Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Corry P 

But honestly, how long should we wait now? The problem has existed for several years now and what does sonos expect? We were never really able to use Dolby Atmos and most of them bought the device for exactly that reason.

Hi, I have had the same issue occurred twice now. Xbox Series X and an Arc. very loud pop then no sound. Connected to LG CX TV with eARC back to the arc. Cables not loose.

Report #1731740023

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

So I ran into the issue twice more over the weekend (one from ATV and one from Xbox) and I noticed a pattern starting to emerge.  I have the issue occur in bunches and then after a hard reset of the Sonos system it goes away for a month or two with no other resets in between

I am wondering if the working software isn’t experiencing some sort of memory leak as after a reboot it’s rock solid for weeks on end and then happens two and three times in a single evening

Sonos just say something, Please! 

There was a response from Sonos Staff here on this issue…

Presumably there’s nothing further to report at this stage, other than Sonos appear to be aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem and the matter is being investigated. The suggestion is to ‘perhaps’ switch off Atmos audio, just for the time being, until further information is forthcoming.

Not ideal, but hope that assists for now at least.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Welcome to our not-so-small club @uahero . I’m sorry to hear you are affected. I encourage you to get a case ID from Sonos tech support just to be put on the radar. If the tech makes you do big time trouble shooting, e.g. “factory reset” or “buy new cables”, I would probably not play along. 

The following solutions each work for some posters. None of them seem to be a universal fix:

1. Turn off Dolby Vision.
  2. Turn off CEC.
  3. Turn off Trueplay. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Everyone

If any of you are able to reproduce one of these “popping” events more or less at will, please help us by getting in touch with our technical support team, as we’re looking for more information on this matter. It does seem to occur most often - but is definitely not limited to - when an audio stream starts/stops or changes from one to another or , e.g. going from a playing movie to a menu, rather than when something is playing uninterrupted. We need some additional testers to assist us in getting a direct recording of the feed from an affected unit, as it happens.

This is somewhat outside of our normal case handling procedures, so if/when you have a support case, please reference this thread to the agent you speak to, and ask the agent to message me, Corry P, the case details so I can get you in touch with an engineer directly.

Thank you.

THANK YOU for stepping up to the plate and reaching out to help find a solution!  This is more of the level of customer service I expect as a LONG time Sonos customer.  As others have mentioned, around 30 minutes always seemed to be the trigger for me.  The other “guaranteed” method for me is if I have an Atmos video playing on Apple TV and pause it and let it go to the screensaver, that seemed to always trigger a pop after being on screensaver for 5-10 minutes.  I will now look to see if I can find the fastest method to generate this pop so we can hopefully find a resolution for this longstanding bug!

Interesting about the screensaver thing — I’ve been wondering about this myself for a while.  I’ve been curious if it’s been something to do with the source change triggered on the screensaver activation 🤔 

Same issue here. Apple TV 4K and Sony X90CH. 2 calls to Sonos support and 1 to Apple with no resolution. Guess it’s disabling atmos content for now…

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Turning off Auto HDR on series X does make the pop go away . I’m happy now at least I can play Resident evil 4 with Atmos !! :)

But doesn’t that disable HDR? If so, I have a Sony OLED and I’m not disabling HDR just because Sonos insists on avoiding the elephant in the room. 

Auto HDR is only for games that are not HDR compatible such as xbox one games . Old generation games 

Ah, well in that case I already disabled that and still suffered from the popping. 

Are you using Dolby vision?  Do you get popping only when you return to the Home Screen or is it in game?

I’ve been reading a lot of troubleshooting articles these last months, and there seems to be a pattern.

I have not experienced this “loud pop” described by many users in this thread, but there seems be some sort of mismatch between specific types of gear when you are trying to send Dolby Atmos signals through a TV to the Sonos Arc.

The issue: huge delay between what happens on-screen and Dolby Atmos audio, at least 500 ms.

My chain: Xbox Series X > Samsung Q90t > (eARC) > Sonos Arc + Sub/2x Sonos Ones.

