Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Beyond thrilled to receive the new Sonos Arc. True played my room and I have loudness on as well connected to LG B8 using Tidal and Spotify. Most of the sound range is phenomenal, aside from the bass. At even half volume the woofers are extremely muddy and sound terrible. Not sure if this is because I have under two hours of use but I wasn’t expecting to have to break-in the speaker. I own set of speakers next to it in the same room (KEF LS50W) and the difference is night and day. There have also been posts on Reddit regarding this issue. It is interesting given no reviewers have mentioned this issue but more than a few recipients have. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Turning loudness off helps but it is disappointing for such a highly anticipated product. 

icon

Best answer by Scott - Sonos 3 July 2020, 01:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

seriously? this video….. again?

Badge

I’ve made this thread into a drinking game. Every time that same video appears you take a drink. Harsh midrange? Drink. S2? You know it. The only thing you can’t drink for is muddy bass, the thread topic.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve made this thread into a drinking game. Every time that same video appears you take a drink. Harsh midrange? Drink. S2? You know it. The only thing you can’t drink for is muddy bass, the thread topic.

I love this. It’s almost like people cant stick to the topic at hand

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

You’re gonna blackout when Ryan posts that the update is released lol 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This is pretty serious, and it shows the obvious issue in the ARC. I’m still keeping my ARC turned off, until their is software repair. I don’t want to take a chance in blowing my expensive speaker.

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is pretty serious, and it shows the obvious issue in the ARC. I’m still keeping my ARC turned off, until their is software repair. I don’t want to take a chance in blowing my expensive speaker.

Drink

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I wanted to post Peter’s comprehensive review on the ARC, I thought everyone should check it out.

Userlevel 1

On a more serious note, Ryan, do you have an update to the software fix prior to heading into the weekend? 

Badge +1

Grow up. The software is doing this to protect the speaker

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Drink

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

On a more serious note, Ryan, do you have an update to the software fix prior to heading into the weekend? 

Hi @Clark2j2, no major change since the last update. We expect the software release to be implemented as early as next week.

Okay so I thought I didn't have this issue but it looks like I do I just played a 40hz test tone song by Bass Junkie through Spotify and once the volume gets louder the bass wobbles

Same here. Not happening with the Sub active, but without the Sub the test 40Hz sound wobbles on the Arc at over 50% volume and is completely cut (almost no sound) over 75% or so.

Didn’t notice a problem before as the setup has the Sub active all the time, but can see how it can be a deal-breaker for somebody using it without the Sub. I should probably wait for the fix rather than torment myself with additional tests, though. :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Just added a Sub (gen 2) yesterday and haven’t heard the bass issue since. Now it just sounds as awesome as I was hoping it would in the first place. Obviously the underlying issue is still there and Sonos definitely needs to fix it, but with the Sub added I can’t hear the problem at all. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Check your emails everyone..

Userlevel 2
Badge

Check your emails everyone..

I haven’t received anything. Can you paste the text?

Userlevel 2
Badge

So what does the email say? I’m not a beta user and only have 7 days left to return this thing.. do you guys think the update will be a guaranteed fix? Or should I return this and grab a Playbar from Costco? I really want the arc to work as advertised because it looks so nice!

Userlevel 2
Badge

So what does the email say? I’m not a beta user and only have 7 days left to return this thing.. do you guys think the update will be a guaranteed fix? Or should I return this and grab a Playbar from Costco? I really want the arc to work as advertised because it looks so nice!

Details are on Reddit. Sonos is asking beta testers to test the software update. 

Interesting. Does Sonos not require you agree to an NDA when you join a beta? It was a requirement when I would set them up for various game software betas. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Reading between the lines I’d say that the update has remedied the problem implying that it is a software/firmware issue. But that pure conjecture on my part since I don’t have the Beta update.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The bass issue has not been fixed by the beta update. Pity. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Were there any updates inside the beta app?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Agreed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Have you been involved in the testing, or are you basing your comments on the Reddit and other discussions? Most of what I saw on Reddit suggests the fix does work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As a beta tester I have performed all the actions required of me. 
I really hope this gets sorted out soon before people are forced to send their units back. 
I think that if there is no resolution by the end of this week people will have no choice due to various return timescales. 
Like most I just want my new Arc to blow me away. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

As a beta tester I have performed all the actions required of me. 
I really hope this gets sorted out soon before people are forced to send their units back. 
I think that if there is no resolution by the end of this week people will have no choice due to various return timescales. 
Like most I just want my new Arc to blow me away. 

Thanks for the update AndyWUK. Good to hear 1st hand from someone involved in the testing.