Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Userlevel 3

I was playing on my Xbox when the arc suddenly made an extremely loud pop sound and then lost audio completely. The app wouldn’t let me adjust the volume and Alexa wake up didn’t emit its usual tone. I had to remove the power from the arc and reapply which resumed the audio. I’m concerned that one of the speakers in the arc may have been damaged when this happened. Has anyone had this issue?

We have had no issues with the arc since purchasing it earlier this year.

Corry P 4 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

View original

1200 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi everyone, haven’t posted for about a month because I have been trying out a bunch of different configurations with my ATV / Series X / LG C1 combo.

I originally posted about how deactivating “Dolby Vision for Gaming” on the Series X cured the pop symptom that I got while returning to the Home Screen after playing a game.  This to me didn’t really make a ton of sense seeing how the audio was in a separate container than the video.  But I even went so far as reactivating DV to see if I could get the pop to come back and sure enough within a day it did.

Then I started playing with the CEC settings.  I found that on the Xbox if I completely deactivated CEC and rebooted all my hardware I didn’t get a pop regardless if I had Dolby Vision active or not.  It also explains why I don’t have the issue on my ATV as I have the device control set to off.  I have been pop free for over a month.  Full disclosure, there was a LG firmware update for the TV during this time, so there is always the chance that a bug fix from the TV was the true remedy.

It’s very plausible that Bad CEC handshakes could be the explanation why some users are now getting the pop on the PS5 which I found surprising as it doesn’t even use the Dolby MAT container.  Also could explain why some users say as soon as they got one pop….they get many pops as maybe their TV hasn’t gone through a full power cycle reboot and are still using a problem handshake.

For the user community, maybe try to deactivate device control (CEC) on their device and fully unplug all their hardware, see if they get the pop anymore.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

You know, I can’t help but think that if it’s a known issue, ethically, Sonos should put a warning on the product page. Or maybe mention the malfunction in an FAQ.

Right now we keep having new customers that have to go through all these steps to figure out what’s even going wrong.

Hi @ProfessorFrag, after many trials i IMAGE MANAGEMENT in TV and XBOX I found that if I use 4K + 120hz the pop noise happens, I’ve been playing XBOX reducing to 60hz and no issue happened for at least a couple of ours… I thing there should be some bug or something which makes a relationship between hz image output and ATMOS. Could you please try? In my case running both DV enable at 60hz and DV disable at 60hz works so far good. I tried DV disable at 120hz and failed. I could try DV at 120Hz because my TV doesn’t accept it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I get the pop on Xbox at 4K60. I always use 4K60 because Sony fibbed about 4K120 support on the 900H TV. It actually displays 4K120 input at 3840x1080, making fine elements such as text and icons blurry. At 4K60 you get full UHD resolution however. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone, haven’t posted for about a month because I have been trying out a bunch of different configurations with my ATV / Series X / LG C1 combo.

I originally posted about how deactivating “Dolby Vision for Gaming” on the Series X cured the pop symptom that I got while returning to the Home Screen after playing a game.  This to me didn’t really make a ton of sense seeing how the audio was in a separate container than the video.  But I even went so far as reactivating DV to see if I could get the pop to come back and sure enough within a day it did.

Then I started playing with the CEC settings.  I found that on the Xbox if I completely deactivated CEC and rebooted all my hardware I didn’t get a pop regardless if I had Dolby Vision active or not.  It also explains why I don’t have the issue on my ATV as I have the device control set to off.  I have been pop free for over a month.  Full disclosure, there was a LG firmware update for the TV during this time, so there is always the chance that a bug fix from the TV was the true remedy.

It’s very plausible that Bad CEC handshakes could be the explanation why some users are now getting the pop on the PS5 which I found surprising as it doesn’t even use the Dolby MAT container.  Also could explain why some users say as soon as they got one pop….they get many pops as maybe their TV hasn’t gone through a full power cycle reboot and are still using a problem handshake.

For the user community, maybe try to deactivate device control (CEC) on their device and fully unplug all their hardware, see if they get the pop anymore.