Passthrough is enabled on every device that supports it. Every device is kept up to date. Both cables are 2.1 certified. New Asus router/no network issues.

Sonos support has checked my diagnostic report (no errors), Samsung support has updated my HDMI-ports (they said this was a known error, but the update did not fix anything). Xbox support is notoriously difficult to reach (actually not possible right now).

My question to Sonos would be: how am I supposed to know which device is the culprit? Surely there must be some type of collaboration between these huge, global suppliers (Sonos, Samsung and Microsoft) to iron out bugs and making things play nice? Or? This is really frustrating, I can’t tell what device is causing trouble, but at the same time I have a right to expect that when something boasts “Dolby Atmos”, then I get just that. All these devices support it, but none of the suppliers will ever point to the one of the others and say “they are the cause”, because that would reflect poorly back on them for not adressing this up front.

Many examples, yet not one of them matches the behavior described by this thread? I need at least one valid example of another manufacturer’s product producing this same issue before I can be convinced.

It sure would be nice if every company could afford 24/7 CS. Most can’t, so I appreciate it where I find it. 

I suppose Sonos could double the cost of all of their equipment in order to run CS all the time?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

It sounds like a fuse popping (very loudly). I think its electrical, probably a power surge.

Not sure where the issue originates but the commonality of people using Xbox consoles is hard to ignore. My TV, Xbox, Arc and and a few other components are all on the same powerbar.  I would be interested to know if other people are also using the same powerbar / circuit? 

Surely somebody at Sonos HQ has replicated this issue by now? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Has anyone experienced with this issue with Fire TV Cube (specifically the latest version, though I’m curious if anyone with any generation cube has experienced this)? I ask because I’m considering swapping my Apple TV 4K for a Fire TV Cube and would like to enable Dolby Atmos on the device without have to worry about the sudden pop/fault amp errors! As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, I’ve had to disable Dolby Atmos on my Xbox Series and Apple TV 4K currently to ensure no popping. Dolby Atmos content coming from the LG C2 directly (i.e. apps running on webOS) have experienced ZERO popping sounds.

So long as the Fire TV doesn't use the MAT container, you’ll be fine.  Test would be to briefly enable Atmos on the Fire TV, initiate playback of Atmos content and see if the Line In for the Arc shows as just “Dolby Atmos” (not “Dolby Atmos (DD+)” or “Dolby Atmos (TrueHD)”) under Settings > About My System

If it’s just “Dolby Atmos”, quit out and disable Atmos on the Fire TV, as it’s Dolby MAT.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Turning off Auto HDR on series X does make the pop go away . I’m happy now at least I can play Resident evil 4 with Atmos !! :)

But doesn’t that disable HDR? If so, I have a Sony OLED and I’m not disabling HDR just because Sonos insists on avoiding the elephant in the room. 

Auto HDR is only for games that are not HDR compatible such as xbox one games . Old generation games 

Ah, well in that case I already disabled that and still suffered from the popping. 

Are you using Dolby vision?  Do you get popping only when you return to the Home Screen or is it in game?

I get popping only in the game , and I don’t use Dolby vision for gaming as my Sony Oled don’t support Dolby vision plus VRR mode

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Everyone

If any of you are able to reproduce one of these “popping” events more or less at will, please help us by getting in touch with our technical support team, as we’re looking for more information on this matter. It does seem to occur most often - but is definitely not limited to - when an audio stream starts/stops or changes from one to another or , e.g. going from a playing movie to a menu, rather than when something is playing uninterrupted. We need some additional testers to assist us in getting a direct recording of the feed from an affected unit, as it happens.

This is somewhat outside of our normal case handling procedures, so if/when you have a support case, please reference this thread to the agent you speak to, and ask the agent to message me, Corry P, the case details so I can get you in touch with an engineer directly.

Thank you.

