Sonos Sub Gen 3 crackling/static sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

246 replies

Glad I found this today as I am in the process of selling my Sonos Sub Gen2 to purchase a Sub Gen 3 using my 30% off coupon.

I’m thinking I should hold tight and keep the Gen 2 sub since it is working perfectly?

I have a A202 and it’s making that electric noise from the Dropbox link!

Very annoying when watching quiet horror movies.

Hello everyone,

I have also just received a brand new A202 (in Germany) as well and was frankly shocked by the high-frequency whirring that it emits throughout the room. Granted, one can only hear it with quiet music or light conversations on TV but this certainly does not sound “right”. It also emits the aforementioned crackling when you put your head close to the sub.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c0077398557b8372cded0840d19f028520220105171945/654b67159529db056462486a65d3fcdf20220105171945/8536ab

I didn’t know about this problem before I experienced this myself and I am honestly appalled by the extent of it. This seriously diminishes my trust in Sonos as a company, even though I am very happy with the rest of my Arc surround set.

Sonos Support was quick to dispatch a brand new replacement, but I am curious to see whether it won’t show the same issues. If it does, I’ll just return the sub for good and wait a couple of months and hope they’ll iron it out. Moreover, one could keep the sub and return it before the 100 day period ends.

Unfortunately I still haven’t heard back from Sonos support. I reached out about 2 times earlier this year and I was told that as soon as the new model becomes available, they will reach out to process the replacement and ensure that I receive it in time.

So I was quite surprised that other people are starting to receive the new model and no one from Sonos tried to get in touch with me. I don’t want to go through another exchange and get another unit with the same problem.

No need to be sad, as it does not seem to have been fixed. ;) The customer support agent told me that only the batches A200-201 were affected and that A202 should have fixed it, but from my experience and from other reports, that doesn’t seem to be true. Again: this does not engender trust in the competence of Sonos or its engineers.

There’s only one reason to upgrade, as near as I can tell, which is to allow the use of two Subs in a home theater Sonos ‘room’. Beyond that, they have the same functionality. 

I can‘t believe they still didn‘t fix this issue. I want to buy a sub for my Sonos system, but I don‘t want a flawed one again. Did the Sub 2 have the same issues?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Sonos,

instead of solving the confirmed quality issues with the sub (crackling noise) for your CUSTOMERS,

your are increasing the price of an inferior High Fidelity Sub this Sunday by 50 USD for your SHAREHOLDERS!?

I guess this won’t work in the long run …

Please solve this issue after several months!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Got a refurb replacement sub (and mine was NEW).

result? This one has the same problem and worse, there is an always on electrical/56k modem dialing noise that gets very loud when playing music.

@Sonos 

what do we have to do?

Got a refurb replacement sub (and mine was NEW).

result? This one has the same problem and worse, there is an always on electrical/56k modem dialing noise that gets very loud when playing music.

@Sonos

what do we have to do?

I would certainly try a different power-outlet and if still no joy, then submit a diagnostic report and make a note of it’s reference and maybe make a mobile video recording, showing the issue (if practicable), then contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Seems odd to have the issue repeatedly after trying several replacement Subs, might it be the electricity supply at the local property? Maybe give it a try setup at another premises (friend/relatives Home) and just see if the issue goes away. Worth a try, at least.

I have a number of Subs and not noticed the issue, although I’ve seen some others mention hearing the static/ticking sound when you put your ear really close to the Subs aperture. I dont hear the static, but maybe it’s the switching PSU power supply, hence my suggestion to try the sub powered up elsewhere, away from the Home, just to see if the issue changes and/or goes away completely.

So if you put your ear near the subs when they are receiving data you hear nothing? Unfortunately I have a conditioned power grid as I have a recording studio, and even at a friend house the last one did the same… can’t understand.

There was a recent thread that suggested that for Hisense TVs, you needed to change the setting fom ‘pass through’ to ‘Auto’….or perhaps it was the other way around. I don’t own a Hisense to confirm.

