Low Volume- Sonos Arc

Userlevel 2

All of a sudden, the volume has become low on my sonos. Normally, I listen at around 20-25 but now to hear the same level, I have to increase up to 40-45. Started noticing this after the software update. Happens both with Samsung Q8FN native apps and Apple TV4K

87 replies

Userlevel 2

Does anyone else have this problem with the Arc? The volume sounds so low even though I have disabled the night mode and turned on loudness. I have to push the speaker level up to 30 to hear anything 

@GuitarSuperstar I’ve tried different ports and cables and I tried 16 bit and the sound is still incredibly low compared to the built-in apps on LG CX, 4k blu-ray player, and Xbox. My guess is it has something to do with the CX and apple TV.  I'm going to borrow my friend's 2020 Roku Ultra and see if I have the same issues.  If I don’t I'll stick with Roku until the issue is solved.  

As of February 3rd 2022 I am still experiencing this problem. I contacted a rep at Sonos and tried all of the suggested settings and resets and nothing seemed to help. My set up is LG CX TV and Sonos Arc via HDMI eARC and digital sound out set to Passthrough. I use the WebOS built in apps and If I’m using YouTube it displays that I am getting PCM and the volume is loud enough at 20/100. But when I switch to Disney Plus or Netflix and watch something in Dolby Atmos (DD+) it need to have the volume at 50/100 to be loud enough. At this point I’m not sure if it’s the sound bar, the TV or the sound output such as PCM, Dolby Atmos (DD+) etc. Very disappointed in the sound volume while watching Netflix or Disney plus which sucks because this is the only streaming services I use… Sonos please update if this is an issue on your end. 

Thanks. I’m familiar with voice control, but I just dont like it. And regarding the any infrated remote, this solution doesn’t work while my pc is connected. And yes, volumes on my pc are set to maximum volume.

An infrared ‘remote’ should work, whether your PC is connected, or nothing is connected, to the Sonos product - you just need to enable the IR sensor in the device room settings via the Sonos App.

facepalm… thank you :D

I just should follow good old RTFM rule ;). Im so embarrased :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I don’t have this issue, on either of the two Arcs I have in my home. As a result, I have to wonder if it isn’t a setup issue on the output of your TV, but without specifics, that’s merely a guess. Your best bet would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network, certainly much more so than any post here in a forum. 

Same on both my Arc and Playbar. for watching TV or movies I’ve never had the sound above about 15% of max and most of the time its at 10% of max, for playing music the highest I’ve done was 40% of max and then I stopped going higher because the lights in my roof and my windows started rattling. If I ever get the balls to try 100% volume, my neighbours will think there is a earthquake 

All of a sudden, the volume has become low on my sonos. Normally, I listen at around 20-25 but now to hear the same level, I have to increase up to 40-45. Started noticing this after the software update. Happens both with Samsung Q8FN native apps and Apple TV4K

Just got the Arc along with the gen 3 sub and surrounds. I also had the same problem and was tempted to return until I played with my setup and figures out what the issue was. Basically I had two issues. Not sure which of the two was the issuer if both were the issue. 1 I was connecting the audio via AirPlay 2 on my Apple 4K tv. 2 I also had the Arc connected to optical input via the HDMI/optical connector that came with the arc. I have an older TV so I did not think I had an Earc port. I believe when connecting to airplay it compresses the sound too much. Air ply works on my sonos 5 just fine but when connecting my system via airplay I also had to have the volume at around 70% to hear movies…never a problem with music. I decided  to unplug all the system from the power and removed the connection from the optical drive. To my surprise one of the HDMI port on my TV was an ARC not Earc, so I just plugged the HDMI to the arc port on my TV and it worked! Obviously i don’t get the full benefit of atmos Dolby until I upgrade to a new TV, but the system still sounds fantastic! I hope this helps those who have an issue.

Badge

In a way I'm glad it's not just me experiencing this. I thought I was going mad. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Me too I thought it was only me, volume I have to put very high too

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Mine too volume you have to put high up yo 60 sometimes, I thought it was the only one

Our new arc arrived today and we switched out the playbar to the arc. Nothing else changed. Volume on tv went from 10 to 40 for same volume feel.

Contemplating if it’s worth just returning the arc since for me so far the arc seems like a step down in sound to what we have had

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I can see there's a problem here. To me it seems you're a bit quick in pointing at the speakers, especially when your conclusion is that there's “a software bug effecting all sonos products". Only some people's systems seem to be affected and since Sonos is depending partly on your TV, there's another possible cause here.

My Beam and Samsung QE65Q90 are not affected.

I'm getting the same on mine too. Right now I'm listening at almost 90% with my YouTube Music account and it's not that high... My old Samsung sound bar sounds much higher than this.. If they don't get this fixed somehow I think I'll return it.

We had the same issue and just resolved it. On the mobile app, we had set the volume limit to 85% bc my daughter turned the volume up so loud one day.  As soon as we changed that to 100% (basically turned off the limit) all went back to normal. Problem solved for us!  Give it a try?

