Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Phillips oled tv

Arc in earc, gen 3 sub, rears are ones  

built in apps Disney or Netflix

Firestick max. Apps Disney Netflix prime. 

Randomly loud pop then crackles and arc looses audio. Sometimes rears still have audio.
Previous playbar in same setup never had a problem. 

This is happening to me too, Apple TV connected to LG CX77 and Sonos Arc. It happens roughly once a day.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At this point, I may have to sell my Sonos system, and just get the Sony HT-A9 sound system which I’ve been interested in.

Not able to get to anyone on technical support. My diagnostic report number for this issue is 1264212766

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Looking at the thread on the Sonos subreddit, I'm surprised to see so many users who had the bang once or twice and it went away; or who have configurations identical to ours but no problems.

Could this be just specific Arcs malfunctioning? Has anybody had their unit exchanged and the problem came back?

If this were as straightforward as "we need new units", that would blow my mind.

I had a replacement sent to me from Sonos and still the same issue. I’m keeping mine because a) it’s specific to Dolby MAT vs DD+ and b) compared to a HT-A7000 (which I tried as a possible replacement), the Sonos killed it. While disabling Atmos on my Xbox and Apple TV sucks, the bar is fantastic and has a fairly good app experience. When it works, it works.

As I’ve said before this is a Sonos hardware bug that can be recreated with the same parameters 100% of the time. 
Each time I read how we have to turn off the feature that we specifically paid for is infuriating. And the constant naysayers who are likely Sonos affiliated people is underhanded and shows what we the consumer, what kind of company we invested in.

This is a 2 year going to be 3 year issue. There is Zero excuse and Sonos is Fully aware of this issue. They have contracts with their manufacturers. This is just business. I’ve worked for large corporations in the past that release faulty hardware and software due to contracts with manufacturers and retailers.

It is far more profitable to have the likelihood of poor individuals who made the choice to plug in an Xbox Series X that DOES cause permanent damage to the Sonos Arc, rendering it completely incapable of playing Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision content concurrently from any source. 

An issue that did not appear for years prior to plugging in a Sonos Arc.

This is my 3rd Arc. I unfortunately recommended the Sonos Arc to my father who currently has zero issues because I was able to warn him not to plug in an Xbox Series X that my younger half brother has.

Something we all could have benefited from bad we been given notice. Enough with the Sonos isn’t the issue nonsense.

2 of my Arcs now have this issue. Because I like so many of you thought, this might be a singular issue. As there were two releases of the Arc, one with the more expensive packaging and then the “streamlined” “uniform” box aka cheaper packaged one.

This is NOT specific to certain Sonos Arcs. This IS an issue that occurs to ALL Sonos Arcs. Considering the far fewer sales of the Xbox Series X, this is why there hasn’t been more reports than the many that already exist for over two years now.

One final note, this issue has never happened with my PS5 playing on the Sonos Arc. Which I had over a year before I got an Xbox Series X.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Turning off Auto HDR on series X does make the pop go away . I’m happy now at least I can play Resident evil 4 with Atmos !! :)

But doesn’t that disable HDR? If so, I have a Sony OLED and I’m not disabling HDR just because Sonos insists on avoiding the elephant in the room. 

Auto HDR is only for games that are not HDR compatible such as xbox one games . Old generation games 

Ah, well in that case I already disabled that and still suffered from the popping. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have the problem since March 2022. And I tried all the things called here. All without success.

Finally I read that you should turn off trueplay and then run Dolby Atmos MAT. I wanted to try that next.

I actually wonder if this is a thing. I hadn’t had a single issue until sometime after I tuned my system using TruePlay. Doubtful, but worth a try. 

Happened to me as well on my Arc. It is reproducible for me. When I run steam in Big Picture mode and start a game, it pops.

LG G2 TV via eArc

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I don’t understand the point of NDA’ing a bug fix test, especially as the public know it exists and is happening. What’s the worst case, it doesn’t work and you’ll get bad press? That’s going to happen anyway if the fix doesn’t work… Maybe there’s some kind of proprietary info protection rolled into the same NDA, fine, but you can separate those topics in your restrictions.

I’d strongly recommend for increasing transparency and communication in a crisis than shutting it down, deleting info, and gagging people trying to help you. There are no upsides, only downsides.

Sincerely, 20-year CM/PR vet.

The best part about this is that if they had just left it alone it would have been an unverified claim by one user with not supporting evidence to back it up.  But because they felt compelled to enforce the NDA we now have an official statement and confirmation that the user was under NDA, which would seem to validate those claims. 

Just happened again.

I have had this happened twice in the last week, both whilst using my Xbo Series X, loud pop and then no sounds, switching TV to another source such as Sky brings sound back.

My diagn number is 292236251

Hi there @samro1094, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry about this issue on your Sonos system, So that we can check the status of your whole Sonos system, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue on the loud pop sound on your Sonos Arc. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

I have the same issue.  We have been using our brand new Sonos arc and sub woofer for about 6 weeks. It was installed professionally by Best Buy’s geek squad.  We watch movies once a week and listen to Apple Music. During the last week when watching a movie we hear a loud pop and the sound goes out.  I ran a diagnosis report today and sent it to Sonos to investigate the source of the problem. We were so looking forward to using this system for a family for Thanksgiving. I sure hope this can get resolved as this is very disappointing. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This just happened to me and it was scary! 
can anyone help?

