Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Beyond thrilled to receive the new Sonos Arc. True played my room and I have loudness on as well connected to LG B8 using Tidal and Spotify. Most of the sound range is phenomenal, aside from the bass. At even half volume the woofers are extremely muddy and sound terrible. Not sure if this is because I have under two hours of use but I wasn’t expecting to have to break-in the speaker. I own set of speakers next to it in the same room (KEF LS50W) and the difference is night and day. There have also been posts on Reddit regarding this issue. It is interesting given no reviewers have mentioned this issue but more than a few recipients have. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Turning loudness off helps but it is disappointing for such a highly anticipated product. 

icon

Best answer by Scott - Sonos 3 July 2020, 01:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

I hate to say it but Sonos isn’t exuding confidence here. “Looks to be software”. “Team is still investigating”. Doesn’t sound like they really know what’s happening and we’re not close to a fix. I’m not thrilled using a brand new, much anticipated, $800 product that needs a software update to sound good. I’m going to be contacting support for an RMA number and will send mine back. I can’t shake the -what did I pay all this money for- feeling. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

You’re mentioning the audio team. So that means that there is actually a hardware dependent variance in our speakers which needs to be adressed with a slightly different sound tuning? We are not talking about a failed update or a wrong firmware being used?

Do you mean the team that’s investigating? That would be the audio software team. At the most basic level, make the software that tells the speakers what sounds to produce, and they do a whole lot more. Though there are other teams involved too to various degrees. I know in threads like this on these sorts of topics the conversation can get out of control with speculation, so let’s try to taper that down where we can. The right teams are investigating this already and we’ll let you know as soon as there’s a resolution or more details to share.

@Ryan S Can you confirm this is a software issue? You originally said it was but now your response only says your team is working on a software fix. 

I think most of us are willing to wait for this fix if we have confidence this isn’t hardware related but with the big price tag and limited time to return, we need to know ASAP. Thanks 

While it’s under investigation, I’m hesitant to say it’s anything specific. This looks to be software related, but let’s give the team some time to work on this and if I can share more with you later, I will. 

How much time are we talking? This week, next, or a month from now? I understand they’re working on it but this is insane given the price of the ARC. 
Purchased from Best Buy, and quickly closing in on the return period. 

Believe me, we are not gonna get much. Only thing we can do is WAIT. I feel bad for those with shorter return window.  

You’re mentioning the audio team. So that means that there is actually a hardware dependent variance in our speakers which needs to be adressed with a slightly different sound tuning? We are not talking about a failed update or a wrong firmware being used?

Do you mean the team that’s investigating? That would be the audio software team. At the most basic level, make the software that tells the speakers what sounds to produce, and they do a whole lot more. Though there are other teams involved too to various degrees. I know in threads like this on these sorts of topics the conversation can get out of control with speculation, so let’s try to taper that down where we can. The right teams are investigating this already and we’ll let you know as soon as there’s a resolution or more details to share.

@Ryan S Can you confirm this is a software issue? You originally said it was but now your response only says your team is working on a software fix. 

I think most of us are willing to wait for this fix if we have confidence this isn’t hardware related but with the big price tag and limited time to return, we need to know ASAP. Thanks 

While it’s under investigation, I’m hesitant to say it’s anything specific. This looks to be software related, but let’s give the team some time to work on this and if I can share more with you later, I will. 

How much time are we talking? This week, next, or a month from now? I understand they’re working on it but this is insane given the price of the ARC. 

Believe me, we are not gonna get much. Only thing we can do is WAIT. I feel bad for those with shorter return window.  

We don’t just have to wait. We can flood them with returns! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can I get some clarity on this issue, sorry didn’t read the entire thread. Is the issue occurring with tv’s that have ARC port or eARC or both? Have people tried using a different HDMI cable to eliminate the possibility of a faulty one in the box? If this issue is so wide spread how was something like this missed during engineering/software testing before being put into production? Are the units not tested across all volume ranges with multiple tv’s or avr’s to test for issues and compatibility? I don’t mean to be an ass but I am a dev and if I release something to production without testing that it doesn’t break other things I would be getting chewed out. My unit hasn’t arrived yet but this issue would be a deal breaker. I am somewhat an audiophile and this would drive me nuts so confidence for now is pretty low.

Thanks!

Could someone please answer? Also IF this is a hardware issue and the drivers cannot handle higher volumes and lower frequencies then no amount of software patching will help. It’ll be just masking the issue. So if you’re getting close to your return window it may be a good idea to do it but to each their own.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

While it’s under investigation, I’m hesitant to say it’s anything specific. This looks to be software caused, but let’s give the team some time to work on this and if I can share more with you later, I will. 

