Low Volume- Sonos Arc

Show first post

84 replies

I also have this problem i sometimes run my arc on 100% vollume i also called the help desk and they say try use the optical port instead of hdmi but find this weird because it came with this cable and you want to be able to do dolby atmos and with optical this is not possible.

Guess there is still no updates on resolving this anoying problem

Edit: There aint even a optical port so its still not solved

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

Please check this community thread which may help you with the issue. Also, you may try to perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it works for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Disable eARC on the TV.
5. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 7

@Mb1987 Have you tried using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable? Have you performed Trueplay tuning and adjusted the EQ settings in the Sonos app? Is Night Sound turned off?

Yes all brand new but have to have it over 50% for normal listening..  Lg b9 TV eARC. 

Userlevel 2

Ironically, we have the exact opposite issue.  Amazon Fire TV Cube (2nd generation) connected to a Samsung Q9FN series TV, connected to the ARC via HDMI (from the TV to the ARC).  

The ARC is bonded to a SUB and an AMP for surround.

For all the content from the Cube, the room volume has to stay at a VERY low level (10% or less).  This results in music playing very low (before raising the volume) and the digital assistant volume to be so low that it’s almost inaudible.

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

Please check this community thread which may help you with the issue. Also, you may try to perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it works for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Disable eARC on the TV.
5. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Why would we disable eARC on the TV? Doesn’t this allow for Atmos output?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. We really appreciate your patience while we are working through this. Our Sonos engineers are investigating this issue and working for a solution that works for users experiencing the same, but we don't have any timeframe to share. Let me share the following threads in the community for your reference:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/arc-tv-sound-cuts-in-and-out-6842963
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-q90t-sound-cutting-out-anyone-else-6843526?page=2&size=25

Make sure that your TV is up to date. eARC should always be enabled if possible to get the most out of the Sonos Arc. If your TV is having trouble when eARC is enabled and you're using streaming services, you can disable the eARC from the TV settings because the streaming audio will still be compressed and you'll still get Atmos and most probably we’re investigating it.
For 4k Bluray or any hard media plugged in directly to the TV and has Atmos, always enable eARC because eARC always looks for uncompressed audio. Here are helpful videos about it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLlaGs2lhIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTD0hqJWQQ

We also recommend reaching out to your TV manufacturer for further assistance. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 7

@mbrunner What are your audio settings set to on your Apple TV? How exactly is your Apple TV connected to your TV? Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

@GuitarSuperstar Apple tv 4k is set to allow Atomos and it’s connected directly to my LG CX via a HDMI 2.1 cable.  I made sure that my Sonos controller volume limit is set to 100% and allow loudness.  Also, I made sure that the Apple tv night mode is turned off.  When I use the internal apps on my LG CX the volume is much louder and punchier with full sound.  

Userlevel 7

@mbrunner Do you have your TV’s audio settings set to “Passthrough”? Have you tried disconnecting your Apple TV from your TV and unplugging your TV, Arc, and Apple TV from power for about a minute?

@GuitarSuperstar My LG CX is set to auto but I have tried passthrough and that did not have an impact.  I unplugged everything and plugged them back in and that also didn't have an impact.  

Userlevel 7

The Apple TV 4K uses the Dolby MAT audio codec which basically uses a lossless form of PCM audio. I wonder if your TV is doing something to the multichannel PCM audio the Apple TV is sending it? 

In your TV settings, I’m assuming you have eARC turned on. Is HDMI Input Audio Format set to Bitstream?

@GuitarSuperstar thanls for the help. Yes, earc is turned on and set to bitstream.  

Userlevel 7

So strange. The only other things I can think to try is setting Audio Mode on the Apple TV to 16 bit, connecting the Apple TV to a different HDMI port on your TV, or using a different HDMI cable.

Just curious… if you change the Audio Format on the Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1, does it make a difference?

As of February 3rd 2022 I am still experiencing this problem. I contacted a rep at Sonos and tried all of the suggested settings and resets and nothing seemed to help. My set up is LG CX TV and Sonos Arc via HDMI eARC and digital sound out set to Passthrough. I use the WebOS built in apps and If I’m using YouTube it displays that I am getting PCM and the volume is loud enough at 20/100. But when I switch to Disney Plus or Netflix and watch something in Dolby Atmos (DD+) it need to have the volume at 50/100 to be loud enough. At this point I’m not sure if it’s the sound bar, the TV or the sound output such as PCM, Dolby Atmos (DD+) etc. Very disappointed in the sound volume while watching Netflix or Disney plus which sucks because this is the only streaming services I use… Sonos please update if this is an issue on your end. 

I have the exact same issue with my Sonos Arc, Sonos sub, Sony 77” A80J, and Monster Ultra High-Speed 8K Cobalt HDMI 2.1 Cable at 48 Gbps cable connected to the eARC port. Because I have Ruckus Wireless access points in my home I have to have the arc wired to my home network in order for the sub to link to it (Apparently a known bug according to Sonos support). 

Dolby 2.0 audio plays perfect and we range from 16-30 depending on the content we are watching and have zero issues. 
Dolby 5.1 or Atmos need fixing ASAP.
This weekend we watched Disney+ and Moana with our daughter and we had it up to 60-70 range in order to hear the dialogue comfortably. We watched West Side Story on HBO Max and we had it at 80 to hear the dialogue. 
I have not tried our older Apple TV. I also have a Mac mini with Plex that I have to do further testing with.

I have volume limit at 100%, Loudness and night mode turned off. Sonos is up to date. I tried using Trueplay but it didn’t help. Tried tuning trueplay with my iPad Pro (4th gen) vs. my iPhone Pro 13 but it made no difference. 

