Low Volume- Sonos Arc

Show first post

84 replies

I had similar problem. I use ARC plus 2x ONEs both as a TV (hdmi) and computer (optical) (unfortunately i have to switch manually cables due to only one hdmi input).
TV via eARC and optical runs fine, but computer sound was very low. I tried different soundcards, transmitting sound via bluetooth, different cables but nothing worked…. until I inceased the volume directly on soundbar using touch controls <facepalm>.

A remote or volume control option in app would be useful.

Just to maybe assist you a little here…There is a volume control for the Arc in the Sonos App🤔?.. plus almost any infrared ‘remote’ can be setup and used to control the volume  of the Arc too, or it’s volume can be controlled using the connected TV remote over HDMI CEC and if you have an installed voice assistant (Alexa.Google) on the Arc, then something like ‘Alexa set the volume to 3’ (or any number between 1-10 inclusive)) will change its volume too. HTH.👍

I spoke with a Sonos rep and we discovered Comcast’s cable audio output (via “Settings” ) was set to PCM, not “auto”. I changed it to Auto and saw significant improvements for cable. I’m now able to hear at 25, not 50. I later played with some Samsung native apps like Netflix and saw improvement there by switching the audio on a show itself from “English Original” to “English Original 5.1”

Badge

Been having the same issue on mine, Dolby digital 2.0 is loud even at 20  and ps4 set to Bitstream dolby 5.1 is normal at 35 (perfect level) but everything else is normal at 40-50 and even at 100 is feels capped.

Support has been disappointing so far, really feel let down by the brand here.

Device im running is a LG C9 fully updated, set to pass through and earc on.

might have to return the lot at this rate as it seems zero chance of a fix if this has been going on for a year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m assuming - but maybe someone from Sonos will confirm - this is so that the complaints that “the minimum volume was too low” can be marked as “resolved”.

Been having the same issue on mine, Dolby digital 2.0 is loud even at 20  and ps4 set to Bitstream dolby 5.1 is normal at 35 (perfect level) but everything else is normal at 40-50 and even at 100 is feels capped.

might have to return the lot at this rate as it seems zero chance of a fix if this has been going on for a year.

Strange, only you mention in the link below that you recently bought a Beam to use with the C9 and you’ve only just joined the forum too - how come no complaints here before about your Arc?

Badge

I have noticed this also. Previously had a beam which I would rarely need the volume to be above 30 percent. Now with the arc, I need it to at least 50 percent. I have an LG Oled c9. I wasn't sure if it was the arc that was faulty or just had less volume then the beam but double the price of the beam this can not be the case. Hopefully this will be fixed soon with an update.

Badge

Strange, only you mention in the link below that you recently bought a Beam to use with the C9 and you’ve only just joined the forum too - how come no complaints here before about your Arc?

Because I got my sonos product this month, since having these issues I’ve been looking for fixes and as I look find more and more people with the same issue with no fix or decent response.

No idea where you got the arc idea from but people here are mentioning the same issue with the beam, so it’s obviously a cross platform issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have found this issue also, I find myself constantly increasing the volume for low, or mid volume. But all of sudden the Highs are too loud!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

I have the same issue with my New arc, works fine since 2 weeks and now volume are very low in netflix or myCANAL and high in YouTube for example.

applications are in my Apple TV 4K.

the only things who change is my Arcana HD fury who receive the HDMI for the sound, I don’t use my Sony TV who have not eArc.

i can’t activate the pathrough mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does anyone else have this problem with the Arc? The volume sounds so low even though I have disabled the night mode and turned on loudness. I have to push the speaker level up to 30 to hear anything 

I don’t think it’s just Arc-related: I’ve noticed it on my Playbase, One’s and Play:5. As I say, I suspect it’s to resolve the “minimum volume is too loud at night” concerns that some owners have expressed.

Dear Sonos:    Can you confirm whether this is the case, please?

Same problems here - output from the television using HDMI eArc needs to be turned up to 80% or more to be a usable volume.  This happens with anything from the television - AppleTV, over the air content, DVD, etc. The Arc playing music along with other speakers needs to be turned way down to normal volume levels.  This seems to have started after a previous update and persists to this day.  Nothing helps - powering everything off, swapping HDMI cables, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In the Arc thread you posted “I've got the same problem on mine". Not being clear about the device you actually own and cross posting your problem can lead people to the conclusion you are  trolling.

It seaams you're not, so people can best help you in your own thread.

Badge

In the Arc thread you posted “I've got the same problem on mine". Not being clear about the device you actually own and cross posting your problem can lead people to the conclusion you are  trolling.

It seaams you're not, so people can best help you in your own thread.

To me this looks like a cross product fault on the products, the fact that on TV normal view the sound peaks at 80db at 100% but on spotify app from the same tv at 50% I get 92db, that’s a huge difference.

Clearly the speakers themselves are capable but I suspect there is a software bug effecting all sonos products. When you read text from Reddit and this site people mention several brands of TV on both the beam and the arc. 

