Control all grouped Sonos using TV remote control (via Playbar)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

137 replies

I already own a Playbar and recently purchased a Play 1. One thing I find invaluable is being able to control the Playbar using the TV remote, even if playing music. It is very intuitive and easy to use.

What I've noticed however is that now when grouped with the play 1 the TV remote volume control only manages the Playbar vs. the whole group volume.

Is there a way to add an option to have the TV remote control either only the Playbar or the whole group volume once grouped?

Would help to extend the handy and intuitive control the bring the volume up and down across the rooms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Its a design oversight and an awful setup, my girfriend hates it because she cant control the volume on the TV without asking me to use my phone to change the surround speakers.

Are you sure you have the rear speakers set up as surrounds? My TV remote turns up/down the volume of my Playbase and rear surround One’s without needing to touch the app on my phone.
As stated, if you have indeed setup surround speakers, they will be controlled by the remote's volume. This thread is about grouped speakers. Methinks you need to configure your system correctly.

A workaround is that you use the APIs. Eg. Use a hue remote for volume up and down. And then. Use nodered to interact with the Sonos api. Then issue is solved...

This feature makes all the sense in the world. “Group?” Yes. “Group?” No. Easy. But, I have noticed that even changing my router’s password will take me a few hours to get the whole system working again. It is ridiculous. I will NEVER purchase another Sonos product again. Simple.

This is a bit unfair. Sure there are bugs. And changing the WiFi password should work. But for the rest the stability is pretty amazing

Sonos employees are marked as such you paranoid nitwit.

Also, this thread is 6 years old, has 129 posts and at least half of them are responses.  That 10 people per year, and one of those is you.  So the need for this is not exactly burning up the internet.

Classic reply from another troll/under cover employee with 22893 replies lol.

I am thinking the Samsung looks the best bet Samsung HW-Q950A Dolby Atmos soundbar review | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)

Classic reply from another troll/under cover employee with 22893 replies lol.

I am thinking the Samsung looks the best bet Samsung HW-Q950A Dolby Atmos soundbar review | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)

Nope, not an employee.  You're still paranoid, though. 

And still a nitwit.

But please, buy the Samsung.  Then we won't have to see your yearly temper tantrum in here.

Use a different remote. There are a number which act on the Sonos group volume. 

Do some research. You could even simply read this thread ...

Big disappointment. I got two new One speakers and am also dissatisfied with the surround sound and rather made a group comprised of the playbar and a studio L-R pair. TV Remote only controls the playbar volume and I’m desperately trying to find a solution before I decide on returning them. Anyone find a work-around??
As they are 'Grouped' rooms, rather than 'Bonded' surrounds their volume controls are separate. The group volume is controllable via the Sonos App, but you can also create an Alexa 'enabled' Group in the Amazon Alexa App and together with the Sonos Skill and an echo dot, change the 'Group' volume using voice control. Simply set the PlayBar and its partner Sonos Room as the 'preferred' speakers in the Alexa Group and ensure the group is 'enabled' by the Echo dot in the same room.

It works well and gives you the option to mute/unmute the audio or set a volume between 0 and 100% in increments of 10% across both or each individual Sonos room... so no need to reach for a remote control at all.

I will just add that a similar thing can be achieved with a Logitech harmony remote or Hub, if your TV is supported by Harmony. Most TV's are if they are infrared controlled.

Hope that assists.

Hello, I’m wondering  if that feature will be there or not one day. I guess Sonos could give the option to customer being “yes/no” group volume audio control via the soundbar.

I understand is not a priority but will help few or many of us.   

The sonos app provide a way to control the group audio volume, why not from a remote control connected to the soundbar ? 

happy friday to all 

Indeed it is. I’ll also says there is no way this option isn’t already built and probably in test app environments. It’s probably even had UAT and sat stagnant already built. It’s baffling that it isn’t an option. 

was referring to the the group volume , so one remote button is enough :-)

was referring to the the group volume , so one remote button is enough :-)

There’s is no IR receiver built into ONE/ONE SL, Five, Play:5 gen. 2, Play:3, Play:1 which is the basic requirement to control a device via IR remote.

