LG C9 + Arc + UB820 / Multichannel PCM for DTS Blu-Ray discs

Show first post

320 replies

I have a LG E9 (basically a C9) and a Sonos Arc. Set up is working correctly and normal settings, eARC on and pass through on, Dolby Atmos working correctly.

I have a USB with a couple of films that have DTS and am using the internal LG video player. I can’t get it to output in surround sound, I will get silence in Pass Through (as expected) and Auto. Changing to Digital Sound Out to PCM will give sound but only Stereo PCM 2.0.

Any ideas how to get surround sound or is it just wait for the DTS Sonos update? I have a Apple TV 4K, Chromecast Ultra, MacBook Pro and PS5 at my disposal if that helps. Need to get a Blu-ray player?

Edit: Used MacBook Pro via HDMI with Infuse app with eArc on and Pass Through and it seems to be giving PCM 7.1 (definitely sounds a lot better at least). PCM and Auto give Stereo PCM 2.0

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

And thanks for the tips @Laird M Malamed . Good to hear that it all works great on your Oppo! Wish I could find one of those...maybe I’ll look into acquiring one used, but we’ll see...kind of expensive..and used haha. So does the Oppo convert it to Multichannel PCM 5.1 correctly from DTS-HD Master 5.1, or is that still incorrectly coming through as Multichannel PCM 7.1?

Still producing 7.1 for DTS discs but correctly sending out Dolby channels (including Atmos all the way to the Arc with True HD). I have not done a lot of sampling to be accurate - just a few discs so far. Will test more next weekend.

Badge

Would this Hd Fury Arcana allow the beam 2 to accept DTS-HD ?

Great thread. I tried to fix that exact problem and spent hours (stretched over a couple of days) trying to fix this issue. ARC & 2022 LG OLED & Panasonic player. As a bonus I have all stuff running through a Marantz Cinema 70S AV receiver - using it as HDMI switch. Makes things even more complicated. After reading all of this I tried using my PS5 as UHD player. Runs through the Marantz to the LG TV and then to my ARC. 

Using the Panasonic player: 2.0 PCM. 

Using the PS5: 7.1 PCM (but no Dolby Vision etc) 

Should have tried this earlier… it’s a decent compromise for now, I guess and hope the next soundbar from Sonos will support DTS:X. 

Thanks everyone who contributed. Really helpful. 
As a bonus I have a new problem now: since tonight and since running the new setup my WiFi keeps breaking down. Once I turn off the ARC it comes back. Haha. Welcome to hell. 

Userlevel 7

No Sonos product supports lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X. Sonos only supports lossy DTS Digital Surround audio.

But, yes, the Arcana would allow you to play DTS Digital Surround or multichannel PCM from DTS-encoded discs. I use an Arcana with my UB820 and it works great. Multichannel PCM audio sounds just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio.

Userlevel 2

I’m running an LG C9 with a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player, Sonos Arc + Sub gen 3 + One SL surrounds. The lack of DTS support on the Arc has been frustrating for non Dolby encoded Blu-ray discs, so I have been eagerly awaiting the multichannel PCM update.

It’s finally arrived (thanks, Sonos!) and I tried playing a DTS encoded Blu-ray and… no dice. Still stereo PCM 2.0. Has anyone running a similar set-up managed to get 5.1 PCM output from the Arc?

The C9 supports eARC and multichannel PCM, I’m using 48gbps HDMI cables that support up to 8k60Hz, all of the devices are up to date, I have the C9 set to PCM with eArc enabled, DTS output set to PCM on the UB820… I’m really at a loss here. Any ideas or suggested settings?

I’m assuming everyone with this setup got this issue sorted now?

I don’t get it I have tried exactly what is said and I have the LG C9 and UB820 with the Sonos Arc and I am still getting no sound with the unsupported tv audio message. 
I tried the above and turning EARC off and nothing…

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t get it I have tried exactly what is said and I have the LG C9 and UB820 with the Sonos Arc and I am still getting no sound with the unsupported tv audio message. 

There may be a few other settings you need to tweak with. Do you wanna post your settings and we can take a look?

There may be a few other settings you need to tweak with. Do you wanna post your settings and we can take a look?

These are the settings that I have tried to match what was said above but doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me

Badge

No Sonos product supports lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X. Sonos only supports lossy DTS Digital Surround audio.

But, yes, the Arcana would allow you to play DTS Digital Surround or multichannel PCM from DTS-encoded discs. I use an Arcana with my UB820 and it works great. Multichannel PCM audio sounds just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio.

Thanks for the reply G.S, first off what does lossy mean? 

Also my PS4 is playing the dts blu rays through the beam2 at multichannel pcm 7.1, is this format better than dts surround anyway??

I wonder what the steps in sound quality are, from the worst to the best???

I.e from basic phono stereo to atmos/dts-x? including this pcm? lpcm? dolby digital, dd+, truehd, dts surround, dts-hd ect. ect.??????