Any update on this? To watch tv I have it at close to 70% anything below 45% I can’t hear anything. Never had this issue with my playbar. Would be nice if Sonos acknowledged this issue. 

I have mine resolved for now, and not altogether sure if this was the correct fix, but it allows me to have my ARC at round 30/35% for normal listening again. 

I first went down the chat route with Sonos, the rep had me unplug everything and plug it all back in again with no improvement, I did try and tell her I'd already tried that numerous times myself...anywho.

She ran a diagnostic her end and reported that my system was not showing any issue, but with her help I did at least narrow things down a little, using Spotify and Satellite TV my volume seemed to be ok, although Netflix and YouTube the volume was terrible and needed to be cranked 70% and over....don't ask me why.

My fix was this, I went into the audio settings on my Sony Bravia TV, selected "Audio Output" then scrolled down to a setting called, "Digital Audio Out Volume" I have no idea what its function is or if it had anything to do with my issue, but it was at 50%, so I took it all the way up to max....and to my surprise, that did it.

Any update on this? To watch tv I have it at close to 70% anything below 45% I can’t hear anything. Never had this issue with my playbar. Would be nice if Sonos acknowledged this issue. 

I have mine resolved for now, and not altogether sure if this was the correct fix, but it allows me to have my ARC at round 30/35% for normal listening again. 

I first went down the chat route with Sonos, the rep had me unplug everything and plug it all back in again with no improvement, I did try and tell her I'd already tried that numerous times myself...anywho.

She ran a diagnostic her end and reported that my system was not showing any issue, but with her help I did at least narrow things down a little, using Spotify and Satellite TV my volume seemed to be ok, although Netflix and YouTube the volume was terrible and needed to be cranked 70% and over....don't ask me why.

My fix was this, I went into the audio settings on my Sony Bravia TV, selected "Audio Output" then scrolled down to a setting called, "Digital Audio Out Volume" I have no idea what its function is or if it had anything to do with my issue, but it was at 50%, so I took it all the way up to max....and to my surprise, that did it.

Thank you for the quick response. At work now but will try this later. Interesting though I have a Sony Bravia A8F and have read other forums that a lot of these issues are with Sony… but who knows. I’ve looked at other TVs but this one is only 2 yrs old and hate to upgrade again in such a short period of time. 

Thanks again! 

I notice a week ago volume suddenly lesser from before. I installed mine like 3 months ago. Now 50% volume is like 20-30% only. Big difference what’s is the issue from Sonos. Please update us.

I have the same setup as the OP. I solved this issues by going into the AppleTV4k settings, video & audio, then turned ‘Reduce Loud Noises’ to ‘Off’. I never turned this on, maybe it happened in an update. Hope this helps. 

I also have this problem i sometimes run my arc on 100% vollume i also called the help desk and they say try use the optical port instead of hdmi but find this weird because it came with this cable and you want to be able to do dolby atmos and with optical this is not possible.

Guess there is still no updates on resolving this anoying problem

I had the same problem and, for my case, I figured it out why this happened. I lowered the limit volume of my sonos arc, through the app, from 100% to 50%, I didn't remember I have done that, so I reset the limit volume to 100% and all was back to normal. Hope this can help. 

I recently purchased a Sonos Arc and I’ve been having the same issue with my Apple tv 4k.  The sound coming from my Sonos arc on my apple tv 4k is very low compared to the internal apps on my LG, 65 inch CX.  The sound is fine on my 4k blu-ray player, internal tv apps, and my xobox.  I’ve looked at all the threads I can find and can't seem to fix this issue.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this issue.?  

I had a similar issue. Muted audio and unclear voice in songs on youtube music. . Airplaying the same song directly to Sonos played the expected clear and loud levels. So the issue was not in Sonos.

Setup was Roku Ultra → via HDMI → Samsung QN85DA → via HDMI eARC → Sonos ARC .

Solution:

1. Go to Roku → Audio → - Digital output Stream to “Passthrough” 
  2. Go to Samsung or your TV and set digital Audio output to “Passthrough” as well

It’s not an Arc problem. The sources upstream are applying their logic/codecs to pass modified audio downstream. Let Arc do all the handling. 

Just upgraded from the Beam + Sub to Arc + Sub on a Bravia X950H… yep… volume on the arc needs to be 50% higher than what it was on the Beam. I have the Beam in my gaming room, and it rarely goes above 30. Arc, on average is always at around 50+.

Weird… 

Had the same problem- changed the digital audio output on the TV from the default - ‘PCM’ - to ‘bitstream’. Problem resolved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Helped you with what, exactly?

If I understand your settings, you are using the TV’s speaker with a Sonos soundbar? That already provides a center speaker?

Userlevel 7

-- and Sonos should offer an explanation. 

They have already explained the change to volume mapping here: