Radio 4 voice command stopped working

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is highly speculative, but would someone like to try the instruction "play radio 4 from the BBC".

It's based on an issue that arose on Alexa, and I don't really expect it to carry over to GA. But you never know…

(I only use Alexa, so cannot test it myself)

Or maybe try "play radio 4 from BBC Sounds"

No, plays radio4 extra:joy:

Excited to pay a lot to have a Sonos move and then discovered that it will not play Radio 4 through google assistant. Now, after 3 months it still isn’t fixed?? 

Userlevel 2

I can get BBC Radio 2 reliably with the voice command. "OK Google, play 88 to 91 FM". The same technique didn't seem to work for Radio 4 though...

Userlevel 2

Sorry this is still an issue for me. (14th Aug)

I remember waiting nearly two years for Sonos to add voice integration, guess it's still very much a work in progress. I know there is litigation between Sonos and Google, I wonder if this is hampering the support / service. 

Userlevel 1

Hm.. playing BBC radio 4 EXTRA this morning - don’t know what happened yesterday, if anything.

Hey @Tarpey@JamesDan@Gribin Isaf@purrlyne and others,

To make sure, I just tested it myself and can reproduce this issue. I’ve flagged it again with our engineers, but we don’t have anything else to share at this time. The workaround at the moment is to start playback through the Sonos app.

We appreciate your patience on this, and I’ll update here again if we have anything to share.

Any progress or work-arounds yet?  
This is so frustrating.

I’ve been backwards and forwards on this like everyone else on this for months. BBC Sounds had worked last year but stopped with the usual problem of it starting up but not playing the radio stream. I switched to Google and bumped into the Radio 4 issue.

I’ve unlinked and reset Alexa about 4 or 5 times without success UNTIL this w’end just passed. 

I uninstalled ALL skills on Alexa. 

I then asked Alexa on one of my Sonos (Move) to play BBC Radio 4 on BBC Sounds to see what would happen. Alexa referenced the fact that I had Sounds before and asked if I would like to enable it. I said Yes. It started up BBC Sounds, said I should link my account but went on to play BBC Radio 4. Its now been working for 3-4 days. I HAVENT linked my BBC skill / account in the Alexa app. I’ve reinstalled other skills and no issue. 

I’m not going to link the account as it works and am loathe to find it wont work again. 

Do you currently have the BBC Sounds Skill installed in your Amazon Alexa App - if not, then perhaps install that and try again to see if that fixes it.

I’ve been backwards and forwards on this like everyone else on this for months. BBC Sounds had worked last year but stopped with the usual problem of it starting up but not playing the radio stream. I switched to Google and bumped into the Radio 4 issue.

I’ve unlinked and reset Alexa about 4 or 5 times without success UNTIL this w’end just passed. 

I uninstalled ALL skills on Alexa. 

I then asked Alexa on one of my Sonos (Move) to play BBC Radio 4 on BBC Sounds to see what would happen. Alexa referenced the fact that I had Sounds before and asked if I would like to enable it. I said Yes. It started up BBC Sounds, said I should link my account but went on to play BBC Radio 4. Its now been working for 3-4 days. I HAVENT linked my BBC skill / account in the Alexa app. I’ve reinstalled other skills and no issue. 

I’m not going to link the account as it works and am loathe to find it wont work again. 

Yeah, this thread is about how the BBC Radio & Google assistant integration is broken tho - appreciate it works with Alexa but that isn’t really a solution to this issue, 

Time to get Google speakers. 

I am adding my voice to the chorus. When asking for Radio 4 or 2 I get Radio 4 Extra or Radio Cymru instead. Very much regretting my Sonos purchase so far.

I’ve also got this issue and I’m following to see the hopefully ‘speedy’ resolution………...

I used to be able to start radio 4 with the voice command "OK Google, play BBC Radio 4" now this just leads to Sonos playing Radio 4 Extra. Has any one else seen this to know how to fix it?

I'm waiting on this too...

Badge

I got this working.

It is by no mean a fix, but it is at least a functioning workaround thanks to some clever people in the IFTTT community.

Instructions here:

They’re for Alexa, but it works fine with Google Assistant too.