Sonos Sub Gen 3 crackling/static sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

246 replies

Update: This was only a temporary “fix” of the noise issue. The noise is back - so the trick with wired connection did not help :-(

I really look forward to a real fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Update: This was only a temporary “fix” of the noise issue. The noise is back - so the trick with wired connection did not help :-(

I really look forward to a real fix.

Agree, Sonos need to respond to this problem. Even if wiring sub solves the issue it does not feel ok to me. If users cannot use Sonos’ speakers wirelessly they cannot market their products as wireless speaker systems.

I too have the same issue - I bought my Beam, Sub and 2 x One SLs for a home theatre set up in November. The original sub had this humming issue in which a replacement was sent out to me very quickly. The new sub which I have received still has the same issue but only when I put my ear in between the gap on the sub, and even then it is a faint hum, where as before it was that loud I could hear it 2 metres away.

One thing I have noticed is that it stops when streaming music from Apple Music, but happens when audio is received from the HDMI connection...

Received mine today. Same issue with a hissing/electric sound, mostly can be heard when you have music playing and turn volume to zero, but also audible when you sit close to the sub and volume is lower.

Will need to replace if there’s no other way to fix it. Following to see how Sonos handles this and if it makes sense to replace now or later.

Version: 12.2.2

HW version: 1.32.1.4-2.1

Series: A200

Sounds good otherwise, but this is unacceptable.

System: Arc + 2 x One SL + Sub.

Received my replacement Sub3 from Sonos today. So far so good. 👍

My Gen3 Sub has just shipped. fingers crossed the issue is resolved! Will know soon enough I guess. 

Good luck. My replacement unit hasn’t given me any issues so far.

My replacement Gen 3 sub has also been without issue. Good luck.

Ended up going for the replacement. Few hours in, no issues so far.

Badge

And after 3 months and 2 unsuccessful replacements i opened third case and decided to wait with replacements because there is no point. Obviously this is design flaw.

Rattling sound

I have just replacement Sub #3, and yet again another refurbished A200 build with the same issue. However, this one is a lot worse than my original. 

I have contacted Sonos, who have stated that they are going to escalate this to the in-house technicians. 

Not sure what the next step will be, but it’s rather frustrating going round in circles. 

I have just replacement Sub #3, and yet again another refurbished A200 build with the same issue. However, this one is a lot worse than my original. 

I have contacted Sonos, who have stated that they are going to escalate this to the in-house technicians. 

Not sure what the next step will be, but it’s rather frustrating going round in circles. 

Reading you guys I think I am gonna keep mine. Looks like a dead end loop. I can hear the sound only when I stuck my head to the sub. I agree for 850euros it's a huge pain in the ass..that's so **** for a brand like Sonos. Fingers crossed it's not a sign for huge issues in a few months 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Sonos  @Sonosmangementteam

ceo@sonos.com

patrick.spence@sonos.com
Ted.Dworkin@sonos.com

matthew.siegel@sonos.com

After Sonos-Software-Gate S1/S2 you are forcing your Sub-Hardware-Gate???

Please advise to your fellow customers! Or don’t you care - again???

I also had the sub replaced this week and the problem continues. Sonos has been aware of this problem for at least 2 years and it remains unsolved. It's time to collect and repair the subs or guarantee replacement to customers with a new version (A203??) or with a new generation.

Hi @Livius21, @Mansfield46 and all the others,

just got the 2nd exchange device today (remember: 1st one was a brand new Sub Gen. 3 A202, 1.32.1.6-2.1, 2nd one was a refurbed A200, 1.32.1.5-2.1). It is again a refurbed model (A200, 1.32.1.5-2.1). 

So, what should I say? The annoying “crackling” noise in idle now is gone! Cheers, Sonos! 

But as @Mansfield46 mentioned above: a “refurbished certified”-labeled product is fairly not a brand new one (which could be even relevant in case of reselling it in future) as ordered and paid for… will talk about that with local Sonos support. I’m confident that a solution will be found for this either. 

Wish you all the best!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Third sub = same problem.

Waiting for the fourth, this is incredible, I mean, INCREDIBLE

the latest refurb was a model A200…. so the first one manufactured.

Userlevel 1

For me it is sadly not solved, I need to replace mine again…

Userlevel 1

Honestly I am thinking about returning it and buying it again on Black Friday for less…

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can clearly hear the WiFi/data transmission buzzing, like an old modem

Dunno then 🤷‍♂️ …are you able to perhaps grab/isolate it in a recording and post it online? I’m not hearing/noticing such a sound here. Maybe others will then chime in here too.

