Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

2346 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

So SMB v1 is no longer supported and need to migrate to V2, Mac has only one option, Enable SMB. From my understanding it’s already capable of accepting V2 and should have no trouble with finding my music library and adding it. But that’s not the case, There is a work around to adding it, but that was found by a forum member, not Sonos. There are steps of knowing what your real name is listed on your device, and sure it’s the correct font or having extra spaces or it will not work. It’a not seamless like in the past. I will say, once it’s added, it seems to work fine.

I asked chatGPT what version of SMB Mac OS X uses, it responded it depends on the version of OS X.  For Sonoma, the default is v3 but it will accept v2 client requests.  When I asked what was the source of that response, it provided a link to Apple SMB documentation. 

Unless you’re running a stone age version of Mac OS X, I don’t think the Mac (as server) is the problem.

So SMB v1 is no longer supported and need to migrate to V2, Mac has only one option, Enable SMB. From my understanding it’s already capable of accepting V2 and should have no trouble with finding my music library and adding it. But that’s not the case, There is a work around to adding it, but that was found by a forum member, not Sonos. There are steps of knowing what your real name is listed on your device, and sure it’s the correct font or having extra spaces or it will not work. It’a not seamless like in the past. I will say, once it’s added, it seems to work fine.

I asked chatGPT what version of SMB Mac OS X uses, it responded it depends on the version of OS X.  For Sonoma, the default is v3 but it will accept v2 client requests.  When I asked what was the source of that response, it provided a link to Apple SMB documentation. 

Unless you’re running a stone age version of Mac OS X, I don’t think the Mac (as server) is the problem.

I agree, it’s purely Sonos issue with connectivity. 

The new App is HORRIBLE, I am seriously thinking of leaving Sonos if it’s not fixed!

Userlevel 3

I did some research on Bluesound recently and it seems quite compelling. Does seem a little more pricey but to get away from this nonsense every year I think it would be worth it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Every year?

Userlevel 3

Ok every month I was trying to be optimistic. 

So many things wrong with the new App - I don’t know where to start!  It’s not intuitive, too many layers to do the most basic thing, can’t find things, can’t re-arrange things and the worst thing, I can’t access my music library!  I’ve read some of the comments on this debacle and totally agree that Sonos have seriously messed up here.  When is it going to be fixed given it is now past the middle of June?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well… finally tried the new app yesterday… took forever to find my system and the to load music and then only my move was seen… the Beam was not possible to control / see from the app, though it actually was playing…

not sure what to say…

Userlevel 2

I, like many of you, have made several posts discussing the disaster this apps rush to release has been. Yet, even with over 2000 posts Sonos has dug in its heels and just keeps trying to convince us that it’s not that bad or some of the issues are our network is faulty.

This should not be surprising since this is not new behavior for this CEO. He did the same thing at BlackBerry, failing to innovate and keep up with the industry as it left Blackberry behind.  He cannot admit the mistakes that were made and thinks the clients are unnecessarily complaining.

Just my two cents.

Badge

OK. I just saw this topic. So, my feedback on your new app? Horrible. Worse, I feel cheated. I have 5 Sonos speakers at home, the family listens to music stored on a NAS (yes, in 2024, consumers still prefer local music to expensive streaming services). Since your update, apart from serving as a paperweight, my 5 speakers are no longer used for ANYTHING.

And don't send me back to the PC app. Not only is it a regression in the way of using Sonos products, but I have just seen that it is asking for an update too. Needless to say, I'm not ready to press the 'Update' button…

Return the previous version of the application to us. It was perhaps not perfect but it satisfied me much more than the current one.

EDIT : Oh. And my NAS is set to SMB3, capable of working with systems using SMB 1 to 3. So, nothing to do with an obsolete setting.

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please hire a User Experience team that’s comparable to your audio engineering team… or maybe just hire a UX team. 

Hi Everyone

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

100% worst ‘update’ ever! I'll always remember how long previous improvements took to be implemented. Sorry, 0 hope on soft development. +now 0 understanding for a CEO that allowed this mess…. or there's no CEO?

Lately I´m giving a chance to the new app (of course keeping the old one in my other cellphone like a treasure...).

In the Android version of the app, apart of the usual dozens of “something went wrong” messages, songs randongly interrupted or skipped, sound lost while the progress bar is still showing the progress, unnacetable laggy performance, etc, etc…, does anybody know if there is a date in the plan, or if it is even in the updates plan, to be able again to add new songs to a Sonos List? And also to create a new one? So far, with the new app, I still can access and play the content of my old Sonos lists (for instance, I have one where I add my favourite dolby atmos songs from Apple Music), but I cannot add new songs to it or remove any from it, neither edit the list. To do that, I still need to go to the old app. The only option currently available in the new app is to add a song to Sonos favourites, which is of course not enought useful.