Ryan said they were working on a software fix. Now he said-  “Last I heard on Friday it was still under investigation. Until there’s a clear identification on what the cause is, any on a resolution timeline would be a guess, and probably unreliable.”

If the team is still doing root cause analysis, how did they start working on a fix last week? What am i missing here?

I don’t even know what to say. This whole thing is a debacle. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I understand the frustration from everyone, trust me, I’m there too. 

It’s a new product with raving reviews.  Clearly something changed since the reviews were done to the public release and that change likely isn’t hardware, but a software change.  

Before we start spreading word of panic, let’s just give Sonos a few more days and allow them to work on the issue and provide us updates.  Let’s not try to pick apart words in an update we’re being provided.  

Everyone can choose to handle their Arc individually but my decision is to wait for Sonos to release the update and see if it truly resolves the problem.  If it does, great!  If it doesn’t, then the other option is clear. 

I have faith that Sonos will fix this and fix it quickly.  It’s hard to ask for patience when you spend this much on a product but unfortunately we all have to be patient for the update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Can I get some clarity on this issue, sorry didn’t read the entire thread. Is the issue occurring with tv’s that have ARC port or eARC or both? Have people tried using a different HDMI cable to eliminate the possibility of a faulty one in the box? If this issue is so wide spread how was something like this missed during engineering/software testing before being put into production? Are the units not tested across all volume ranges with multiple tv’s or avr’s to test for issues and compatibility? I don’t mean to be an ass but I am a dev and if I release something to production without testing that it doesn’t break other things I would be getting chewed out. My unit hasn’t arrived yet but this issue would be a deal breaker. I am somewhat an audiophile and this would drive me nuts so confidence for now is pretty low.

Thanks!

Could someone please answer? Also IF this is a hardware issue and the drivers cannot handle higher volumes and lower frequencies then no amount of software patching will help. It’ll be just masking the issue. So if you’re getting close to your return window it may be a good idea to do it but to each their own.

Thanks!

We all have the same questions and haven’t got any answers. You are right. I am Engineer too, and I still can not believe this kind of issue just slipped through all the testing. This does not speak well about the company’s design cycle. Especially when they advertise so much about working with filmmakers and music directors.

While it’s under investigation, I’m hesitant to say it’s anything specific. This looks to be software caused, but let’s give the team some time to work on this and if I can share more with you later, I will. 

Ryan said they were working on a software fix. Now he said-  “Last I heard on Friday it was still under investigation. Until there’s a clear identification on what the cause is, any on a resolution timeline would be a guess, and probably unreliable.”

If the team is still doing root cause analysis, how did they start working on a fix last week? What am i missing here?

Exactly…. Last week this is what Ryan said… “The engineering team is looking into this right now and they’ve been able to reproduce it using your feedback. They’re working on a software fix for it now.”

Today it’s still under investigation? I guess the fix they were working on last week didn’t pan out?

Sonos’ tune is changing yet the Arc is still out of tune.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m not returning it, because if it is the hardware, Sonos has to replace or fix the unit under waranty.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m not returning it, because if it is the hardware, Sonos has to replace or fix the unit under waranty.

If it is hardware while warranty would surely apply it would take an extremely long time. They would have to change the drivers, test them to make sure they work across multiple volume levels and frequencies at which point your unit is no longer new but refurbished. It should not cost $799 but $599 at most. If you’re shelling out that type of money you’re expecting to get your moneys worth. You can get a bar and sub with atmos from say LG for this type of money. AND if they have to develop a new driver entirely then the product has to get pulled all together. I shouldn’t have to purchase a sub for a unit that costs $799 and supposed to work as advertised.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey guys, sorry if I’ve been confusing on statuses, this is one of the reasons why we generally don’t give much in the way of details. The team is investigating what went wrong and how. They’re also working on a solution. Since they’ve been able to recreate it, they know what the symptoms are and how to fix them. But as those of you who know about this sort of process, a lot goes into it.

All indications are that there’s a software fix coming for this as soon as the team can get it ready, tested, and out the door. This is one of their top priorities, as I mentioned before. We don’t have a timeline to share right now, but if I have one I’ll let you know. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm starting to believe it to be a software issue as some music/movies sound excellent through the sound range and some sound bad.  I'm to wait to see if it can be fixed as in uk we get 100 days from sonos.  I trust sonos to either fix the software or the soundbar under warranty if needs be.

I'm going to get the sub too but will just order it when they are back in stock.

I have returned my wall mount though as it looks like I will be needing a new tv and don't want to mount it then have to move it again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I understand the frustration from everyone, trust me, I’m there too. 

It’s a new product with raving reviews.  Clearly something changed since the reviews were done to the public release and that change likely isn’t hardware, but a software change.  

Before we start spreading word of panic, let’s just give Sonos a few more days and allow them to work on the issue and provide us updates.  Let’s not try to pick apart words in an update we’re being provided.  

