Radio 4 voice command stopped working

Userlevel 2

I used to be able to start radio 4 with the voice command "OK Google, play BBC Radio 4" now this just leads to Sonos playing Radio 4 Extra. Has any one else seen this to know how to fix it?

64 replies

Time to get Google speakers. 

Still waiting. 
It feels like SW issue in a table. 

has anyone been able to get Radio 4 by asking for a different station. I know asking for 4 xtra does not work. 

Userlevel 1

Can’t quite believe this hasn’t been fixed. My wife may leave me if it isn’t fixed soon!

I am adding my voice to the chorus. When asking for Radio 4 or 2 I get Radio 4 Extra or Radio Cymru instead. Very much regretting my Sonos purchase so far.

Hi there

We’re still facing an issue with Sonos playing BBC Radio 4 Extra instead of BBC Radio 4. 
Any update?

Thanks

Badge

I got this working.

It is by no mean a fix, but it is at least a functioning workaround thanks to some clever people in the IFTTT community.

Instructions here:

They’re for Alexa, but it works fine with Google Assistant too.

This is the same issue that I am experiencing. I was so hoping to find  solution here and quite disappointed to see that it has remained unresolved for so long.                

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I tried Radio 4 with a Google Home Mini and Sonos Five speaker today and still the same problem of Radio 4 Extra being steamed. 

Userlevel 2

I can get BBC Radio 2 reliably with the voice command. "OK Google, play 88 to 91 FM". The same technique didn't seem to work for Radio 4 though...

I have had this same problem for ages. It is pathetic that it hasn’t been sorted out. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same issue here. Asking for BBC Radio 2 results in BBC Radio Cymru whilst asking for BBC Radio 4 gets you BBC Radio 4 Extra. In both cases, Google Home has correctly parsed the voice command and if it’s not linked to a Sonos as the target speaker, will correctly play the requested radio station. 

It’s a sign … time to learn Welsh.

This could finally tip the balance and make me learn Cymraeg. Sonos Dda. 

It’s a sign … time to learn Welsh.

Userlevel 2

I have a new development to report. Now when asking to play BBC Radio 2, I've had BBC Radio Cymru 2 play instead. Not everytime but has happened on three occasions. The voice logs are showing my voice was heard correctly.

Brilliant.

Badge

Slight workaround... 

If you play Radio 4 via the app, you can then use voice to stop it. 

The next time you're in the room, you can say something like, "Hey Google, resume kitchen" and it'll play Radio 4 again, assuming nothing else has been played in the intervening period. 

Works OK for us, as we pretty much only ever have Radio 4 on in the kitchen. 

Shocking that 6 months later we're still stuck with this issue! 

Hey @Tarpey@JamesDan@Gribin Isaf@purrlyne and others,

To make sure, I just tested it myself and can reproduce this issue. I’ve flagged it again with our engineers, but we don’t have anything else to share at this time. The workaround at the moment is to start playback through the Sonos app.

We appreciate your patience on this, and I’ll update here again if we have anything to share.

Any progress or work-arounds yet?  
This is so frustrating.

New Beam user and same problem. Was hoping the Beam could replace the google nest mini that we use in the living room but looks like it can’t because of this issue. Was considering expanding Sonos system to rest of home but won’t until this is fixed. Radio 4 is used constantly by the family so not being able to simply request it via voice is a deal breaker. I guess Sonos simply arn’t a viable voice controlled Smart speaker like they say. 

I’ve been backwards and forwards on this like everyone else on this for months. BBC Sounds had worked last year but stopped with the usual problem of it starting up but not playing the radio stream. I switched to Google and bumped into the Radio 4 issue.

I’ve unlinked and reset Alexa about 4 or 5 times without success UNTIL this w’end just passed. 

I uninstalled ALL skills on Alexa. 

I then asked Alexa on one of my Sonos (Move) to play BBC Radio 4 on BBC Sounds to see what would happen. Alexa referenced the fact that I had Sounds before and asked if I would like to enable it. I said Yes. It started up BBC Sounds, said I should link my account but went on to play BBC Radio 4. Its now been working for 3-4 days. I HAVENT linked my BBC skill / account in the Alexa app. I’ve reinstalled other skills and no issue. 

