Control all grouped Sonos using TV remote control (via Playbar)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

137 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That in itself is logical, yes, I can see where you are coming from. Your need for this functionality is dictated by the way in which you use the system, which is fair enough. However, while using additional "Rooms" as "Supporting Speakers" for your television is a great idea, at this time, it is the exception and not the rule. I do think there is some validity to what you are saying which is why it will be forwarded to the necessary parties.
Badge

That’s the definition of all channel stereo

This was the very first question I had when I plugged in everything for the first time this weekend. I thought I was doing something wrong.

When you set up your rear as surround / full and you play stereo source like TV the rears wont give you a full stereo like you claims, if you manage to put the hear on the speaker you will hear what i mean, Echo might be the wrong word.

No one made this claim.  No one said your rear surrounds speakers can do ‘all channel’ or whatever term you want to use, for TV audio right now.   The points made was that you can do ‘all channel’ for music sources right now, and if Sonos made a functional change to allow for a similar setting for TV sources, it would alleviate many of the complaints in this thread, as well as other issues. 

Userlevel 2
Badge
Edward R... status?
Badge

Source doesn’t matter , if the system will know to do all channel stereo in music it will know also in TV .

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Adding my support for this.

My situation is I have a Beam with bonded Ones as surrounds.
I use this setup for music playback also, adjusting surround levels accordingly.

I've just bought another pair of Ones to be grouped as a separate stereo pair positioned in the front of the room as I prefer the focus of the music to be from the front.

I was also going to group this room with the bonded surround setup to in fill some sound to the back, which may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

Streaming music from various playlists often brings with it changing volumes from track to track, grabbing the TV remote as I have been up to now for Beam/Surrounds music playback is quick and convenient.

Having to reach for my phone, unlock the screen, navigate to Sonos app and fiddle with the levels is comparatively much more inconvenient than a one stop solution.

Whilst I understand it's of no use to some, please recognise it's very useful for many for various reasons and therefore a feature worthy of implementation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Edward R... status?

Ok. Edward R was far too polite and you clearly didn't take on board what he was saying.
Basically he was saying so few want to,use the system like you, it's a silly idea, but don't contact us we'll contact you.

Source doesn’t matter , if the system will know to do all channel stereo in music it will know also in TV .

:sigh: You are speaking in circles and not very clearly.   Source absolutely matters since a stereo source (music) would not have any distinct audio channels for the surround speakers.  A TV source can absolutely have distinct audio channels for the surround speakers, so it absolutely matters.  I’m not saying it’s impossible to play all channel for a TV source, or commenting on how difficult it would be to implement, but the source matters, and would change the logic in determining what audio is played through the surround speakers and under what conditions.

Badge

now you talking , im talking about stereo TV vs stereo music, ,many of the TV channels broadcast / stream in stereo at least the ones i watch. when you take a stereo source ( 2 channel) and you make it all channel it doesn’t matter if it;s music or news .

Adding my support for this.

My situation is I have a Beam with bonded Ones as surrounds.
I use this setup for music playback also, adjusting surround levels accordingly.

I've just bought another pair of Ones to be grouped as a separate stereo pair positioned in the front of the room as I prefer the focus of the music to be from the front.

I was also going to group this room with the bonded surround setup to in fill some sound to the back, which may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

Streaming music from various playlists often brings with it changing volumes from track to track, grabbing the TV remote as I have been up to now for Beam/Surrounds music playback is quick and convenient.

Having to reach for my phone, unlock the screen, navigate to Sonos app and fiddle with the levels is comparatively much more inconvenient than a one stop solution.

Whilst I understand it's of no use to some, please recognise it's very useful for many for various reasons and therefore a feature worthy of implementation.

Why don’t you use Alexa Enabled Groups to set/control their group-volume... just set the group up and say to any of the enabling devices “Alexa set the volume to 30%” (just as an example) ..and ALL Sonos devices ‘preferred' in the group will set to that volume.
jbradbrown,

I think that all suggestions are worth looking in to for implementation. My only concern in general is at some point with making everything an option is you end up with an interface that is too confusing. If they implement even half of the suggestions here, there would be 20 pages of optional settings (OK, perhaps I'm exaggerating for effect), which would confuse the majority of their users, and make life complex for those who actually "get" the process. Without passing judgement on this specific request, I know that I've worked with many UI designers who have told me "no, that's too many options for any one person to process", and limited the amount of things I've been allowed to have in a game settings UI. It's just a fact of psychology that we as humans can only deal with a certain amount of complexity before losing the ability to understand all that is in front of us.

