Answered

Sonos Arc Height Channels

Badge +4

I read a rumor somewhere that Sonos intends to issue a firmware update for the Arc that would allow for a volume slider in the S2 App to independently control the volume of the height channels (upfiring drivers) on the Arc. Can someone please confirm if they have knowledge of or have heard that is true. Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 12 May 2021, 16:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Badge

With the help of GuitarSuperstar on another thread, I ‘found’ the night slider I didn’t know existed and had a play today. In the absence of any proper test files to hand I picked a source I know to be ATMOS (confirmed in the app) and went about a rather clumsy but ultimately fruitful way of setting up the upward sections (eventually). 

Because you don’t actually completely know when the speakers are active, by playing demo media from the LG Dolby app on my CX55 whilst sliding the adjustment left to right repeatedly and fairly quickly you soon find sections with height in them. You can hear it relating to your finger movement quite distinctly when they occur and there is LMP difference when the signals aren’t present. By then nudging the media back (remember DVD loop functions? I miss them!) and repeating the section you can hear has it, you can get a feel for what it’s doing. By doing the same with various sources, I found that for a subtle effect rather than an overly dominant one, about +3 worked for me and I then tested with things I know more. Obviously, nobody’s settings will be the same as mine but the process works. I’ll probably repeat the slider approach again a few times this week and ensure I’m happy where I am with it. You look a bit daft sliding the feature back and forth, especially on an iPad, but it worked for me after pondering how I might be sure I was listening to actual upward intended media sections. 

I’ll also try some of the test tone links shared too instead of my rather rudimentary approach above. Thanks for these. 

Userlevel 7

@Naekyr I am using an Apple TV 4K. Here is a list of other compatible devices:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004255778-Dolby-Atmos-Music

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Back to the original topic…

With the added ability to control the height audio levels on the Arc and how it has dramatically improved the height effect with Dolby Atmos audio, I decided to get a trial subscription on Tidal ($2 for two months). Listening to old songs with a new Dolby Atmos mix is a pretty great experience. You hear parts of the song you have never heard before. It reminds me of the first time I listened to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 and quad mixes on Blu-ray. It completely changed the way I listen to music. Now I wish all music was mixed in 5.1 and Dolby Atmos.

How did you get atmos music to the Arc? Phone app wouldn’t work since Airplay doesn’t support Atmos at present. Did you use a TV app or something?

Userlevel 7

Back to the original topic…

With the added ability to control the height audio levels on the Arc and how it has dramatically improved the height effect with Dolby Atmos audio, I decided to get a trial subscription on Tidal ($2 for two months). Listening to old songs with a new Dolby Atmos mix is a pretty great experience. You hear parts of the song you have never heard before. It reminds me of the first time I listened to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 and quad mixes on Blu-ray. It completely changed the way I listen to music. Now I wish all music was mixed in 5.1 and Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes I agree - Gals you don’t , ( it clearly states it is in HD 5.1, so logic to answer that to say it works ) 

( one (me) had checked all these these titles  and hence mentioned tiles that don’t work, so need to reply to that if one can , and not to side track and waste everyone’s time shutting back and forth with pointless unrelated 

Please kindly do not reply with unnecessarily 

It won’t be replied or read 

Kind Regards 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I don’t know why you’re  mentioning Monty Payton , never said any this about it, in fact Netflix has enhance its sound to HD 1.5 ( if had bothered to check this info if you looked careful on the top right of of the Netflix steen ) 

GuitatSuperstar please do don’t advice me / reply to any to me from now on with useless and unprofessional answers . I will not be reading any more of your post , you will  be waiting your tome or any others who give any such 

He explained why. I would have helped as well except for circumstances. Glad I didn't.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes we all know that 

We expect some intelligent feedback and discussion on the forum unlike “guitarsuperstar” 

I’d encourage any person to post within the rules of the forum on this public thread.

If you’d rather not get people like GuitarSuperstar to post in an attempt to assist, I’d recommend that you not post here, and instead call Sonos Support directly to discuss your concern.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. And you’ll be in a private conversation, not posting on a public help forum, designed for Sonos users to assist other Sonos users. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t know why you’re  mentioning Monty Payton , never said any this about it, in fact Netflix has enhance its sound to HD 1.5 ( if had bothered to check this info if you looked careful on the top right of of the Netflix steen ) 

GuitatSuperstar please do don’t advice me / reply to any to me from now on with useless and unprofessional answers . I will not be reading any more of your post , you will  be waiting your tome or any others who give any such 

Userlevel 7

@bobmatt The Sonos Arc DOES produce a virtual surround effect with a stereo source. Like I mentioned earlier, I just tested Monty Python’s Personal Best on Netflix which is in stereo, and I could CLEARLY hear the music during the introduction through my surround speakers. I’m sure I could find multiple stereo sources on Netflix and experience the same result.

FYI… I watch YouTube videos in stereo all of the time. I always hear audio playing out of my surround speakers when watching YouTube videos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That’s precisely the point 

That is why a system the can make it sound like surround is called Virtual surround function by a device and by DTS/ DTS-X 

I know The senhiser atmos unit can do this and also by LG and Samsung’s Dolby Atmos Soundbar where it plays non 5.1 including Mono transmission into virtual surround by thier units . So please understand I not asking fir the impossible 

I cam see you have not taken the effort or to read and understand my thread history (on this post history here. Please take that effort and do some research too before answering 

Please kindly only reply if you have professional and technical understanding and answers to the solution or recommendation for Sonos team.

Thank you 

Userlevel 7

Faulty Tower, Black adder, vicar of Diby, etc… just to name a few 

None of these titles are available on Netflix for me to test.

