Answered

Sonos Ace - Buzzing / Static Noise and low volume HELP

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi, 

I hope anyone has a similar issues or noticed the same thing on their ACE (I’m hoping it’s a software issue and not hardware). 

Basically after testing my Sonos Ace today I’ve noticed that in my right ear (when on noise cancelling) there’s a static or buzzing sound almost like the mics for noise cancelling are not working properly (just a theory). 

I know it has nothing to do with my hearing as if I swap ears the disturbance can be heard in my left ear. So it’s defo a problem with the headphones. 

has anyone noticed this on their pair? I’m hoping it’s a software issue and maybe others have also noticed it so I don’t need to return my pair. 

I tried to call Support today but after I was transferred to the technical team I was left on a queue for over 50min and I gave up.

please if anyone else has this issue and it’s not my pair being faulty then let me know! 

icon

Best answer by Jayperry 19 June 2024, 02:46

View original

170 replies

Userlevel 1

I just installed the latest firmware update and it seems to fix the aware fizz problem!

Was about to return my Ace tomorrow but I'll give it another try for now..

Userlevel 2

I am on my second ace and in contact with support for replacement/support. Then I received a meaningless email today from support to update my firmware and send a diagnostics to SONOS. So I thought don’t give up just follow the recommended steps by support don’t just return the device!

So I went into the app and noticed there was actually again a firmware update, so very surprised. I started the update for the ace and I had to be patient because it failed 3 times. After force quitting the app aswell as turn off/on the headphone it was finally installed successfully.

Then I turned the ace on and it connected to pc and phone. And guess what… no buzz/crack in all different modes (anc/transparant) with one or more devices while listening to music or being on calls etc 

I begin to believe that it is solved for me😮

I have to keep testing but I hope this solves it for everyone. Firmware version: 2.9.4-ce71a082d

Userlevel 2

Okay updating the thread as I have some exciting news!! After receiving my replacement Ace headphone and being disappointed to find a slight static/buzzing I am happy to say that the new update released today has fixed the issue. The buzzing/static is gone and must have been related to software. Phew 😮‍💨 cuz I really do love these headphones

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Great. I've been attempting to uodate over and over for 24 hours. After about five attempted fails it will tell me they are up to date but and hour later need an update and the failing over and over begins again until it tells me they are up to date and the whole cycle starts over. FIRE THIS GOD DAMN CEO ALREADY. If you can read this, Patty, YOU SUCK. 

Userlevel 1

I can confirm after upgrading the firmware to version: 2.9.4-ce71a082d the buzzing issue is also fixed for me for both anc and aware mode :)

Now I get very clear sound. Loving it!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I can confirm after upgrading the firmware to version: 2.9.4-ce71a082d the buzzing issue is also fixed for me for both anc and aware mode :)

Look at you showing off your new update and right side creaking noise elimination while the rest if us papers are stuck down in the mud in this never ending "you're update - no you aren't" loop. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 1

My replacement, or the update has fixed my issue. Either way old headset got sent back.

The update removed the fuzzing on my ACE

However - there are lots of “micro interruptions” - guessing this is because of Bluetooth 
It is very annoying when playing nice music, and - it happens with most headphones that I have tried. Earbuds seems better. Perhaps it’s a iOS Bluetooth issue, where some BT profiles get more resources than others. I don’t have much explanations about the issue. 

I might open a separate ticket for this 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

The replacement Ace headphones arrived this morning and after a quick test, the buzzing / crackly sound is NOT present on the new set. 

Will need to do further testing, but so far so good!

Okay updating the thread as I have some exciting news!! After receiving my replacement Ace headphone and being disappointed to find a slight static/buzzing I am happy to say that the new update released today has fixed the issue. The buzzing/static is gone and must have been related to software. Phew 😮‍💨 cuz I really do love these headphones

That fixed it for me too. 

Userlevel 1

Kudos for sonos solving. The transparency mode is a bit harsh a time but I expect the hardware is capable of adaptation. Removing the buzzing as we describe it is a great feat for a new product.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Omg now I feel so sad I returned mine 😅😒 so happy to hear it’s all solved!! I love them so I will buy them again.  

Please keep confirming that the static noise is gone so happy! 😀 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello guys, to confirm, with firmware upgrade 2.9.4-ce71a082d I do not have any static buzzing noise issue anymore
BUT, I had returned my 1st Sonos Ace and the replacement headphone had a slight improvement (even though the issue remained). But now with the latest software update, it seems perfect. Will do further tests and comment again if I observe anything.
Great job Sonos, love your products!

I received my replacement Sonos Ace headphones on Tuesday.

So far I’ve not noticed any buzz...🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I really am a long term fan of Sonos, but I’m at my wits end over this exchange process. My three original issues lodged with Sonos L2 support 14 days ago were:

1. The Aware mode only radio interference style sound discussed in this thread (low level ticks/clicks)
  2. The zipper on the case failed in the first hour.
  3. A new one; my first bus ride with ANC enabled - getting random significant pops or clipping in to the headphones in both ears.  It appears to happen when the bus hits a certain frequency, the headphones complain and clip.  

