Answered

DTS on sonos coming soon

• 19 September 2021
  • 65 replies

Hi all. Is it true or has anyone heard that DTS will be coming soon by the end of the year ?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1631624400

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 September 2021, 09:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Badge

Have just discovered this thread whilst trying to test DTS through my setup. I have the (dreaded) UB820 player and a Panasonic HX940 series TV. My Sonos setup in the room is a Playbar and Sub.

After much huffing and puffing and panicking about the performance of the Blu-ray player (after reading this thread!), I eventually deduced that the TV was my weak link. It would happily passthrough Dolby 5.1 (audio out from player via HDMI and then from TV to Playbar via optical) but DTS was showing as PCM Stereo in the Sonos app.

Did some digging around and found that the TV doesn’t support DTS. So I tested running the optical cable direct from the UB820 to the Playbar and it worked flawlessly.

Now I just need to order a second optical cable and remember to switch them over in the back of the Playbar when playing physical media. As much as I might like to use this as an excuse for a new TV, I don’t think it will fly...

Have just discovered this thread whilst trying to test DTS through my setup. I have the (dreaded) UB820 player and a Panasonic HX940 series TV. My Sonos setup in the room is a Playbar and Sub.

After much huffing and puffing and panicking about the performance of the Blu-ray player (after reading this thread!), I eventually deduced that the TV was my weak link. It would happily passthrough Dolby 5.1 (audio out from player via HDMI and then from TV to Playbar via optical) but DTS was showing as PCM Stereo in the Sonos app.

Did some digging around and found that the TV doesn’t support DTS. So I tested running the optical cable direct from the UB820 to the Playbar and it worked flawlessly.

Now I just need to order a second optical cable and remember to switch them over in the back of the Playbar when playing physical media. As much as I might like to use this as an excuse for a new TV, I don’t think it will fly...

You probably can get an optical switch as a good compromise. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

👍🏻

I want to try the optical cable too with the UB820 to Sonos Arc to bypass my TV for direct DTS from the UB820 to the ARC.

What settings did you change in the UB820 to split audio to optical ? Also does your TV support eARC?

P.S. If you do spring for a new TV ( good time of year to do it with all these sales), my own lessons learned--make sure it supports all forms of DTS and DD. The newer Sony TVs seems to support both from the little I've investigated since I stumbled upon this DTS-less brouhaha after I made all my purchases. 

It’s taken too long for Sonos to bring DTS to the playbar and beam. But I’m so pleased to have it even in its basic format.

I can now play 4K ultra Blu-Ray with 5.1 surround sound. James Bond Skyfall just sounds amazing. 

I’m using:

sound: playbar, Symfonisk surrounds and sub. 
tv: LG OLED55C7
blu-ray player: Panasonic UB154EB

What player have you got, as you be able to convert it to multichannel pcm. 

Yes. I ended up buying a second Blu-ray player ( Sony X700/M) that does pass-through LCPM through the LG CX TV to the Sonos Arc. This is an excellent work-around.

My first blu-ray player purchase til this day, even after Sonos ARC firmware updates supporting LCPM and now DTS, the Panasonic DP-UB820, will not pass DTS or LCPM through the LG CX to the Sonos ARC. 

@LBJ2, looks like we have been dealing with the same frustration that comes along with the Arc 5.1/CX/UB820 set up. I have been going back and forth regarding whether to get the Arcana to try and fix the issue for DTS blu rays. Like you did, I figured it would be much cheaper and easier to simply get another blu ray player to use as a workaround instead of the Arcana. I picked up the Sony UBP x700/M the other day. However, I’m still getting Stereo PCM in my Sonos app for DTS discs. I’ve tried several combinations of settings on both the x700 and my TV. Would you mind sharing your settings for the x700 and your TV so I can see what I might be doing wrong? I would very much appreciate any insight! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

What player have you got, as you be able to convert it to multichannel pcm. 

Yes. I ended up buying a second Blu-ray player ( Sony X700/M) that does pass-through LCPM through the LG CX TV to the Sonos Arc. This is an excellent work-around.

My first blu-ray player purchase til this day, even after Sonos ARC firmware updates supporting LCPM and now DTS, the Panasonic DP-UB820, will not pass DTS or LCPM through the LG CX to the Sonos ARC. 

@LBJ2, looks like we have been dealing with the same frustration that comes along with the Arc 5.1/CX/UB820 set up. I have been going back and forth regarding whether to get the Arcana to try and fix the issue for DTS blu rays. Like you did, I figured it would be much cheaper and easier to simply get another blu ray player to use as a workaround instead of the Arcana. I picked up the Sony UBP x700/M the other day. However, I’m still getting Stereo PCM in my Sonos app for DTS discs. I’ve tried several combinations of settings on both the x700 and my TV. Would you mind sharing your settings for the x700 and your TV so I can see what I might be doing wrong? I would very much appreciate any insight! 

Just a few settings to change should get you there. This is how I have it set up.