Although I did test Monty Python’s Personal Best on Netflix which is in stereo, and I could hear the music in the introduction through my surround speakers. 

None of those listed were recorded in Dolby Atmos, or frankly any 5.1 signal, just stereo, at best, and possibly mono. It’s possible that they’re sending that mono/stereo signal encoded in a Dolby Atmos signal, but you’d still be receiving stereo channels, and nothing at all would be in the height or surround speakers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Faulty Tower, Black adder, vicar of Diby, etc… just to name a few 

Userlevel 7

I wrote to in my last and many many time : source : movies from Netflix . 

Please give us a specific movie title from Netflix so we can test it ourselves to compare.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

From memory stereo from Netflix comes across pretty flat but I can't test it at the moment. Free to air TV stereo sources give me a much better upmix than Netflix I feel. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I wrote to in my last and many many time : source : movies from Netflix . 

Userlevel 7

As had stated in my post : 

once again here it is as a summery 

TV : LG Dolby Atmos Vision and Dolby Atoms sound 

Source : Netflix Dolby Atmos content movies 

To your Q - YES the surround speakers are completely silent when playing movies that are in stereo ( 80’s) movies and playing 60’s mono movies 

Hope this has answered your Q 

No, not really. What specific stereo and mono movies are you watching? And from what specific source? Netflix? DVD? Blu-ray? VHS? Laserdisc?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

As had stated in my post : 

once again here it is as a summery 

TV : LG Dolby Atmos Vision and Dolby Atoms sound 

Source : Netflix Dolby Atmos content movies 

To your Q - YES the surround speakers are completely silent when playing movies that are in stereo ( 80’s) movies and playing 60’s mono movies 

Hope this has answered your Q 

Userlevel 7

I have provided this info, answered all of the above Q’s, please read in my thread history on the same above  

I don’t see any specific titles, streaming apps, or specific devices mentioned in your posts.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have provided this info, answered all of the above Q’s, please read in my thread history on the same above  

Userlevel 7

Tried and test as mentioned, it's not there at all, the rear two surrounds are totally silent as mentioned 

What specific stereo source are you testing? What device are you watching it from? Are the surround speakers completely silent when watching any stereo source?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Tried and test as mentioned, it's not there at all, the rear two surrounds are totally silent as mentioned 

Userlevel 7

@bobmatt From Sonos:

“If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.”

You can also adjust the Surround Level higher in the Sonos app if you want the ambient audio from stereo sources to be played louder from your surround speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos’s arc - (Theatre sound system set up). 

I am still in the processes in the investigation of the up-firing Heigh Volume adjustment concern as had stated and will revert back.

Sonos Arc theatre system is a great product. See some of my personal comments as below.

For: (These are My Personal View only with my experience in use)

. Sonos Arc with the theatre sound set up (Refer here as T- kit) is the best kit there is to date (2021), compared with many other top-end quality Dobly  Atmos soundbars products out there. (But however, they had all had the additional DTS/DTS-X features )

. Sono’s Arc produced best sound reproduction and best quality and voices sounded accurate and natural, every spoken word very legible-vocal/voice /speeches etc.. and with the extra offerings, functions to enhance the voice sound to a bonus if we needed.

. A piece of artwork i.e. beautifully designed with excellent materials and looks elastically good too which beautifully fits into any room very well and also enhance the esthetics of the room at the same time. 

. Best easy user experience friendly Sonos S2 App, offerings great functionality and features and enhanced functionalities on version updates. Excellent room sound correction functions, Seamless and user-friendly menus and functionalities. No other offers as much and more. Well done Sonos 

*Well done to Sonos so far, Competition is healthy however don't relax and let others overtake you. Keep it up*

With my experienced in hearing the Sonos Arc T-kit and another No.1 rated Dobly Atmos soundbar (my previous kit). The Sonos Arc theatre kit cost: £1856 GBP (Date 2021)(1xARC + 2 x Sonos one (GEN2) + 1 Sub (GEN3) comparing to the other cost £ 344 GBP more (Date 2021) and when comparing both in my same TV room, I found the latter to be Bulky (HxWxLxD) and the design and materials not esthetics pleasing and the voice sound clarity not as perfect or good as Sono’s arc. (however, it had all had DTS/DTS-X features)

Against (Need improvements) : (These are My Personal View only with my experience in use)

. No rear speaker sound or activity with non-Dolby, Non-HD contents, for the S2 App requires new functionality to allow virtual Pseudo sound. Hence unable to Play Mono good Movies titles and Movies in Stereo ( movies we had till the 80’ +) unable to play on the rear speaker and no function on the Sonos S2 app to allow this, is we like to see an extra button on the Sonos 2 App under the “Sound” heading under “Surround” heading another to see “ Pseudo Sound adjustment for the rear Sonos one speakers) and still able to control the SUB, Rear, ARC TV Volumes. Hope to see this in the near future on the Firmware update. Thanking you in advance Sonos Development Team. ( Notes these this feature are provided on the other renowned Dolby Atmos Soundbars manufacturers) 

.Need to match whether your TV and streaming box will support Atmos on Arc, i.e need eArc HDMI to receive full uncompressed Dolby Atmos sound, or HDMI ARC to allow Pass-through compressed Dobly Atomos/ HD signals, this technical reference info confirmed from the TV manufacturers and from Sonos Tech team. 

. Only one HDMI 

. No DTS?DTS-X support  (I hope to see this feature introduced with a firmware update soon)

. No Bluetooth (would have helped with the flexibility of use, but not a critical issue) 

Appreciate professional feedback and advice - Thank you. 

… 

Note: I still want to stay focused on the present Forum subject - regarding the up-firing Heigh Volume adjustment and will revert back and would appreciate professional advice on how and for it to works - Thank you.

End