I...I think this may be it.  I mean, I don't want to jinx it, but I just listened to 3 hours of Atmos content on my Apple TV without any pop.  I've never been able to go a full episode before.  Dolby Vision and Atmos both, only disabled CEC on Apple TV.  Not super ideal but volume control works just not turning TV on and off.  If nothing else it points in a direction to look.  Please don't make me regret this post.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I have performed the following testing:

1. Unplugged Xbox from TV. Turned off both Apple TV CEC functions (on/off and volume control) in the settings. Powercycled TV, Apple TV, and Sonos Arc.
  2. I tested by playing one hour of “Hits in Spatial Audio” on Apple TV Apple Music. Once I had my first ever pop, I would reliably get a pop within 30 minutes of this playlist.
  3. After the first hour I turned on volume control CEC. After the second hour I turned on on/off CEC while leaving volume control CEC on. It has been three hours without a pop.

It is possible that somewhere in there we are looking at a permanent fix. At this point, I consider it more likely that we have a reset to “before the first pop”. I had Atmos for weeks before it popped for the first time. If CEC ties into the Arc malfunction, it also raises the question why only LPCM/Dolby MAT Atmos is affected.

When I have time I will continue testing by reconnecting the Xbox and playing with its CEC settings. @Rios hypothesis is that the Xbox is key (although we have affected users that never had an Xbox). In any event, big round of applause to @TheFlamesFan for bringing new information to the table! 👏👏👏

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have performed the following testing:

1. Unplugged Xbox from TV. Turned off both Apple TV CEC functions (on/off and volume control) in the settings. Powercycled TV, Apple TV, and Sonos Arc.
  2. I tested by playing one hour of “Hits in Spatial Audio” on Apple TV Apple Music. Once I had my first ever pop, I would reliably get a pop within 30 minutes of this playlist.
  3. After the first hour I turned on volume control CEC. After the second hour I turned on on/off CEC while leaving volume control CEC on. It has been three hours without a pop.

It is possible that somewhere in there we are looking at a permanent fix. At this point, I consider it more likely that we have a reset to “before the first pop”. I had Atmos for weeks before it popped for the first time. If CEC ties into the Arc malfunction, it also raises the question why only LPCM/Dolby MAT Atmos is affected.

When I have time I will continue testing by reconnecting the Xbox and playing with its CEC settings. @Rios hypothesis is that the Xbox is key (although we have affected users that never had an Xbox). In any event, big round of applause to @TheFlamesFan for bringing new information to the table! 👏👏👏

I ONLY turned off CEC while leaving Volume control on through HDMI (not sure exactly how that works without CEC? unless its a new eARC feature?).  I was able to go 3 hours without a pop last night.  Never before has that been possible with my Apple TV.  I will keep testing with this setup and see if/how long for a pop.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Further testing:

1. Reconnected Xbox One Series X. One hour Apple TV Music, no pop. 
  2. Turned on Atmos on the Xbox. Played one hour Xbox Disney+ Thor Love and Thunder, no pop.
  3. Played one hour Apple TV Disney+ Thor The Dark World, no pop. 

My current state is Apple TV both CEC options on, Xbox all CEC off. Atmos on both, no pops yet. If you are affected by the pop, please try the following steps:

1. Disable both CEC options on the Apple TV and disable the main CEC option for all CEC functions on Xbox.
  2. Unplug TV, Arc, Apple TV and Xbox. Plug everything back in.
  3. Enable Atmos followed by both CEC options on Apple TV followed by Atmos on Xbox. Do not enable Xbox CEC. 
  4. Report back if or when you get a pop again. 
Userlevel 1
Badge

Had this happen again today & scared the heck out of me, 4th time in as many months when I was turning off the series x, every-time this happens I feel as if it will be the one to break a speaker, so frustrating.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Further testing:

2. Turned on Atmos on the Xbox. Played one hour Xbox Disney+ Thor Love and Thunder, no pop.

My current state is Apple TV both CEC options on, Xbox all CEC off. Atmos on both, no pops yet. If you are affected by the pop, please try the following steps:

1. Disable both CEC options on the Apple TV and disable the main CEC option for all CEC functions on Xbox.
  3. Enable Atmos followed by both CEC options on Apple TV followed by Atmos on Xbox. Do not enable Xbox CEC. 