THANK YOU for stepping up to the plate and reaching out to help find a solution!  This is more of the level of customer service I expect as a LONG time Sonos customer.  As others have mentioned, around 30 minutes always seemed to be the trigger for me.  The other “guaranteed” method for me is if I have an Atmos video playing on Apple TV and pause it and let it go to the screensaver, that seemed to always trigger a pop after being on screensaver for 5-10 minutes.  I will now look to see if I can find the fastest method to generate this pop so we can hopefully find a resolution for this longstanding bug!

Interesting about the screensaver thing — I’ve been wondering about this myself for a while.  I’ve been curious if it’s been something to do with the source change triggered on the screensaver activation 🤔 

I would be interested if the Apple TV is changing dynamic range during this time.  Maybe you mentioned it before but what are your video settings?  4K sdr or Dolby vision?

Userlevel 1

Just forget it, just happened again!!!

But now this time I changed in SONOS APP from COMPRESSED AUDIO AUTO to UNCOMPRESSED AUDIO and finally is working great. No pop sound and ATMOS working great. And actually makes sense because my tv is configured for uncompressed audio output. That AUTO function from SONOS APP may not be working as expected.

Sounds promising! And you don’t get the pops anymore when playing DV+DA content from Xbox?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Everyone

Thank you.

I would be interested if the Apple TV is changing dynamic range during this time.  Maybe you mentioned it before but what are your video settings?  4K sdr or Dolby vision?

Previously, I was using 4K60 DV with both content match options enabled. I'm now on 4K60 HDR with both options still enabled. Currently rocking without Atmos for a whileC see if I still experience static pops and similar when flicking between content sources (like Netflix’s auto-playing trailers).

I did try it for a day, and got through three movies as above without fail, but then, it might've just been a good day. You're welcome to mirror and let me know your experience. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Nevermind it popped again after 15 mins playing resident evil. Maybe need to check and then uncheck auto hdr then restart console to make it work each time 

Long time Sonos user here. I recently upgraded my living room tv and surround sound to this combo:

LG G2, Arc, Sub Mini and Era 300’s. I have the most recent Apple TV4k that does all of the streaming for me, with the exception of Netflix (I use the LG’s webOS because Apple TV won’t do Dolby Vision or Atmos with Netflix). Anyway, I have been getting popping, creaking noises from the Arc since I upgraded.  At first I thought it was the TV getting warmed up, my last TV would do that until it was at full operating temperature.  I get the popping noise even when no Atmos content is playing. The Apple TV screen saver is active with no music playing and I still get cracks, pops and a creaking noise. About 30 minutes ago I turned Dolby Atmos off in the ATV settings and I’m still getting cracks, pops and a creaking noise.  Even with the ATV completely powered off, while watching cable tv, the popping noises are still happening.

This is unacceptable. I have spent a lot of my hard earned money with Sonos. Does anybody have any recommendations for an Atmos capable sound bar, sub and rears that plays nicely with Apple TV?

I’m having the same issues with the loud pops. I’m using the Xbox Series X plugged in eArc of a Sony X900H. Strange that issue has been going on for 8 months and its still not resolved yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Everyone

Thank you.

Previously, I was using 4K60 DV with both content match options enabled. I'm now on 4K60 HDR with both options still enabled. Currently rocking without Atmos for a whileC see if I still experience static pops and similar when flicking between content sources (like Netflix’s auto-playing trailers).

I did try it for a day, and got through three movies as above without fail, but then, it might've just been a good day. You're welcome to mirror and let me know your experience. 

My Apple TV is on 4K SDR 4:4:4 with dynamic range and frame rate matching, and I haven’t had issues.  Sounds to me it’s only a issue when systems are trying to force DV as was the case with my Series X

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Looking at the thread on the Sonos subreddit, I'm surprised to see so many users who had the bang once or twice and it went away; or who have configurations identical to ours but no problems.

Could this be just specific Arcs malfunctioning? Has anybody had their unit exchanged and the problem came back?

If this were as straightforward as "we need new units", that would blow my mind.

