Spotify Connect, serious competition

• 3 September 2013
  • 254 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I just came across this via a post on the 'Sonos Fans' page on google+. Fon have launched a streaming music player with Spotify being the initially provider.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fon/gramofon-modern-cloud-jukebox

in the FAQ it says "Do I need to download an app to be able to play music on the Gramofon?

No. Gramofon works with the music apps you love most. It is hassle free...."

meaning that Spotify is sending directly to the Gramofon from its own app. Again, Sonos are missing a trick here.

If you watch the video you can see that they're using Spotify Connect to play to it. The device shows up on there.

I'm definitely irritated that Sonos is ignoring Spotify Connect, especially now that they've embraced casting (well, more like the DIAL protocol) from the Google Music Android app.
Userlevel 1
And now spottily has added the long awaited "Your Music" feature which allows you to organise your music by artist and album rather than playlists. Guess what - not available on Sonos.

There's a request for this over on the ask.sonos site - https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/your_music_feature_on_spotify

However, I wouldn't hold out much hope - spotify are concentrating on Spotify connect and don't seem to be adding new functionality to their API (spotify radio being another example).

I've now cancelled my spotify subscription. I'm just not prepared to continue paying for a premium subscription when I'm not able to get access to all the features.

Mike
Userlevel 1
Badge
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/spotify-now-handles-multi-room-streaming-on-samsung-devices/

I posted this in another thread, but it is interesting that you can now play to multiple rooms at once with Spotify Connect on the Samsung Shape speaker system. Maybe Spotify has altered the Connect protocol a bit to allow for this, which may be good news for Sonos... if in fact they are hoping to do the same thing. Who knows.

Just hoping.
I don't understand why Spotify is going the old Apple route of a proprietary protocol, like Airplay. Why not do what all the other streaming services are doing, adopting Google's open ChromeCast protocol? Or at least UPnP, which Sonos can render.

I've stayed far away from Apple for their proprietary ways, and will do the same with Spotify. Lots of better alternatives.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yeah, it would be nice if they used the DIAL protocol as a fallback (what Chromecast is), then it could be supported in a wide range of devices easily. I can't really blame them too much for making Spotify Connect though since they have more control over development. I believe in the future they're going to keep your play queue "in the cloud" as well so it really syncs across devices which is something that would not be possible with DIAL or UPnP.

What better alternatives are you speaking of? I've pretty much tried them all and for the desktop and mobile experience beyond Sonos, I don't think anyone can touch Spotify unfortunately. Google Music came REALLY close for me, though.
Rdio and Google are both superior, IMO. Google is just getting started. They own Android, and their player is installed by default on millions of devices. If they can integrate Songza's simple curation method, add a few more features, and get Chromecast into more homes, Spotify will be looking less attractive.

Spotify has really mucked up their UI with the black background. What's up with that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Spotify has really mucked up their UI with the black background. What's up with that?

Ha - and sonos followed suit !
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What better alternatives are you speaking of? I've pretty much tried them all and for the desktop and mobile experience beyond Sonos, I don't think anyone can touch Spotify unfortunately. Google Music came REALLY close for me, though.

I'm with you on this - I've tried all those available in the UK. Spotify provides the best all round experience across desktop, mobile and sonos. However with the recent change to 'my music', the gap is growing between what spotify offers vs sonos' integration. I spend the most time in my car using the mobile app so this is more important than anything for me. Google comes close of all the rest but the mobile app is pretty poor on IOS. If spotify and sonos worked together to get sonos working with spotify connect I would quit bashing them over the terrible new UI (5.0) as I'd never have to use it again other than the occasional setting.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm with you on this - I've tried all those available in the UK. Spotify provides the best all round experience across desktop, mobile and sonos. However with the recent change to 'my music', the gap is growing between what spotify offers vs sonos' integration. I spend the most time in my car using the mobile app so this is more important than anything for me. Google comes close of all the rest but the mobile app is pretty poor on IOS. If spotify and sonos worked together to get sonos working with spotify connect I would quit bashing them over the terrible new UI (5.0) as I'd never have to use it again other than the occasional setting.
I've found that the mobile apps for all of the services can't touch Spotify in terms of streaming reliability and quality (per MB). This is a deal breaker as I use Spotify in the car all the time.

On another note, I actually really like the new Spotify UI.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I've found that the mobile apps for all of the services can't touch Spotify in terms of streaming reliability and quality (per MB). This is a deal breaker as I use Spotify in the car all the time.

