Answered

Sonos Arc Height Channels

Badge +4

I read a rumor somewhere that Sonos intends to issue a firmware update for the Arc that would allow for a volume slider in the S2 App to independently control the volume of the height channels (upfiring drivers) on the Arc. Can someone please confirm if they have knowledge of or have heard that is true. Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 12 May 2021, 16:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Userlevel 7

Nice work, Sonos! I have the Height Audio turned up to +10 and I already notice a huge difference with the height channels. MUCH more convincing!

Userlevel 7

I figured out a trick to edit the space back in. After you edit the space, type at least one letter at the end of the post. Then delete the letter and Save Changes. The space should remain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Shimmer BFF 

Thanks for your post!

Apologies for the delay - I was waiting until today as I can now say that the S2 update that just came out today does include this new feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for the feedback, @GuitarSuperstar!

On another note, if anyone has noticed the occasional missing space (that we can’t edit back in - we’ve tried), we have reported the issue to Insided.

Apologies for the delay - I was waiting until today as I can now say that the S2 update that just came out todaydoes include this new feature.

Userlevel 7

@bobmatt What specific Dolby Atmos content are you watching and what device are you watching it from? How far are you sitting from the Arc and how far is the Arc from the ceiling? Are your ceilings flat and without any obstruction like a ceiling fan?

For example - Dolby aAtmos movies from Netflix , into arc and my Sonos 2 app status  tv  (in black and white) movie watching “ Dolby Atmos “ sound.

Most Dolby Atmos movies are not going to have a lot of height channel activity all of the time. You need to find an Atmos film or show that has a specific scene with clearly defined height channel activity to test out the height channel levels to be able to tell the difference. I recommend Roma on Netflix. It has a pretty active Atmos track and utilizes the height channels pretty well.

You could also download this Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 test tones video. Put it on a USB flash drive and play it through your TV by plugging it into the TV’s USB port.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/hc21uu/dolby_atmos_512_test_video_file_download_link/

I’d encourage any person to post within the rules of the forum on this public thread.

If you’d rather not get people like GuitarSuperstar to post in an attempt to assist, I’d recommend that you not post here, and instead call Sonos Support directly to discuss your concern.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. And you’ll be in a private conversation, not posting on a public help forum, designed for Sonos users to assist other Sonos users. 

Glad to see this has been added, would like to see centre channel optimisations like this as well.. Sometimes feel I need to up that now and again as voices can be to quiet, even with speech enhancement on.

Not sure that would have the intended effect as the center channel is not exclusive to voices.   You might very well be turning up the volume for sounds that distract from the voice as well.

Userlevel 7

Glad to see this has been added, would like to see centre channel optimisations like this as well.. Sometimes feel I need to up that now and again as voices can be to quiet, even with speech enhancement on.

Not sure that would have the intended effect as the center channel is not exclusive to voices.   You might very well be turning up the volume for sounds that distract from the voice as well.

If Sonos ever decided to add this feature, I can see them only allowing users to increase the center channel level a few notches from 0 to +3 because of how much it could ruin the balance of the soundbar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Shimmer BFF 

If you did a manual update, that was just the app - you’ll need to do another manual update for the system. Then, you’ll see it next to surround level in the Arc’s settings under System.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the info. I requested this update a long time ago via emailing theCEO. Do you notice a big difference in height effects?

Yes, there is a VERY noticeable difference. Adding this feature will be a game-changer for the Arc.

Userlevel 7

Anybody recommend good test material for tweaking the new setting?

A Dolby Atmos demo disc on Blu-ray is the best way to test, but not many people have access to these discs or use a Blu-ray player.

But you can download this Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 test tones MP4 file and put it on a USB flash drive and play it through your TV:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/hc21uu/dolby_atmos_512_test_video_file_download_link/

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Wow wow wow. Game changer. Well done.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Shimmer BFF 

If you did a manual update, that was just the app - you’ll need to do another manual update for the system. Then, you’ll see it next to surround level in the Arc’s settings under System.

Wait! What?

I have my Sonos set to update automatically, the app says my system is up to date. Version 13.1.

There is no height control. 

What am I missing?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have provided this info, answered all of the above Q’s, please read in my thread history on the same above  

Userlevel 7

I have provided this info, answered all of the above Q’s, please read in my thread history on the same above  

I don’t see any specific titles, streaming apps, or specific devices mentioned in your posts.

Badge +4

I just updated the S2 App. Where is the slider for the height channel volume located? I don't see it anywhere. Thanks

Badge +4

Thanks for the info. I requested this update a long time ago via emailing theCEO. Do you notice a big difference in height effects?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks I found it! Amazing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

As had stated in my post : 

once again here it is as a summery 

TV : LG Dolby Atmos Vision and Dolby Atoms sound 

Source : Netflix Dolby Atmos content movies 

To your Q - YES the surround speakers are completely silent when playing movies that are in stereo ( 80’s) movies and playing 60’s mono movies 

Hope this has answered your Q 

Userlevel 7

As had stated in my post : 

once again here it is as a summery 

TV : LG Dolby Atmos Vision and Dolby Atoms sound 

Source : Netflix Dolby Atmos content movies 

To your Q - YES the surround speakers are completely silent when playing movies that are in stereo ( 80’s) movies and playing 60’s mono movies 

Hope this has answered your Q 

No, not really. What specific stereo and mono movies are you watching? And from what specific source? Netflix? DVD? Blu-ray? VHS? Laserdisc?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I wrote to in my last and many many time : source : movies from Netflix . 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

From memory stereo from Netflix comes across pretty flat but I can't test it at the moment. Free to air TV stereo sources give me a much better upmix than Netflix I feel. 

Userlevel 7

I wrote to in my last and many many time : source : movies from Netflix . 

Please give us a specific movie title from Netflix so we can test it ourselves to compare.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Anybody recommend good test material for tweaking the new setting?