Answered

My great Vinyl dilemma: the line in source level Bug and sonos lack of response

• 6 December 2019
  • 83 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

Badge +2

Ryan S, 

this thread is about source level volume, WHICH IS STILL NOT FIXED. You still cannot select level 9. Delay was never an issue for me. 
when, oh when, will source level 9 be fixed?

please respond as to the above, Ryan

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, with the 10.6.2 update today, the delay issue should be fixed. There are also some new settings that you can use with your line-in to adjust the delay (still a minimum of 75 ms) in new ways. Make sure you’ve set the line-in to uncompressed, and you can pick your delay now.

Badge +2

But really, I am simply asking for the creators (Sonos) to provide full functionality out of their app. What’s so unreasonable about that, when we spend hundreds or even thousands on their hardware. 😊

Badge +2

Thank you very kindly. Glad to entertain. 😜

OCD audiophiles are always so amusing. ;)

Badge +2

THANK YOU Edward R. I prefer that as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve deleted some responses from this topic. Let’s try to keep things civil and constructive, please. 

Badge +2

Another weekly post and nothing fixed yet. 

Badge +2

Weekly check in. Not solved yet. Know it may take a while, but just keeping this thread alive. 

Badge +2

That’s the most useful info I’ve gotten yet. 
thank you, jgatie😊

Going on 3 MONTHS!

I assure you, even using an agile process, the software development, test, and release cycle is longer than 3 months.

Badge +2

Going on 3 MONTHS!

Badge +2

My weekly post. No solution by Sonos to this simple bug verified in their lab yet. 😞

Badge +2

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I admire your optimism, if nothing else. Good luck. 

Badge +2

No resolution yet. Just keeping this post alive until Sonos fixes this bug. 

Badge +2

From the aforementioned article:

I love vinyl records, but I’m under no illusion when it comes to the compromises. On paper, digital is superior in almost every way from a technical standpoint. However, specifications can also be deceiving, and current mastering practices often lead to vinyl releases having greater dynamic range than their digital counterparts, which is ironic.

couldnt agree more

Badge +2

So the distortion on level 10 is mild and not constant. Also, I don’t have it for older albums recorded before the “volume wars” with all the compression etc used in latter day studios. Level Nine was a cd volume matched perfect level for my tt. 
thanks again guys for your interest here. 
briefly, yes, I think 24/96 high end dac playback has many advantages and sounds up to snuff with vinyl. Thanks God for Qobuz and Tidal!  Use em a lot. 

Got it, thanks. Another reason why vinyl has fundamental issues hindering performance/sound quality.

Lol. I have absolutely no clue what that bit means. I can understand a cartridge obliterating inner grooves:-).

Try this:

https://www.yoursoundmatters.com/vinyl-record-inner-groove-distortion-simple-explanation/

Absolutely obliterates inner groove distortion. 

Lol. I have absolutely no clue what that bit means. I can understand a cartridge obliterating inner grooves:-).

I seem to recall the lowest sensitivity, at level 1, corresponds to 2V. There used to be a FAQ on this, but it’s been pulled.

I’ll bow to Ryan’s wisdom but if the front-end scaling is analog it would surprise me as it would surely make more sense to go ADC to 24 or 32bit and then scale digitally to align with 16bit. The Port might do it differently to, say, the ZP80.

The at vm540ml is a great cart for the money. Absolutely obliterates inner groove distortion. 

“Mitigates” maybe. “Obliterates” is challenged by the laws of physics, given the linear resolution and tracking geometry issues inherent in the medium.

Now this shouldn’t be extremely apparent between what we call line-in level 9 (0.8V) and line-in level 10 (0.6V), but it may be just enough distortion on the audio line to cause issues.

That is very useful Ryan, thanks; can you find out and let us know what line in level at 1 is? Just curious.

I have to say that 0.6V isn't all that high; I had a Quad preamp that provide a range of input sensitivities where the highest sensitivity option went down to 0.1. I doubt that  0.6V at 10 will cause input signal clipping and bears out why I don't hear any distortion at 10 on my Connect Amps/Connects.

My experience also suggests that any speaker sound level differences between 8, 9 and 10 are not large and there is enough left in the volume sliders of the Sonos kit to compensate for these; to me the advantage of 10 is it leaves levels closer to those obtained from the NAS or the net for a given slider position.

Badge +2

I still feel however the suboptimal sensitivity of 8 vs 9 is an audible difference. When it’s fixed and I get 9 back, I’ll seriously give an honest listen  

Badge +2

Thanks Ryan so much for clarification here. I was initially told it was digital domain, but am hearing clearly today it’s analog. Sorry to jgatie, who was right all along.