1. Everything going through eARC on the CX TV
  2. Make sure your Sonos, TV and Player have the latest firmware
  3. Set the CX TV Sound/Additional Settings/Digital Sound Out to “Passthrough”
  4. The Sony player Audio Settings/Digital Audio Output can be set to  “Auto” 
  • Initially I set the Sony player Digital Audio Output to PCM but since some firmware updates seems “Auto” brings multichannel PCM 7.1 too.
  • If I leave the CX TV set to passthrough I can also hear Dolby Atmos Blu-rays from the Panasonic player which I have in HDMI 3 and multichannel PCM 7.1 from DTS Blu-rays through the Sony player in HDMI port 4

Thank you so much! I'm getting multichannel PCM 7.1 with those settings (kept it on auto on the x700 for now). You made my weekend! The bizarre thing is that I definitely tried those settings before, made sure the new blu ray player had updated software, and made sure the Sonos system was updated. Since I have my tv set to auto update, I didn't check it. After your message, I looked in my tv settings and auto update was still on. However, there was a note that said the tv had been updated and the install would occur with the next restart. Restarted the tv and install complete. So either this update occurred at an extremely coincidental time, or there is an issue with the auto update that required me to trigger it by opening the setting. Nevertheless, I'm super relieved not to see the dreaded "Stereo PCM" on my Sonos app. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thank you so much! I'm getting multichannel PCM 7.1 with those settings (kept it on auto on the x700 for now). You made my weekend! The bizarre thing is that I definitely tried those settings before, made sure the new blu ray player had updated software, and made sure the Sonos system was updated. Since I have my tv set to auto update, I didn't check it. After your message, I looked in my tv settings and auto update was still on. However, there was a note that said the tv had been updated and the install would occur with the next restart. Restarted the tv and install complete. So either this update occurred at an extremely coincidental time, or there is an issue with the auto update that required me to trigger it by opening the setting. Nevertheless, I'm super relieved not to see the dreaded "Stereo PCM" on my Sonos app. 

Woot Woot 🤩

Multichannel PCM 7.1 is like a breath of fresh air when that sound stage suddenly opens up across your room after suffering from PCM stereo. I know that feeling well. Enjoy!  

Hey folks,

Can anyone help?

I have Sonos Beam Gen 1, Sony Bravia XR55 A80J, I have a passthrough setting, which I can enable in the Google TV sound settings menu, but..…I've tried to watch content from Sony's Bravia Core HD streaming service, the audio is not coming through.

The formats are DTS, IMAX DTS etc, but so far have not been able to make it work.

Not an issue for the vast majority of what we watch, and the content on the Bravia Core service usually has another non-dts audio stream, and, if I disable the passthrough, the TV will decode to stereo.

Just seems that either I'm doing something wrong, I've misunderstood, or the update hasn't worked.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Hey folks,

Can anyone help?

I have Sonos Beam Gen 1, Sony Bravia XR55 A80J, I have a passthrough setting, which I can enable in the Google TV sound settings menu, but..…I've tried to watch content from Sony's Bravia Core HD streaming service, the audio is not coming through.

The formats are DTS, IMAX DTS etc, but so far have not been able to make it work.

Not an issue for the vast majority of what we watch, and the content on the Bravia Core service usually has another non-dts audio stream, and, if I disable the passthrough, the TV will decode to stereo.

Just seems that either I'm doing something wrong, I've misunderstood, or the update hasn't worked.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Is the Beam running on S1 or S2? If you you toggle eARC on or off, does it make any difference?

In the TV settings, be sure to set Digital Audio Out to Auto 1 and Passthrough to Auto.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does anyone know (or have this same problem) why I can only get DTS if I turn off ‘eARC’ on the LG B9?

Surely this is a bug? Seems a bit weird that DTS comes up as unsupported audio when eARC is on, but appears all fine (and in 5.1) when it’s off.

It’s not the end of the world (much prefer this to no DTS support at all), but it’s a bit annoying having to keep switching it on/off every time I play DTS content.

Does anyone know (or have this same problem) why I can only get DTS if I turn off ‘eARC’ on the LG B9?

Surely this is a bug? Seems a bit weird that DTS comes up as unsupported audio when eARC is on, but appears all fine (and in 5.1) when it’s off.

It’s not the end of the world (much prefer this to no DTS support at all), but it’s a bit annoying having to keep switching it on/off every time I play DTS content.

This link may help explain it for you…

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/all-earc-tvs-come-without-dts-2021.3180506/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This link may help explain it for you…

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/all-earc-tvs-come-without-dts-2021.3180506/

I’m not sure whether I misread that post you linked to, but my TV is the B9 so supports DTS passthrough and eARC.

So it should be playing DTS without me needing to turn eARC off.

I’m not sure whether I misread that post you linked to, but my TV is the B9 so supports DTS passthrough and eARC.

So it should be playing DTS without me needing to turn eARC off.

Maybe it’s an issue with the TV firmware then? I have the LG C9 TV, firmware version 05.10.25 and DTS 5.1 works whether I set HDMI-2 to Arc or eARC. (I have my Digital Sound Out set to pass-through and the DTS codec is set on the Blu-ray player in my case).

Hello, I’m excited to get DTS working on some of my movies, but for some reason not all of them work. DTS-MA 5.1 movies ouput DTS 5.1 Surround with no issues. However, when I play DTS-MA 7.1 movies, I get Dolby Digital 2.1. Any ideas why? I assumed both DTS-MA 5.1 and DTS-MA 7.1 would downgrade to DTS 5.1 Surround. Thanks in advanced.

Here’s my setup

TV: Sony X900H, passthrough enabled in audio settings

Soundbar: Sonos Arc plugged in eARC input

Source: MakeMKV Bluray rips running on my NAS

Software: Plex in native TV software, had to change output to optical to get any 5.1 audio