Sorry for pontificating.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks for the suggestion which would work, I'm not keen on Alexa though and disabled it soon after installing.
Not least for it's annoyingly loud responses which STILL cannot be set independently of general sound playback.
Thanks for the suggestion which would work, I'm not keen on Alexa though and disabled it soon after installing.
Not least for it's annoyingly loud responses which STILL cannot be set independently of general sound playback.

I think the volume correlation maybe an Amazon restriction, so perhaps add an Echo Dot to your setup instead, as it’s volume can be set entirely independently to the Beam.
No argument here 🙂
Bernardo,

Also if you set the Echo Dot Alexa to “brief mode” then all you will hear (I believe) is a short (brief) chime when you give the group volume commands.
This would be very useful. Have 2 Play 5s grouped with my playbar in the main room and my wife loses her mind that she can only turn the playbar down. I then have to constantly group and ungroup between the stereo paired play 5s and the playbar when I want to listen to music vs. watch tv and it is very annoying.
Just tried looking for the same capability. Sad that it's not possible yet.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
There would be some financial outlay, but an iPort xPRESS keypad could do what's requested. It can be configured to adjust group volume. It would also have better granularity than Alexa's 10% volume steps.

Yes I did see that in my search for a physical remote and was somewhat surprised at the high cost.
Being an Android user anyway it's (thankfully) a non-starter.

I'm keeping my eye on this upcoming IKEA/Sonos collaboration which sounds interesting and may provide the basic remote control solution I'm looking for.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/ikeasonos-symfonisk-speakers-will-work-with-a-remote-control
I'm afraid you have your terms mixed up. The volume works fine for 5.1 when the system is configured as 5.1. Grouping is something completely different from 5.1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A surround set on Sonos is formed using two surround speakers. A Five, even when set to stereo, counts as one speaker, so has to be set up to a room by itself. So if you want volume control on all speakers in the same physical room via your TV remote you need another Five or change the Five for two One SL’s. I’m not sure the Arc would respond to the remote when you are not using the tv though (as it needs to be commanded by HDMI-CEC).

Having the same issue. Because of this, I only use the surround system when I'm watching something important. A waste of two Sono's Ones most of the time. There should be a way to connect them all to the volume of the Play Bar that is controlled with a TV remote.You could 'unbond' the surrounds and then 'group' them with the PlayBar as a stereo pair and use the TV Dialog Lip-Sync slider bar in Room Settings... that will often work fine for standard TV PCM 2 channel audio output. It works for me with my Sonos setup, albeit I use a Sonos Beam and an additional stereo pair of speakers, rather than 'unbonding' the surrounds from my HT system. Hope it works for you and provides you with TV stereo audio from ALL your speakers.?

Thanks @106rallye. I understand how the app currently limits the types of speakers you can use in a "bonded group" now.

I still think this is an unreasonable limitation! I'm going to return my Sonos kit if i can't figure out a workaround - For  $1500 I expect basic functionality like "turn all my speakers in the same room up and down with a remote", regardless of how Sonos has chosen to implement their configuration hierarchy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I still think this is an unreasonable limitation! I'm going to return my Sonos kit if i can't figure out a workaround 

I think you’re going to become Sonos kitless, @kiteless  I’m sure someone would have posted it if they’d come up with a practical workaround. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There is a remote for the system - it’s your phone. And the remote with HDMI-CEC and (e)ARC is even more a part of your TV than it used to be in PlayBar times. With HDMI-CEEC the remote will only command the system (via Bluetooth and HDMI) when the TV is on instead of commanding the Arc directly via ir (as it would have been on a PlayBar). This limitation seems to be technical in nature (even more so now than in the past) and so to me is not unreasonable.

I can understand people wanting this feature, though I do not understand why when the TV is off a phone would not do as a remote.