Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I haven’t been able to play my ARC lately, but it does seem to be a major problem from others. We need an update quick!

https://youtu.be/6K415DALi5E

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I think the people who have been using SONOS products for years may have more patience and willing to give them some time to get it right, while especially those who bought Arc as their first SONOS product may not… It make lot of sense! 

Nah that’t not it. I have been with Sonos for 2 years and my Beam had 0 issues since day one. People expect the same from a product that costs as much as 2 Beams. That’s not much to ask of a premium brand like Sonos. Consistency

Yes, that’s true!

I’m going to be patiently waiting to replace my Beam until I see further update on this.  I thinking that by December this kind of quirk should be fully resolved.  

This reviewer has been pretty reliable in his objective approach.  It may be worth following him.

THIS is what surprises me the most. Wouldn’t the standard test for a speaker involve going through a test program with all the possible frequencies, recording the response and checking if everything is alright?

This pretty much highlights the problem with the ARC. I did the same test with my other Sonos products and pretty much it only manifested with the Arc being the bass driver specifically at more than 53% volume. Anything lower than that volume seems to be fine for the ARC.

@40hz test

Trueplay On, EQ both at zero, loudness on and off, sub audio set to 0 and +5

ARC alone - problem showed at 53% volume

ARC with gen 2 sub - no issues even up to 100% volume

ARC with just Ones as surrounds - problem showed at 53% volume

ARC with gen 2 sub and Ones as surrounds - no issues even up to 100%

Beam alone - no issues even up to 100%

Beam with gen 2 sub - no issues even up to 100%

Beam with just surrounds - no issues even up to 100%

Beam with gen 2 sub and surrounds - no issues even up to 100%

Sonos ones alone - no issues even up to 100%

Sonos ones as stereo - no issues even up to 100%
Sonos ones with sub - no issues even up to 100%

I hope Sonos does the fix soon based on all that has been given in this forum.  

Right. 40 Hz after 50 % volume falls apart. Though the volume tolerance seems to be going up as you increase the frequency until the issue completely goes away.

Yes that’s my observation as well.  Problem really just impacts lower frequencies most specifically the ones that gets transferred to the Sub when attached.  All my observations though are with Trueplay on, I have not tested with Trueplay off.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I think the people who have been using SONOS products for years may have more patience and willing to give them some time to get it right, while especially those who bought Arc as their first SONOS product may not… It make lot of sense! 

Nah that’t not it. I have been with Sonos for 2 years and my Beam had 0 issues since day one. People expect the same from a product that costs as much as 2 Beams. That’s not much to ask of a premium brand like Sonos. Consistency

Yes, that’s true!

I’m going to be patiently waiting to replace my Beam until I see further update on this.  I thinking that by December this kind of quirk should be fully resolved.  

This reviewer has been pretty reliable in his objective approach.  It may be worth following him.

THIS is what surprises me the most. Wouldn’t the standard test for a speaker involve going through a test program with all the possible frequencies, recording the response and checking if everything is alright?

This pretty much highlights the problem with the ARC. I did the same test with my other Sonos products and pretty much it only manifested with the Arc being the bass driver specifically at more than 53% volume. Anything lower than that volume seems to be fine for the ARC.

@40hz test

Right. 40 Hz after 50 % volume falls apart. Though the volume tolerance seems to be going up as you increase the frequency until the issue completely goes away.

Yes that’s my observation as well.  Problem really just impacts lower frequencies most specifically the ones that gets transferred to the Sub when attached.  All my observations though are with Trueplay on, I have not tested with Trueplay off.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Truplay and Loudness turned off do not fix the problem. I already tested that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Anyone else get the firmware update out of the box? Could be the issue as well, I’d imagine reviewers would be running a different version which would help explain the discrepancy in reviews vs what we’re hearing 

Yes, as soon as I hooked up my Sonos ARC to my app, it flagged me to update the ARC right away. I don’t know what update it was, but I haven’t been able to check the bass as of yet. I do have the sub hooked up. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Anyone else get the firmware update out of the box? Could be the issue as well, I’d imagine reviewers would be running a different version which would help explain the discrepancy in reviews vs what we’re hearing 

Yes, as soon as I hooked up my Sonos ARC to my app, it flagged me to update the ARC right away. I don’t know what update it was, but I haven’t been able to check the bass as of yet. I do have the sub hooked up. 

Just switch of the sub and play testtone 40hz fr Spotify. Mine showed the same problem as the video earlier in the thread.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, that’s true!

@40hz test

Truplay and Loudness turned off do not fix the problem. I already tested that.