Everyone can choose to handle their Arc individually but my decision is to wait for Sonos to release the update and see if it truly resolves the problem.  If it does, great!  If it doesn’t, then the other option is clear. 

I have faith that Sonos will fix this and fix it quickly.  It’s hard to ask for patience when you spend this much on a product but unfortunately we all have to be patient for the update.

I find this but strange. I cannot find one of the reviewers referencing this issue or posting an update on it. If this issue were as significant as we all think it is, then why are the reviewers not turning to it? I think maybe they simply didn’t see that occasional blip as an issue, or they simply didn’t come across it - which may indicate how detailed their reviews really are  

I would be interested to reach out to them and ask them if their units now have this issue, or whether the simply did not consider it a pervasive enough issue to impact their review. 

Still. Personally I am a long way off from retuning, but then I bought from Sonos and so my 100 day window gives me thst flexibility. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 2
Badge

if y'all are so upset and think this is unacceptable, then return it. period. mistakes happen, if you stretched your budget so thin buying a luxury item you probably didn't need to get it anyways. this thing has been out for 5 days. give them some time and they will fix it. check back in a month and buy it again, easy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sorry @Ryan S , it was not my intention to start anything that might leave room for speculation about the root cause of this.

To all others posting here:
I have myself been in a situation where a just released product of my team did not perform as expected. It did pass the tests because the issue did only occur in the field. The process of resolving such issues is very tedious. First step is to reproduce it, which is often quite hard so we should be greatful that we are that far already. The second step is much harder though, a small group of people - the few software experts who make the excellent performance of Sonos possible - must resolve the issue under the highest pressure you can imagine. It is the time when numerous people who have no idea about the problem (like us, product managers, etc) start to ask you how far you are and try to give you tips which actually are all total nonsense, but you have to prove them they are wrong. Any time you - as a developer - say anything about “I have fixed it”, someone is going to ask you to release it asap. What would happen then is that the actual issue is gone, but you created 5 others, which you just don’t have any knowledge of yet. So of course they are taking the time they need and that is the sign of professional work. If they fixed this sound within a day I’d be very surprised about how Sonos creates the almost identical sound on all of their speakers. We pay the premium price because of what we get here, and what others don’t deliver.

So, let’s give them the time they need. The fix has to be created, and carefully tested.
As far as I am concerned I think we are customers of one of the most consumer friendly tech companies. Many other companies would probably simply ignore this issue until some really big news pages cover it. I have not seen any note of this issue outside reddit and this forum, and still they are working hard to solve the issue.

I wrote this because think it would be a bad idea to heat up this discussion, causing people to send their Arc back, even though they could have waited a few days more.

Userlevel 3
Badge

if y'all are so upset and think this is unacceptable, then return it. period. mistakes happen, if you stretched your budget so thin buying a luxury item you probably didn't need to get it anyways. this thing has been out for 5 days. give them some time and they will fix it. check back in a month and buy it again, easy.

Do you really think a company as large as Sonos, selling an ultra-premium product, should be let off the hook with “mistakes happen”. This isn’t a lemonade stand...it’s not about the money, it’s about the blatant mismanagement of a company. The $800 soundbar is just a start for most of us who have thousands sunk into the ecosystem. 5 days for a fix isn’t the frustrating part, allowing what is arguably the most hyped product every released by the company out the door broken is.

Userlevel 1

I am a first time Sonos customer - just bought an Arc (and have confirmed this issue) and two Ones to go in the bedrooms.  I’ve ordered the Sub separately but it won’t arrive for a while.  As a first time customer, I also have no loyalty to Sonos either and completely understand the frustration and the want for quick answer - I’ve spent almost $2k on Sonos products as well!

What I do trust though, is the support that the larger Sonos community has given to the company for years, and for them to keep Sonos accountable to fix this issue.  The Arc is their newest flagship product and I’m sure that they are doing everything they can to support it.    In addition, @RyanS has been quite responsive with updates, so thank you for that.

I personally am willing to wait - in the grand scheme of things, we’re less than a month into a completely new product and there will inevitably be kinks.   And if it turns out to be a hardware issue, I also trust that Sonos will fix that situation as well (via recalls or exchanges).  And if that doesn’t happen, you can be certain I’ll be returning the product but I’m a far ways from that.  

Userlevel 1

For those wondering how reviewers could have missed this, it’s totally possible that they didn't, but that it was such a blatant problem that they assumed it would get worked out in the final production run. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

For those wondering how reviewers could have missed this, it’s totally possible that they didn't, but that it was such a blatant problem that they assumed it would get worked out in the final production run. 

In my room I probably wouldn’t have noticed the issue without trueplay. It’s still there without, but just at volumes which I wouldn’t run the soundbar at usually, besides some tests.

