Sonos Sub Gen 3 crackling/static sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

246 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Glad I found this thread. recently replaced my gen 2 with a gen 3 sub. was sorting out some cables near the sub and could hear this noise. looking at the posts on here not worth exchanging for another one as it sound like its a widespread issue. Has anyone with the issue found a fix or anything? thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I found this 150 days old post on Reddit describing almost exactly the same issue that at least I have with my gen3 sub. So I guess it existed in gen2 as well?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/f62m6t/does_your_sonos_sub_hum/

Hello Everyone! Like many of you, I am currently experiencing the same issue with the ‘hissing/static/humming’ noise with my black sub (Gen 3). Located in the US.

Purchased both Arc+Sub back in late Apr 2022 and received it in early May 2022. Just talked to a CS person today (5/16) and was advised that I will be sent a replacement of another A202. They mentioned that many people were experiencing the same issue when I asked but some have resolved it with the replacement (case-by-case basis).

SPECS:

Serial #: F0-F6-C1…

Version: 14.6 (Build 6822...)

Hardware Ver: 1.32.1.7-1.2

Series: A202

Sub when watching tv/movies/music: ‘hissing/humming’ sound (even with tv muted)

Sub when standby/tv off: minor ‘static’ sound + no ‘hissing/humming’ sound (doesn’t really bother me)

IMO, it does feel like a hardware/electrical issue since the ‘hissing/humming’ sound is profound when the sub is currently on. Hopefully the new replacement has no issues! (will keep this updated)

Userlevel 2
Badge

I mean… look at the “related topics” I get on my left bar:

It is a serious thing

Even simple acoustical isolation of the board could reduce this issue (we are talking about high frequency noise)

Maybe. There could also be conduction to, then radiation by the enclosure. This could be somewhat explored by temporarily blocking the ports with a high frequency absorber or with varying microphone positions. Radiated noise will tend to exit through the ports or driver membranes.

If there is electrical leakage on the board, the noise might appear as input to the amplifier. In this case the noise is emitted by the speakers. My conductive adhesive could do this, but it typically requires many years for the adhesive to become conductive. These factory fresh SUB’s are likely too young -- unless they are using a “new improved” adhesive that I have not experienced.

I can also imagine the factory introduced some sort of production change causing an issue that was not present in the development lab or early production. And, this change might not affect every unit. In this case the engineers can pull a few units from stock and not observe the issue. Years ago (before SONOS) there was a speaker driver from a well known model that started to fall apart in shipping. This was both brand new speakers and replacement parts. It took some weeks to track down, but it ultimately came down to parts assembled by a single person on the production line over a few day period many weeks prior to the failures.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi guys,

Was asking for a quick update from the escalation team and they said that they are still trying to resolve the problem.

Thank you for the check-in. As the issue is hardware related, our hardware engineering team is still working on testing and implementing a solution; however, we have not ETA at this time. 

I will notify you as soon as we have a concrete next step. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi All,

Just want to add here that I’m experiencing these crackling/hissing/static current noises as well. Going to contact Sonos support first thing next morning. Very disappointed with the Gen 3 because of this, it just started to make these weird noises this week. I made videos with the noises clearly audible and I will not accept this for a product in this premium price range. 

Bigger question is, this is starting to look like a widely spread problem for Sonos. I’m curious if they’re going to make a public statement for all of us. 

Cheers everyone. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Everyone and @andrewchiu1st ,

Just got back from the call with Sonos Netherlands, a 50 minute long one… The lady of the support team checked out my problem and asked me to send several diagnostics and audio recordings with the problem. I sent one recording and diagnostic report with the sub in standby mode and one with the sub in use. 

Now the next thing is new: Sonos is going to setup a research in the Netherlands as well, so there’s another team looking into this problem. Team Canada and Holland are now working together as “The A-Team” haha!

For now there’s no solution, it’s stil in research as we await the outcome. For everyone with a Gen 3 Sub, check if you have these issues too! The more people who get involved, the quicker this issue gets solved. For everyone with this problem ask Andrew and me for the Sonos support ticket numbers so you can be added to the list of people who are experiencing these troubles. 

For now I’m feeling a bit down by this, as this is not the experience I would like to have when spending hundred of euros on top of the line home cinema speakers. But then again, it’s good that Sonos is looking into it and I hope to hear from them soon. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@andrewchiu1st - Oh no, they are certainly offering a replacement, but it would be one they already have on hand. Not one that has been manufactured with the hardware fixes in place. I suppose each countries’ support team is handling it differently.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi All ( @andrewchiu1st  @cstyow )

Great to hear your updates, but what a hassle all of this…

Just got answered by Sonos in the Netherlands just a day after I sent the audio recordings. They stated: “The ticking/crackling is clearly audible. The problem you’re experiencing is under investigation with us right now. We hope to fix this issue with the next software update.”

