Control all grouped Sonos using TV remote control (via Playbar)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

137 replies

I’ve certainly never experienced any echo from my surrounds, on either a PLAYBAR setup, or an Arc setup. Either when playing the “TV” input, or just using the room as a music speaker set.

+1 on this feature.

After purchasing the BEAM and connecting our TV, I’ve grouped the existing two ONE’s to the same room, but also lack the option for controlling the volume on the two stereo speakers with the TV remote. It only controls the volume on the BEAM, leaving the stereo speakers in limbo.

I understand that the use case is somewhat limited, but from this thread it’s obvious that there is a need and a wish for a lot of customers to pair the BEAM with a couple of front stereo speakers, as an alternative to the intended use case of bonding the speakers as rear surround speakers.

...This request is becoming steadily less relevant as voice control becomes more widespread.  ‘Alexa, pause’ stops audio on my Arc and any grouped speakers.

This hasn’t happened in the last five years for the same reason it won’t ever happen. It’s not a very good idea.

John, your statement is not right. I have Alexa active and can say that when all ones & playbar are merged in one room, it’s not possible to give the right command to Alexa because also the voice control has impact on the volume of all boxes in the complete “merged” room, therefore not rembering the offset of the rear boxes (one’s in my case) vs the playbar… so the sound is not remembered correctly, making one of both to loud (the playbar), (not to speak of delay of voice control, whenever using the TV, the IR is the most fast and efficient volume control).

The best solution for this is an optional setting to sync volume control and remeber the offset, If your core business is audio then fundamental research to best user experience and volume EQ is important.
But if you don’t find it relevant, feel free to not mark the hypotetical improvement option, but as this topic is a small bit of the iceberg I think there are alot of people frustrated for this lack of volume control.

I forgot: +1

Hi a want this funktion to, pleas make it hapen. Option if remote control change volune synk all group spakers or not. A hevely invested in Sonos speakrs. This funktion is must have in THE app!  Is posible this funktion coms in THE new app tjat is relest? Sorry for THE bad English.

"ok clever cloggs, so add a single checkbox REMOTE CONTROLS GROUP ON/OFF. Literally a half day job."

This sounds like a great compromise.  Any Sonos folks that can chime in?

now you talking , im talking about stereo TV vs stereo music, ,many of the TV channels broadcast / stream in stereo at least the ones i watch. when you take a stereo source ( 2 channel) and you make it all channel it doesn’t matter if it;s music or news .

Yep, that’s exactly right.  The key difference is music is ALWAYS stereo, while TV is SOMETIMES stereo.  

I agree with many comments that you should be able to control volume of all speakers grouped to main soundbar room. I set up 2 Play ones as rear speakers for system (not surrounds ). So when I listen to TV they provide some rear sound but if I mute soundbar form remote it does not mute or change volume of other room Play ones even though they are "grouped" to main room?
There would be some financial outlay, but an iPort xPRESS keypad could do what's requested. It can be configured to adjust group volume. It would also have better granularity than Alexa's 10% volume steps.
Same request. I have PLAYbase, two play 5 and Apple TV. Play 5 are next to tv (I don’t have another place to put it) if PLAYbase have them as surround, it sounds not so perfect as I would set it as a group. Then I have a problem to control sound volume from my remote. Would be great to have a volume group lock in app. That would be very useful!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

...This hasn’t happened in the last five years for the same reason it won’t ever happen. It’s not a very good idea.

Yes I suspect you’re right when you say it’ll never happen after all these years but whilst this may of no interest to you, that doesn’t make it a bad idea and plenty of folks (myself included) would find this useful.

Airgetlam,

I’m with you on this matter... if you group two sets of speakers, such as the 'dining room' and 'hallway' and press the hardware volume controls on the actual speakers, they have only ever adjusted the volume for the one chosen room only... it has always been that way. It therefore should work the same for the TV remote operating on the Sonos PlayBar and PlayBase. It would be odd to make an exception for those particular products.

The group volume control is available in the Sonos App and that’s really where it needs to stay.

I should add that even the voice integration with Alexa, only controls the volume in a single Sonos room too even when that room is grouped with others.

There would probably have to be an extraordinary public demand to now get Sonos to change things over to always operate volume controls on an entire group ... then I’m sure there would then be a backlash from those who prefer to control each individual room in a group.

Leave things exactly as they are, would be my preference.
I'm an Android user too (mostly), but one only needs an iOS device to configure the xPRESS keypads. After that they operate independently.

But, yes, they are quite pricey. However they're pretty customisable (a 'scene' will group defined players and preset volumes, and 'favourites' are a selected subset of Sonos Favorites sources), and unlike some alternatives they don't require a hub as they connect directly to WiFi.