Edit: I´ve updated the app to the last version 5 minutes ago, and the numbers in the volume bar are now back, as well as the mute button (in the left side of the bar), but nothing concerning the Sonos lists.

you're cleaver… old things by Sonos work always better, but you're also impatient it will only take 5 years to walk back the steps to find what we lost with the upgraded soft. keep kalm and use vinils :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Let's hope they have Hiscox Insurance!

Is it possible just roll back to the previous version? Nothing works … it’s annoying 

Missing MixCloud playlists in new app is a major issue for me. I am not investing more with Sonos before that is fixed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi Everyone

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Thank you but it is not clear to me you have Sonos Playlist in your scope.  We need to be able to access our current playlist and creat new ones.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Is it possible just roll back to the previous version? Nothing works … it’s annoying 

I agree with this.  Because of the frustrations using the app, I don’t use it to much.  Each time I use it I find more problems.  I may think others do the same and that all problems have not been identified.  If customer satistfaction is important id think Sonos would wan to make user happy as fast as possible.  Surely fixing this new app will take months or years.  You should be able to make the old app available again with out to much work.  I don’t understand why you can’t do that.  My wife’s phone has the old app and that works fine.  You could squash all of the issues in just a few days.  

I agree with this.  Because of the frustrations using the app, I don’t use it to much.  Each time I use it I find more problems.  I may think others do the same and that all problems have not been identified.  If customer satistfaction is important id think Sonos would wan to make user happy as fast as possible.  Surely fixing this new app will take months or years.  You should be able to make the old app available again with out to much work.  I don’t understand why you can’t do that.  My wife’s phone has the old app and that works fine.  You could squash all of the issues in just a few days.  

Isn’t it obvious why they can’t let you revert?  It’s plastered all over their home page:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home

Userlevel 2
Badge

Here is the Sonos CEO Patrick Spence response from May:

"...it’s actually much easier to navigate, more responsive, and just a better overall experience, and that is the thing for the 99 percent of customers that you’re never going to hear from as you go through it."

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/22/24162168/sonos-ceo-patrick-spence-new-app-design-interview

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Isn’t it obvious why they can’t let you revert?  It’s plastered all over their home page:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home

I followed that link and it is just advertising Sonos products.  I see nothing that indicates we cannot revert.  I am not suggesting reverting the new app back to the old.  Leave the new app where it is on the store.  Take the old app and republish as a new app S2.  People can install either the new one or the old one S2.  Problem solved.

I followed that link and it is just advertising Sonos products.  I see nothing that indicates we cannot revert.  I am not suggesting reverting the new app back to the old.  Leave the new app where it is on the store.  Take the old app and republish as a new app S2.  People can install either the new one or the old one S2.  Problem solved.

Which would require maintenance and upgrades on two apps, which requires manhours, which costs money and time.  Not happening.  Every time there’s an app overhaul, there’s a percentage of users who long for the old app to one extent or another.  Much of this is just familiarity, though this time the missing features and overall reliability are certainly adding to the chaos.  The best thing to do is submit your issues with the new app, and say what changes you wish to see.   Because the old app is not coming back. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

"...it’s actually much easier to navigate, more responsive, and just a better overall experience, and that is the thing for the 99 percent of customers that you’re never going to hear from as you go through it."

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/22/24162168/sonos-ceo-patrick-spence-new-app-design-interview

I find that very interesting.  I understand there can be a 2% of users upset by changes, but in this case, I find this difficult to believe.  Where does Sonos get its 99 percent acceptance?  Sonos should put into the app, “How do you like it”.  Where all users could say yay or nay

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Which would require maintenance and upgrades on two apps, which requires manhours, which costs money and time.  Not happening.  Every time there’s an app overhaul, there’s a percentage of users who long for the old app to one extent or another.  Much of this is just familiarity, though this time the missing features and overall reliability are certainly adding to the chaos.  The best thing to do is submit your issues with the new app, and say what changes you wish to see.   Because the old app is not coming back. 

Ugh, no, they don’t have to maintain or update the old.  Just let it live out there for 6 months while the fix the new one.  If the old one starts having a lot of issues, take it down and then force the update.  The old one will have far less problems than the new one in that time.

It will take a little work, but a big bang for the buck as it will make many users happy.

Can we put something in the app or community that simply ask yay or nay for new app for all to see the percentages?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I find that very interesting.  I understand there can be a 2% of users upset by changes, but in this case, I find this difficult to believe.  Where does Sonos get its 99 percent acceptance?  Sonos should put into the app, “How do you like it”.  Where all users could say yay or nay

My guess is that the 99% number, like 95% of all statistics quoted, is a made up number.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Please make whatever updates needed so I can add my second gen sub to my arc, 300, 3rd gen sub setup. Been fighting with it for weeks! It was a fight to unpair the two 3rd gen subs from the arc resulting in me having to factory reset one of 3rd gen subs (had to do a swap, one of the 3rd gen subs to the fives for lossless and move that 2nd gen sub to the arc) but now cannot add that 2nd gen sub to my arc setup…. Please please please implement the necessary updates to make this happen.