Control all grouped Sonos using TV remote control (via Playbar)

Show first post

137 replies

Has this issue been resolved?  Would like to control two play ones grouped with beam via tv remote. Seems simple enough. Right now - remote only controls beam - need to use app to control stereo mode plays. 

Phil6362772, my understanding is you’re not using the play1 as surround you’re just grouping them for music or tv?  As far as I know my tv remote won’t even control the beam volume with music.  Only when the tv is on probably due to HDMI. However. The only thing I can suggest to you is purchasing the iPort express audio keypad. It’s a great remote that lets you add all your sonos stations to it with a quick key to toggle through them. It also lets you set up a “scene” if you hold the “favorite” button for one second. The “scene” you set up in the app is any or every speaker you want and you can also set the volume and station that begins to play.  The added feature that will interest you is the fact that you can control one speaker volume or all speakers in group. Also, they do not need to be set to the same volume. You choose a percentage for each speaker in the group for the “starting” volume. 

Badge +1

Seems very very very clear to anyone with a brain cell it's a feature buyers of Sonos products want . Not all buyers will have sofisticated set ups and this seems a reasonable request . Iam sure it's more useful to people than worrying about the sound in a speaker in another room where more often than not no one is in that room .

Utter disgrace Sonos have not implemented this simple feature but that's what you get when you deal with billion pound companies who take customer feedback with a pinch of salt . 

Badge

Making the surround setup able to play stereo will resolve all issues for sure. 

Wondering why sonos have a user forum but not even 1 reply on their part , 6 years worth of over 100 posts in this thread. 

WAKE UP SONOS 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m afraid to say after five years and counting (for this thread) it’s not going to happen.

A few comments on this. First, it seems like the most common case for this request is people using as stereo pair for TV audio in conjunction with their soundbar.  In the case, the real problem is that you can’t use surround speakers in ‘full’ stereo mode with TV audio.  If that feature were implemented, it would remove the need IR remote group control.  It would also mean you could use the speaker pair for stereo or surround duty in the room without having to fully reconfigure in trueplay tune each time.  I configuration setup allowing the options of “always play surround’,’ play stereo when source is 2.0’, or ‘always play stereo’ would cover a lot more ground.

For those that don’t fit the above case, I have a feeling this sounds great in theory, but not so much in reality.  There are absolutely times where I have a couple rooms grouped, and it would be nice to be able to pick up a remote and change the volume of the whole group, rather than go to the Sonos app.  However, there are also times where I only want to reduce the volume in the room the TV is in, and I’m glad the remote only controls the one room.

I have a connect to a kef subwoofer, so I want that one combined with the arc group. 

The surround setup (surround speakers) do play stereo, when they are set to ‘full’ rather than ‘ambient’ in the surround settings for music playback.

I'd love to have this feature implemented too!

I have a connect to a kef subwoofer, so I want that one combined with the arc group. 

You don’t have any delay issues?

*And technically, your surrounds are not grouped to the Arc, they are bonded to form a single room.  Semantics, yes, but conversations get confusing when the terms are mixed.  If ‘arc group’ was actually referring to a group of Sonos rooms, than I don’t understand what you’re getting at.

Sonos is not lessen their customers the are very bad support on this. 5 yers ago post. googel havebetter support and in going to by Google specers.

The only issue I find with the Harmony remote software is that if you have Sonos devices tied up within activities and then go onto rename or change those devices around, that when you ‘refresh’ the Sonos device list and rescan the network, that some devices get duplicated, missed off completely ..and the list of devices do not sometimes reflect the current setup as per the Sonos App.. it seems to get worse over time and you can end up having to remove them all and start from scratch.

It’s a reasonably good workaround for ‘group volume’ control, but it’s not without its own issues if you like to change around devices, or rename them.

I have three Harmony remotes setup on my network and the Sonos device list is slightly different for all three, despite refreshing the Sonos device list for each one in the Harmony App.