I had a replacement sent to me from Sonos and still the same issue. I’m keeping mine because a) it’s specific to Dolby MAT vs DD+ and b) compared to a HT-A7000 (which I tried as a possible replacement), the Sonos killed it. While disabling Atmos on my Xbox and Apple TV sucks, the bar is fantastic and has a fairly good app experience. When it works, it works.

As I’ve said before this is a Sonos hardware bug that can be recreated with the same parameters 100% of the time. 
Each time I read how we have to turn off the feature that we specifically paid for is infuriating. And the constant naysayers who are likely Sonos affiliated people is underhanded and shows what we the consumer, what kind of company we invested in.

This is a 2 year going to be 3 year issue. There is Zero excuse and Sonos is Fully aware of this issue. They have contracts with their manufacturers. This is just business. I’ve worked for large corporations in the past that release faulty hardware and software due to contracts with manufacturers and retailers.

It is far more profitable to have the likelihood of poor individuals who made the choice to plug in an Xbox Series X that DOES cause permanent damage to the Sonos Arc, rendering it completely incapable of playing Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision content concurrently from any source. 

An issue that did not appear for years prior to plugging in a Sonos Arc.

This is my 3rd Arc. I unfortunately recommended the Sonos Arc to my father who currently has zero issues because I was able to warn him not to plug in an Xbox Series X that my younger half brother has.

Something we all could have benefited from bad we been given notice. Enough with the Sonos isn’t the issue nonsense.

2 of my Arcs now have this issue. Because I like so many of you thought, this might be a singular issue. As there were two releases of the Arc, one with the more expensive packaging and then the “streamlined” “uniform” box aka cheaper packaged one.

This is NOT specific to certain Sonos Arcs. This IS an issue that occurs to ALL Sonos Arcs. Considering the far fewer sales of the Xbox Series X, this is why there hasn’t been more reports than the many that already exist for over two years now.

One final note, this issue has never happened with my PS5 playing on the Sonos Arc. Which I had over a year before I got an Xbox Series X.

I still argue against your theory regarding XSX but something did change.

As I’ve said before, like you, I had period where the Arc worked fine with Atmos.  Since I purchased in Dec 2020, up until around September 2021, I had no issues.  Again, during this time, the Bravia X90H line, and Apple TV, and the Sonos Arc all had major OS updates.  One of which most certainly introduced the issue.  No change in my hardware configuration, no connected devices or cables changed or swapped.  Just one day… BANG.

I’d be interested to know if you purchased an XSX around September/October 2021.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Long time Sonos user here. I recently upgraded my living room tv and surround sound to this combo:

LG G2, Arc, Sub Mini and Era 300’s. I have the most recent Apple TV4k that does all of the streaming for me, with the exception of Netflix (I use the LG’s webOS because Apple TV won’t do Dolby Vision or Atmos with Netflix). Anyway, I have been getting popping, creaking noises from the Arc since I upgraded.  At first I thought it was the TV getting warmed up, my last TV would do that until it was at full operating temperature.  I get the popping noise even when no Atmos content is playing. The Apple TV screen saver is active with no music playing and I still get cracks, pops and a creaking noise. About 30 minutes ago I turned Dolby Atmos off in the ATV settings and I’m still getting cracks, pops and a creaking noise.  Even with the ATV completely powered off, while watching cable tv, the popping noises are still happening.

This is unacceptable. I have spent a lot of my hard earned money with Sonos. Does anybody have any recommendations for an Atmos capable sound bar, sub and rears that plays nicely with Apple TV?

You shouldn’t be getting pops or creaks with the ATV powered completely off.  This sounds like a defective unit rather than the specific “popping” issue that’s being discussed in this thread.

Honestly, I would do some more troubleshooting and pursue a warranty replacement before ditching the entire system. 

I’ll look into getting a warranty replacement after I get video evidence of the noise with the ATV unplugged. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I played Apple Music for more than an hour (atmos) for nearly 2 hrs now. No issue.

I’m rooting for you! Maybe you’ll be one bang and done.