Sonos Arc & DTS via PCM on Panasonic UB9000....

Show first post

87 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Samsung TVs are known to have issues with the Arc. There are a few threads of other Samsung users with similar problems. I don’t know if there is a solution, and I don’t think the Arcana will fix it since it seems to be more of a Samsung problem.

All I can say is be sure your TV’s firmware is up to date.

Ok, thanks again buddy….

I’ll keep my eye on it & contact Samsung again….👍

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs are known to have issues with the Arc. There are a few threads of other Samsung users with similar problems. I don’t know if there is a solution, and I don’t think the Arcana will fix it since it seems to be more of a Samsung problem.

All I can say is be sure your TV’s firmware is up to date.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Have you always experienced the audio dropouts with the Arc or did it just start happening recently? Does it happen from all sources?

My Daughter noticed it first & I struggled to hear it, but it was quite prevalent in a movie I watched on Netflix….

I sent a diagnostic to Sonos & they said there was an error on Sonos Arc connection between TV and Arc?

Ive checked all the cables & all seems fine, plus all the cables are brand new?

Userlevel 7

Have you always experienced the audio dropouts with the Arc or did it just start happening recently? Does it happen from all sources?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have been experiencing the odd sound dropout on the Arc & from looking around this is a known issue with the Arc…. I have read that the Arcana solves this issue too, is this correct?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you are currently getting the audio you want out of the Sky Q, then all you need is the Arcana and cables. The Sky Q will remain connected to HDMI 1, the Arcana will be connected to HDMI 3, and the Arc and Panasonic will be connected directly to the Arcana.

Just purchased one, with a few more HDMI cables….

Just to be clear, do I plug the HDMI VIDEO OUT into the Arcana or the HDMI AUDIO OUT?

Panasonic HDMI VIDEO OUT to Arcana HDMI IN

Sonos Arc to Arcana eARC OUT

TV HDMI 3 eARC to Arcana HDMI OUT

As always, thanks buddy….

Userlevel 7

If you are currently getting the audio you want out of the Sky Q, then all you need is the Arcana and cables. The Sky Q will remain connected to HDMI 1, the Arcana will be connected to HDMI 3, and the Arc and Panasonic will be connected directly to the Arcana.

Just to be clear, do I plug the HDMI VIDEO OUT into the Arcana or the HDMI AUDIO OUT?

Panasonic HDMI VIDEO OUT to Arcana HDMI IN

Sonos Arc to Arcana eARC OUT

TV HDMI 3 eARC to Arcana HDMI OUT

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks buddy, you have been a great help….

Userlevel 7

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you just have the Panasonic UHD player and no other external media devices, all you need is the Arcana and some good HDMI cables. HDFury recommends Cable Matters, KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables. I am using these KabelDirekt cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMF1VJZ/

If you have more than one external media device, you need an HDMI switch. I am using a 3-port ROOFULL HDMI switch. It is no longer available, but here’s a 5-port switch:

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Premium-Switch-Support-Auto-Switch/dp/B083NWKPXW

My setup is Sky Q in HDMI 1, the Panasonic UHD player in HDMI 2 & the Sonos Arc in HDMI 3 eARC. Would I still need a HDMI switch, or would the Arcana & cables be sufficient?

Userlevel 7

If you just have the Panasonic UHD player and no other external media devices, all you need is the Arcana and some good HDMI cables. HDFury recommends Cable Matters, KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables. I am using these KabelDirekt cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMF1VJZ/

If you have more than one external media device, you need an HDMI switch. I am using a 3-port ROOFULL HDMI switch. It is no longer available, but here’s a 5-port switch:

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Premium-Switch-Support-Auto-Switch/dp/B083NWKPXW

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yes, the UB9000 will work just fine with the Arcana.

Yes, all of my Blu-ray and UHD discs that are encoded with a DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X soundtrack play as multichannel PCM out of the Arc. Before the Arcana, all I could get was stereo PCM because my TV is only equipped with HDMI ARC.

Would I need anything else apart from the Arcana, with my current setup to make this all work well?

Userlevel 7

Yes, the UB9000 will work just fine with the Arcana.

Yes, all of my Blu-ray and UHD discs that are encoded with a DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X soundtrack play as multichannel PCM out of the Arc. Before the Arcana, all I could get was stereo PCM because my TV is only equipped with HDMI ARC.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Am I correct in saying that most other brands have this enabled on their TV’s?

Browsing forums, there seems to be a lot of angry Samsung customers, so I am surprised that Samsung still won’t acknowledge this issue….

The only other issue I have seen that is similar to yours is LG TVs with eARC cannot play multichannel LPCM audio from Panasonic UHD players.

One way to get around these issues is getting an HDFury Arcana. It will allow any external media device like a UHD player to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I have an Arcana and it works great with my old Panasonic plasma and Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player. All of my DTS discs play as multichannel PCM out of the Arc.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I have heard of the Arcana before & that looks like it maybe the way forward for me, as Samsung just won’t admit there is an issue.

The Panasonic DP-UB820 is pretty much the same as the UB9000, so that should work for me?

So all you're DTS discs play in ,multi channel surround sound?

Userlevel 7

Browsing forums, there seems to be a lot of angry Samsung customers, so I am surprised that Samsung still won’t acknowledge this issue….

The only other issue I have seen that is similar to yours is LG TVs with eARC cannot play multichannel LPCM audio from Panasonic UHD players.

One way to get around these issues is getting an HDFury Arcana. It will allow any external media device like a UHD player to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I have an Arcana and it works great with my old Panasonic plasma and Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player. All of my DTS discs play as multichannel PCM out of the Arc.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

In the interim, make sure you have downmix set tosurround encoded. Might give you a little bit extra.

Will do buddy, thanks again….:thumbsup:

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

In the interim, make sure you have downmix set tosurround encoded. Might give you a little bit extra.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Had a long chat with a Samsung rep last night & I didn’t really get anywhere…. Firstly he denied that my TV had LPCM, then realised that it did….:weary: Then there was a back & fourth of what settings to try, which I told him I had already done all of these, thanks to your help.

In the end he filed a complaint for me & someone is due to be calling me back today….

From reading other forums it is a major issue with Samsung TV’s & what is more worrying is that Samsung don’t seem to want to admit that its an issue….

Userlevel 7

No problem. Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Sorry, just missed your post….

Typical, I have only had this TV for a few months & when I researched the model, I made sure all these things would work correctly….🤦‍♂️

Ill get in touch with Samsung….

Thanks again for all your help with this….

Userlevel 7

See my post above about your Samsung TV. I would contact Samsung to confirm the LPCM problem and see if they are working on fixing it. Also, be sure you have the latest firmware installed on your TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Keep Anynet+ enabled and HDMI eARC set to Auto.

Try setting Digital Output Audio Format to Auto or PCM.

Set MPEG Audio on the Panasonic to Bitstream.

What HDMI cable are you using to connect the Panasonic to your TV?

Done all those things & still stuck on Stereo PCM….

The HDMI cables I use are….

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082SBMLYX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5C5E3S9G4JNMY2ZPC6N8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Userlevel 7

After some further research, it looks like it may just be your TV.

Take a look at this thread on Samsung’s community forums:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Buyer-beware-2020-QLED-eARC-LPCM-issues/td-p/1598450