I’m not going to link the account as it works and am loathe to find it wont work again. 

Yeah, this thread is about how the BBC Radio & Google assistant integration is broken tho - appreciate it works with Alexa but that isn’t really a solution to this issue, 

I’ve been backwards and forwards on this like everyone else on this for months. BBC Sounds had worked last year but stopped with the usual problem of it starting up but not playing the radio stream. I switched to Google and bumped into the Radio 4 issue.

I’ve unlinked and reset Alexa about 4 or 5 times without success UNTIL this w’end just passed. 

I uninstalled ALL skills on Alexa. 

I then asked Alexa on one of my Sonos (Move) to play BBC Radio 4 on BBC Sounds to see what would happen. Alexa referenced the fact that I had Sounds before and asked if I would like to enable it. I said Yes. It started up BBC Sounds, said I should link my account but went on to play BBC Radio 4. Its now been working for 3-4 days. I HAVENT linked my BBC skill / account in the Alexa app. I’ve reinstalled other skills and no issue. 

I’m not going to link the account as it works and am loathe to find it wont work again. 

Badge

So interestingly the BBC Sounds app has just launched on Sonos.  

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/12/bbc-sounds-now-available-to-preview-in-the-sonos-app/

I was quite excited about this as I thought this might offer a resolution.  So I have just installed the app, which works well from what i have seen so far, but no matter what I try, if I use a voice command it always ends up playing BBC Radio 4 Extra from TuneIn, rather than BBC Radio 4 from BBC Sounds.

The BBC Sounds app is still in preview and has only just become available, so perhaps when it launches fully there is a chance that the BBC Radio 4 voice command issue will be picked up and resolved.  Here’s hoping at least.

As has been pointed out in this thread, it’s probably a simple fix but nobody at Sonos has the will to own up to an issue, let alone sort it. Sonos sells hardware and seems to have little care for the experience of its customers once the money has been pocketed.

Add the fact that it’s a problem created by one or more suspects (Sonos, Google, TuneIn and the BBC) and Sonos is happy not to be getting 100% of the flack.

We bought into Sonos because they promised to deliver. They sold us voice activation and an unrivalled list of radio stations. It is Sonos who are failing, not the others. It is Sonos who had (a lot of) our money.

Half a year for this issue is a disgrace! Fix this Sonos. The issue is yours and yours alone.

Badge

Mark, I've switched to using Alexa.  Not ideal because my entire house is on the Google ecosystem.  But BBC radio station selection by voice works.

Thanks Nodlesh, that’s good to know.  I may give this a try, although like you, my entire house is using Google assistant also.  So it’s it a bit of a pain to have to swap, but great to know there is an alternative option.

Hopefully this is something that will be resolved in future updates, but it sounds like it has been an issue for a while now.

Mark, I've switched to using Alexa.  Not ideal because my entire house is on the Google ecosystem.  But BBC radio station selection by voice works.

In other Google assistant news, I discovered over the weekend that the reason the Roam kept waking up from sleep every 27-29 minutes was something to do with Google assistant too.  Switched to Alexa and sleep mode seems to work as designed.

Oddly, even with my router off the Sonos was still waking on 27 minute boundaries.  No idea how that could work but it did.

Badge

I’ve just bought a couple of Sonos One devices for my kitchen and I discovered this very issue yesterday.  I was sure I was doing something wrong, so I Googled it and ended up here. 

No matter what I have tried it always plays BBC Radio 4 Extra instead of BBC Radio 4.  My Nest Hub device will play BBC Radio 4 as expected, when asked.  

I am able to select BBC Radio 4 from the Sonos app on my iPhone, or AirPlay it from my phone, but it would be much nicer to be able to walk in and use a voice command. 

I was curious to know if there is an alternative command I should be using.  What a pain. 

Me too.  I just bought Roam as a shower speaker and can’t get it to play Radio 4.  Shocked to see this has been running for over 6 months with no progress.

Not to mention the fact that sleep doesn’t work (keeps waking up randomly even), and google assistant alarm volume can’t be controlled.

All very disappointing.  I won’t be recommending Sonos.