The SYMFONISK thing does look interesting.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
As mentioned above there is a difference between grouping actually joining the speakers in a 5.1 setup or even the stereo setup of two Ones or Threes together. I have often wanted to "permanently" join two or three speakers together in a similar fashion. Basically making them one room. When I use these speakers 99% of the time there are all included in the group, so combining them would be very convenient. Most of my listening is with my Playbar/Sub, Kitchen Play3 , and 3 Connect Amps for outside. If i could combine the 3 Connect Amps into "Outdoor" it would be very helpful. My Maser Bath has two Ones, but they are joined in stereo so i have only one room for them, it would be a pain if I didn't have then in stereo and I has to pick both L and R for music there.
I guess if we could join speakers to rooms, it would help implement the volume feature for people wanting for example to "join" their PlayBar/Base and a Play 5.
With close to 20 speakers, the ability join a few into rooms would be a nice feature. I guess a join room function instead of the normal group function. I have little hope Sonos ever implements, but I guy can dream right? LOL

Can we get an update on this?

I just bought a new Sonos Arc and Five for my living room. I fully expected to be able to add them to a room and adjust the volume using my TV remote (or if not, that a remote of some kind would be included to do the same).

As it stands whenever I turn down the TV volume, I have to unlock my phone, go to groups, and manually reduce the volume on my Five. It’s infuriating.

It seems like the only thing blocking this from working is considering the Five as a surround speaker -- You can add surrounds to an Arc, but it doesn’t find my Five, so I’m assuming it’s expecting a Pair, even though the Five can play in stereo?

I’m dumping this stuff back at Best Buy if Sonos can’t sort this out.

Is there a possible third-party work around to this problem if Sonos won’t address it? I group a beam with two play 1s so my tv audio is on bed nightstands as well as under tv which is across the room. Setting play 1s as surrounds off the beam doesn’t give me full tv audio on the nightstands (Play 1s) as I would like to have.

If Sonos is allowing me to group tv audio from beam with play 1s why would the ability to use the tv remote for volume control suddenly go away?
Having the same issue. Because of this, I only use the surround system when I'm watching something important. A waste of two Sono's Ones most of the time. There should be a way to connect them all to the volume of the Play Bar that is controlled with a TV remote.
Its an absolute pain in the neck. I like many here spent a lot of money on the Playbar with surround speakers.

To all the patronising comments on here saying nobody uses the system like this, sorry you are totally wrong and Sonos both market it to work like that and have a wizard for setting up surround speakers.

Its a design oversight and an awful setup, my girfriend hates it because she cant control the volume on the TV without asking me to use my phone to change the surround speakers.

The arrogance of Sonos staff to dismiss this is fairly typical Ive noticed. On to the next product poorly implenented, the minute there a rival product I will be switching.

Thanks everyone for this great thread and thanks Sonos for making such great speakers!

I wanted to contribute back and let everyone know that I was using Logitech Harmony for two years to control Sonos group volume but Logitech Harmony had downsides.  

Instead I found a way to just use my AppleTV remote and HDMI CEC to control the group volume.  

I’ve posted the code to GitHub in case it helps anyone else:
https://github.com/arcsoundguy/sonos-group-volume-with-tv-remote

Thanks for this! 

I found this thread while looking for a way to control group volume with the TV remote. Tried your solution ArcSoundGuy which worked great but I wanted something slightly different and since I know Node.js better I found it easier to just build a similar thing on my own. The only functional difference between the projects is that the application I built doesn’t automatically group the speakers, it only updates the volume for speakers that are manually grouped. I wanted the option to use the speakers independently as well. 

I also posted the code to GitHub in case it helps anyone else:

https://github.com/ErikAlfredsson/sonos-sync-group-volume

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I realise the things you mention are nice to have, for some. I also understand that some things are hard to program, given Sonos’ choices earlier: surrounds are commanded very differently form stand alone speakers, Trueplay is different for each set up. Commanding speakers with a remote connected to a TV that is turned off, will be difficult.

Just because you want something, Sonos is not obliged to give it to you. I want an end to the 65k limit and SMBv3 for my Sonos. In the end it’s Sonos who decides where to put their development time, so if you do not like that, looking for another supplier is the perfect option.

+1

and make it an option of course!

and not only for remote group volume control also for the speaker buttons in group + voice control in group.

Damn simple and poor user experience… i’m waiting for over 3 years now for this feature.

also in other communities countries a lot of people in favor!

The sonos app provide a way to control the group audio volume, why not from a remote control connected to the soundbar ? 

Maybe because a TV remote only has one volume button?

set the soundbar as group master => once volume changed via remote => soundbar communicate via wifi new volume level to allgroup devices      

Technically not feasible. A similar engineering challenge is the popular request “Pairing one SUB to two rooms”.

Technically feasible on the -- now apparently discontinued -- iPort xPress keypad. It’s simply configured to adjust the entire group volume.

Technically feasible on the -- now apparently discontinued -- iPort xPress keypad. It’s simply configured to adjust the entire group volume.

I would bet the iPort was send commands to both rooms, via WiFi, through.  It wasn’t a case of a Sonos room telling another Sonos room to change it’s volume level.  I would guess that’s the issue with an IR remote.  It can communicate with Sonos devices with IR sensors only.