On another note, I actually really like the new Spotify UI.

agreed - the spotify mobile app is the most 'robust' for recovering from poor data coverage, good buffering and resuming from where it left off when it hasnt been used for a few hours. The others (Rdio, Google, Deezer, Napster) all fall short one way or another. Im also used to the colour scheme now but its not so easy to read in bright conditions.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I like Spotify, but recently started using Google instead -- at first because the Radio functionality in Google works on SONOS and Spotify's doesn't.

But now that I get deeper into it, I'm finding near parity for my purposes. Pretty impressive, really.

And later this year when Amazon's streaming service hits SONOS, that may really seal the deal, since I'm already paying that one, anyway, and my tastes can lag the market by six months, no problem....and I'll have Beats in my back pocket, just in case.

....but anyway, my point is, I wouldn't have tried something other than Spotify EXCEPT that Spotify's API is so limited that the experience was lacking on the SONOS. Spotify drove me away.

And I discovered excellent replacements. Spotify is hurting themself.
If Spotify can get "Connect" happening in Sync with multiple devices.... why is there any need for Sonos at all?

Sonos:

No 24 bit
No software zone
No throw track from iphone to another device..
Locked down development: inhibiting embedment of playback into other devices

Spotify Connect (with multiroom sync)

Potentially 24 bit
Software (win/ios/android/OSX) zone
Pick up from iphone and throw to another zone..
Open source encouragement of embedment into other hardware
Userlevel 1
Spotify Connect (with multiroom sync)

Potentially 24 bit

Really? In what way? Spotify doesn't even stream lossless 16-bit audio yet, suggesting it may support 24-bit is a ridiculous thing to say.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/spotify-now-handles-multi-room-streaming-on-samsung-devices/

I posted this in another thread, but it is interesting that you can now play to multiple rooms at once with Spotify Connect on the Samsung Shape speaker system.

^ ...Yes and with Bluesound as well.. (24 bit capable)
I'm telling you I believe Sonos is in trouble on this.

If they fight Spotify: they will lose.

I'm with everyone who thinks: Wake up Sonos!!!

The Spotify music experience is NOT hardware dependant for playback . The Sonos one is.

Game over IMHO, Unless Sonos radically changes their attitude.. and FAST....
The SONOS control API has been open since day one. Anyone who understands UPnP can control SONOS. Check The Unsupported Area for some project ideas.

Also, SONOS has used 24 bits internally since day one. While 24 and 32 bits are very handy during production in the studio, other than satisfying a fundamentalist marketing "check box", no one has been able to construct a peer reviewed experimental protocol that can demonstrate any benefit to rendering the music in 24 bits. Sending 24 bits over the network, particularly a wireless network, will downgrade overall system scope and robustness. One of the reasons why a SONOS works as well as it does is because the networking is so robust. This is the real reason why SONOS is the market leader.

If the fundamentalists win the 24-bit "check box" war, we will experience more connectivity issues and it will be a hollow "win".

Besides, why settle for 192/24 when 384/32 is available and playback equipment already exists?
^ Ok..

Then take out the 24 bit comment.

They will lose vs Spotify Connect in 16 bit..

Sonos is in trouble with this... even in 16 bit....

Serious trouble IMHO..
Because suddenly the entire Sonos experience becomes irrelevant...

A Spotify user doesn't need Sonos anymore...

Next it will be a Pandora user who doesn't need Sonos..

Then a Rdio user..

(...if All the streaming services start following Spotify with a similar "connect" offering......)
Is Sonos going to fight *every* music streaming service?
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
We should have a special part of the Forum where every disgruntled / disillusioned Sonos owner can sell their equipment cheaply to the rest of us (happy/contented Sonos customers) ... while they still have the chance and the market crashes 😃
^
It's a very fast changing world out there..

Sonos is crazy not to take this extremely seriously.....
Userlevel 1
^
It's a very fast changing world out there..

Sonos is crazy not to take this extremely seriously.....

You're right on the first part, in five years time Spotify could be bankrupt, they still haven't made a profit yet (far from it). I'll take them seriously when they start showing they can make enough money to survive, their backers won't allow the losses to continue indefinitely.
I don't know what else to say..

If Sonos users can't see why Spotify Connect isn't a serious threat to Sonos's very existence: if/once Spotify get multizone sync happening...

Well..

Have you used Spotify Connect? What do you like about it?

If Sonos users can't see why Spotify Connect isn't a serious threat to Sonos's very existence: if/once Spotify get multizone sync happening...

Well..

Feel free to email John MacFarlane and give him the benefit of your forensic business analysis.