Answered

DTS on sonos coming soon

• 19 September 2021
  • 65 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

B9 and C9 can pass DTS as have the codecs. C1, CX new ones etc had codecs removed. 

Do you think LG realizes how much stress and frustration they have caused so many with lack of DTS support? I had no idea how many of my blu-rays are some form of DTS only in English but DD 5.1 for other languages on the same disc for some strange reason. Also, many of the newly 4K remastered Blu-rays come in DTS only too. 

Wondering if the codecs can be added to the C1, CX via firmware at some point? I guess if it could, LG would have added it already…like they did with older models.

At least Sonos finally came around to realizing DTS-less misery for so many of its customers. Very happy they took the effort and cost to add DTS 👍🏼👍🏼

If only I knew what I have had to learn the hard way, just a few months ago when I spent thousands and purchased all of this new gear that something that costs $20, a 4K UHD Blu-ray DTS only Disc, could cause so much frustration.  

On the flip side. LG CX, Sonos Arc 5.1 and Dolby Atmos blu-rays are WOWx 10 ! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

What player have you got, as you be able to convert it to multichannel pcm. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

What player have you got, as you be able to convert it to multichannel pcm. 

Yes. I ended up buying a second Blu-ray player ( Sony X700/M) that does pass-through LCPM through the LG CX TV to the Sonos Arc. This is an excellent work-around.

My first blu-ray player purchase til this day, even after Sonos ARC firmware updates supporting LCPM and now DTS, the Panasonic DP-UB820, will not pass DTS or LCPM through the LG CX to the Sonos ARC. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok so I've updated my Sonos app tonight to include the DTS support but it's still not working. When I play Alien 4K Disc on my Panasonic player it still says Stereo PCM on the app as before. What's going wrong here? 😪😭😢

Userlevel 7

Ok so I've updated my Sonos app tonight to include the DTS support but it's still not working. When I play Alien 4K Disc on my Panasonic player it still says Stereo PCM on the app as before. What's going wrong here? 😪😭😢

Be sure the DTS setting on the Panasonic player is set to Bitstream and set the Secondary Audio setting to ON.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Be sure the DTS setting on the Panasonic player is set to Bitstream and set the Secondary Audio setting to ON.

That doesn't work either. It still says Stereo PCM. If I change DTS setting to PCM it then says on the Sonos app Dolby Digital 5.1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That doesn't work either. It still says Stereo PCM. If I change DTS setting to PCM it then says on the Sonos app Dolby Digital 5.1

Can someone tell which settings these need to be set at to get DTS 5.1 working. Thanks

Userlevel 7

@joanna72 What specific model TV do you own? Can you send screen shots of the audio settings on your TV?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@joanna72 What specific model TV do you own? Can you send screen shots of the audio settings on your TV?

The TV is a Sony Bravia 4K VH2 2021 model. I didn't think tv sound settings mattered.

Pretty excited about this update, any idea when it'll happen (outside of the vague "later this year"?)

Badge

@GuitarSuperstarThanks for your description above! For players able to output DTS:X as multichannel PCM (e.g., some UHD players), do you think the better sound quality is going to be via multichannel PCM, or the (lossy) DTS Digital Surround? I guess maybe it depends on the quality of the player’s mixing to LPCM (in particular I have the Sony X800M2 so I’m most curious about that one, but also considering a UB820 in another setup)? Of course, once the feature is available from Sonos I guess I could try it both ways - but am curious in the meantime :grinning:

Badge

On a related note (and feel free to ignore if it takes the thread off topic), does anyone have latest word on the Sonos fix/improvements to handling LPCM 7.1? (it’s related to the above b/c today several players can output DTS as multichannel PCM - but sometimes it’s LPCM 7.1 even when the source is 5.1!).

I particularly like this line:

But ultimately, use your ears to determine what sounds the best to you.

Hey folks,

Can anyone help?

I have Sonos Beam Gen 1, Sony Bravia XR55 A80J, I have a passthrough setting, which I can enable in the Google TV sound settings menu, but..…I've tried to watch content from Sony's Bravia Core HD streaming service, the audio is not coming through.

The formats are DTS, IMAX DTS etc, but so far have not been able to make it work.

Not an issue for the vast majority of what we watch, and the content on the Bravia Core service usually has another non-dts audio stream, and, if I disable the passthrough, the TV will decode to stereo.

Just seems that either I'm doing something wrong, I've misunderstood, or the update hasn't worked.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Hey folks,

Can anyone help?

I have Sonos Beam Gen 1, Sony Bravia XR55 A80J, I have a passthrough setting, which I can enable in the Google TV sound settings menu, but..…I've tried to watch content from Sony's Bravia Core HD streaming service, the audio is not coming through.

The formats are DTS, IMAX DTS etc, but so far have not been able to make it work.

Not an issue for the vast majority of what we watch, and the content on the Bravia Core service usually has another non-dts audio stream, and, if I disable the passthrough, the TV will decode to stereo.

Just seems that either I'm doing something wrong, I've misunderstood, or the update hasn't worked.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Is the Beam running on S1 or S2? If you you toggle eARC on or off, does it make any difference?

In the TV settings, be sure to set Digital Audio Out to Auto 1 and Passthrough to Auto.