Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

Just adding another request to have this addressed and fixed. It went from being the most used device in the house for listening to now being the most frustrating. 

I switch over form alexa on my arc because it wasn't working properly and now Sonos can’t even offer a simple update? SMH

Had Alexa and switched to a Google Assistant household, Nest products, etc. Now Sonos is the lagging technology.

Folks, I dumped Google Assistant and started using Alexa to play Apple Music through my Sonos Beam and it works great! If you are not married to your smart assistant, I suggest this way forward. Plus Alexa also has other cool features like intercom between rooms, etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It’s not a bug, it’s a request for a new feature.

😑

Why can’t Sonos give us an estimate when this bug will be fixed?

Userlevel 3

I believe they recently announced starting their own Sonos music streaming service. I’m not expecting they’re going to allow us to use Apple through their devices anytime soon unfortunately.

Update to the app today….but no update to the hardware and no change to the Apple Music problem. Come on Sonos. Please give a timeline on when you will fix this functionality.

Badge

Agree, I spent all this time setting it up and then it tells me that it’s not supported?

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

Hello Ditte

it’s been over a month and need to know will there be a patch/ firmware update available to allow Google Assistant to play Apple Music subscription. 

Hopefully this is resolved soon!

Userlevel 3

Sadly they haven’t updated it or the answer for when it will be - if at all.  I returned my Sonos and will choose another option. I was looking forward to adding more because of the great sound quality, but tired of playing these compatibility games!

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

but the problem we have is that is shows that it is in the available music services!

This might help in the time between if you have an iPhone/iPad as a workaround in the meantime. 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/11/how-to-update-sonos-speakers-for-airplay-2-homekit/

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

Hi Ditte,

Any update on when this fix will be deployed?

Has it been requested as a feature?

It feels like this should be a patch to the latest version of Google assistant on Sonos. Could you confirm?

Thanks

James

Ah damn it, I’ve literally just bought a Move to replace my Google home mini in the kitchen.

Naively assumed that as assistant now supports Apple Music then of course this will work with the move! 
Why can’t all of these devices play nicely together!

Gutted I think I’m going to have to return this, unless there is an ETA in the next week or so.

Any other recommendations (not apple HomePod, I’m not a Siri fan) for a smart speaker, with decent sound that supports GA and Apple Music combo?

Still waiting. Wish they could at least give us a timeline or something 

Yeah this functionality needs to be added, I’m mystified as to why this isn’t a priority. Are you trying to get me to buy Google Nest speakers instead?

Same issue here, would love if this was resolved ASAP.

I am confused.

Sonos + Apple Music = Works

Sonos + Alexa + Apple Music = Works

Google Assistant + Apple Music = Works

Sonos + Google Assistant + Apple Music = Of course this WILL NOT work, how dare you assume it would!

This makes no sense at all and I would love to understand why this is not a supported option

You forgot…

Sonos + GOOGLE Assistant + Spotify = Works

SMH I don’t get this at all - Apple is super proactive on letting their developer and hardware community know about these releases. You should have had weeks to prepare for their Google integration which is testament of where the ecosystem is going.

#Sonos @Sonos @Ditte please fix. This is such a straight forward integration. Should take your dev team a week or two Build test ship this out. Take example of Tesla. A few tweets and boom new release. 

Beginning to think I just bought into a premium Sonos system and innovation is very slow here.

annoying that google assistant doesnt support apple music on sonos… seems like it should! but here’s a workaround that is working well for me (iphone, sonos one): ask siri to play the music you want to listen to and then airplay to bounce it over to the sonos - works pretty flawlessly! 

Just want to add a +1 for this to become something we can use asap. I just bought a speaker for voice announcements via smartthings which works great and use Apple Music as my music service so would be great to be able to get google to play music through the sonos and not have to use the app or my phone. Seems simple enough and as Apple Music only came to google assistant in Dec would hope to see Sonos get things up and running this month (Jan) but we will see.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This is a Google Cast firmware version issue. I have a Lenovo Smart Clock that also has the same issue and it’s running 1.46 whereas my Nest displays are running 1.52. Sonos is probably still running 1.46. I’m not sure Google has even released 1.52 to 3rd parties yet. I imagine this isn’t a high priority for Sonos and will probably get pushed out with the next set of bug fixes. Granted they have access to the latest version of Cast.

Sonos products don’t support Chromecast.

This is a Google Cast firmware version issue. I have a Lenovo Smart Clock that also has the same issue and it’s running 1.46 whereas my Nest displays are running 1.52. Sonos is probably still running 1.46. I’m not sure Google has even released 1.52 to 3rd parties yet. I imagine this isn’t a high priority for Sonos and will probably get pushed out with the next set of bug fixes. Granted they have access to the latest version of Cast.