Answered

Sonos Arc Height Channels

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Badge +4

When the volume slider for the height channels are increased to a +10 are they significantly louder than the other drivers in the Arc?

Userlevel 7

When the volume slider for the height channels are increased to a +10 are they significantly louder than the other drivers in the Arc?

How loud it sounds will be dependent on how tall your ceilings are. For most people, +10 will be too loud and overpower the other drivers of the Arc. But if you have really high ceilings, I could see how a +10 setting would be necessary. I have 8 ft ceilings and I have mine set to +5 or +6.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I read a rumor somewhere that Sonos intends to issue a firmware update for the Arc that would allow for a volume slider in the S2 App to independently control the volume of the height channels (upfiring drivers) on the Arc. Can someone please confirm if they have knowledge of or have heard that is true. Thanks in advance 

I did the update to 3.1, see the new selection on S2 for the height volume, but found it does not change or vary the height sound, even though my S2 app does register I am playing a Dolby Atmos Movie. Sonos please make it work. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos’s arc - (Theatre sound system set up). 

I am still in the processes in the investigation of the up-firing Heigh Volume adjustment concern as had stated and will revert back.

Sonos Arc theatre system is a great product. See some of my personal comments as below.

For: (These are My Personal View only with my experience in use)

. Sonos Arc with the theatre sound set up (Refer here as T- kit) is the best kit there is to date (2021), compared with many other top-end quality Dobly  Atmos soundbars products out there. (But however, they had all had the additional DTS/DTS-X features )

. Sono’s Arc produced best sound reproduction and best quality and voices sounded accurate and natural, every spoken word very legible-vocal/voice /speeches etc.. and with the extra offerings, functions to enhance the voice sound to a bonus if we needed.

. A piece of artwork i.e. beautifully designed with excellent materials and looks elastically good too which beautifully fits into any room very well and also enhance the esthetics of the room at the same time. 

. Best easy user experience friendly Sonos S2 App, offerings great functionality and features and enhanced functionalities on version updates. Excellent room sound correction functions, Seamless and user-friendly menus and functionalities. No other offers as much and more. Well done Sonos 

*Well done to Sonos so far, Competition is healthy however don't relax and let others overtake you. Keep it up*

With my experienced in hearing the Sonos Arc T-kit and another No.1 rated Dobly Atmos soundbar (my previous kit). The Sonos Arc theatre kit cost: £1856 GBP (Date 2021)(1xARC + 2 x Sonos one (GEN2) + 1 Sub (GEN3) comparing to the other cost £ 344 GBP more (Date 2021) and when comparing both in my same TV room, I found the latter to be Bulky (HxWxLxD) and the design and materials not esthetics pleasing and the voice sound clarity not as perfect or good as Sono’s arc. (however, it had all had DTS/DTS-X features)

Against (Need improvements) : (These are My Personal View only with my experience in use)

. No rear speaker sound or activity with non-Dolby, Non-HD contents, for the S2 App requires new functionality to allow virtual Pseudo sound. Hence unable to Play Mono good Movies titles and Movies in Stereo ( movies we had till the 80’ +) unable to play on the rear speaker and no function on the Sonos S2 app to allow this, is we like to see an extra button on the Sonos 2 App under the “Sound” heading under “Surround” heading another to see “ Pseudo Sound adjustment for the rear Sonos one speakers) and still able to control the SUB, Rear, ARC TV Volumes. Hope to see this in the near future on the Firmware update. Thanking you in advance Sonos Development Team. ( Notes these this feature are provided on the other renowned Dolby Atmos Soundbars manufacturers) 

.Need to match whether your TV and streaming box will support Atmos on Arc, i.e need eArc HDMI to receive full uncompressed Dolby Atmos sound, or HDMI ARC to allow Pass-through compressed Dobly Atomos/ HD signals, this technical reference info confirmed from the TV manufacturers and from Sonos Tech team. 

. Only one HDMI 

. No DTS?DTS-X support  (I hope to see this feature introduced with a firmware update soon)

. No Bluetooth (would have helped with the flexibility of use, but not a critical issue) 

Appreciate professional feedback and advice - Thank you. 

… 

Note: I still want to stay focused on the present Forum subject - regarding the up-firing Heigh Volume adjustment and will revert back and would appreciate professional advice on how and for it to works - Thank you.

End 

Userlevel 7

@bobmatt What specific Dolby Atmos content are you watching and what device are you watching it from? How far are you sitting from the Arc and how far is the Arc from the ceiling? Are your ceilings flat and without any obstruction like a ceiling fan?

Userlevel 7

@DuranDoranMartell Have you performed the system update in the Sonos app too?

The height audio level control is located under the Arc’s audio settings in the Sonos app:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5041?language=en_US

Userlevel 7

@bobmatt From Sonos:

“If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.”

You can also adjust the Surround Level higher in the Sonos app if you want the ambient audio from stereo sources to be played louder from your surround speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Tried and test as mentioned, it's not there at all, the rear two surrounds are totally silent as mentioned 

Userlevel 7

Tried and test as mentioned, it's not there at all, the rear two surrounds are totally silent as mentioned 

What specific stereo source are you testing? What device are you watching it from? Are the surround speakers completely silent when watching any stereo source?