should be a way to use the app for my many other Sonos products, and not wake the Roam.   Will Sonos make this software change?  Give users a choice as to whether to wake Roam or not via the app (when in sleep mode)?  And let’s assume for this conversation that sleep mode (NOT power off)- is desired.   

Hi @caesar327,

As I’ve already stated in your other thread, I’ve passed your feedback and suggestions on to our development team for consideration. We don’t comment on our roadmap, so I don’t have anything to share regarding if, or when this feature will be implemented. Your concerns have been heard and noted.

Userlevel 2

I’ve experienced the battery drain as well, it kept coming back online when I pressed the back button and it went to “sleep”. I found that you have to turn the device off (hold the back button for about 5-7 seconds until tri-tone) then it will stay off until you turn it back on. (Works for my main use as a bathroom speaker, but kind of annoying to have to turn it on and off). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The problem with the Roam is, when you’re home, you just want to use it as a traditional plugged in speaker for much of the time. But when you leave the Roam on a charging mat, it loses charge over time instead of gaining. Every time I leave it on the mat, it shows it charging, but by the next morning it’s dead. When it’s on the QI charging mat I just want it to stay close to 100% charge until I pick it up.

I gave up on using the wireless charger because I have pretty much the same problem as you. Mine charges to 100% using the wireless charger but then it shuts off and because the roam loves to turn itself on and stay on the battery is dead before you know it. Leaving the roam plugged in all the time sucks but I don’t have much of a choice if I want it to be fully charged and ready for use.

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same issue , I got mine a few days ago, I keep thinking I am turning it off but then after a while the white light comes back in . I went to use it this morning after being at 100% yesterday and it was completely drained. It’s now lost 20% over half a day . This is absolutely ridiculous. Sonos reckon on standby it will last around 10 days but I can’t see this happening  we should be able to charge and be ready to pick up and go without charging everyday . I’m very disappointed I the roam for this. I thought maybe I was not turning off properly and came to see if I could find an answer and found this thread.  .. has anyone found a answer to the problem? It is driving me mad keep turning itself back on. I don’t want it on standby permanently, I have other options for getting the weather etc. I just want to charge the roam , turn off and be ready to turn on when I want to take it outside. Surely that’s the point of a portable speaker. 

I’m struggling how to turn it off . If I press once it goes to sleep mode if I press snd hold a few seconds it goes in to blue light mode. 

Keep the power button pressed until you hear the ‘descending’ power-off tone about 5+ seconds

Morning, just chucking in my thoughts.

Roam was at 58% charge last night. Put it on the QI pad and switched it OFF (not sleep). It stayed off. Went to bed a couple of hours later and it was still off (QI pad showed it was charging).

Middle of the night I got called out by work - noticed the Roam was on - single white light, QI pad still flashing its charging. Took it off the pad and switched it OFF.

This morning I switched it back on and its at 46% charge.

Not very good is it?

The Roam does, and is designed to, power on when placed on a charger and can be used whilst charging.

If it’s losing the charge, then I suspect the charger is not providing a sufficient power-output, perhaps?

Same feeling here. I was expecting a portable device that does not need to be plugged in … Very disappointed. I wish they update it with on option for the use many of us have. 

Userlevel 2

Hellbat...I was still having the same issue yesterday afternoon where my Roam was still losing battery after the 5 second hold to turn “Off”.  However, I removed the device from my system and set it back up again from the beginning.  Now my Roam is functioning as its supposed to...if I fully charge it, then unplug and hold power button for 5 seconds, it will fully shut off until I manually turn it back on.  Tried it this morning and it was at 99%, seems to be working correctly now.  

Userlevel 1

Sounds like Sonos needs to update their software.   When I long press the power button to turn off the Roam it either goes into Bluetooth pairing mode, or goes off and comes back on in the bluetooth pairing mode.  After trying multiple times it will eventually go off and stay off.  Far too hard to turn off.

The SONOS app has been closed and not used during these issues.  Connected to wifi, not Bluetooth.