TV is set to use eARC and audio out set to pass through. Will review additional TV settings to confirm if I have things set correctly.  TV has latest March 1 update. 

As of February 3rd 2022 I am still experiencing this problem. I contacted a rep at Sonos and tried all of the suggested settings and resets and nothing seemed to help. My set up is LG CX TV and Sonos Arc via HDMI eARC and digital sound out set to Passthrough. I use the WebOS built in apps and If I’m using YouTube it displays that I am getting PCM and the volume is loud enough at 20/100. But when I switch to Disney Plus or Netflix and watch something in Dolby Atmos (DD+) it need to have the volume at 50/100 to be loud enough. At this point I’m not sure if it’s the sound bar, the TV or the sound output such as PCM, Dolby Atmos (DD+) etc. Very disappointed in the sound volume while watching Netflix or Disney plus which sucks because this is the only streaming services I use… Sonos please update if this is an issue on your end. 

It is absolutely asinine that this issue continues to exist. Along with the inconsistent LPCM audio issue and the 7.1 downmix fix seemingly MIA, Sonos has probably lost me as a customer. 

Went to the local lab today and they told me that after checking with manufacturer setting - all is ok with the ARC. 
I told them I am playing music at 80-90% of the volume at my living room and they didn’t know what to tell me… 

Thanks so much for the suggestions but nothings seems to work and everything seems to point to the driver.  Manually manipulating the touch controls didn’t help as they directly drive the Sonos volume on the app.  I tried that with the HDMI cable connected and disconnected.  The volume on the TV itself is set to zero.  I’ve tried every sound setting on the set itself.  Nothing works.

I’m planning on a move in the Spring and will probably replace my Sonos gear solely based on this problem which is impossible to live with and not being addressed by Sonos.  I’ve been a Sonos customer for the life of the company.

Userlevel 1

Does anyone else have this problem with the Arc? The volume sounds so low even though I have disabled the night mode and turned on loudness. I have to push the speaker level up to 30 to hear anything 

I don’t think it’s just Arc-related: I’ve noticed it on my Playbase, One’s and Play:5. As I say, I suspect it’s to resolve the “minimum volume is too loud at night” concerns that some owners have expressed.

Dear Sonos:    Can you confirm whether this is the case, please?

Same here.  After about three months of use, I need to increase volume to 75% just to get normal conversational level volume.  Not cool.

Same here also.  I was so excited about my Sonos surround system and it sounded wonderful.  No i have to raise the volume to over 50% to hear when watching TV

This just happened to me too. I’ve had my ARC for about two years now and use it almost exclusively with my Apple TV, which I use for all my streaming and music. I rarely use the Sonos app, except when I want a readout of the audio format of whatever I’m watching. But I’ve always noticed the volume slider and it’s generally been in the 20-30 range for almost everything from stereo TV to Atmos movies. I was on vacation the past 10 days and came home and turned the TV on and noticed there wasn’t much volume. I discovered that the volume suddenly needed to be set to about 70 for TV and about 50 for Atmos to achieve the same actual volume as I had before. I tried everything from reseting the Sonos to unplugging to retuning. And it’s the same issue with the TV’s (LG CX) built-in apps. Ultimately, I’m not really sure it matters. It’s not like I ever want it crazy loud anyway. That is, I’m never going to set it to 100 volume or even 90, so it’s generally irrelevant what a somewhat arbitrary slider number reads. Still, it’s a really strange change and I can only assume Sonos did this intentionally to have a more realistic volume range. This is clearly an issue that a lot of people have -- a sudden and drastic change in volume reading -- and Sonos should offer an explanation. 

-- and Sonos should offer an explanation. 

They have already explained the change to volume mapping here:

Fantastic, thank you! I’m surprised this didn’t make it into the thread earlier. Anyway, glad there’s a solid explanation and it makes sense. Appreciate that you pointed it out.

I am also experiencing the same issue with my arc. I have tried all the possible options multiple times. What I have observed is that sonos sounds loud for dolby Digital 2.0 format but becomes quite for any other DD+ format including Atmos. I need to to watch it at minimum 50% level to get reasonable listening volume level. I bought Sonos sub and 2 Ones SL to improve the overall sound quality of my system. I am happy with sub and sonos one SL but feel that arc is not doing Justice to over all system. Sometimes I feel my $2000+ system doesn’t sound as good as old $200 Vizio soundbar. I hope Sonos fixes this as soon as possible. 

I had similar problem. I use ARC plus 2x ONEs both as a TV (hdmi) and computer (optical) (unfortunately i have to switch manually cables due to only one hdmi input).
TV via eARC and optical runs fine, but computer sound was very low. I tried different soundcards, transmitting sound via bluetooth, different cables but nothing worked…. until I inceased the volume directly on soundbar using touch controls <facepalm>.

A remote or volume control option in app would be useful.

I’m assuming - but maybe someone from Sonos will confirm - this is so that the complaints that “the minimum volume was too low” can be marked as “resolved”.

Has it been resolved cause I’m not happy at all with my volume and I’ve spoken directly with Sonos and submitted diagnostics.  I’m disgusted with the sound volume on the Arc especially on music services as my Play 5 GEN 1 is louder !!!! 

All of a sudden, the volume has become low on my sonos. Normally, I listen at around 20-25 but now to hear the same level, I have to increase up to 40-45. Started noticing this after the software update. Happens both with Samsung Q8FN native apps and Apple TV4K

Disgusted with volume of the Arc - my Gen 1 Play 5 is louder - WTF???   Sort this out SONOS!!!