Sonos Arc & DTS via PCM on Panasonic UB9000....

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have had a Sonos Arc for around 2 weeks now & its not fully setup for surround sound (I'm still waiting for my One SL's to be shipped) I knew the issues with the Arc & its incompatibility with DTS, however I came across this article which states that if I turn DTS/DTS-HD to PCM on my Panasonic UB9000, my eARC TV will be able to convert DTS/DTS-HD audio to Dolby Digital 5.1. Am I reading this correctly & has anyone tried this?

DTS via PCM?​​​

87 replies

Userlevel 7

The Panasonic player will convert a DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X soundtrack to multichannel PCM not Dolby Digital 5.1. The Sonos Arc supports multichannel PCM audio, although there is an issue where the Arc is not downmixing 7.1 PCM to 5.1 PCM properly. Sonos is working on fixing this issue.

Userlevel 7

If your TV is equipped with HDMI eARC, the Sonos Arc should play multichannel PCM surround sound through all your speakers. On a 7.1 mix, only the side surround channels will play out of the rear surround speakers because of the downmixing issue, but a 5.1 mix will play all the channels correctly.

What TV are you using?

Userlevel 7

Even though you don’t currently have your surround speakers set up, the Sonos app should still already be showing “Multichannel PCM 5.1” or Multichannel PCM 7.1” not “Stereo PCM” from DTS-encoded discs.

What are your TV’s audio settings set to?

Userlevel 7

On your TV, set HDMI eARC to 'Auto' and Digital Output Audio to 'Passthrough'. Then set your Panasonic to convert DTS to PCM and you should be good.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

On your TV, set HDMI eARC to 'Auto' and Digital Output Audio to 'Passthrough'. Then set your Panasonic to convert DTS to PCM and you should be good.

I’ll give that a go….

Thanks again for all your help, its really appreciated….:thumbsup:

Userlevel 7

On the Panasonic, set BD-Video Secondary Audio to off.

Is Anynet+ enabled on your TV?

What other options do you have for the HDMI eARC and Digital Output Audio settings?

What specific disc/movie are you testing?

Userlevel 7

See my post above about your Samsung TV. I would contact Samsung to confirm the LPCM problem and see if they are working on fixing it. Also, be sure you have the latest firmware installed on your TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Sorry, just missed your post….

Typical, I have only had this TV for a few months & when I researched the model, I made sure all these things would work correctly….🤦‍♂️

Ill get in touch with Samsung….

Thanks again for all your help with this….

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If you are currently getting the audio you want out of the Sky Q, then all you need is the Arcana and cables. The Sky Q will remain connected to HDMI 1, the Arcana will be connected to HDMI 3, and the Arc and Panasonic will be connected directly to the Arcana.

Thanks buddy, you have been a great help….

Userlevel 7

If you are currently getting the audio you want out of the Sky Q, then all you need is the Arcana and cables. The Sky Q will remain connected to HDMI 1, the Arcana will be connected to HDMI 3, and the Arc and Panasonic will be connected directly to the Arcana.

Just purchased one, with a few more HDMI cables….

Just to be clear, do I plug the HDMI VIDEO OUT into the Arcana or the HDMI AUDIO OUT?

Panasonic HDMI VIDEO OUT to Arcana HDMI IN

Sonos Arc to Arcana eARC OUT

TV HDMI 3 eARC to Arcana HDMI OUT

Userlevel 7

Unplug the Arc for about a minute and reboot your router and phone.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Do you leave your switch on all the time or is it safer to put into standby?

Whichever you prefer, or whatever works best for your setup.

Ok.

As always, thanks for your help….👍👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Received the Arcana & setup was quite simple….

It works a treat now with my Panasonic UHD player & multi channel sound is playing through the Arc when playing  DTS disc….👍👍

One small issue is that previously I could turn on the Sky Q & the TV would turn on automatically, now I have to turn the TV on first, then the Sky Q box, plus there is a small delay of sound, but I assume that is everything syncing via the Arcana??

I haven’t really looked or messed around with the settings, but I assume that this can be sorted via the settings menu?.

Userlevel 7

I’m glad the Arcana is working with your Panasonic player. Does the Sky Q still play Dolby Atmos audio?

Try unplugging the Sky Q, TV, Arc, and Arcana from power for about a minute to see if it fixes your issues. Are you using the new HDMI cables for all the connections?