If that doesn’t fix your issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Since I’ve never owned a Hisense, any instructions I’m giving would be hazy at best, but somewhere in the settings for the TV set would be an area for Audio Settings. Somewhere in that area would be something that likely say Digital Audio, or ann option along those lines. I suspect it has at least two options, either ‘pass through’ or ‘auto’. Flip it from what it is now to the other and see if that fixes your issue. 

Or, you could call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They probably have better information than I do. 

I am having this issue with my SUB gen 3 only when using my firestick 4K. when playing a movie it’s fine but when I pause the movie i get that gargling, popping, crackling sound from the SUB gen 3 A202.

what I have tried,

change HDMI ports on ARC and Firetstick

factoy reset my entire sonos Home theatre (ARC, Ones and Sub) 

change audio on firestick to (PCM then Dolby, then Doly plus etc) 

all this does is mitigate it for a short while but after a few minutes its back.

The issue does not happen when watching netflix straight from the TV Netflix app e.g.

Hardwired the Sonos sub to the router via ethernet and dissabled wifi

The firestick is connected to a Philips sync box which in turn is connected to my LG OLED C1 eARC HDMI port 1. when connecting the Firestick directly I have the same issue.

I am still within 14 days return. This is a very expenisve product and I love it overall but I cannot accept this.

Please tell me what I should do. 

Thanks

JJ

Userlevel 1

@andrewchiu1st today i have moved the sub to a different room + connected with 1 Sonos One. In this room there is no router / anything that could be seen as electromagnetic interference so I can test.

I have found that the noise on “standby”, e.g. power on, but no audio playing, there is an audible electro-static hum when close to the unit. But not noticeable from from than 1m away.

As soon as music plays, there is now a new audible ‘pop’ as if the Sub is waking up, then the electro-static noise becomes more audible from 1m away. However, the noice doesn’t increase / decrease depending on music volume, which suggests its not related to audio, but to electricity?

I’d say that the noise today connected to the 1 Sonos One is less irksome than when connected to the ARC, however, at this price point, I’d expect no noise. So I am very disappointed and will contact SONOS (though not sure who I am meant to do this, they don’t seem to make it obvious).

Latest Diagnostic # 1840729044

Userlevel 2
Badge

So if you put your ear near the subs when they are receiving data you hear nothing? Unfortunately I have a conditioned power grid as I have a recording studio, and even at a friend house the last one did the same… can’t understand.

Not that I’ve ever noticed anything outside the playing low frequency channel audio. The Subs all seem to sound fine to my ears, what is it you actually hear when they are playing then, is it a clicking sound?

I’m on my hands and knees now (as I type) listening to Dolby 5.1 audio (Netflix Movie) and I’m not noticing it? I’m about 6 inches away from the opening I have two Gen-3’s attached to a Sonos Arc and Surrounds and listening close up. When the .LFE channel is not outputting audio at quiet moments in the movie too, I just hear nothing from the Sub 🤔?

I can clearly hear the WiFi/data transmission buzzing, like an old modem

Userlevel 2
Badge

So helpful to read about other cases and share all our experiences regarding this Sub topic here. 

What about all the US or North American customers with this problem? Everything solved or did you give up? :-) 

@andrewchiu1st

@ChetBaker

@cstyow

@ghflow

Mine is also having the same irritating ratling noise. It is faint but for an overpriced product, I was expecting it to be dead silent.

Hello Andrew, if you could keep us updated on when Sonos says they are shipping out their new revised subs that would be great. I just bought a sub g3 and have the same issue. 

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding. I returned my Sub Gen 3 back in October, when I saw that the issue wasn’t fixed with the newer models. I’m not willing to spend 850€+ on a flawed product. Might buy the Sub Gen 4 when the issue is finally fixed. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@buzz 

I’m not observing this correlation personally, the noise sounds like the same any time, even when large appliances are not in use and I don’t have a air con either.

Canada is 120V.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just got an email from the escalation support team, it seems that they are able to reproduce the issue on their end as well.