Badge

Controlling group via Hdmi CEC or IR is also a crucial add on for me. Arguments about the need of it is wate if time  as many posts from customers request it. I'm returning my $1800 speakers to best buy just because of it. Going with the bose

set the soundbar as group master => once volume changed via remote => soundbar communicate via wifi new volume level to allgroup devices      

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d be pleasantly surprised if Bose could do the things asked for above:

• control group volume with the TV remote;
  • control volume for Sonos when the TV is turned off;
  • allowing full stereo on surrounds.

Can you please provide a link to a Bose system that can do this?

Its an absolute pain in the neck. I like many here spent a lot of money on the Playbar with surround speakers.

To all the patronising comments on here saying nobody uses the system like this, sorry you are totally wrong and Sonos both market it to work like that and have a wizard for setting up surround speakers.

Its a design oversight and an awful setup, my girfriend hates it because she cant control the volume on the TV without asking me to use my phone to change the surround speakers.

The arrogance of Sonos staff to dismiss this is fairly typical Ive noticed. On to the next product poorly implenented, the minute there a rival product I will be switching.

tommy d, if you stop the rear speakers as surround speakers, it works perfectly. Controlling the TV volume also controls de surround speakers volume. The problem this thread talks about is when you have your soundbar grouped with other soakers on the house (that are not surround), in this case, you do have to use your phone to control the volume of those grouped speakers.

Technically feasible on the -- now apparently discontinued -- iPort xPress keypad. It’s simply configured to adjust the entire group volume.

I would bet the iPort was send commands to both rooms through.  It wasn’t a case of a Sonos room telling another Sonos room to change it’s volume level.

I dare say, though it’s not necessary to preconfigure the keypad with the group. It must learn the group members on the fly.

Certainly not something an IR remote can do.

As MikeV says, feature requests are not always implemented. From Sonos having received these, they undergo consideration based on many, many factors. The primary concern is how useful they may be to our entire customer base, not a select few. What you consider an essential feature may be a massive flaw to someone else and vice-versa. Personally, I wouldn't want other users in my house to have the ability to turn my music up and down whilst I'm listening to music in the study, though I'm sure others would disagree with me. I am not offering Sonos' insight as to the validity of your feedback or idea; we consider all feedback to be crucial. I am trying to illustrate the fact that usefulness is subjective. One thing I wish to make clear is that it is not as cut-and-dry as stating your case and then waiting for a feature to be introduced.

I completely understand what your saying here and would agree it can both be a positive and negative, so I was wondering if we could possibly do it were when you create a group the group it’s self has a group settings section were to were you will have a toggle to say control this group with a remote or not and maybe a setting for sync this group like a sorrow does sounds or separate rooms. Just an idea. Looking forward to future updates and products.

It's the usefulness of controlling the group volume that I question. I don't doubt that some users would see it as worth having. But I would suggest that it is a small gain for a small subset of users.

So it would come as no surprise to me if this were a long way from tbe top of Sonos' priority list.  Even if it were fairly simple,  which I doubt.

If a Beam is playing audio from a connected TV, all the grouped speakers are playing the the same TV audio. There are many situations where you might want to do this, it isn’t an isolated case. I run into this problem daily and my friends with Sonos share the same frustration. Muting all speakers from the TV remote control simply makes sense.

+1 vote for adding this feature. 

Badge

Is this still not resolved?!  I also just bought a Beam to join my other three Sonii and found out that I cannot control everything using the TV remote.

On a side note, I also recently returned a Move because I couldn’t charge it with any of the myriad USB-C chargers I already had at home.  Why is Sonos overlooking such simple UX problems / requests?

I just don’t understand why adding the option to control the volume of grouped speakers with an infrared remote through the PLAYBAR is a unreasonable request. I haven’t seen a valid argument yet!
Badge

Will test the tv remote part and et you know here

Controlling the volume for sonus when tv is turned off is less important for me as if I air play or Spotify play I use my phone not the TV remote. 

Allowing full stereo on surround I know it can.