I would also post the question on HDFury’s Discord page and see if they can help. There might be a setting on the Arcana that can be adjusted to fix the audio delay.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I’m glad the Arcana is working with your Panasonic player. Does the Sky Q still play Dolby Atmos audio?

Try unplugging the Sky Q, TV, Arc, and Arcana from power for about a minute to see if it fixes your issues. Are you using the new HDMI cables for all the connections?

I would also post the question on HDFury’s Discord page and see if they can help. There might be a setting on the Arcana that can be adjusted to fix the audio delay.

Sky Q is still playing Dolby Atmos fine, as you said it would….👍

I unplugged everything & it’s still a bit flaky. I am using all brand new cables, so it shouldn’t be that?

Ill send the guy a message to see if there are some tweaks I can make….

The other thing I have noticed is that during an Ad break, the volume goes very high, where as the broadcast/programme is the ideal sound level….😩

Userlevel 7

You can turn on Night Sound (moon icon) in the Sonos app. I keep it on with normal TV viewing and turn it off when watching movies or listening to music. This setting lowers the dynamic range on the Arc so everything plays at about the same volume, including loud commercials.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

You can turn on Night Sound (moon icon) in the Sonos app. I keep it on with normal TV viewing and turn it off when watching movies or listening to music. This setting lowers the dynamic range on the Arc so everything plays at about the same volume, including loud commercials.

I’ll give that a try….

Ive emailed HDFury with my queries to see if they have any answers….

👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I tried the cables without the adaptors & I was still getting the sound drops, so I changed the cables again to the Cable Matters variants that HD Fury recommended, but still I get the odd sound drop, which as you can imagine is very frustrating….

HD Fury have been really helpful, but I think even they are lost for what to try next.

They could only advise me to get an HDMI switch & plug in the Sky Q UHD box into that, so that everything is working/synced with the Arcana….

I have tried to find the Roofull switcher you recommended, but I can’t locate any stock in the UK?

Do you know of any other switches which work well with the Arcana & for my setup needs?

Cheers.

Check out this thread @SeafordMick . You might not find the greatest news, but it might help you try some things and/or understand the situation a bit better. I also have a UB9000, but a G1 instead of a C1. I believe the problems would be the same for you. In a nutshell if you don’t want to try the stuff mentioned, we can get DTS conversions to Multichannel PCM with some effort (and more gear), but it always comes through as 7.1 which leads to some missing sounds. Sonos has mentioned that they are working on downmixing to 5.1, but no timetable. I’m hoping soon.

Has sonos sorted this downmixing issue out yet, does anybody know? I know since they have released basic DTS support but wondered if this issue has been fixed and if I use a blu ray which has 7.1 what will that come through as? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi there.

I was wondering if you would be able to help me (some more :grin: )

I have been in contact with HD Fury in regards to the sudden dropping of sound while watching either Sky Q or Netflix.

I had to send in photos of the display, so they could see what is causing the issue.

They have got back to me today & advised me that my HDMI cables cannot handle the bandwidth.

They have advised me to purchase this brand of cables.  Cables 

Forgive me for being naive, but these cables are quite cheap to the ones I have always used & I’m worried that I won’t receive the full audio/visual experience with my setup using these cables?

Can you explain as to why my current (decent spec) cables cannot handle the bandwidth??

Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I spoke with HD Fury again & they have said that a new update will sort out some of my issues.

They also told me to swap my HDMI cable that connects from the Arc to the Arcana, as my current cable is too high. They have advised me to use the Sonos supplied one.

I’m going to sort this out tonight & update the Arcana, hopefully most of the issues will be ironed out….

:fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 7

What cables are you currently using?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

What cables are you currently using?

I am currently using these…. Current cables

I have also used these…. Old cables

Userlevel 7

I honestly don’t know enough about HDMI cables and why some are recommended and others aren’t. But I do know that HDFury is very particular with their cable recommendations. They always recommend Cable Matters, KabelDirekt or Zeskit cables. I’m using KabelDirekt cables and they work great.

I would go ahead and get the cables they recommend and test them out. If they work, problem solved. If they don’t, you can always return them and ask HDFury what the next step is.

Userlevel 7

I think either one of these might work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Awakelion-Premium-Quality-Switcher-Support-Black/dp/B06WV5YJ6H/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Switch-4K-60hz-Projector/dp/B07VDJRQXW/