“Thank you for going over the details with me today.

As this is an unexpected reproducible issue, I have met with few of our hardware and electrical engineers to review the diagnostics and videos gathered from your case. We have so far determined the issue to not be with your home electrical wiring based on the specific tickling/hissing noise level, and currently we are waiting for the one that you have already shipped back to confirm if the issue is at the hardware or software(drivers) level. 

Having stated the above, a power conditioner/filter device will not help with this issue. Please bear with us as we are currently working on investigating this abnormality. 

I will notify you via this email as soon as any updates become available in the following couple weeks.”

Excellent work from andrewchiu1st and SONOS support team.

I am holding back my purchases until we get more update from the support team. But alas, I already sold my Sub gen 2… :joy:

Andrewchiu1st, can you provide your sonos sub gen 3 hardware / version / build number so that we know which batch to avoid when buying again.  

Its great to see the support team still working hard after the 12% culled.  

Hi,

I have experienced the same issue with the Gen3 Sub, getting an electrical buzz/hum. 

I have just received my replacement, and unfortunately they have sent me a ‘Certified Refurb’ and this is also the A200 build. Hence I still have the same issue. 

When I contacted Sonos they told me replacements are issued automatically by the system and they have no bearing over which build model will be shipped. I find this hard to believe personally. 

So chances are I’m going to get a third Sub with the same issue. 

Has anyone managed to speak to an advisor at Sonos and specifically request the A202 build?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just got an email from the escalation support team, it seems that they are able to reproduce the issue on their end as well.

“Thank you for going over the details with me today.

As this is an unexpected reproducible issue, I have met with few of our hardware and electrical engineers to review the diagnostics and videos gathered from your case. We have so far determined the issue to not be with your home electrical wiring based on the specific tickling/hissing noise level, and currently we are waiting for the one that you have already shipped back to confirm if the issue is at the hardware or software(drivers) level. 

Having stated the above, a power conditioner/filter device will not help with this issue. Please bear with us as we are currently working on investigating this abnormality. 

I will notify you via this email as soon as any updates become available in the following couple weeks.”

Excellent work from andrewchiu1st and SONOS support team.

I am holding back my purchases until we get more update from the support team. But alas, I already sold my Sub gen 2… :joy:

Andrewchiu1st, can you provide your sonos sub gen 3 hardware / version / build number so that we know which batch to avoid when buying again.  

Its great to see the support team still working hard after the 12% culled.  

@brolin

Man, that’s brutal, 12%, it’s definitely a trying time now!

I have the information copied here:

Sub: Living Room
Serial Number: 54-2A-**-**-**-**:*
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 12.0.1 (build 58178090)
Hardware Version: 1.32.1.4-1.2
Series ID: A200

Same specs as you. Any chance you could share your case number with support? I have a call scheduled with them for later this week and would like to reference yours. I’m afraid they’re going to give me the runaround and try to replace it, etc. when you’ve already made actual progress into clarifying the issue. Just scheduled the call to provide more documented examples of this occurring for the team. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@TapDatApp

Of course, my case number is Case #: 018*****

It’s great that you also arranged a call with them so that we can put this under their radar!

Moderator note: Censored for privacy reasons.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m glad I found this conversation I’m also experiencing the exact same issue the noise for me is very faint but bugs me that it exists, will try calling support and at least log my issue hopefully this can be resolved at some point 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So helpful to read about other cases and share all our experiences regarding this Sub topic here. 

What about all the US or North American customers with this problem? Everything solved or did you give up? :-) 

@andrewchiu1st

@ChetBaker

@cstyow

@ghflow

Yeah I’ve pretty much given up. Went through 4 exchanges last year and the the one I ended up with still has the same problem. It was better than the other ones though, and I couldn’t hear the noise unless I place my ear very close to the opening. 

I still think Sonos’s lack of response is unacceptable. Based on your experiences seems like this problem is very wide-spread and haven’t been fixed yet. Sonos is charging 50 dollars more for the sub this year, and it refused to even acknowledge the problem.