I’m about 30 mins in, no pops 👏👏👏 hopefully not just a premature celebration!

No XBSX but have a PS5 / ATV 4K (2022) / Arc / Sub / One SL and been popping for the last 1.5 years. 

haven’t switched the CEC on on my PS5 yet 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Had this happen again today & scared the heck out of me, 4th time in as many months when I was turning off the series x, every-time this happens I feel as if it will be the one to break a speaker, so frustrating.

You tried the solution just above your comment? Have tried myself and hopefully has resolved the issue :) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

You tried the solution just above your comment? Have tried myself and hopefully has resolved the issue :) 

Will do thanks for that, will update.

Another Victim here :( (from Mexico) 

The first time I experienced the (super loud/explosive) pop was when I was navigating the menu of my XBox Series S. (It was soo scary BTW,  I almost had a heart attack). 

The first thing that crossed my mind was that my 2 days brand new Sonos Arc was dead because that pop literally sounded like something exploded inside, causing physicall damage of the speakers.

I inmediatly googled the issue and found several post here and on Reddit of people having the same issue. 

I also had the problem with my Apple TV 2022 hearing weird noises/mini-pops and cuts in Apple Music when listening songs in Dolby Atmos. 

Just a moment ago I was watching The Last Of Us (first episode) in HBO Max and having a lot of mini-pops (annoying but tolerable) but in the minute 22 (when we see the infected old lady) again an extremely LOUD and horrible pop happened (I swear my soul leaved my body).  Even my dogs went crazy or scared or both.

I ended watching the episode in the native TV App and had no pops but the Sonos App showed only Dolby Digital 5.1 and no Atmos. BTW my TV is a Hisense U8G 65) . 

As described in this post, the pop only happens whith dolby Atmos content (or in the Dobly Atmos  Mode in the case of X Box Series S).

After disable Atmos in both devices the pop is gone, but of course what is the point of spending this ridicously ammount of money for a product if  you can’t use it for what was designed and marketed. Truly shocking that the recommendation of the Sonos support was turning off Dolby Atmos (a key feature) 🫠

I am honestly very dissapointed of Sonos and now I regret of buying this thing because it’s celar that the company is aware of the problem and after all this time not even a formal statement or answer has been released (and not to mention a fix for the issue). For what I see the users are the ones who are making an effort to try to solve this or at least know the cause of the problem.
I will surely going to end returning tIhe Arc to Amazon before it Kills me of a scare. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Another Victim here 😞 (from Mexico) 

The first time I experienced the (super loud/explosive) pop was when I was navigating the menu of my XBox Series S. (It was soo scary BTW,  I almost had a heart attack). 

The first thing that crossed my mind was that my 2 days brand new Sonos Arc was dead because that pop literally sounded like something exploded inside, causing physicall damage of the speakers.

I inmediatly googled the issue and found several post here and on Reddit of people having the same issue. 

I also had the problem with my Apple TV 2022 hearing weird noises/mini-pops and cuts in Apple Music when listening songs in Dolby Atmos. 

Just a moment ago I was watching The Last Of Us (first episode) in HBO Max and having a lot of mini-pops (annoying but tolerable) but in the minute 22 (when we see the infected old lady) again an extremely LOUD and horrible pop happened (I swear my soul leaved my body).  Even my dogs went crazy or scared or both.

I ended watching the episode in the native TV App and had no pops but the Sonos App showed only Dolby Digital 5.1 and no Atmos. BTW my TV is a Hisense U8G 65) . 

As described in this post, the pop only happens whith dolby Atmos content (or in the Dobly Atmos  Mode in the case of X Box Series S).