Please educate me anyone…..

Thanks m

Just spent the last 2 hours reading all these posts to understand all the obstacles that we can face while trying to get the best possible audio experience with the Sonos Arc.

My setup provides me with Dolby Digital 5.1 output from the Apple TV (not the 4K model) for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crave, Apple TV+. My TV provider (Bell Fibe in Canada) also gives me Dolby Digital 5.1 on the Sonos Arc as well as the Nintendo Switch.

The only device that isn't able to give me anything else that Stereo PCM was my BluRay player (Sony BDP-6500) which I just upgraded to the Sony BDP-X700 thinking that it would solve the problem... It didn't!

My TV is the LG65EG9600 which doesn't have eARC, port 2 is ARC only. All my devices are on a HDMI switch and the output goes to HDMI port 1. The Sonos ARC is connected to HDMI port 2 to get the ARC capabilities.

I checked the supported formats for that TV model on the rtings Web site and it seems to be able to support both DTS and Dolby Digital in 5.1 Passthrough. I want to be able to get something better than 2.0 PCM but I'm not sure if my only option is to buy an audio extractor like the HD Fury or an equivalent.

My HDMI switch is from EZCOO but doesn't do the audio extraction. They do have another device that does this which I could put in between the Sonos and the LG TV a bit like the Arcana…

Any suggestions before I go and add another device in the audio chain for the BD player? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@fabian You could set the DTS setting in your second screenshot back to PCM rather Bitstream but I don’t know that it matters, my TV is also a Panasonic and I think the two play nicer together than another TV might so it might do. The app will just show Stereo PCM but get a disc with a good DTS track and find a good action scene. You should notice a difference. I would try with something a bit newer to test with and bump the volume of your surrounds a bit.

They added this quite some time ago. The first Divergent movie had a DTS based track and when I replayed it at some stage I notice I was getting a decent surround sound experience.

This is the EZCOO switch with eARC Audio Extraction that I'm looking at right now

https://www.easycoolav.com/products/4k-120hz-hdmi-21-switch-switch-4x1-earc-audio-extractor-vrr-allm-switcher

Thanks. I tried - it‘s the 8K Z2 (OLED 77Z29LA) but I can‘t seem to find it. As it works with the PS5 (and doesn‘t with my Panasonic UHD player) I assumed it’s not the TV. But yeah, LOTS of settings to cross check. 

Userlevel 2

So I finally got around to putting in a ticket to Panasonic for this issue, and have received a reply which states the following:

“As I am aware, the player can only send the multi channel audio to an audio device connected via the secondary DHMI, Optical or Analogue connections (RCA).

However, I will send your query further to our technical department and will reply to you as soon as I have an answer.”

Can anyone here confirm if they have successfully gotten multichannel PCM out of the UB820 with the AV HDMI, either using an HD Fury or a different TV? I’m pretty sure what the support agent says isn’t true, but I would like someone to confirm that it isn’t true before I get back to them to state as much.

Userlevel 7

@Surge My UB820 is connected from the HDMI audio/video out port to the HDFury Arcana and I get multichannel PCM audio playing out of the Arc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You are a legend Laird. 

I've got all my fingers crossed that you get something back from Panasonic suggesting they accept the problem is theirs and they intend to fix it. 

Thank you!

No news or reply to my providing more info from Panasonic yet though. Fingers crossed indeed.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey all,

Has anyone yet got round the issue of DTS being unsupported when you have eARC turned on?

I have a B9 (which supports DTS), but the only way I can get DTS is either turning off eARC, or changing Secondary Audio (on the blu ray player) to On - but then that removes Atmos for those discs.

Funnily enough, when I switch the audio to play through the TV, it all works fine. So maybe the issue is partly on Sonos’s side too?

Do I have any other options apart from toggling eARC on/off every time?

EDIT: Also, I tried it with another Blu ray player, and still had the same issue. So I’m not convinced this is a handshake issue with the TV and Blu ray player - I think there’s a separate issue happening.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I thought I saw someone with a B9 got DTS 5.1/7.1 to work, but maybe I read that wrong (just with eArc off).

Yep, B9 works like a charm, but only if you turn eARC off. It’s a right pain having to keep toggling it back and forwards.

I have tried it with other Panasonic Blu Ray players though and have the same issue, and when I dug into it further I have a sneaky suspicion that something’s not right on Sonos side either. But I’ve not got round to going through support with them about it.

@Surge My UB820 is connected from the HDMI audio/video out port to the HDFury Arcana and I get multichannel PCM audio playing out of the Arc.

I too am also getting 7.1 audio from the 820 through a DR 4K HDMI through my LG to my Sonos Arc. The only time I get 2.0 audio is when the source material is in 2.0 format.

After Panasonic asked for more info on my ticket, they have not further responded.

Hi I'm also getting 7.1 using the arcana. I've noticed today there has been an update on the c9. 5.00.30 not sure if it's anything to do with this though.