Do you really think a company as large as Sonos selling a premium product should be let off the hook with “mistakes happen”. This isn’t a lemonade stand...it’s not about the money it’s about the blatant mismanagement of a company. The $800 soundbar is just a start for most of us who have thousands sunk into the ecosystem. 5 days for a fix isn’t the frustrating part, allowing what is arguably the most hyped product every released by the company out the door broken is.

Yea… I agree with this. It’s not about the money. I didn’t not pay my mortgage so I could afford the Arc. It’s just that I spent the money, I expected it to work correctly and sound as good as the reviews said it did. Return policies exist for this reason. You’re not happy, you return it. Once it gets fixed and the kinks are worked out, maybe I’ll buy another one. Mistakes do happen but I just can’t align with the… I gave Sonos more business, they released something that doesn’t work right, but I’ll wait for them to fix it point-of-view. At the end of the day, I still have a product in my home that I’m not enjoying and don’t know when I’ll be able to fully enjoy.

Userlevel 1

Yea… I agree with this. It’s not about the money. I didn’t not pay my mortgage so I could afford the Arc. It’s just that I spent the money, I expected it to work correctly and sound as good as the reviews said it did. Return policies exist for this reason. You’re not happy, you return it. Once it gets fixed and the kinks are worked out, maybe I’ll buy another one. Mistakes do happen but I just can’t align with the… I gave Sonos more business, they released something that doesn’t work right, but I’ll wait for them to fix it point-of-view. At the end of the day, I still have a product in my home that I’m not enjoying and don’t know when I’ll be able to fully enjoy.

Yeah exactly - that’s the whole point of return policies. 

For me, I am still enjoying my Arc but that’s because my use case scenario isn’t the same as other peoples.  I don’t play a lot of bass heavy music, I like the simplicity of multi-room music, and I don’t find the need to play music or movies that loudly (usually around the 25-35% range is more than loud enough for me).  This is why I’m willing to wait but I don’t presume that others are like me.  

If you don’t like it, return it!   The speaker/soundbar/home theater space is competitive enough where you have options.  

What would happen then is that the actual issue is gone, but you created 5 others, which you just don’t have any knowledge of yet. So ...

I’m reminded of the programmer’s drinking song:

99 bugs in the code,
99 bugs in the code,
fix one bug, compile and go,
101 bugs in the code.

101 bugs in the code, …

Seriously, the issue could have been introduced late one night on the assembly line. A part may have been substituted because it “works the same” or a specified part may have been changed internally by its manufacturer and no one was notified because it “works the same”. Unfortunately, if this “new improved” part runs at a different speed, an audio application is likely to break. The challenge is to implement a fix that is tolerant of both versions because both are in the field.

In spite of all the posts we are only a few days into this issue. I agree: Patience should be the order of the day.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If you think its ok that they release a $799+tax product without proper testing then that’s on you. In my opinion they rushed to market trying to capitalize on people sitting at home and said we’ll deal with the fallout later. How can something like this go unnoticed? This isn’t some isolated incident to be called “mistakes happen”. They released untested product. Something that costs the price of two beams should work from day one as intended. Just because the issue doesn’t bother you doesn’t mean that it’s ok for the issue to be there in first place. This is Sonos and this isn’t their first rodeo. Should not have happened, period. The product is used for AUDIO, that should be working flawlessly and not become unusable at over 50% volume. it’s like buying a car that can only go 50mil/hr but hey it’s ok they’ll figure it out later how to make it go faster.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If you think its ok that they release a $799+tax product without proper testing then that’s on you. In my opinion they rushed to market trying to capitalize on people sitting at home and said we’ll deal with the fallout later. How can something like this go unnoticed? This isn’t some isolated incident to be called “mistakes happen”. They released untested product. Something that costs the price of two beams should work from day one as intended. Just because the issue doesn’t bother you doesn’t mean that it’s ok for the issue to be there in first place. This is Sonos and this isn’t their first rodeo. Should not have happened, period. The product is used for AUDIO, that should be working flawlessly and not become unusable at over 50% volume. it’s like buying a car that can only go 50mil/hr but hey it’s ok they’ll figure it out later how to make it go faster.

Hi. I think this thread has been really civil so far. There are clearly some who are a little anxious about the situation and I think that’s ok. For some this will have been a really big purchase for themselves and being let down after having chosen to spend their money on this and not something else will result in a more pronounced disappointment. It was my main birthday present this year. 

let’s not start posting comments that judge people’s reaction to the issue. If someone goes a little too far, the best thing we can do is ignore it. 

If someone judges your comments in a clearly inciting manner then leave it. 

otherwise we risk this whole thread getting derailed. It won’t encourage Sonos to support this group. 

Please don’t bite