After disable Atmos in both devices the pop is gone, but of course what is the point of spending this ridicously ammount of money for a product if  you can’t use it for what was designed and marketed. Truly shocking that the recommendation of the Sonos support was turning off Dolby Atmos (a key feature) 🫠

I am honestly very dissapointed of Sonos and now I regret of buying this thing because it’s celar that the company is aware of the problem and after all this time not even a formal statement or answer has been released (and not to mention a fix for the issue). For what I see the users are the ones who are making an effort to try to solve this or at least know the cause of the problem.
I will surely going to end returning tIhe Arc to Amazon before it Kills me of a scare. 

There’s a solution posted a few posts up. Did you try it?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Further testing:

Okay so just Popped, albeit after switching things off last night and back on today.

Gone back to 5.1 

Yes, i just disabled CEC (both Apple TV and TV), and still had the Loud Pop in the HBO Max (The Last Of Us) in Atmos.

Gone back to 5.1 too 😢

Badge

You know, I can’t help but think that if it’s a known issue, ethically, Sonos should put a warning on the product page. Or maybe mention the malfunction in an FAQ.

Right now we keep having new customers that have to go through all these steps to figure out what’s even going wrong.

Quick update, I got the replacement Beam on Friday and so far so good. No pops at all as of yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Yes, i just disabled CEC (both Apple TV and TV), and still had the Loud Pop in the HBO Max (The Last Of Us) in Atmos.

Gone back to 5.1 too 😢

Did you fully reboot your TV and devices after disabling CEC?  This is important as CEC settings seem to hang around as the TV never acutally gets turned off….it only turns off the screen

Userlevel 3
Badge

Gone back to 5.1 too 😢

Did you fully reboot your TV and devices after disabling CEC?  This is important as CEC settings seem to hang around as the TV never acutally gets turned off….it only turns off the screen

Fully

Userlevel 3
Badge

Gone back to 5.1 too 😢

Turned off everything fully

Userlevel 1
Badge

Gone back to 5.1 too 😢

Just so I’m clear, CEC was disabled on the Apple TV 4K and Xbox Series X (the two devices that I’m affected by) as well as the TV? A lot of tests say 3 hours, which is a decent amount of time, but has anyone tested for a longer period of time? While disabling Atmos in both devices is annoying, I haven’t really missed it as I’ve been watching my Atmos content directly from webOS and it really hasn’t affected me in any meaningful way!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I only disabled CEC on my Xbox, which is where I initially heard the pop. No issues as of yet and it’s been about a month. I didn’t disable CEC on my Apple TV and so far, including Last of Us, no pops. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  1. I disabled CEC on Apple TV and Xbox but left it on on the (Sony 900H) TV so that I could control Arc volume. 

2. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in after a bit. 

3. I turned back on Apple TV CEC, followed by Apple TV Atmos, followed by Xbox Atmos. I left Xbox CEC off. 

No pop in the last four days, including both Apple TV and Xbox usage. It sucks not having Xbox CEC (used to be that I didn’t need the TV remote at all), but it’s a price I’m willing to pay and I don’t want to risk the pop coming back after the bad times over the last two years. I’m really hoping that Sonos is paying attention and eventually giving everybody an official statement on the cause and resolution of the pop. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
  1. I disabled CEC on Apple TV and Xbox but left it on on the (Sony 900H) TV so that I could control Arc volume. 

3. I turned back on Apple TV CEC, followed by Apple TV Atmos, followed by Xbox Atmos. I left Xbox CEC off. 

No pop in the last four days, including both Apple TV and Xbox usage. It sucks not having Xbox CEC (used to be that I didn’t need the TV remote at all), but it’s a price I’m willing to pay and I don’t want to risk the pop coming back after the bad times over the last two years. I’m really hoping that Sonos is paying attention and eventually giving everybody an official statement on the cause and resolution of the pop. 

Does it matter if I unplug the TV from behind the TV vs unplugging it at the wall receptacle? It seems like I loose certain TV settings and Bravia Sync settings when unplugging from the back of the TV. I may be loosing my mind but it seems different. Thanks as always. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It does not. Unplugging is unplugging. That’s a purely physical layer move. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

When you say ‘unplugged everything’ does that include the HDMI cables and if so, any particular order when plugging everything back in? HDMI then Power? Or Power then HDMI? Thanks everyone for the testing and tips!