Sonos in the Netherlands thinks the issue is cause by software, so they think they can probably fix it with a software update. I doubt this, so I replied: “I heard rumours about a hardware issue on the Sonos Community, but you think this is a software problem?” and “Do you have a time indication about how long this software fix is going to take and when it will be available? Also, is the Sub Gen 3 in this state safely usable and won’t it damage itself?”

I will keep you posted, but what do you think about this story?

Cheers guys!

@smaes 
I have a hard time believing that the issue is caused by the software. Because the very moment that you plug the SUB into the electrical outlet out of the box, you will be able to hear the noise. And the team in the US/CA has confirmed that this is a hardware issue that they are working on at the moment.

I’m guessing realistically this is going to take a couple of months before they can iron out the issue.

Hi All ( @andrewchiu1st  @cstyow )

Great to hear your updates, but what a hassle all of this…

Just got answered by Sonos in the Netherlands just a day after I sent the audio recordings. They stated: “The ticking/crackling is clearly audible. The problem you’re experiencing is under investigation with us right now. We hope to fix this issue with the next software update.”

Sonos in the Netherlands thinks the issue is cause by software, so they think they can probably fix it with a software update. I doubt this, so I replied: “I heard rumours about a hardware issue on the Sonos Community, but you think this is a software problem?” and “Do you have a time indication about how long this software fix is going to take and when it will be available? Also, is the Sub Gen 3 in this state safely usable and won’t it damage itself?”

I will keep you posted, but what do you think about this story?

Cheers guys!

Looking forward to your update. I am also from The Netherlands and am holding back on buying after seeing multiple of these issues on this forum and Reddit…. 

Hope a conclusive solution is found soon! 

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Krishma M Thanks for a statement finally from Sonos itself!

We got a software update this week, but this did not solve the problem. My concerns are raising again if this will be fixable with a software update. I’m also kind of surprised that the problem affects some Gen 3’s and not all. Can’t we just get a replacement unit instead of waiting for a “software fix”? Also, is there any information on a time frame for this fix?

Not very pleased at this moment since I’ve not heard a single update from Sonos Netherlands support team since I called them and sent the audio files recorded. At the end of the day I’ve bought a sub of €799 with a defect. Premium product, no premium service until now. 

Would be great to hear from you! 

Userlevel 1

Just wondering if anyone has received an update on this? I have talked to Sonos and provided audio of the issue to document it. Just wondering if there is any word on if it's something in production or indeed software? To me, I would think it's hardware since not everyone seems to have the issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had this problem and requested a replacement, the second unit had the same problem too… Sonos offered another replacement, if the unit has the same problem I think it’s either arc or sub that has systematic problems

Userlevel 1

I just got another replacement. The humming/static is still there at all times. I sent a video of the issue the first time and it was verified by Sonos to be defective. I'm hoping Sonos posts here soon with an update again. I don't want to keep swapping out for new subs until it is certain it's fixed. $700 is a lot to spend. On the upside, Sonos service has been amazing so thank you!  

recently got the arc and gen 3 sub and here is what i’ve discovered after some testing:

-when watching netflix directly through the app on the new LG smart TV or through an Apple TV box on an old Sony LED TV, there is the ticking sound described by everyone else.  Likewise when I watch youtube/amazon prime directly through the apps on the LG smart TV, I can also hear the ticking sound.  The ticking sound is audible as long as the videos are playing, even if I turn the volume all the way down.

-when watching netflix through my laptop plugged into my TV via HDMI, or when watching youtube through my iPhone via airplay, or when listening to music using the Sonos app, the ticking sound disappears .  when watching cable tv directly on my old sony LED tv, the ticking sound also disappears.  likewise, when watching an old dvd through a dvd player on my laptop, plugged into the tv (which has audio passthrough), there is no ticking sound.  There is still a slight electric buzzing sound that is audible from the sub under these scenarios, but it is steady and faint and is not the ticking sound described earlier.  

I can’t speak for everyone, but from my experience the issue seems to be how audio files are streamed. it seems more prevalent the higher the quality being streamed (atmos or 5.1, as opposed to airplay from iPhone).  can anyone else test and confirm my findings?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

recently got the arc and gen 3 sub and here is what i’ve discovered after some testing:

-when watching netflix directly through the app on the new LG smart TV or through an Apple TV box on an old Sony LED TV, there is the ticking sound described by everyone else.  Likewise when I watch youtube/amazon prime directly through the apps on the LG smart TV, I can also hear the ticking sound.  The ticking sound is audible as long as the videos are playing, even if I turn the volume all the way down.

-when watching netflix through my laptop plugged into my TV via HDMI, or when watching youtube through my iPhone via airplay, or when listening to music using the Sonos app, the ticking sound disappears .  when watching cable tv directly on my old sony LED tv, the ticking sound also disappears.  likewise, when watching an old dvd through a dvd player on my laptop, plugged into the tv (which has audio passthrough), there is no ticking sound.  There is still a slight electric buzzing sound that is audible from the sub under these scenarios, but it is steady and faint and is not the ticking sound described earlier.  