Will there be a fix for this? I love the Roam and I love using it on my deck. With the power turning on without my knowledge every time I want to use it I have less than 10% charge.  I have to plug it in to use it, which defeats the purpose. 

I’m going to have to return it for something else if there isn’t a fix or a work around on this.

I would really like to see Sonos fix this my making it simply turn off when you use the power button to turn it off.  WAY too complicated to figure out how to make the thing turn off and say off so it doesn’t drain the battery.

PLEASE SONOS DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO MAKE THE ROAM TURN OFF WHEN IT IS TURNED OFF!!!!!

It’s not actually that difficult - perhaps take a moment to view this YT video:

Badge

I had the same issue with the roam turning itself on whenever you opened the app. Solution…hold the on/off standby button down until the second set of tones. The first set is for standby and the second set actually turn it off. It takes a good 10 secs or more. Be patient for the second set. Solved my issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just set up the Roam.  Sounds great but a few minutes after I turn it off it comes back on.  Has done this several times.  Any ideas?

Hello,

I noticed this too…, strangely enough, when I close the Sonos App on my smartphone, the Roam remains off…, when I start again the Sonos App, the Roam turn on from sleep mode (without touching it).

I tried this now 3 times with the same result…

I don’t love the response by James L.. This is, of course, opinionated and can be argued both ways. Wired and wireless speakers have two very different uses. The SONOS app and wired speakers offer significant convenience. If I intend on using a wireless speaker then I’ll turn it on because its traveling with me. It sounds like SONOS designed it to be an alternative to the wired speakers, but from a marketing perspective it acts as a compliment to.

So what is my point? Create a feature where you can enable / disable the auto power on feature when you open the SONOS app. Allow your customers to chose its intention as primary or complimentary. 

One additional suggestion could be to have 2 modes we could toggle between:

- the classical current Sonos speaker behavior which can make sense for mobility inside the house.

- a portable mode, battery focused, with all the feature requested above i.e.auto turn off, no immediate wake up etc. This would be useful when going out, to use the roam in the same way as other pure portable speaker. 

Edit: realized this was somehow already mentioned above. That would be neat. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Unfortunately the same, I really would like to avoid returning and love everything else about it. However, if a portable speaker can’t be fully charged and ready to go when you need it, it is pointless. Please add a setting to toggle the auto-on feature and I’ll end up using this thing everywhere. 

I’m glad to hear that you enjoy your new Roam! There already is a setting for this - it’s called Off.

My understanding is that in the same manner as the Sonos ‘Move’, a playing ‘Roam’ will fall into sleep-mode after 30 minutes of inactivity, when off its charger.

If a user opens the Sonos app on the same network, the app sends a signal to the ‘Roam’ to wake it up, so that it's ready to play music, if music isn’t played to the Roam, it will simply go back to sleep after 5 minutes, to also help preserve its battery. 

Only if that was true for mine. When mine turns itself on it never turns back off and within 10 hours it’s dead. I can’t even leave it on the wireless charger because once it’s fully charged the charger turns off and 10 hour later the roam is dead again. The only way I have found to keep it charged is to keep it plugged in which isn’t what I’m looking for in a portable speak

‘Roam’ should work that way, when it’s off its charger - maybe consider making a short (timed) edited video of your issue and take a diagnostic report and send those onto Sonos Support. Obviously the Roam should remain powered-on all the time when cabled to the correct adapter. I can’t account for your charger powering off, but assume that would mean the ‘Roam’ in that case reverts back to its ‘off-charger’ power-saving mode, but that will be catered for by your video and diagnostic report hopefully.

A few minutes ago, I made a quick ‘time-lapse’ animated gif from a video recording of the ‘Roam’. 

If I don’t play any audio to the ‘Roam’, after opening the Sonos App (at 22:08 hours) to wake-up the device, it’s goes straight back to sleep within 3 minutes (at 22:11 hours).

So it looks like it’s only awake for 3 minutes and not 5 minutes as previously stated, before it then falls back into sleep-mode. (See times shown on mobile device).

I’m just not sure if my time-lapse animated.gif will work when posted to this forum.