Looks like you guys have proven that #1 and #3 are potentially fixed by firmware, which is great.  Pity a software update couldn’t fix the broken zip, but hey.

So 14 days later and not one piece of comms from Sonos.  Their L2 support person helped me out originally (after 1 hr 45 on the phone) and I shipped the headphones back same day, and I’ve since chased them via email on 7 occasions.  No response.  

So, here I am two weeks later after a total of *5 hours* on the phone to support. I’m still on a support call (2 hours so far) where the L2 support person can’t replace the unit, and needs to lodge a ticket with the returns team, who appear to have lost my returned headphones (but did not chase anything up).  I’ve got proof of delivery, but they can’t send another unit out - and they can’t provide me with any way to contact them without going back on hold.  

So - I’ve got no headphones, no solution to the original 3 problems & no clear path as to how to get my replacements.  On the upside, Sonos still have my hard earned cash!

Hi everyone,

Same story as described here. The latest firmware update solved the buzzing sound for me, and based on the (rather limited) evidence so far after reading all your comments, I guess we can safely(?) conclude it was a software issue (not hardware) all along.

It is of course difficult to know what would have happen if those who returned it and got a new unit had simply updated to latest firmware. Plus (and please correct me if I am wrong), for most people that decided to replace their unit, the update came right while the returning process, so it’s difficult to know what really solved the issue, the update or the replacement.

I’m more inclined to think it was the new firmware which made the difference. Besides the multiple evidence from those who updated it and solved the issue (plus a few who had the same problem after receiving a new unit and only after updating the buzzing was gone), I doubt there was a “bad batch” going around, because there’s been literally no time to solve whatever supposed hardware issues were happening.

Actually, if there was such a “bad batch”, I would definitely expect from Sonos to identify, communicate and solve this for every single unit that had a defect, in my opinion, regardless of whether or not there was an associated claim.

The problem seems to be solved, but I would like to hear what you all think in this regard (specially the ones that disagree ;-)).

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I really am a long term fan of Sonos, but I’m at my wits end over this exchange process. My three original issues lodged with Sonos L2 support 14 days ago...

..So 14 days later and not one piece of comms from Sonos.  Their L2 support person helped me out originally (after 1 hr 45 on the phone) and I shipped the headphones back same day, and I’ve since chased them via email on 7 occasions.  No response.  

So, here I am two weeks later after a total of *5 hours* on the phone to support. I’m still on a support call (2 hours so far) where the L2 support person can’t replace the unit, and needs to lodge a ticket with the returns team, who appear to have lost my returned headphones (but did not chase anything up).  I’ve got proof of delivery, but they can’t send another unit out - and they can’t provide me with any way to contact them without going back on hold.  

So - I’ve got no headphones, no solution to the original 3 problems & no clear path as to how to get my replacements.  On the upside, Sonos still have my hard earned cash!

My I ask, why did you bother exchanging with Sonos rather than return to your retailer for a refund and then purchase a new unit.  In the US, Amazon has a 30-day refund policy, and Crutchfield has a 60-day one.  The return process is measured in seconds for Amazon, minutes for Crutchfield.  Other retailers have similar policies.

I’m genuinally curious.

Hi everyone,

Same story as described here. The latest firmware update solved the buzzing sound for me, and based on the (rather limited) evidence so far after reading all your comments, I guess we can safely(?) conclude it was a software issue (not hardware) all along.

It is of course difficult to know what would have happen if those who returned it and got a new unit had simply updated to latest firmware. Plus (and please correct me if I am wrong), for most people that decided to replace their unit, the update came right while the returning process, so it’s difficult to know what really solved the issue, the update or the replacement.

I’m more inclined to think it was the new firmware which made the difference. Besides the multiple evidence from those who updated it and solved the issue (plus a few who had the same problem after receiving a new unit and only after updating the buzzing was gone), I doubt there was a “bad batch” going around, because there’s been literally no time to solve whatever supposed hardware issues were happening.

Actually, if there was such a “bad batch”, I would definitely expect from Sonos to identify, communicate and solve this for every single unit that had a defect, in my opinion, regardless of whether or not there was an associated claim.

The problem seems to be solved, but I would like to hear what you all think in this regard (specially the ones that disagree ;-)).

Just got home to my replacement Ace. When I first paired them, the buzzing was present. But after the firmware update it was gone. Not tested it extensively yet but so far so good. So yes I think it was fixed in firmware. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I really am a long term fan of Sonos, but I’m at my wits end over this exchange process. My three original issues lodged with Sonos L2 support 14 days ago...

..So 14 days later and not one piece of comms from Sonos.  Their L2 support person helped me out originally (after 1 hr 45 on the phone) and I shipped the headphones back same day, and I’ve since chased them via email on 7 occasions.  No response.  

My I ask, why did you bother exchanging with Sonos rather than return to your retailer for a refund and then purchase a new unit.  In the US, Amazon has a 30-day refund policy, and Crutchfield has a 60-day one.  The return process is measured in seconds for Amazon, minutes for Crutchfield.  Other retailers have similar policies.

I’m genuinally curious.

I purchased the Ace off Sonos.com, using an upgrade credit. So Sonos is the retailer, forcing me to deal with them directly. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Got it.  Makes sense to me now.