Nope, Sonos dont care at all. You are on your own. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

900H owner here. Apple TV is on HDMI 2, Xbox on HDMI 4 (in VRR mode for the HDMI port so no DV). 

Arc pops with both. 

Hi @dsands75 

If you are able to produce the sound at will, then I direct you to my earlier post:

Hi Everyone

If any of you are able to reproduce one of these “popping” events more or less at will, please help us by getting in touch with our technical support team, as we’re looking for more information on this matter. It does seem to occur most often - but is definitely not limited to - when an audio stream starts/stops or changes from one to another or , e.g. going from a playing movie to a menu, rather than when something is playing uninterrupted. We need some additional testers to assist us in getting a direct recording of the feed from an affected unit, as it happens.

This is somewhat outside of our normal case handling procedures, so if/when you have a support case, please reference this thread to the agent you speak to, and ask the agent to message me, Corry P, the case details so I can get you in touch with an engineer directly.

Thank you.

I can try going back to old settings and see if the pop is reproduced, but I want assurance first that if my Sonos Arc gets bricked, I would get a replacement. I'm from India. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

no not the same i had a loud bang.  yours looks like something else

Actually, I believe it’s the same issue. It’s not uncommon for something like this to display different variations of noises. I heard the same thing as this video showed from mine when Atmos activated once I booted up Forza Horizon 5. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Presumably Sonos already knows if this is an all Arcs or some Arcs bug. But if they don’t, a more conservative start would be to send a new loaner to one, or maybe a few, users and see if it misbehaves.  

It is not a presumption. They are aware. Every post on this thread, (which is now over two years old) that features someone like yourself who has contacted the Sonos support team, and the now standard answer of “turn off Dolby Atmos” the very feature you paid over $1000 for, turn it off and that will solve the problem.

All tech companies be they hardware or software are aware of issues. Especially after it’s been over two years.

There is no doubt on this. 

Badge

You know, I can’t help but think that if it’s a known issue, ethically, Sonos should put a warning on the product page. Or maybe mention the malfunction in an FAQ.

Right now we keep having new customers that have to go through all these steps to figure out what’s even going wrong.

Quick update, I got the replacement Beam on Friday and so far so good. No pops at all as of yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

To add to that. Under video modes I have selected:

allow 50hz

allow 24hz

allow auto low latency mode

allow variable refresh rate

allow ycc 4:2:2

allow 4k

allow hdr 10

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

If you're experiencing a loud pop followed by audio loss on your Sonos Arc soundbar, it could be due to a few different factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Ensure the Sonos Arc is properly connected: Check that all cables are securely plugged into their respective ports, both on the soundbar and the TV or audio source.

2. Check the audio source: Verify that the audio source (TV, streaming device, etc.) is set to output audio to the Sonos Arc. Check the audio settings on your device and ensure it is correctly configured to send audio to the soundbar.

3. Restart the Sonos system: Power off the Sonos Arc and any other Sonos components you have, including the Sonos app. Wait a few seconds, then power them back on. This can help resolve temporary software or connectivity issues.

4. Update Sonos software: Ensure that your Sonos system is running the latest software version. Open the Sonos app on your mobile device or computer, go to Settings, and check for any available updates.

5. Reset the Sonos Arc: If the issue persists, you can try performing a factory reset on the Sonos Arc. Keep in mind that this will erase any custom settings or configurations you have made on the soundbar.

6. Contact Sonos support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Sonos customer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting guidance or determine if there may be a hardware issue with your Sonos Arc that needs to be addressed.

Remember to consult the Sonos user manual or support resources for detailed instructions specific to your model and setup.

Regards;

David Johson.

Man really? Are you a bot? Have you actually read this thread? Do you really think this post added any value to this conversation at all?

I feel it added as much value to my life as an ingrown toenail. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Pops with an Arcana? Thanks for contributing that information!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos just say something, Please! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have submitted the diagnostics from the app as suggested, thanks for that.

The only disappointing thing is I can't contact thier support within 9-17pm Monday to Friday. The chat bot assistant isn't any help and there's no ticket system. I debating selling my Sonos system and buying the Sony. Really not impressed. It's now happening more frequently. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

At my wits end.  Went the RMA route with my arc because they thought the hardware was faulty.  No problems for literally 3 weeks.  Today the loud pop returned in the same spot it normally does in the Series X (randomly when returning to the Home Screen after playing a Dolby atmos game)

Two ARCs, Three Different HDMI cables, two different devices where it happens (Series X, ATV 4K) two different TVs.  (Sony x900h, LG C1).  Same problem, 100% confident it’s software so can’t understand why the problem can’t be replicated and solved

Will phone Sonos again on Monday, diagnostic 1981635273 if anybody from Sonos cares