Until the community shout loudly enough there won’t be a fix, instead I imagine internally they are blaming TV manufacturers etc. Which I see a lot in electric cars - charger company blames the car while the one blame the charger. result is very little action until buybacks are used. then suddenly they work together to find both are partially at fault.

That is the sad truth of for profit companies they are hear to make money. that said I like sonos products the build quality is nice, I like the idea of building up a system over time, sound quality is good to my ears - it’s just this issue that’s ruined the experience, it feels like the systems been kneecapped because of it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It hasn’t been any updates about the low volume on arc 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes I would like to know too!!

Userlevel 7

@Mb1987 What model is your TV? How is the Arc connected to the TV? Are you watching a stereo 2.0 or multichannel 5.1 source?

I spoke with a Sonos rep and we discovered Comcast’s cable audio output (via “Settings” ) was set to PCM, not “auto”. I changed it to Auto and saw significant improvements for cable. I’m now able to hear at 25, not 50. I later played with some Samsung native apps like Netflix and saw improvement there by switching the audio on a show itself from “English Original” to “English Original 5.1”

Same issue here...sonos customer service was pretty good with looking at 4 diagnostics from my system...they didn’t see any faults on the diagnostics and one CS rep told me that this is unheard of and said it was a defective unit...so i get another ARC….no change….the technician said it probably has something to do with software up stream and has seen this issue with some other customers….thanks everyone in this forum as I have tried many different options here….I will keep an eye on this as I think Sonos should have fix here!!

Badge

I can see there's a problem here. To me it seems you're a bit quick in pointing at the speakers, especially when your conclusion is that there's “a software bug effecting all sonos products". Only some people's systems seem to be affected and since Sonos is depending partly on your TV, there's another possible cause here.

My Beam and Samsung QE65Q90 are not affected.

maybe, but faults are really 100% hit rates, even major recalls 75% of people wont have experienced the issue. yeah it could be an issue with the TV but then again LG are just as likely to say that’s it’s not an issue with their TV because it works with other bars etc. Probably like the electric car issue - both parties have a part to play.

Only sonos knows but their customer service has no been helpful atm, I’ve got another call with them today to try an progress the issue but I’m quickly coming up to the end of the return period - ideally i like to keep the system so hoping that eventually they say something like they know what the issue is an working on a fix which I would happily take but atm it’s is night mode turned on, turn it on and off etc, send us a session number etc.  That’s why I’m frustrated.

Have an ARC for 2 years ….no issues….then one day it disappeared from my system...I go into the app and find it and reinstall...pretty easy to do….that’s when I discovered the low volume...sonos said it was a faulty ARC since the diagnostics did not show any problems...tried everything to get the low volume back to where I used to listen...about 23-25...now have to crank it to 55-60 to listen to music or TV...I’M ONLY 59 and hearing didn’t just go on me….So I swap out the ARC and get a new one…..NO CHANGE!!

I have Sony Oled..2 years old…..let us know if anyone gets a fix for this!!

@GuitarSuperstar we have a Sony KD65XF900 (hated and only non Samsung product left to be replaced) the arc as I say arrived today and is connected via a brand new hdmi cable. The source is 5.1. 
We have tried normal tv, multiple streaming sources and music services with the same result. 

Exactly the same issue here, just happened about a week or so ago, I need my volume turned up to around 70 for it to be quiet but audible, given up trying to resolve the issue and just turned the speaker off altogether, back to TV speakers now.

This thing is just to glitchy, with Google assistant randomly poping up for no reason, and always having to do restarts for volume dropping out completely,  I have another post on here regarding the poor Bass, fed up now, overall I've been quite disappointed with my Sonos ARC, time to see if I can return it for a refund.

Any update on this? To watch tv I have it at close to 70% anything below 45% I can’t hear anything. Never had this issue with my playbar. Would be nice if Sonos acknowledged this issue. 

This may be me misunderstanding,  but .... what has the volume on the TV got to do with anything? Where do the 10 and 40 come from?

If you turn the volume up close to max in the Sonos app, is the Arc still quiet, or much louder than you would ever want to listen to it?

I’ve tried everything from settings within the TV, settings in the Sonos app and when I use my Apple TV the settings within there...still horrible. I’m better off using the Sonos Move… 

never had any issues with my playbar and extremely disappointed in the ARC. 

Does anyone else have this problem with the Arc? The volume sounds so low even though I have disabled the night mode and turned on loudness. I have to push the speaker level up to 30 to hear anything 

I don’t think it’s just Arc-related: I’ve noticed it on my Playbase, One’s and Play:5. As I say, I suspect it’s to resolve the “minimum volume is too loud at night” concerns that some owners have expressed.

Dear Sonos:    Can you confirm whether this is the case, please?

Same here.  After about three months of use, I need to increase volume to 75% just to get normal conversational level volume.  Not cool.