Perhaps it’s a sound/frequency your hearing has become sensitive too - it’s hard to say without hearing/knowing what I’m looking for, but will happily listen out for it if you post it online. I’m happy to explore these things.

I’ve had my Wife listening for sounds from the Sub too and she isn’t hearing anything either, she says, other than the obvious/usual low-level frequencies.

I have a video for each of the replacement units.. even the fourth is having the same issue.

could you perhaps try to isolate the sub and check ? If you start playing something (or even during the update! There is a data transfer.. the noise comes from the sub WiFi module) having the sub placed in another room, can you hear the data transfer noise from it? You should be able. At this point I think this is a “feature” (unbelievable for a near 900€ product), but every unit has this

@Vanx,
Can you perhaps post a link to your videos or the recordings, as that may help others here to understand the issue of what you’re hearing - why does the Sub need to be isolated in a different room to hear it? It sounds like it is hard to detect, so a video will hopefully assist. Then others here can perhaps chime in too. 

As you have a recording studio I assume you can isolate and perhaps highlight the issue so we can see/listen what to look for.

If every unit has it, I’m surprised that a lot more people are not reporting it here and elsewhere online .. could it be a case you have just become sensitive to the sound? It’s sometimes difficult to unhear things once you notice them, even when they are extremely quiet sounds. This would apply moreso if you have your ear right next to the speaker and actually looking for the noise instead of general-listening to audio say at the ‘sweet spot’, or some distance away, elsewhere in the room.

Is it affecting, or spoiling the audio when it’s actually playing, or is it just something you hear shortly before playback begins?

A decent recording from your studio of what you’re hearing perhaps may help as I’m not (yet) noticing anything here, even when listening up close.

Hi all, 

I can confirm that the rattling sound is still existent with the newly build Sub 3s. Mine produces the same annoying sound in standby and the manufacture date is June 2021 (confirmed by Sonos Support via the serial number). 

Sonos offered to replace the Sub with a new one, but I highly doubt that this will help, as it seems that the hardware defect hasn’t been resolved with the current batch.

@Sonos: Are there any updates available?

Userlevel 1

Got my new Sub Gen. 3 (HW-Version 1.32.1.6-2.1) today from Sonos (Europe). What should I say, crackling-noise in idle is still there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjt06eazkqpnyp6/Sub_crackling.mp3?dl=0

:slight_frown:

My Sonos Sub ordered 2 weeks ago in Germany is even HW Version 1.32.1.6-2.2 and it does the same noise.
I am sitting 2m away from my TV and sub and I can hear it very annoying during quiet movies or scenes.

Got my new Sub Gen. 3 (HW-Version 1.32.1.6-2.1) today from Sonos (Europe). What should I say, crackling-noise in idle is still there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjt06eazkqpnyp6/Sub_crackling.mp3?dl=0

:slight_frown:

That’s so disappointing! At least the media in Europe is starting to discuss this issue 

Sonos Sub Gen 3 Issues

Yeah, I know… it’s disappointing… I had hoped, the HW-Version-refresh will deliver a solution...

Userlevel 2
Badge

So if the hardware refresh doesn’t solve the issue after months:

Does it mean Sonos is not able to solve it or just doesn’t care as long as they earn money with that inferior quality?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Based on my conversation with Sonos Support in the past couple of months, there is definitely still a known issue with the Sub A202, they advised not me not to replace again for the time being because I will most likely hear the same issue, so that does not indicate to me that this is a rare occurrence.  The pop sound from standby definitely should not be happening, and it should be completely avoidable with  a “soft start” circuit so the surge of electrical power to the amplifier when powering up from standby doesn’t cause a pop sound. This soft start circuit is standard on premium amplifiers so people won’t hear an annoying thud or pop sound when the amplifier is being powered up, here’s an example of a soft start module: https://theaudiocrafts.com/soft-start-module-audiograde 

I think the low crackling sound is perhaps indirectly related because of poor electrical shielding within the Sub that is causing inference on the amplifier.  Either Sonos can’t source enough supply of quality components to provide features like soft start, or there’s a fundamental design flaw in the Sub Gen 3. Now that supply chain constraints are easing, I will be leaning more to this being a design flaw if people receiving new Subs manufactured in recent months are still presenting with the same issue. 

You perfectly presented the current situation, I may add that it is really bad given the Sonos positioning and the premium prices.

I’m currently stuck with a chirping sub that I had to disconnect from the system.

The support just forwarded my case to the US engineering team, but I’m not so confident there is  a flawless unit being manufactured right now.

Wondering if the sub mini (a part from the plastics/assembly problems) suffers from the chirping and standby issues