Yeah too bad, I’m not surprised at all.  Best we could do is wait for the fix and I hope it get’s here soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Is this 40Hz a fair test of a soundbar without a sub, taking into account the size of the drivers, laws of physics, etc?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Has anyones ARC been shipped after this thing gained attention? Like shipped yesterday, today etc

This is the really interesting question to me. I have tried not to doubt Sonos, but the shipping times seems so far out now. 

I really am wondering if they are still shipping. If they are then we can assume that they are confident that it’s not a hardware issue. If they’re not, then maybe I should be concerned. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is this 40Hz a fair test of a soundbar without a sub, taking into account the size of the drivers, laws of physics, etc?

The soundbar should know what to do with that frequency without making the sound go to hell. I played some test tones on my Amazon Echo and the bass simply fades away as Hz go down rather than trying to blow the speakers out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Has anyones ARC been shipped after this thing gained attention? Like shipped yesterday, today etc

This is the really interesting question to me. I have tried not to doubt Sonos, but the shipping times seems so far out now. 

I really am wondering if they are still shipping. If they are then we can assume that they are confident that it’s not a hardware issue. If they’re not, then maybe I should be concerned. 

Shipping dates have gone far out for all the products, not just Arc. Shouldn’t be a reason for speculation.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

ordered mine on the 9th June day before launch I'm in the UK this morning my card was charged and the sonos site now says "dispatch acknowledged" and " processing "

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Just switch of the sub and play testtone 40hz fr Spotify. Mine showed the same problem as the video earlier in the thread.

Just DSP gone wrong. Should be fixable via a software update. Hope things move smoothly and quickly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

The soundbar should know what to do with that frequency without making the sound go to hell. I played some test tones on my Amazon Echo and the bass simply fades away as Hz go down rather than trying to blow the speakers out. 

Maybe the ‘software‘ in the Arc thinks its also Sub?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just DSP gone wrong. Should be fixable via a software update. Hope things move smoothly and quickly.

Now that seems more plausible, the DSP going haywire. Let’s hope that’s it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve seen some people say with the current issue if you are playing with any loudness, even with the sub, you can damage the arc speakers, is there any truth to this? Is there a need to hold off on using until the update? Thank you.

I’m afraid to play and damage my Sonos ARC right now, until their is a software update. I will be playing my headphones for now. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve seen some people say with the current issue if you are playing with any loudness, even with the sub, you can damage the arc speakers, is there any truth to this? Is there a need to hold off on using until the update? Thank you.

I’m afraid to play and damage my Sonos ARC right now, until their is a software update. I will be playing my headphones for now. 

This is where I am. Really wish Sonos would issue some guidance here. Otherwise I’m sending my arc back just to make sure I don’t have any damage. 

I also have the base issues with the ARC! I have two ones connected for surround sound and have noticed a change to them as well. This only since updating from the Beam and to S2.

Tested the Beam And noticed a similar issue with the base but not as bad as ARC.

Hopefully SONOS will have an update soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Should be since the beam which is smaller with lesser drivers performs absolutely great at 40Hz compared to the Arc.  If the beam did the same then probably I could understand that it’s just a “soundbar”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If you take the video into account where you can clearly see the ripple, the question is which of the two volumes it produces is the one it should produce, if it is the lower one we might have an issue. Anyway you’d not put speakers in which are close to breaking from the tones you’re producing. I am sure there is still some more they could do without breaking, but they just shouldn’t do it permanently.

What’s all this fuss and drama about a WARRANTY ISSUE? If it’s related to the firmware there will soon be a fix available; if it’s hardware-related, then you will either receive a replacement or get your money back.

Badge

I ordered last week with an estimated delivery date of July 17. But just received shipment notification from Sonos that its out for delivery tomorrow, so they are definitely still shipping in Europe. I'll put it to test and will report back here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What’s all this fuss and drama about a WARRANTY ISSUE? If it’s related to the firmware there will soon be a fix available; if it’s hardware-related, then you will either receive a replacement or get your money back.

Chill with the bold and caps please. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the Arc, Sub, and Amp with SONOS Sonance speakers. I can reproduce if I turn off the Sub and run the 40 hz test sound. However, I never noticed it because I set the room to maximum volume of 60%. When the volume is set to maximum 60% in the App for the room, the Arc plays the 40 hz perfectly and never distorts.

I tend to run volume limits on my speakers because the kids then cannot just run everything up really loud. 

For those that are worried about damage, the volume limiting might be something to consider.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

No soundbar can properly reproduce the first octave at high volumes. I did get an update when I first activated my Arc. It’s possible that the update disabled the high-pass filter that normally only is disabled when a Sub is attached.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

No soundbar can properly reproduce the first octave at high volumes. I did get an update when I first activated my Arc. It’s possible that the update disabled the high-pass filter that normally only is disabled when a Sub is attached.

I get this weird feeling that the S2 app might be the problem, because others have reported weird bugs coming from other Sonos speakers.