I can’t speak for everyone, but from my experience the issue seems to be how audio files are streamed. it seems more prevalent the higher the quality being streamed (atmos or 5.1, as opposed to airplay from iPhone).  can anyone else test and confirm my findings?

I pretty much observed the same phenomenon. Only that the hissing did not completely disappear when playing through Sonos app or airplay, it became much quieter but still noticeable. Also, when playing content through tv, the noise sub makes is like a tickling noise. When playing music through airplay, the noise’s frequency is much higher.

Hey all,

Just thought I’d give you an update from my end:
I got my replacement unit today and I used the option to send my old one to Sonos within 14 days = I have both at home right now.

After som testing I can conclude that they are both having the exact same problem.
One thing that I found out during testing was that it does matter what the Sub is paired to.
I tested to pair it to: Sonos One, Sonos Five, Sonos Arc and Ikea Symfonisk bookshelf.

Conclusions:
When paired to One, Five or Symfonisk - the sub has one specific crackling/hissing sound - mainly crackling. The volume of this noise is not too bad

When paired to the Arc, the Sub has a much louder, high pitch hissing noise. This I can hear from 3 meters away.

Contacted support again, sent them my findings, and their response was so send me yet another Sub.
If this 3rd Sub exhibits the same problem I will not bother accepting any more exchanges.

A Dropbox link to my recordings of the sound when paired to different speakers:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntb6uwjl08vhzyk/AAC2gHkIpnHsVgm_b7YZ7ZK6a?dl=0

Note: When I made the recordings I had music playing to the speakers, but volume muted.
That is when this problem occur. When there is nothing playing, there is just a very faint crackling which does not bother me at all.

Could anyone with an Arc confirm my findings that the problem is worse when the Sub is paired to Arc compared to any other speaker?

Userlevel 1

Received my Sub gen 3 a couple of days ago and found that it made a mains hum/crackle sound too. I spent over an hour talking to technical support and sending them videos of the problem. Eventually they agreed to send a replacement which should arrive on 23rd November. However, after reading this thread I don’t expect the replacement will be any better. I guess this is a hardware issue and won’t be resolved until they design out the flaw.

This problem seems to go back over 4 months. Why did they act like they had never heared of this issue before? This lack of quality and support is definitely not what I expected from Sonos. Do they even bother to read posts on their own forum?

Userlevel 1

Hi, to add to this thread, I’ve provided more details on the post linked below, but based on my recent conversation with a Sonos Technical Engineer in Sonos Support, I have been informed there are still ongoing issues with new Sub Gen 3 A202 units being manufactured in recent months (e.g. pop sound when the Sub amplifier powers up from standby or goes into standby) due to the ongoing manufacturing/supply chain issues. I’ve returned my Sub Gen 3 that I purchased from Sonos in July in order to obtain a refund as I’m not willing to accept a sub-standard audio experience at the high price point of the Sub. Hopefully the manufacturing quality issues will be resolved soon. 

Userlevel 1

I have this EXACT issue! What is the recommended course of action? I am in Canada. Thank you.

Should I contact support and reference Andrew's case number?

Received my first gen 3 sub today and I can confirm I have all the above issues. Probably not to the same level as some said but I can hear the creaking, crackling, as well as hard drive / fireplace flame flickering type of sounds and issues.

I’m planning on sitting with it for a few days and see how it goes before reaching out to Sonos.

Hi @Livius21 

Dear Corry P., 

after all the hassle we have gone through with this “premium HiFi product”, would you mind to give the name or number of this “latest hardware revision” that solves all our problems?

We all have heard or read so many different explanations along the last 12 months from Sonos that I would highly appreciate some proofs to rebuilt our trust!

Thank you in advance!

That would be A202.

Hi there from Germany,

btw: same “crackling”-Problem here with A202 by using Wifi-connection… have a look at my post above… annoying… Got a refurb-model as exchange-device. Sonos support here told me, the problem was resolved, but it is not. Same Problem with the refurb-sub… very disappointing…. 

I had one without the sound issue and I asked for a replacement (Original had white scratches on the piano black 5-6 cm long).

Any update on the sound? I've had my sub since Christmas and no idea why, I never noticed it before. 4-5 loud cracks happened tonight and now I can only hear this cracking/hissing sound.

I’ll try to plug it over ethernet tomorrow to diagnose the problem. But my router is in another room (40ft away), so it can’t stay wired.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Corry P., 

after all the hassle we have gone through with this “premium HiFi product”, would you mind to give the name or number of this “latest hardware revision” that solves all our problems?

We all have heard or read so many different explanations along the last 12 months from Sonos that I would highly appreciate some proofs to rebuilt our trust!

Thank you in advance!