Answered

Please can we go back to the old app

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I’ve been struggling with this new app for two hours now. So many things are missing or difficult to use compared to the old app. Please, can you continue to make the old app available for people who still prefer to use that one. I was fine with that app, and would like to revert to using it. Please give us a way to do that.

icon

Best answer by mattski 8 May 2024, 17:48

View original

44 replies

Userlevel 2

Massive regrets updating to the new app. Where have my 30 carefully curated playlists gone? Why can't I add a song to the bloody queue? Why is it so horribly slow? Abysmal. 

Userlevel 1

I don’t want to seem hyperbolic but this update ruins my son’s nighttime routine. Every evening we select a playlist and then drag the songs we want to hear to the top of the queue. Now queues are frozen and we can’t even edit/update/create Sonos playlists. Also, I noticed Tunein is gone as well. I’m willing to deal with change if some useful features are added. Instead, key features were lost with nothing new provided. I talked to the helpdesk asking what happened and they could only tell me to wait a few weeks to see if they add back in the features? WOW! Weeks? I’m not trying to be unkind but that's terrible. Sonos is supposed to be a prestige brand.  Otherwise, I just get a Bluetooth speaker linked to an old phone that lets me create my own playlists on something like YouTube music. Hell, I can even stream tunein if I wanted to. I’ve been avoiding this because I love how the Sonos speakers sound but breaking the functionality like this. It feels like their business priorities support something different then what I purchased the speakers for. I’m glad I didn’t invest more. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’ve been struggling with this new app for two hours now. So many things are missing or difficult to use compared to the old app. Please, can you continue to make the old app available for people who still prefer to use that one. I was fine with that app, and would like to revert to using it. Please give us a way to do that.

What a mess put the lats S2 cope before this release back to apple and release it as a S3 so nobody has to live without music!!!!!   I can really only play music with my MacBook now that still has the old version

for example I have a playlist that stops after every 2nd song now and is silent afterward.

Di you not test this software with real people?

This has to be the WORST software upgrade I have ever seen. It's crap. Good thing I held off upgrading my Sonos speakers. If the interface does not revert/improve, I'm dumping this POS.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Veeeery slow to start

Veeery slow to apply new vol level

Veeery slow to find and apply rooms / speakers

So, slow. Front end also still doesn't help. Unsexy.

I love the brand and solutions, please keep improving.

Best

Cannot adjust volume levels of separate speakers in a group play at all too…..

Userlevel 2
Badge

This has to be the WORST software upgrade I have ever seen. It's crap. Good thing I held off upgrading my Sonos speakers. If the interface does not revert/improve, I'm dumping this POS.

After 20 years, I am on this page too. 

Userlevel 3

Being a software developer for a long time (+ 30 years) i can guarantee you that this app upgrade would never have passed a proper Uat....it is a complete disaster!

Userlevel 1

I learned something this week. Never set any systems on automatic updates. I've read about this new version that was supposed to be so much better, but I don't see improvement, I see a lot of missing features I was using. I feel Sonos cares more about trying to attract new customers than keeping the ones that been using their products for over a decade. Shame on whoever gave the go ahead on this release.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Never gonna let sonos do another update automatically again…...as MP1er says……
Looks like sonos is not even listening to all the comments as all they've told me features will follow in the months ahead…..
My question is “why not revert back to s2 "
Many dirreret systems…...but the apple app has not yet gave us the chance to use s2 as an alternative till they sort out this Mess……....

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Being a software developer for a long time (+ 30 years) i can guarantee you that this app upgrade would never have passed a proper Uat....it is a complete disaster!

good on you henkiev…...many are wondering WHY this new software has ever been released like this.…

Have they been in collaboration with others who can access s2 easy ( likes of non apple app) who can't revert back as this way locks us into the NEW disaster app….…

Lucky I've stopped the app updating on my iPhone……

Never again Sonos…...shame on my system to admit to everyone now sonos went from10/10 to a minus10/10…... 

To say I'm peeved is an understatement……. I will keep on and onto sonos whilst this issue is fully addressed……. Just wish I had a big YouTube channel or tv station to exert pressure on those at the top…....

I am so frustrated by the removal of the “play next” fuction. I cannot “DJ” anymore at all which is how i listen to music. My whole Sonos system is just kind of worthless to me now. Sorry to vent. Many of you fell the same way i think. I dont know what to do except hammer on the Sonos folks to encourage them to add it back.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

After updating to the new app on my iPhone, I lost access to all but 2 of my playlists. Unfortunately, the 2 playlists I can access are the ones I want. 

The MIA playlists still exist and the metadata is stored on the SONOS speakers, or something like that  

If I run the previous controller on my PC or iPad I can see and play my playlists. 

I really hope SONOS make the previous version version available so users can choose between the previous and new version. 

What a mess!! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Looks like sonos has given us all a Def ear on this new update…..

Shame on the premium 5* overnight going to 0* for many long term sonos products now useless to go from s1 and s2 to this shambles……

Badge

This app totally sucks this new renovation that they did they made it worse. What about the volume control It’s a real pain in the ass to use doesn’t function on iPads sometimes on the iPhone it does when you tap on it it doesn’t give you all the zones. What about the Subwoofer controls? They don’t even work. What a joke. I’ve spent thousands of dollars For myself with Sonos and I am an installer as well. This is why I use Creston. Don’t forget how a pain in the ass. It is now just to change your Subwoofer level. You have to go to like three different screens. How about the EQ? It’s a real pain in the ass to go back just to get to that now whoever undeveloped this was a child.

This update sucks, typical of most software updates in this modern world. Someone is trying to justify their bonus when nothing was required. The old app just worked, the new one is slow and is constantly refreshing itself to connect to the network - and has less features! . I really don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to make something work that the OEM has deliberately screwed up.

I will probably end up trashing my Sonos hardware as there are other much easier ways of streaming sounds now available.

Give me the old app back....

I uninstalled the new app and installed the old Sonos 16.1 from the APK file. Guess what? Everything now works perfectly again and was beginning to think my system had crapped out. Sonos please take note - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Software update for my Sonos products run from desktop app. Long update. Guess what, desktop app no longer working. This is just a joke Sonos! Excellent way to loose long standing loyal supporters, fighting to get this almost worthless system functioning is not what I bought into...

Userlevel 1

Background

1. Have over 15 devices
  2. been user for 10 years
  3. worked In technology and marketing for 25+ years

1. after upgrade all of my devices are not working 
  2. support wait time is over 1.5 hours
  3. Complete abomination of software release; have been in tech since the 1980’s and this is definitely worst system upgrade I have ever encountered 
  4. Sonos CTO is ignoring issues saying it took “courage” to release this abortion of an upgrade.
  5. Sonos brand will be damaged permanently if they do react quick and show some remorse
  6. Loyal customers are being ignored
  7. Should immediately allow for reversion to previous version !!
  8. They need to get it stabilized and then replace tech leadership.

Total customer, PR and marketing nightmare; will loose thousands of new customers and infuriate long standing loyal brand ambassadors like myself.

File under “How to ruin a great product company in 24 hours with one upgrade! 

I uninstalled the new app and installed the old Sonos 16.1 from the APK file. Guess what? Everything now works perfectly again and was beginning to think my system had crapped out. Sonos please take note - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Can you explain how you installed the old app?  Not sure what Apk file is.  Thanks.